test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

username vs handle how come both are usable to log in?

vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Allowing the both handle and email as a login method.
I would think this is a bad deal?..
since the handle can be seen by anyone.

And as a programmer myself, so I find this a bit disturbing....

why raise this question and or comment..

Well, I just got my account stripped, (first time I've been hacked and I'm a bit puzzled and have a few mixed feelings on this all)... and mostly I'm a bit puzzled as where did the intruder got the relevant information to gain access.

(since stealing login details is the most likely explanation in most circumstances.)

key loggers is also a famous option, I try to keep all possibilities open.
(not found any so far, and not really expecting to find any).

I'm normally pretty paranoid, and don't mix my username or passwords cross sites/platforms and keep my comp as clean as I possibly manage.

I know there will be a few people raising the common comments about not going to "those sites" and "don't use those programs" etc.. (I didn't as far as I'm aware off) ;) so that's that.

anyhow..
I'm not going to discuss any method in detail that can be used to gain access. (those who know, know already).

But I really would like to see an option to disable login by handle
I wouldn't be amazed to see many others agree on this.

Wrong info, srry all >.< my bad
handle is not usable to login into neverwinter ;)
Post edited by valliv on

Comments

• Options
    borisadrianborisadrian Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I dont know where in hell u saw an option of login by handle, but maybe, and i say that without knowing anything about programing, maybe u put the same thing everywhere.
    My ingame handle is @borisadrian, and so is my chat name borisadrian, but my username and email are very different and only with those 2 i am able to log in....

Not with the handle or any other thing. And u may try and get my username or email...but with the passwword: good luck :)))
    Even key loggers can be restricted...good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    o.0 lol!
    my bad I was sure I managed to use my handle to log in just a few minutes ago?
    now I can't ;)

I never used the handle to login before .. though a guild member states she's able to log in via her handle?..
    If I'm wrong here, im pretty happy about it though ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jup... I seem to have been completely wrong here. and that is a good thing. ;)
    Narrows things down a little I guess...

Though not by much really.. I'm still puzzled where the details come from. and since handle wasn't an option that means that the attackers has my mail.. and that worries me a bit more than a game password hack..
    Though I don't see it being hacked, I really can't say I was seeing my game acc. being hacked either.. >.<

almost hoping to find a key-logger lol, just to get a explanation .. =P *back to scanning the computer*
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My theory: login is my account name and password: for the game itself, the web site and the forums.

Web site and forums are easily accessible from anywhere.
    Brute force bot to crack the web site access?
    If I can figure out your web site credentials I have your game login credentials.

Just theory, of course.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did you recently trade with anyone in-game? I have only been hacked once and it was a few days after such a trade. What made this trade odd was that it took the other person about 2 minutes to finally begin the trade - maybe they were activating some sort of in-game spyware someone developed for NW. This is the only connection I could make as I have good firewall and protection on my PC and never visit questionable websites.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    The only way is if your username and handle are the same. If they are, contact Support immediately and let them know. They'll let you change one of them when it is a case of privacy or security breach.
This discussion has been closed.