What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The basics of pvp

2»

Comments

• overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Joking aside, those points are - as a matter of fact - the EXACT thing a new player must acknowledge and overcome, and in the EXACT manner as you have mentioned, meets a lot of psychological resistance within the player.

Usually, when people begin a multiplayer game, they start out with PvE. In PvE, nothing really hurts your feelings or pride because nobody is there watching you fail, or reminding you of how much you are weak. After a while, you become a little more confident, and start to grow more on pride as you learn how to "skillfully" take down a strong mob/NPC.

So after a while, you try your hand at PvP, and I can guarantee everyone's first experience is simply humiliating. The first time I ventured a bit further awat from Castle Britannia and made my way towards Trinsic, I met a band of murdering thieves and watched myself get drawn and quartered, literally. Nothing I knew worked on those people, and it wasn't even a 1vs1. So, naturally, when something like this happens to you, you get angry, and you try your hand a few more times.

It doesn't help. Nothing changes. You get creamed again and again -- and it is at this point you first meet the above pointers.

Your pride is shattered, you realize that you are no match... and of course, the human mind seeks answers. Many people find the answer, and comfort, by believing that the game screwed you over. They fool themselves to be rid of the humiliation. They start believing they're a good player, and since they're good, and they shouldn't be losing so pathetically so often, it can only mean either their opponents are cheating, or the game is unbalanced.

Now, the rest of the bunch, smaller, fewer in numbers, these people are relentless. They first go through the painstaking process of acknowledging that they suck - that PvE performance they so proud of means jackshi*, and basically they have to start over, from the bottom, knowing that almost everyone you see in a PvP match will ROFLSTOMP you, and you're just that pathetic weak newbies. It's only when they go through this psychological ordeal, sort of baptism by fire style, that they are properly motivated to study and practice to become a good player.

I've been in PvP scene for more than 20 years over a variety of games, and even for me, trying out the very first PvP match of a new game I am in, is always as much challenging and nervous as the first day in the land of Sosaria. It never gets easier. But when you know what's coming after that humiliating initiation - it's that point where PvP starts becoming fun.

So people DO need to know they suck. They absolutely MUST know, or they never grow to become better.

(ps) Ironically, most people don't even realize just how much they suck, until they become at least good enough to realize how much they suck, because the PvP scene is just full of freaks and monsters who can pull off just amazing, incredible things with reflexes or judgement, that only when you become a bit proficient that you finally realize just how incredibl ahead those 'naturally talented' sort of super-duper players are.

^^^This is a good post. I just wouldn't pt it quite like "suck". Challenging might be the word for it and in that is a recruiting tool. "The greatest challenge in game".

What you say about the freaks of nature is funny and true. I also sometimes find these same freakishly good pvp players actually suck at domination. A person can be so in the "player vs player combat" zone that they don't realize all the nodes are red but the one they are on.
    edited December 2014
    leeuloop wrote: »
    I am one of those players frustrated with pvp. I am a new L60 with GS of 7k. Tonight our team followed the suggestions above just to get beaten by a l60 GWF with a GS of 24k now for me how can that be fair for 1st time pvp players to get some glory points. You spend +/- 12 minutes there come last and get no glory points, this is very frustrating and in some cases some players leave the game just for that reason, Maybe split l60 domination into GS levels so it is more about how you play your char rather than brute force. Thank you.

Thanks for posting your experience, I think it is pretty common. I agree that gs brackets would be the way to go but unfortunately the number of people quing for pvp is too low and those ques would take a long long time to ever pop.

You can do a lot better than 7k gs if you know how:

You want:
    *all your gear to be level 60 gear.
    *as much of that as possible to be blue or purple.
    *as much of your gear as possible to have enchantment slots.
    *radiant enchants of at least rank 5 to be in all your enchantment slots
    *the starting pvp (purple) gear (at the very least, the armor and one other piece)

All of this costs two currencies- astral diamonds and glory. You can easily get plenty of astral diamonds by invoking as much as you can and by leveling up the leadership profession. You can get plenty of glory by playing pvp. What you do levels 1-60 will totally determine how level 60 goes when you start. So playing a lot of pvp from level 10 on helps a lot.

Beyond that you get into how to spec your character, and exactly what enchantments work best with what build and so on. But radiants are almost always a good choice for pvp because they give you hitpoints in defense slot and power in offense slot.

What I said there should get you to 11 or 12k at least. Not fantastic but that really is a minimum for any kind of expectation of success in domination pugs imo.
  • proxiehunterproxiehunter Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2014
    *radiant enchants of at least rank 5 to be in all your enchantment slots

If any of those slots are utility Slots wouldn't Dark or Silvery make more sense? The gold gain will get you nothing, Dark at least gets you running faster and Silvery's bonus to Glory gain is useless outside PVP. Or is it unstated that you only want Offense and Defense enchantment slots, no Utility slots?
    edited December 2014
    If any of those slots are utility Slots wouldn't Dark or Silvery make more sense? The gold gain will get you nothing, Dark at least gets you running faster and Silvery's bonus to Glory gain is useless outside PVP. Or is it unstated that you only want Offense and Defense enchantment slots, no Utility slots?

I meant that for only offense and defense slots. For pvp ya definitely darks for utility though afaik utility+'s don't count towards gs.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi!

Sadly, as i more often see, not even high, premade PVP guildies know the principles of PVP.

Yes many come down to PUG and then blame us normal GS players (bellow 20k+), that they have lost. You would think by now they all have learnt it, that entering queue with above 20K, but not with full 5 man team gets you together with lower GS players and if they outgrow themselves they can't beat 25K, but no, they come down and then rage and leave or go AFK.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ^^^This is a good post. I just wouldn't pt it quite like "suck". Challenging might be the word for it and in that is a recruiting tool. "The greatest challenge in game".

What you say about the freaks of nature is funny and true. I also sometimes find these same freakishly good pvp players actually suck at domination. A person can be so in the "player vs player combat" zone that they don't realize all the nodes are red but the one they are on.

It's really something to actually find and see someone do stuff that you'd thought only possible in theory. It's an interesting experience as it progressively pushes your awareness towards greater and greater things.

By the time you've seen quite a lot, you begin to compare yourself to what you were when you just began PvP... and then afterwards, you look back at your old posts and stuff and... wow lol, boy is that an embarassment. You think to yourself "Man.. what was I thinking when I wrote that... geez, I was such a newbie.. I'm embarassed".

Balance is all about setting up standards, deciding on where to 'draw the line' in terms of what's good or bad... and then every now and then, a freak of nature steps into the ring and just destroys all the standards and lines you've set. That's probably why it is so hard to balance stuff in PvP.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited December 2014
    It's really something to actually find and see someone do stuff that you'd thought only possible in theory. It's an interesting experience as it progressively pushes your awareness towards greater and greater things.

By the time you've seen quite a lot, you begin to compare yourself to what you were when you just began PvP... and then afterwards, you look back at your old posts and stuff and... wow lol, boy is that an embarassment. You think to yourself "Man.. what was I thinking when I wrote that... geez, I was such a newbie.. I'm embarassed".

Balance is all about setting up standards, deciding on where to 'draw the line' in terms of what's good or bad... and then every now and then, a freak of nature steps into the ring and just destroys all the standards and lines you've set. That's probably why it is so hard to balance stuff in PvP.

Some classes are definitely more difficult to play than others, some encounters much harder to land, and I really think the kind of coordination that draws some people to some classes is as much to blame for some balance issues as anything else. I am being intentionally vague because I don't want to bring some well known debate to this thread, but you know what I mean.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Joking aside, those points are - as a matter of fact - the EXACT thing a new player must acknowledge and overcome, and in the EXACT manner as you have mentioned, meets a lot of psychological resistance within the player.

Usually, when people begin a multiplayer game, they start out with PvE. In PvE, nothing really hurts your feelings or pride because nobody is there watching you fail, or reminding you of how much you are weak. After a while, you become a little more confident, and start to grow more on pride as you learn how to "skillfully" take down a strong mob/NPC.

So after a while, you try your hand at PvP, and I can guarantee everyone's first experience is simply humiliating. The first time I ventured a bit further awat from Castle Britannia and made my way towards Trinsic, I met a band of murdering thieves and watched myself get drawn and quartered, literally. Nothing I knew worked on those people, and it wasn't even a 1vs1. So, naturally, when something like this happens to you, you get angry, and you try your hand a few more times.

It doesn't help. Nothing changes. You get creamed again and again -- and it is at this point you first meet the above pointers.

Your pride is shattered, you realize that you are no match... and of course, the human mind seeks answers. Many people find the answer, and comfort, by believing that the game screwed you over. They fool themselves to be rid of the humiliation. They start believing they're a good player, and since they're good, and they shouldn't be losing so pathetically so often, it can only mean either their opponents are cheating, or the game is unbalanced.

Now, the rest of the bunch, smaller, fewer in numbers, these people are relentless. They first go through the painstaking process of acknowledging that they suck - that PvE performance they so proud of means jackshi*, and basically they have to start over, from the bottom, knowing that almost everyone you see in a PvP match will ROFLSTOMP you, and you're just that pathetic weak newbies. It's only when they go through this psychological ordeal, sort of baptism by fire style, that they are properly motivated to study and practice to become a good player.

I've been in PvP scene for more than 20 years over a variety of games, and even for me, trying out the very first PvP match of a new game I am in, is always as much challenging and nervous as the first day in the land of Sosaria. It never gets easier. But when you know what's coming after that humiliating initiation - it's that point where PvP starts becoming fun.

So people DO need to know they suck. They absolutely MUST know, or they never grow to become better.

(ps) Ironically, most people don't even realize just how much they suck, until they become at least good enough to realize how much they suck, because the PvP scene is just full of freaks and monsters who can pull off just amazing, incredible things with reflexes or judgement, that only when you become a bit proficient that you finally realize just how incredibl ahead those 'naturally talented' sort of super-duper players are.

Guess Im one of the few thats completely opposite of this post. Quakeworld Teamfortress, never touched single player quake. Command and Conquer Westwood studios online, didnt play the single player campaign till years after. Master Orion II first lanned before touching single player of it. Starcraft the same. CoD 4, first CoD i played, didnt touch single player till I was prestige 10 multiplayer. Only single player games I play would be games with pretty much only single player.

Not sure how you feel nervous in an online game.. no one is even watching you. When I was on the basketball court, soccer field, track yah I felt nervousness, but never with something like an online game lol.

But I guess yes each person is different.

edit: now that I think of it, I did feel nervous my first Astral Confrontation in Allods Online. But that was the endgame guild vs guild 24v24 pvp fighting over upgrading resources. This game doesnt have anything near that competitive level.

And you may say rolling, none of those are really large scale multiplayer games.
    Teamfortress you played 12v12 up to 24v24 league games. IGL = Iron Glove League (this was 5v5 actually), STA = Stronger than All league (ranged from 12 to 24 per clan/team)
    CoD4 played many MLG = major league gaming games with a solid group, we played up to MW2. Than they all had families :)

BUT now you look at that, none of those games had that mechanic that we arent allowed to mention (except allods online) all of them were almost completely skill based, you couldnt slide your credit card for ANY advantage. It's harder to see true skill in these games. Because it can be easily supplemented by major differences gear/runes/enchants which all can be paid for.

TL;DR: Skill in these games are difficult to gauge. Especially how this multiplayer is setup. You dont start on even ground like most other multiplayer genres. (true RTS, FPS, MOBA, 4x Grand Strategy etc compared to pretty much any "F2P") You could practice, practice, hone your skills, become the most knowledgable about your class; but still get humiliated, and still believe you arent great, just because of your GS lol.

Your pride is shattered, you realize that you are no match... and of course, the human mind seeks answers. Many people find the answer, and comfort, by believing that the game screwed you over. They fool themselves to be rid of the humiliation. They start believing they're a good player, and since they're good, and they shouldn't be losing so pathetically so often, it can only mean either their opponents are cheating, or the game is unbalanced

So you believe this game is balanced? with the never ending cycle of nerfs and buffs, do you think the devs even believe its balanced?

In other game genres Id believe that statement.

TLDR again: Play MMOs for fun, dont even consider them competitive cause they rarely are. Do what you like that is the beauty of an MMO. If you wanna hop around nakkkid in pvp be my guest.

I will leave all you with some words of wisdom, as this will be my last post on the forums :)

Once a meowmix get an understanding on the game
    And what the levels and the rules of the game is
    Then the world ain't no trick no more
    The world is a game to be played

RIP 2pac
    http://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/2gak41/on_the_18_year_anniversary_of_his_death_heres_the/
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • azealianaazealiana Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After being totally owned in my small experience at PvP before this thread by overdriver, I thought I would give an update of my PvP experience after reading the tips.

First, let me qualify by saying that I SUCK at PvP, and I know it. And thats okay. I don't get mad when I get pwnd, I laugh because I marvel at how good some people are at building their toon, and playing this game (age and wisdom teaches you to laugh at things like this, cuz crying won't help).

Anyway, after reading overdrivers tutorial, I STILL got pwnd, but it was more enjoyable because I at least had an idea of what was going on, and nobody was screaming about stupid people.

My first match of the day, our little pug went up against a premade and it wasn't even funny how badly we got whipped. It was so bad, the other team just camped below the ledge of the campfire and smoked us as we hit the ground.

The next match was more fun because the teams were more evenly matched. Two pugs, each with a couple of good players on each, and the rest of us doing what we could to help out. I actually got an opportunity to engage in combat for a few moments before I was killed. My team eventually won the match - a first for me.

So a quick "thank you" to overdriver for the tips. They didn't make me any better at combat, but they DID make my PvP experience more enjoyable.

EDIT: Still looking for my first kill... I just know one of these days I'll run across someone who sucks more than I do :)
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    There will always be ragers who scream at their teammates if they are losing. However, following this guideline will lessen the amount of rage going your way because players are smart. They know if you are losing because of a gearscore issue or you are fighting a BIS TR and they know if you are just hoarding points and not wanting to contribute in a meaningful way.
    edited December 2014
    and they know if you are just hoarding points ...

I'm new, not following what you mean here.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    azealiana wrote: »
    I'm new, not following what you mean here.

One example is that you don't have mid node and enemy node capped, and all the players go into home cap to cap it together instead of going to other uncapped points and fighting on it.

Or sometimes, you just follow around the best player on your team so that you don't die as much which leads to other points being uncapped.
    edited December 2014
    One example is that you don't have mid node and enemy node capped, and all the players go into home cap to cap it together instead of going to other uncapped points and fighting on it.

Or sometimes, you just follow around the best player on your team so that you don't die as much which leads to other points being uncapped.

I get you now. Part of the problem is no one is communicating in the pugs, and everyone is just doing their own thing. As a new guy, it would be great if the experienced players talked more and helped out with some direction during the matches. I know I would respond to suggestions.

And what is "BiS"? So many acronyms used around here...
    edited December 2014
    After being totally owned in my small experience at PvP before this thread by overdriver, I thought I would give an update of my PvP experience after reading the tips.

First, let me qualify by saying that I SUCK at PvP, and I know it. And thats okay. I don't get mad when I get pwnd, I laugh because I marvel at how good some people are at building their toon, and playing this game (age and wisdom teaches you to laugh at things like this, cuz crying won't help).

Anyway, after reading overdrivers tutorial, I STILL got pwnd, but it was more enjoyable because I at least had an idea of what was going on, and nobody was screaming about stupid people.

My first match of the day, our little pug went up against a premade and it wasn't even funny how badly we got whipped. It was so bad, the other team just camped below the ledge of the campfire and smoked us as we hit the ground.

The next match was more fun because the teams were more evenly matched. Two pugs, each with a couple of good players on each, and the rest of us doing what we could to help out. I actually got an opportunity to engage in combat for a few moments before I was killed. My team eventually won the match - a first for me.

So a quick "thank you" to overdriver for the tips. They didn't make me any better at combat, but they DID make my PvP experience more enjoyable.

EDIT: Still looking for my first kill... I just know one of these days I'll run across someone who sucks more than I do :)

Glad it helped. Now I want to know your class, your spec, your gear, but we can do that over pm or in game. You should be winning some games, getting some kills.
    edited December 2014
    I get you now. Part of the problem is no one is communicating in the pugs, and everyone is just doing their own thing. As a new guy, it would be great if the experienced players talked more and helped out with some direction during the matches. I know I would respond to suggestions.

And what is "BiS"? So many acronyms used around here...

Communication/coordination is why teams win when gear and skill are otherwise equal imo. It would be good to have a full minute prematch to lay out real quick what to do. I sometimes just try to type "fight on node, make the red nodes blue, dont go to nodes with no fight that are already being capped please ty" before a match and half the time am about halfway through when the gate lowers.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Since this is an educational thread...

Suppose you play a melee class and you are standing alone on a red node so as to contest it.

Then along comes a range player from Team Red that stands off the node and starts pummeling you from range.

Let's also suppose that you aren't terribly well geared, so you can't take much of a pummeling before the node changes from red to blue.

What do you do? Do you leave the node and attack the range player, leaving the node uncontested? Do you hope that the node changes color before you die from range attacks?
  • vedran541vedran541 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    What do you do? Do you leave the node and attack the range player, leaving the node uncontested? Do you hope that the node changes color before you die from range attacks?

Its my favorite thing to do as a CW when the point is mine and a GWF is standing on the node :D Sometimes they run back and forth really confused if they have time to cap before it turns blue or not. If just in case i dont have time to kill him before it turns blue i simply jump on point and he should be below 10% or dead.

But thats a very tricky one, usually you should ask for help by your teammates, if they are all occupied, try to force him on point by running in the opposite direction and then sprinting to him while he gets close and stun and some combos. Other then that, you are the underdog as a melee and the point is red. Unless you are a tr ofc
    edited December 2014
    Glad it helped. Now I want to know your class, your spec, your gear, but we can do that over pm or in game. You should be winning some games, getting some kills.

I don't mind telling you that here. My toon is a very fresh 60. HR combat Pathfinder with Glade Stalker gear GS 11.7k. Weapons are Grand Warden (?). I'm working on my boons, and have the first two in Sharandar, and the first in ToD. I went with power and critical strike boons. Looking at the later boons, I think I'll focus on defense. My Power is about 3500, Crit just over 1200, ArPen about 2400. In other words AVERAGE. I basically followed a build guide for combat ranger here on the forums.

All my enchants are lvl 5 - I'm working on building up my AD so I can afford to upgrade (spent what I had on purple gear at the AH). I have some serious grinding to do.

This is my first MMO, and its been a real learning experience. Heck, I was level 30 before I figured out how to dodge. I'm still working on all the acronyms used here, but its starting to make sense.
    edited December 2014
    Communication/coordination is why teams win when gear and skill are otherwise equal imo. It would be good to have a full minute prematch to lay out real quick what to do. I sometimes just try to type "fight on node, make the red nodes blue, dont go to nodes with no fight that are already being capped please ty" before a match and half the time am about halfway through when the gate lowers.

I can see that watching YouTube vids... its like a military operation. I think everyone that PvP's, even casual players, should be on a mic.

On another note, I haven't heard any raging lately, and thats a good thing. (knock on wood)