test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Corrupted or Purified for PvE?

alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Wilds
I finally dropped my black ice bracers yesterday and the idea of creating a set flirted across my mind. I'm not exactly thrilled with having to feed an endless hungry monster but figured I wanted to give it a try anyways.

I play a strictly PvE combat HR and I am not sure which set to go with. I like the offensiveness of the corrupted set but that means shedding quite a bit of my defenses/deflection.

The purified set gives me defenses however it's extremely defensive. In PvE, the lifesteal I have now along with my feats is more than enough to keep me alive.

What would be the recommended set?

I currently wear a full Royal Guard. The set bonus still might be too good to give up though.
Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Take a look at Xim's build, which is built around Corrupted?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I use the corrupted set on my Archery spec'd Stormwarden. It feels a little glass cannon-y, honestly, but I'm trying to add in a little bit more durability. I've got Lathander's belt for the deflect/hit point bonus 2 points of dex and con will provide, and lathander's cloak for that nice +8 AC bonus you get once it's maxed out. I'm not really holding out hope for the eye of lathander to drop, but those two pieces are good enough without the set bonus. I also slotted in deflect reinforcements. That helped a little. Will probably also use the GWF sigil for a few extra hit points once I get my GWF lvl'd.

Since I wanted a primarily offensive build it actually works out well. My main issues with it are the crazy aggro it seems to generate, and dealing with the big spike damage.

I'm getting all tied up in my issues here, though. What kind of build are you using?
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Take a look at Xim's build, which is built around Corrupted?

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
    discorice wrote: »
    I'm getting all tied up in my issues here, though. What kind of build are you using?

I run a pure combat spec, everything filled out besides T1 serpent weave and T2 warden's courage. I used to build more towards survivability since mod 4-5 has hard hitting mobs. I'm starting to tone back a little now and go more offensive since I have the full lathander's set and the OH which provides more deflection.

At a quick glance, if I took off all my royal guard, it brings me from 40% deflection down to 35%, not the end of the world since I always use lone wolf, but I don't like it either. Armor pen may become an issue though, so this would involve reworking quite a bit of stats.

I use normal PF for weapon enchant.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is armor pen really an issue when you're using plague fire? Seems like power and crit would be more of a priority since you've got significant defense reduction already. Also combat spec seems more survivable anyway. I think since you have the lathander set on top of combat spec, corrupted sounds like the way to go.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you are only PVE, Id switch to trapper and run Royal Guard. It has a nice synergy and since you use PF will work even better.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • reemusbodeemusreemusbodeemus Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Based on the info you've given I would say corrupted hands down. I've run combat with full corrupted and it rocks. If you're worried about survival don't. I had zero issues with survival with the corrupted set. The one thing you will miss is the Royal Guard set bonus. The good news is you will probably do more dps with the corrupted set based on the stats you will gain and the corrupted set bonus is nice too.

Now if you're thinking of doing some pvp on the side I would reccomend 2 purified and 2 corrupted.
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    If you are only PVE, Id switch to trapper and run Royal Guard. It has a nice synergy and since you use PF will work even better.

I've heard this a lot lately, and I honestly disagree. One of the main advantages of going Trapper is you can pretty drop Royal Guard in favour of a more offensively statted set (Corrupted, Draconic Templar maybe) and, with enough recovery, still cycle your encounters back to back. Royal Guard becomes - as much as it pains me, I honestly love that set - superfluous. I still use it as a PF trapper right now, because of my lack of something better (Still working on my Corrupted and Templar sets) but intend to get out of it as soon as possible to drop some ArP and gain some power and crit.

-

However, OP, if you're a Stormwarden combat, I'd stick with Royal Guard. Flurry, Clear the Ground, Blade Storm, etc. will proc it like crazy. Purified will provide a nice defensive and survivability boost, but a Combat HR shouldn't really need it. Just ride the lifesteal train.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    edited December 2014
    I've decided to make the corrupted set, though like mentioned on here, I don't see myself really using it. RG is still too good to give up.

After I get the set together, might give it a whirl or two.

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure if you've ever used overload slots before, but a couple of red dragon glyphs is a nice damage boost. They shine to the fullest with a SW combat build. If you use the RoS + rapid strike or clear the ground combo (with a plaguefire chant) you will see a very decent damage increase.

Overload slots + stat increase + corrupted 4 pc bonus will yield you more dps than the RG set. That was the result for me anyway.

All of this assumes you will keep the BI set at T3.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Exactly how long does it take to complete a BI set now?
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was an advocate for the RG set both as Archer and Combat but I have since gravitated away from it on the Archer in favour of the DL set. I also have the CBI set on Archer and ran with that until I completed the DL set. The defensive stats on CBI set are really good, just lacks a bit of ArP and I always ended up being about 1% below the ArP cap. Of course with the RG or DL set I'm over the ArP cap but rather over than under.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited December 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Exactly how long does it take to complete a BI set now?

Apparently forever. I was able to craft 2 pieces until I ran out of refined black ice. Without an extra gauntlet, it's taking so long just to refine the ice. I don't see myself using this set for another week at least. Still have to buy and craft the armor and boots. sigh.

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Glad to be done with it. I got so much Black Ice from questing and mining back in the day that I had the stuff coming out of my ears. Recently I starting running KR again and there you get loads more Black Ice altho I think it's raw. IIRC it costs less than 5k BI to charge the four pieces from T2 to T3.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jaegernl wrote: »
    I've heard this a lot lately, and I honestly disagree. One of the main advantages of going Trapper is you can pretty drop Royal Guard in favour of a more offensively statted set (Corrupted, Draconic Templar maybe) and, with enough recovery, still cycle your encounters back to back. Royal Guard becomes - as much as it pains me, I honestly love that set - superfluous. I still use it as a PF trapper right now, because of my lack of something better (Still working on my Corrupted and Templar sets) but intend to get out of it as soon as possible to drop some ArP and gain some power and crit.

-

However, OP, if you're a Stormwarden combat, I'd stick with Royal Guard. Flurry, Clear the Ground, Blade Storm, etc. will proc it like crazy. Purified will provide a nice defensive and survivability boost, but a Combat HR shouldn't really need it. Just ride the lifesteal train.

I just started to use the Templar set on my trapper and love it. Royal Guard is still a good choice in fights with large static targets where you make sure that Rain is constantly hitting, but Templar is close, tough you need to be more precise in your rotations. Everywhere else Templar is better: the extra tankiness is great for a Trapper as it helps you to stay in the middle of the fight, giving combat advantage to the other players and reducing damage to everybody, by the way the high recovery helps in the clerics phase at Tiamat where triggering the Guard bonus is more difficult with scattered enemies.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited December 2014
    I am hearing that HR's are liking the Templar set. What am I missing here besides the straight up stats? 5% damage and crit reduction doesn't seem.. exciting. Or are the stats just too good regardless the set bonus?

werewolf.jpg
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm using DT/ DL ATM and my issue with full DT is that I end up short on ArPen (instead of over which is what happens with most of our gear). My math says it would take a fully refined BI cloack, Personalized Archmage ring, and neclace of surrering on pet to bring me back to 24% without penalizing other stats. Alternately I could fill in some blanks with ArPen armor kits.
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Honestly? I don't use either corrupted or purified. I use 2/2 for the odd, casual PvP match, but in PvE I used DT/DL as well. I have around 1.9k arm pen, but I don't really notice much difference to when I had far more. I am a pathfinder spec, as well, however I chain attacks (archery spec) and I mix single-target with burst AOE. Granted I'm not always going to outdps some CWs, SWs and the odd occasion TRs, but it works perfectly for me. If it was me, I'd make a full corrupted set, but I swear by the setup that I have right now.
    edited December 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    I'm using DT/ DL ATM and my issue with full DT is that I end up short on ArPen (instead of over which is what happens with most of our gear).

I was playing with DT on preview last night to crunch some numbers and I was severely lacking ArP as well. I had to give up about 700 power just to make it up. To me that wasn't viable tradeoff.

Tried straight up draconic.. had about 200 less power since I had to make up ArP, then I wondered, this isn't netting me much more of anything I wanted to give up my RG set bonus.

So now I'm back to corrupted BI. Making my armor piece.. just need to refine more ice for the boots.

Really want to try to move forward in the game but so far, I'm still seeing myself stuck with RG. Without any CD reduction feats as combat, I feel highly dependent on it.

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    I was playing with DT on preview last night to crunch some numbers and I was severely lacking ArP as well. I had to give up about 700 power just to make it up. To me that wasn't viable tradeoff.

Tried straight up draconic.. had about 200 less power since I had to make up ArP, then I wondered, this isn't netting me much more of anything I wanted to give up my RG set bonus.

So now I'm back to corrupted BI. Making my armor piece.. just need to refine more ice for the boots.

Really want to try to move forward in the game but so far, I'm still seeing myself stuck with RG. Without any CD reduction feats as combat, I feel highly dependent on it.

Yeah I'm not so sure CBI is the way to if you are Combat. The set has zero Deflect so you will have to make up loads across your accessories. I got the Purified set on my Combat HR without really doing any number crunching and that set has no crit or ArP and only a sprinkling of power. Still running with RG as Combat myself.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am hearing that HR's are liking the Templar set. What am I missing here besides the straight up stats? 5% damage and crit reduction doesn't seem.. exciting. Or are the stats just too good regardless the set bonus?

It is definitely tankier than Royal Guard or BI Corrupted. As a Trapper I love it because I can stand more damage while using Hindering Strike to root enemies and the high recovery helps me in getting a seamless encounter rotation I need to root down as much stuff as I can.
    In SoT or ELol you can open with Constrictive to root some mobs, charge in, get surrounded by the rest, root it with Hindering Strike, dodge out of the nice tight pack of mobs you rooted, use Rain of Swords to put a bleed on them, Steel Breeze to regains stamina, Rain of Arrows on the pack to deal more damage, and restart your rooting rotation before anything can move. You can do that with Royal (if your bonus triggers and it usually does, but not always), but when you navigate through the pack of mobs to root them with Hindering you risk your life much more than with the Templar set.
    And while you do this all your AoE teammates will love you because they thay can hit everything with AoEs as monsters are tightly packed and rooted so they don´t run away (and Tyrannical Threat Fury SWs will literally melt everything if you pack it properly) .
    Staying closer to the action enables you to use Aspect of the Pack more effectively for you and your teammates and give them the extra damage reduction of the Templar set.

The only issue I see at the moment is that Arpen and Power are lower than with my Royal, but as you get a ton of Crit you can just switch enchantments and rebalance the whole stuff. I haven´t done that yet as I´ll wait for my Jewellery profession to get to level 20 before balancing everything out but I´m pretty sure I won´t go back.
    If you focus on DPS only maybe Royal is still the way to go, but I think that Trapper offers also a good path to party support in terms of control, buff and defense that it is more suited to the Templar set.

Last time I run SoT the comment of an SW and an Archer HR in the party was that I controlled dangerous mobs better than a wizard (Constrictive, Hindering Shot, Hindering Strike and Disruptive Shot let you do a fairly good amount of control/interrupt even on scattered mobs which is something that is more difficult for a wizard) and with the Templar set you can focus more on battlefield control as you spend less time dodging and are not dependant upon a random Royal Guard proc that may not come when you need it.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the info gabrieldourden.

Sounds like it's working great for your build. I'm not quite ready to give trapper a try. Though it sounds like good fun as well.

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Pushed my corrupted BI set on preview and tested.

Did ACT testing on a single target dummy and a run through the Thayan lair in WoD.

In every test RG pulled ahead, and substantially on a single target, perfect world environment, aka test dummy. This was up against a full T3 empowered BI set with greater corrupt and greater lethal overload enchants.

In a live world test run (Thayan shelter lair), the BI set was a little behind RG but enough. Also considering the fact that BI needs to be fed so often and overload enchants replaced.

I am completely boggled and highly disappointed. The cool down reduction from RG for combat is just too good. I am not sure if I want to pull the trigger and use BI for real on live server. That would mean I need to dump AD to swap some boons.

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Pushed my corrupted BI set on preview and tested.

Did ACT testing on a single target dummy and a run through the Thayan lair in WoD.

In every test RG pulled ahead, and substantially on a single target, perfect world environment, aka test dummy. This was up against a full T3 empowered BI set with greater corrupt and greater lethal overload enchants.

In a live world test run (Thayan shelter lair), the BI set was a little behind RG but enough. Also considering the fact that BI needs to be fed so often and overload enchants replaced.

I am completely boggled and highly disappointed. The cool down reduction from RG for combat is just too good. I am not sure if I want to pull the trigger and use BI for real on live server. That would mean I need to dump AD to swap some boons.

You have to try red dragon glyphs in your overload slots. I don't know the rest of your gear, but for me the CBI with red glyphs was a nice damage boost over RG as SW combat using plague fire. You've taken it this far why not go all the way on test shard.
    edited December 2014
    The 2 hour max life on the dragon glyphs really kills me. I play enough that 2 hours would go way too fast.

I will give it a test though. Do you normally run with 2 of them?

werewolf.jpg
    edited December 2014
    The 2 hour max life on the dragon glyphs really kills me. I play enough that 2 hours would go way too fast.

I will give it a test though. Do you normally run with 2 of them?

I always run with 2. With 2 equipped you will have the buff almost 100% of the time in combat. I admit the 2 hour time limit is a downer, but I normally swap my gear for dailies.

Combat spec gets more out of the red glyphs than any other spec.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    You have to try red dragon glyphs in your overload slots. I don't know the rest of your gear, but for me the CBI with red glyphs was a nice damage boost over RG as SW combat using plague fire. You've taken it this far why not go all the way on test shard.

THIS

overloads shine with reds, they are the main reason i choose overload sets. As an archer they sum up to 8-10% of my dps it would probably be more as combat coz it attacks faster.

Prob is they have gotten more expensive now with less people running elol, so they are getting quite more (x3) expensive than they used too, to have them always on. So another option over lethals would be blacks which will give u the same crit but add another 2-3% dps from the dot and are not so expensive.
    edited December 2014
    Just some feedback.. I stuck with the CBI set. I have to say that the overload slots are very nice to have. Once you get a pool of refined BI, it's not too hard to upkeep in T3.

Had to get used to not having my encounters constantly up but I've learned to play it slightly differently. I also adjusted my boons and a feat to make up for ArP, deflection and lifesteal. For a min/max player, the CBI vs RG can be iffy if you rather use encounters > overload enchants (for combat spec).

werewolf.jpg
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    yeah Bi is not that hard to get ( i habve like 10k saved up and another 10k rough).... just do the weekly Iwd quest nad some ocational kessels runs and ur set.