test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Combat build still alive!

auntjimimaauntjimima Member Posts: 94 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Wilds
Believe it or not,

I have found a way for this to work!

Full seldarine set, 4/4 set bonus of profound (though purified may work here too i suppose), bloodtheft enchant, and wilds medicine of course, combined with a soft regen and lifesteal cap.

THAT'S 6 sources of of incoming heals!

currently i only have the +10% incoming heal from the first of the last 3 boons in ToD. Soon I will also get the DC artifact and the last two boons to chalk my incoming heals up to over 20%!

on top of that, seld set allows me to passively stack deflect making my halfling's % chance just under 50%...

I know many people do not use seldarine set because the artifact is very lack luster in stats. However, for a combat hr, the extra source of incoming heals (combined with other sources) is tremendous! not to mention a useful artifact in pvp to slot!

With DC artifact on the way, seldarine slotted, and a waters artifact... I also passively boost my defense stat up to around 2.2k, and with the +8 AC bonus on top of that its like adding +850ish defense-- raising my DR to around 37-38%
then add the 21% from tenacity....thats like 45% ish DR (multiplicative addition, not additive) EDIT

This build at the moment is viable and can definitely compete in PVP.

I still have to work on boosting my crit (using GPF since this is not high) and some recovery, but that can easily be done through switching around of some boons, enchants, and (in the furture) different drow armor pieces.

There's more to the build but that about covers what makes it viable in pvp. let me know what you think? or if you got any questions ^_^

Also, wondering if there are any other combat builds still alive and well, and what they use/do maybe a bit differently?

deuces,

Le Ringo
Post edited by auntjimima on

Comments

• kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Welcome back combat HR
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Combat HR is an abomination. Real rangers use they're bow.

And on a more serious note: cryptic never intended for pure melee HR builds to exist. This path was brought by popular demand in mod 4 after people were forcing a melee build on the original HR. That's why they're investing in trapper so much and its becoming popular.
  • charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I still think combat is the best all around build. Trapper is very poor match against other ranged and TR (as with everything else atm). But I don't know why you'd go with bloodtheft instead of vorpal. Lifesteal depends on damage and you do more damage with vorpal.
  • auntjimimaauntjimima Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I use my bow, just my real damage comes from combat. ranged at wills, and the ranged careful attack... on CDs and start of battle, or when people run.

this is a place for discussion on combat hr, not a place for arguing role of hr. It's my toon, ill play as i please tyvm
    edited January 2015
    charmagma wrote: »
    I still think combat is the best all around build. Trapper is very poor match against other ranged and TR (as with everything else atm). But I don't know why you'd go with bloodtheft instead of vorpal. Lifesteal depends on damage and you do more damage with vorpal.

bloodtheft is an armor enchant, provides extra source of incoming heals
    edited January 2015
    my weapon enchant is GPF, since combat depends largely on DoTs
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You do not get 60% dr you get at most 46% dr since 38%*21%=7.98% it is not additive but multiplicative. If it was additive gfs would be hitting the dr cap with ease in pvp.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
    edited January 2015
    ahh good to know! thanks! EDITED original post
    edited January 2015
    auntjimima wrote: »
    I use my bow, just my real damage comes from combat. ranged at wills, and the ranged careful attack... on CDs and start of battle, or when people run.

this is a place for discussion on combat hr, not a place for arguing role of hr. It's my toon, ill play as i please tyvm
    Not arguing, explaining (with a bit of humor) why trapper will always get more love, and outperform combat. Which in turn convert the hardcore min-maxers to trapper. (trapper requires a lot of skill though).
    I myself play a (non-optimal) archery build, just because I enjoy it. So yeah play as you wish xD
  • etnad321etnad321 Banned Users Posts: 52
    edited January 2015
    Wish they already fixed carefull attack so it wouldnt proc 4-10 times with dot enchant sloted....
  • ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    double post
    edited January 2015

This is a lie. Combat is absolute rubbish for premades compared to trapper. It provides little to no team value, although it excels in 1v1s, except against most notably TRs and DCs, and possibly CWs because of Storm Fury. Trapper is better against the aforementioned 3 classes, and also possibly better against GFs. The reason why no one runs combat anymore is because while it is one of the best classes for 1v1s, trapper is simply more fun to play and is also much better in team settings while still maintaining an admirable 1v1 capability.

Trapper is NOT a poor match against ranged classes; vs a CW it's at least a 50-50 chance, and if you don't get dailied/jumped you should always be coming out on top, and assuming you're not terrible at the class, you'll usually win.

Vorpal sucks for combat HRs. GPF was and is the best because of bugged CA. Please don't give misinformation out.
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    Not arguing, explaining (with a bit of humor) why trapper will always get more love, and outperform combat. Which in turn convert the hardcore min-maxers to trapper. (trapper requires a lot of skill though).
    I myself play a (non-optimal) archery build, just because I enjoy it. So yeah play as you wish xD

Combat outperformed trapper by a lot in mod 4. It was only with the recent buffs that trapper became better. Trapper never "always [gets] more love", it's only because it's the FOTM atm that people are playing it, and it's also more fun to play than combat is.

Trapper requires a lot of skill? Please don't kid yourself, because landing encounters and dailies you can't ever miss takes a lot of skill. Granted, it's much less brainless than combat is, and it is possible to be very good at the build, but the top HRs are few and far between. Once roots are fixed to be dodgeable we should be seeing more difference in the skill disparity.

And yes, trapper is more enjoyable than combat is.
    Full seldarine set, 4/4 set bonus of profound (though purified may work here too i suppose), bloodtheft enchant, and wilds medicine of course, combined with a soft regen and lifesteal cap.

THAT'S 6 sources of of incoming heals!

currently i only have the +10% incoming heal from the first of the last 3 boons in ToD. Soon I will also get the DC artifact and the last two boons to chalk my incoming heals up to over 20%!

on top of that, seld set allows me to passively stack deflect making my halfling's % chance just under 50%...

With DC artifact on the way, seldarine slotted, and a waters artifact... I also passively boost my defense stat up to around 2.2k, and with the +8 AC bonus on top of that its like adding +850ish defense-- raising my DR to around 37-38%
    then add the 21% from tenacity....thats like 45% ish DR (multiplicative addition, not additive) EDIT

This build at the moment is viable and can definitely compete in PVP.

Also, wondering if there are any other combat builds still alive and well, and what they use/do maybe a bit differently?

The problem with combat is that is provides no team value, and is overshadowed by trapper in almost every team aspect. The only reason I'd take a combat HR to a premade would be if they could consistently hold or clear a TR.

While building tanky is an interesting idea, especially with the addition of the seldarine set (although you're not really going to get hit for 10% of your HP much), I think building for damage + HP is a better idea because more damage = more lifesteal = more tankiness. Which means, instead of losing damage for tankiness, you get more damage and tankiness, and heals for that matter.

Role of the HR is included in a discussion on combat HR. And no one here is telling you how to play, just what we think of the various HR builds.
    edited January 2015
    ralexinor wrote: »

Trapper requires a lot of skill? Please don't kid yourself, because landing encounters and dailies you can't ever miss takes a lot of skill. Granted, it's much less brainless than combat is, and it is possible to be very good at the build, but the top HRs are few and far between. Once roots are fixed to be dodgeable we should be seeing more difference in the skill disparity.

And yes, trapper is more enjoyable than combat is.
    1. keeping track on which stance is better to be at and maintaining the right distance from your target.
    2. keeping track on 6 encounters cooldowns (when you only see 3 at a time).
    3. timing you're roots and switch stances for biting snares.
    4. coordinating all the above together.
    Now please compare this to "pew-pew, throwing the kitchen sink at you" archery and "I hit you, you hit me but I gain health faster than you" combat.

Do that right and as a trapper, you'll be better than any combat and archery builds. Its right it took cryptic a few tries to give trapper the "love", but that how they envisioned the class .
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    what about combat VS trapper senario , i think combat will be very disadvantaged , since one "constricting arow" will make it hard for him to land any melee skill .
    edited January 2015
    1. keeping track on which stance is better to be at and maintaining the right distance from your target.
    Now please compare this to "pew-pew, throwing the kitchen sink at you" archery and "I hit you, you hit me but I gain health faster than you" combat.

Do that right and as a trapper, you'll be better than any combat and archery builds. Its right it took cryptic a few tries to give trapper the "love", but that how they envisioned the class .

That's not difficult to do. Once you get used to the build it's easy and becomes muscle memory somewhat. Also assuming you run a good rotation, your ranged skills are off cooldown as soon as you finish with your melee skills.

Trapper is inherently better than combat/archery because of what it brings to the team. Atm because of how skillless the undodgeable roots are, it's hard to not be.

Fyi, I main a trapper hr. I'm not trying to bash the build or class, I'm simply stating what my perceptions are.

Also combat wins over trapper period, because you die from bugged CA procs, and combat deflects roots all day unless you're lucky enough to get crits and non-deflected roots.
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited January 2015

1. Very simple, your range skills at ANY range, and your melee skills close up, or fox shift as gap closer.
    2. You can press Tab so fast to check which encounters you can use, and you should always have encounters that's off cooldown, and those encounters will reduce cooldown of the other stance, doesn't take much brain power. I have a rotation that I can use with my eyes closed.
    3. When half of your encounters roots and procs master trapper the moment you switch stance, there's not much to time there. You can be spamming strong roots non stop, again, what timing? The only timing is against a TR that you can't see.

Just because there are 6 encounters, it doesn't make it more complicated to play this class. It's in fact easier as you will more likely to have an encounter to use straight away. As a trapper, most of your encounters are useful and can save you. I actually think all the previous FotM HR builds required more skills. Things like marauder's to use forest ghost, and casting aim shot, now that required a lot more timing and a lil bit of skills.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • muramirimuramiri Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's not difficult to do. Once you get used to the build it's easy and becomes muscle memory somewhat. Also assuming you run a good rotation, your ranged skills are off cooldown as soon as you finish with your melee skills.

Trapper is inherently better than combat/archery because of what it brings to the team. Atm because of how skillless the undodgeable roots are, it's hard to not be.

Fyi, I main a trapper hr. I'm not trying to bash the build or class, I'm simply stating what my perceptions are.

Also combat wins over trapper period, because you die from bugged CA procs, and combat deflects roots all day unless you're lucky enough to get crits and non-deflected roots.

trapper is more multicore. he can provide aoe dmg, control, checkpoint 1 or 3 capture ("rat-ing" them) and tank or, he can fight for the 2nd cp.

mele and archer are specializated in smthig: mele is a checkpoint tank or enemy checkpoint (1/3) capture. archery is DD, with a controller in pair they can fight for central checkpoint and, if needed, defend checkpoint 1/3 against "rats".

also, the 3 styles are very different with differnt mechanics and purpose.

of cource a trapper can take the role of CW(dmg and control) of GWF (support for DDs) or archer (DD), he can even tank the 2nd cp like a GF (the ability to skillspam allows this), he can take the role of rogue (enemy cp capture- "rating")), while archer and mele have their roles (DD / tanking, "rating") and can't do well anything else.
    edited January 2015
    This is a lie. Combat is absolute rubbish for premades compared to trapper. It provides little to no team value, although it excels in 1v1s, except against most notably TRs and DCs, and possibly CWs because of Storm Fury. Trapper is better against the aforementioned 3 classes, and also possibly better against GFs. The reason why no one runs combat anymore is because while it is one of the best classes for 1v1s, trapper is simply more fun to play and is also much better in team settings while still maintaining an admirable 1v1 capability.

Trapper is NOT a poor match against ranged classes; vs a CW it's at least a 50-50 chance, and if you don't get dailied/jumped you should always be coming out on top, and assuming you're not terrible at the class, you'll usually win.

Vorpal sucks for combat HRs. GPF was and is the best because of bugged CA. Please don't give misinformation out.

Best at 1v1 is pretty much the definition of best all around build, isn't it? It has no weaknesses and can take on any class toe to toe. I don't premade, I pug anyway. Me vs them, that's true pvp, not group hump a flagpole in a circle.

To me a 50/50 chance against CW is terrible, I have no problems with combat. Also, vorpal is excellent for combat build, at least I seem to do okay with it:

11_17_2014.png
    edited January 2015
    Best at 1v1 is pretty much the definition of best all around build, isn't it? It has no weaknesses and can take on any class toe to toe. I don't premade, I pug anyway. Me vs them, that's true pvp, not group hump a flagpole in a circle.

To me a 50/50 chance against CW is terrible, I have no problems with combat. Also, vorpal is excellent for combat build, at least I seem to do okay with it:

11_17_2014.png

Who cares about 1v1s when domination is a team effort? Also Combat HR atm is nowhere near best for 1v1s, just fyi. Any TR build will kill you easily (assuming proper spec), a DPS DC will kill you, and a healing DC will just laugh at your lack of damage. CWs jumping you will still onerotation you and kill you from 80ft away, which is the same for trapper.

You want to know something? Using that vorpal puts you at pretty low tier for 1v1s because it sucks. Also pug matches = killing 5k gs newbies with at-wills. Don't try wave that BS in my face.
  • piejalpiejal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think it's depend on individual gameplay
    trapper become highlight because the pvp population being dominate by TR and to kill TR root em is th3 best way to kill TR
    In term of damage and survivabilty combat is still better than trapper but trapper provide support on team
    i think in pvp HR in pvp are not suitable for stack DR since HR cannot hit 50%+ DR and in pvp build with new ring craft that give 250*2 arpen that at least will make 20%+ arpen, ROI +-15% DR with invest 2k+ def stat and cloack bonus effect that i think ap regen is more valueable and many piercing damage mekanic is not worthed
    deflec with wild med and bonus set profond + stack hp still the best defend mekanic for HR
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Pug = true PvP? lol

If you think vorpal is the best option for combat, and that combat build has no weaknesses, it clearly shows your lack of understanding of the build vs other builds and where the damage is coming from.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vorpal combat HR makes no sense.
    you already lack damage without let careful attack multiproc you dont have any chances.
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    vorpal combat HR makes no sense.
    you already lack damage without let careful attack multiproc you dont have any chances.

I was thinking this too. Greater plaguefire or maybe a flaming gets the job done so much better, and because of the self-preservation a combat HR can get from Wild's medicine, etc, the ticking both enchants give helps with the healing.
    edited January 2015
    So i started this post because i was bored, waiting for maintenance... And wow, got alot of cool responses! cool. 1 day after maintenance, I was also bored.... lol. I switched to trapper, and kept with the things i was using before. It's pretty awesome! got a tankyish trapper now. :) its fun. seld set, profound set, and bloodtheft even more useful now, as i dance arround under 50% hp even more than before-- proccing more bloodthefts! ummm yah.

Trapper is better. I can still use similar rotations and have a like playstyle to what i had as combat with constricting arrow, mauraders, and foxes.

I started with trying to make combat work, and fell into a nice tanky trapper. I like this so far... see how it works after last two boons and once i replace with dc artifact, or GWF artifact for a bit more hp... idk, still a ways away.
    edited January 2015
    Who cares about 1v1s when domination is a team effort? Also Combat HR atm is nowhere near best for 1v1s, just fyi. Any TR build will kill you easily (assuming proper spec), a DPS DC will kill you, and a healing DC will just laugh at your lack of damage. CWs jumping you will still onerotation you and kill you from 80ft away, which is the same for trapper.

You want to know something? Using that vorpal puts you at pretty low tier for 1v1s because it sucks. Also pug matches = killing 5k gs newbies with at-wills. Don't try wave that BS in my face.

Okay. I have a 45 to 1 kill to death ratio. Nothing kills me easily. Maybe it kills YOU easily. Seems to be a massive skill disparity here.
    edited January 2015
    Okay. I have a 45 to 1 kill to death ratio. Nothing kills me easily. Maybe it kills YOU easily. Seems to be a massive skill disparity here.

lmao you use vorpal as a combat HR, seems to be a massive skill and knowledge disparity here. Go fight an actual pvper before you preach being good, because it seems like you know very little about the game if you think "nothing kills [you] easily" in this mod. You'd probably die to my 15k gs SW and even faster to my TR, considering you use vorpal and will lack the healing and damage to pose a challenge to either.

KDR means nothing, especially when you're pugging against 5k gs newbies and bots.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lmao you use vorpal as a combat HR, seems to be a massive skill and knowledge disparity here. Go fight an actual pvper before you preach being good, because it seems like you know very little about the game if you think "nothing kills [you] easily" in this mod. You'd probably die to my 15k gs SW and even faster to my TR, considering you use vorpal and will lack the healing and damage to pose a challenge to either.

KDR means nothing, especially when you're pugging against 5k gs newbies and bots.

You should know that above writer is if not the best Hr so one them and myself at 23k gs 45k hp go down in mere seconds to Trs and a good cw that catch you offguard kills you in 3 sec flat while you are cced.

A 11k power sent gwf stunning you will kill ya if his aoe crit and high geared sw will do the same if your deflect fails.

I only pug myself and my kd ratio is 3-1 a bit low but I grumble and fight it out in the mid even in loosing matches so even if it would be a bit higher if i played more carefully at 17 k gs your a snack to any well geared good pvper but a healing dc and turtle gf.

Nowdays Trs seem to run 2 together with BB itc dubble proc daze builds and trust me you die without even get a chanse to use anything
    nm if your 17 or 24 gs melee trapper or whatever.

One thing though melee is dead in the water when it comes to comparison to trapper in pugs. I havent faced one single melee that offer any challange what so ever after i switched to trapper, maby they are out there but if i would fight some other hr I sure wish he is melee couse trapper can fry my *** in seconds if he gets the first shot while my attension is elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor listen to relaxinor and learn something from some that have probably more experiance then most of us put together.

Best
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    one last thing:

combat + g.plague fire + pathfinder mainhand is still really viable, just not as usefull and definitely not as fun.
  • twoheadedpuigtwoheadedpuig Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How does vorpal compare to GPF for a PF/Trapper pvp spec?
    edited January 2015
    How does vorpal compare to GPF for a PF/Trapper pvp spec?

depends on your spec, and crit chance. my spec will have more hp and inc heals so and just above 25% crit. so i use gpf and stack the rest in power. roll a lower dex, higher wisdom (or use wisdom belt)... you probably want vorp.

Also with gpf, my careful attack at will actually does something. Im not just benefiting off crits and when i root