test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scoundrel TRs and Bosses

mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Thieves' Den
I know I've said it before elsewhere, and I'm sure that kweassa will come in here and accuse me of something or other, but I figured I'd suss out everyone else's opinion on the matter.

Should Scoundrels have some sort of extra damage against CC-immune targets? As it stands, the reason to take a Scoundrel (control through dazes) is done better by a CW (control through freezes/stuns), and the CW deals better damage vs bosses, too. The difficulty in getting Great Success on dragons right now has just been really putting this at the forefront for me.

As fun as it is, I'm actually... considering dropping Scoundrel, just because of the lack of damage versus bosses.
Post edited by mrmauveforum on

Comments

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know I've said it before elsewhere, and I'm sure that kweassa will come in here and accuse me of something or other, but I figured I'd suss out everyone else's opinion on the matter.

Should Scoundrels have some sort of extra damage against CC-immune targets? As it stands, the reason to take a Scoundrel (control through dazes) is done better by a CW (control through freezes/stuns), and the CW deals better damage vs bosses, too. The difficulty in getting Great Success on dragons right now has just been really putting this at the forefront for me.

As fun as it is, I'm actually... considering dropping Scoundrel, just because of the lack of damage versus bosses.

scoundrel is obviously a path pvp oriented for those who dont like stealth as mechanic implemented in this game...
    it really has little to no place in pve and i m ok with that.
  • kinneas91kinneas91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29
    edited November 2014
    Sorry but in this way, the tr will have a perma bonus on all boss. I can hear the gwf and cw cry from italy for this

Seriously, the scoundreal is a path for a support oriented tr.
    Your job with this path is to support the action of the party, no to deal extreme damage
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Scoundrel don't need any more buffs.

Some paths are better than others in some areas, but weaker in other areas. Deal with it.

(ps) If the Scoundrel does need buffs, then its about the non-CC related feats, which are lackluster at best, useless at worst.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, lets massacre both large mobs and CC immune monsters shall we. Break the point of having any other class in the game.

Everything else not CC immune are such a harmless joke right now there should be a little tradeoff.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Geez man. these other TR's around here want thier cake and eat it too.

Always asking for more. TR's are better than they ever have been. There is no reason to have scoundrel buffed more just because of CC immune targets. Accept you cant freakin' kill everything with ease.

CW's have to deal with CC immune targets too, and thier primary role is control. At least Scoundrel has better defenses to deal with up front battles.

This kind of stuff where players just want everything is annoying. If you're lacking damage, you're doing something wrong, or you just worrying way too much in trying to deal the best damage ever. And you're playing for the wrong reasons either way.
    edited November 2014
    I personally think the scoundrel is too powerful. Couldn't imagine if I had a vorpal, or a perfect one for that matter.....

Using ranged at-wills and murdering left and right with no challenge of any sort.
  • barzahbarzah Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    -Cons: no bonus damage against cc immune character
    -Pros: Have bonus damage + longer daze duration against non cc immune character

With the new smoke bomb & Dazling strike, i don't think you & your team will have any problem dealing with boss adds

Does bilethorn still viable with df build?
  • xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is a concern for me as well against bosses being a Whisperknife Scoundrel TR as I have had to change the way I play a bit with my pre mod 5 Scoundrel build. However I do seem to be noticeably stronger on boss fights too at the moment even tho I am still working the best way to play it.

The thing you have to remember that Scoundrel TRs arent the only class/build that don't do as well versus CC immune targets, so CWs for example can't freeze/control for extra damage either. Making everything susceptible to control effects is obviously a bad idea as CWs already have a far too easy time of it versus most enemies and that would make it worse. I just consider being a Scoundrel a more versatile and supportive build to have in the group and not just focused on pure damage, which can take the place of a CW for helping with control much like a Trapper HR could. When it comes to damage on single target boss/tough enemy fights I would still hope to see TR above CW tho...
  • imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Scoundrel = Daze only with high deflect + low dmg
    Saboteur = Permastealth + high dmg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While I'm not absolutely certain Scoundrel needs it, other control-based classes do get bonus damage against control-immune targets with some powers and feats. For instance the Trapper HR with Ancient Roots is a very similar situation to the Scoundrel. Something similar at a lowish level wouldn't unbalance Scoundrel IMO.

That said, I can still get Great Success on Dragons unless there's a major zerg happening. I just go melee and use DF a lot. Hitting stealth just as the third phase fires is great for building critical bleed stacks.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited November 2014
    WK Scoundrel damage is not low. A close-range Blitz from stealth will one-shot most groups of mobs. Stronger groups might need Smoke Bomb as well. Just because they lack the uber ST damage of Sab and Exe does not mean 'low' damage.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm running both an MI and WK scoundrel and they're both awesome and don't need any buffs. On bosses, you need to dodge more when you're alone and let someone else grab aggro when you're not alone.

Lol at the idea of either of them doing low damage though. Just lol.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • barzahbarzah Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2014

What part of "only" did you talk about when obv scoundrel are able to daze the enemy 24/7 (not to mention the bonus damage when hitting enemies under control effect) plus Sabo main damage come from stealth at will, which mean they are more focused on focusing one target rather than hitting whole colony.
    edited November 2014

HELLO!? Ever use dazing/smoke/blitz? AoE mass destruction. Toss in a crit DHS and DF and there, there's your massive single target. You really didn't explore the scoundrel's potential very far.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    scoundrel is obviously a path pvp oriented for those who dont like stealth as mechanic implemented in this game...
    it really has little to no place in pve and i m ok with that.

Exactly - that is what I was going to say (or something close to that).
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've tested it many times Scoundrel do less dmg than Sabo if you pvp and exe do much more dmg than scoundrel in pve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I will have to keep that in mind while my Scoudrels are ripping through the new content.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Loving my Scoundrel. Durable and effective with a purpose.

If I had a concern it would be that a comp geared CW will do better AE damage, better single target damage, with better control and arguable comparable survivability. I don't think that is a problem necessarily with the scoundrel, though, but more that the CW is still far too powerful compared to other classes and hopefully some overall real and finally addressed and corrected balance changes will come to be instead of this hit and miss (more like miss and miss) style that has been going on. Anyways scoundrel is for me especially after playing anything else without that 25% movement bonus...
    edited November 2014
    I've tested it many times Scoundrel do less dmg than Sabo if you pvp and exe do much more dmg than scoundrel in pve
    Your testing does not quite align with my experience. While Sabo is indeed OP in PvP, Exe in PvE is not that far ahead of Scoundrel. It just takes a bit more thought to maximise Scoundrel DPS. Plus Scoundrel brings versatility that Exe simply can't match.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It could be play style too but my scoundrel (my favorite toon) really lacks the single target damage that my executioner does. Same gear and all and as I said previously my scoundrel cannot match the single target damage of cw/sw/hr/gwf (not sure on dc as they are bugged) but my exe clearly dominates versus the same players in the same runs. Now this is single target damage which is generally a boss or control immune target. I still prefer my scoundrel, though, and mainly because it suits me and I don't feel like I am going to die every time someone starts mob spinning groups (in fact with my scoundrel I play like a CW/SW/GWF and charge ahead of everyone and jump in the middle of the pack and act afool).