Options

Effective PvE SW/Combat Strategies

2»

Comments

• Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    ximae wrote: »
    Im using 2 pc grand warden and 2 pc dread legion.

There isn't really much more to say. I've told you where your stat allocations are wrong. You've agreed that they are wrong. You aren't combat spec. You don't play combat spec. It doesn't sound like you have tried combat spec since Module 4. You screwed up your build, and can't fix it without a reroll or cash. You are making due with those inefficiencies.

To sum it up, why combat is better when they are grouped up is because Combat gets a flat 5% bonus to all damage per creature nearby with no cap or limit on how many are taken into account. You also are hitting them with several abilities without any target cap on them. It's also easy to take advantage of all this, whereas Archery is situational and loses it's bonus in virtually every situation you would ever want them for.

Does this make sense to you now?

(EDIT: Oh, and I heard you like lifesteal. How does your 10% Lifesteal stack up to 20-30% lifesteal I wonder? When it comes to survival, there is absolutely no comparison. Combat wins hands down. 40-50% deflection and wild medicine not even included.)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only reason I'm holding off on playing Combat in Mod 4 is because I was told to go Archery for the campaign as Combat would gimp my dps. I'm not sure how I would fare against the dragons (I see a lot of dead players near the dragons when I do it) but I suspect not as well as archer. I did play SW Combat in Mod 3 and my dps was really low in pve, although I did love the playstyle. Will likely switch back to Combat once I get the artifact weapon.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    There isn't really much more to say. I've told you where your stat allocations are wrong. You've agreed that they are wrong. You aren't combat spec. You don't play combat spec. It doesn't sound like you have tried combat spec since Module 4. You screwed up your build, and can't fix it without a reroll or cash. You are making due with those inefficiencies.

To sum it up, why combat is better when they are grouped up is because Combat gets a flat 5% bonus to all damage per creature nearby with no cap or limit on how many are taken into account. You also are hitting them with several abilities without any target cap on them. It's also easy to take advantage of all this, whereas Archery is situational and loses it's bonus in virtually every situation you would ever want them for.

Does this make sense to you now?

(EDIT: Oh, and I heard you like lifesteal. How does your 10% Lifesteal stack up to 20-30% lifesteal I wonder? When it comes to survival, there is absolutely no comparison. Combat wins hands down. 40-50% deflection and wild medicine not even included.)

wut? Did i mention I do have all sets and i can just slot them? build is fine i can moove stats around if i actually whished too. only thing that bugs me about my build are my initial stat rolls where i would now take lower str and higher dex. my higher str is why i need lower arp, and im fine with my high crit only one who doesnt like it is you, personally id rather have that extra 5% crit chance which with 130% crit severity actually means a a hefty dps increase.

I do agree with combats higher survivability, but i dont want more of it for pve i want dps.....

so stop with ur arrogance. Ur way is not the only way.

actually im curious to see ur build add me dartgon@ximae and show me how much better it is than archery.... till then its all words inflated by your ego to me, as i still think it will come out behind in dps even with my "inefficencies"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I have a few questions regarding the choice of feats for Combat. The only one in the initial tree is Agile Combatant, I selected it in Mod 3 but don't know how much stance switching I will do in Mod 4. Will probably max out on Swift Footwork.

Then in the Combat tree Warden's Courage is out so it makes one more skill has gets passed on. Only other iffy one I can see is maybe Serpent's Weave but then I shift a lot as I mainly pvp with the one in question.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    I have a few questions regarding the choice of feats for Combat. The only one in the initial tree is Agile Combatant, I selected it in Mod 3 but don't know how much stance switching I will do in Mod 4. Will probably max out on Swift Footwork.

Then in the Combat tree Warden's Courage is out so it makes one more skill has gets passed on. Only other iffy one I can see is maybe Serpent's Weave but then I shift a lot as I mainly pvp with the one in question.

What I've done is exclusively taken feats from combat. Nothing else seemed to really synergize with the speed attack layout, so I stuck to feats within the paragon.

Weapon Mastery
    Toughness
    Swift Footwork
    Endless Assault
    Lucky Skirmisher
    Disciple of Dexterity

Bloodletting
    Fluid Hunter
    Piercing Blade
    Wilds Medicine
    Battle Crazed
    Scything Blades
    Blade Hurricane

There may or may not be better choices to be made but this was the setup I was using for testing purposes. So far I haven't seen anything tempting enough to try something different.

Also, I can't tell you one single useful thing about PvP. This is a PvE centric thread, and in no way do I claim one way or the other what is or is not useful for playing against people. In general I would imagine that combat would not particularly stack up well in PvP, but I also don't ever engage in PvP so I'm not a good person to ask.
    ximae wrote: »
    so stop with ur arrogance. Ur way is not the only way.

This topic is not intended to help you with your archery build or to tell you what the proper itemization is for your archery build. I thought that was fairly clear from the title. If you want to compare your archery build to what I'm doing I'd suggest logging into the preview server and trying it for yourself if you're honestly curious how it measures up. If you aren't willing to do that, then that is your business but it makes zero difference to me personally.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also, I can't tell you one single useful thing about PvP. This is a PvE centric thread, and in no way do I claim one way or the other what is or is not useful for playing against people. In general I would imagine that combat would not particularly stack up well in PvP, but I also don't ever engage in PvP so I'm not a good person to ask.
    Actually, Combat is the go-to spec for PvP - although normally PF rather than SW. Archers can do OK against PuGs but are too easily focussed down against teams that know how to play.

But as you say, that's not what this thread is about. And I've found the thread itself very useful for the Combat HR I'm levelling at the moment.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Weapon Mastery
    Toughness
    Swift Footwork
    Endless Assault
    Lucky Skirmisher
    Disciple of Dexterity

Bloodletting
    Fluid Hunter
    Piercing Blade
    Wilds Medicine
    Battle Crazed
    Scything Blades
    Blade Hurricane

Thanks for posting this, so Lifesteal is the way to go. With 2 Lifesteal artifacts I wonder if I shouldn't then drop Rampaging Madness for Endless Consumption.

Is cool, I knew from the get-go this thread was about Combat pve. I'm not pvping much in Mod 4 as Archer (I don't find it as engaging as Combat) but even if I do respec I reckon I'll find myself doing the new skrimish and dungeon regardless as Combat even if the damage isn't as good.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this, so Lifesteal is the way to go. With 2 Lifesteal artifacts I wonder if I shouldn't then drop Rampaging Madness for Endless Consumption.

Is cool, I knew from the get-go this thread was about Combat pve. I'm not pvping much in Mod 4 as Archer (I don't find it as engaging as Combat) but even if I do respec I reckon I'll find myself doing the new skrimish and dungeon regardless as Combat even if the damage isn't as good.

Yup, in all honesty it depends entirely on the rest of the team how well it plays out in dungeons.

Combat can initiate combat, whereas I found that archery could not. This is basically the central idea behind why I switched, regardless of major damage differences. I find that waiting to initiate until after a CW/GWF means that everything is basically dead by the time I finally got my damage encounters rolling. There's also some incentive to keep going to keep Wilds Medicine stacks up (15 second timer on it).

This is most definately a proactive alpha strike character build. Your first encounter is likely to be the highest damaging one with Scything Blades, and a good follow up immob might help with follow up CtG and some more 'spike' damage.

Lifesteal is definately a big deal for Combat. My feats are giving far more than double my actual GS rating, which really makes me wish I had more stats in it. ^_^
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    This topic is not intended to help you with your archery build or to tell you what the proper itemization is for your archery build. I thought that was fairly clear from the title. If you want to compare your archery build to what I'm doing I'd suggest logging into the preview server and trying it for yourself if you're honestly curious how it measures up. If you aren't willing to do that, then that is your business but it makes zero difference to me personally.

Not that I would listen to ur itemization counseling when ur telling me to drop crit to get more arp when im already over 24% dr ignored. I really was curious to see where u would have put those 1.7k stats (counting im already at over 24% dri)... coz for me that extra 5% crit chance i get with P vorpal is worth more than dumping on .... anything else really.

So I read u chicken out then?
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?748741-Royal-Guard-4set-bonus

Guess someone's gonna start QQing hard enough to get this set nerfed into oblivion. A pity, though, this set actually makes the class more fun in both PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ralexinor wrote: »
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?748741-Royal-Guard-4set-bonus

Guess someone's gonna start QQing hard enough to get this set nerfed into oblivion. A pity, though, this set actually makes the class more fun in both PvE and PvP.

I seriously doubt the developers would have left it alone for all this time if they cared. For that matter, if people want to complain about things like Royal Guard, what about High Vizier? Or AoW? Silly. I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was talking with someone in game about it at some length and there is another way to build a combat PvE Stormwarden that I think could be valid. Basically you would go with DEX/CHA at character creation and run Aspect of the Pack instead of Aspect of the Lone Wolf.

You would need more of your GS devoted to deflection to get some use from Wilds Medicine but it stacks more base damage increases while sacrificing some critical rating for that increase. The point this person made was that critical rating isn't as important for a build that doesn't do as big of critical hits. I haven't actually tested this but I felt I would share it regardless.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was talking with someone in game about it at some length and there is another way to build a combat PvE Stormwarden that I think could be valid. Basically you would go with DEX/CHA at character creation and run Aspect of the Pack instead of Aspect of the Lone Wolf.

You would need more of your GS devoted to deflection to get some use from Wilds Medicine but it stacks more base damage increases while sacrificing some critical rating for that increase. The point this person made was that critical rating isn't as important for a build that doesn't do as big of critical hits. I haven't actually tested this but I felt I would share it regardless.

Actually I was running with Aspect of the Pack in dungeons during Mod 3 with old Aspect of the Lone Wolf useless for dungeons back then. Would be difficult to pass up the new version now though.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    syrisdavirus242syrisdavirus242 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited September 2014
    Anyone have any info on what companion I should shoot for. I have the dragon ioun stone but I think I could improve on the others.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Anyone have any info on what companion I should shoot for. I have the dragon ioun stone but I think I could improve on the others.

The only one that matters, in my opinion, is making sure you have an Ioun. Past that, it's whatever you have the pocket money for. You can have them all with enough cash, so it is what it is.
  • Options
    mallaphaarmallaphaar Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hey Spacejew What are you doing feat wise? I want to compare mine to someone that seems a bit more knowledgeable.
  • Options
    ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for bringing this thread back again, I was searching for it a while ago and couldn't find it to read about stats and abilities. I'm making myself a combat PvE SW and wanted to ask which ability scores should I aim besides Dex. Wasn't sure if wisdom was a good option since many things in this build aren't able to crit. (Blade Storm, Flurry, PB). My options were:

- DEX and CON, yes, I know, CON is not a secondary stat of HRs and that will make this build more "PvP" alike but my point is, having higher HP would allow me to rely a little less on deflection and Wild's Medicine would heal for more even if it doesn't proc as much. So, with that change, I can swap Aspect of the Lone Wolf for Twin-Blade Storm and that would make CtG hit harder making all of it's procs hit harder and lifesteal for more.

- DEX and CHA as spacejew stated a couple of posts ago for the CA bonus + Aspect of the Pack.

Of course I could as well slot Twin-Blade Storm even without all the CON thing but that would make me more squishy without a balance for losing AotLW's deflection.
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury