test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF of Mediocrity

13»

Comments

• zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    10% Deflect = 5% Damage resistance, how is this going to help the Sentinel/Destroyer trees?

SW Damnation tree doesn't buff/debuff and Battle Fury already buff allies damage/action point gain to allies.

The GWF requires much more than a simple revision.

AND in any case, even with a parallel buff to gf, I would like to see one rework in bf concept , giving critical chance/severity (copy past is boring). additional bonus based on the amount of opponents, etc. after all, "battle fury."

I like the big red numbers. i roll a gwf for that.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    7.5-9.5 pvp set
    17-20% deflect stat
    16-20% dex
    10% sprint/weapon master
    8% bravery
    5% feat
    3% class

Most deflect i see displayed on GWFs is 40-45% even with profund set, halfling, sentinel and stuff.
    Dex i believe counts only points over 10, so it's 10-14% right now, 5-7% before module 5.
    Your defelection from deflect stat and dex seems too high. Are you sure of these numbers?
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    80%? In your dreams. With my maxed DEX, and 1300+ Deflection stat, my deflect is around 15%.
    Plus, deflect should never be a significant defensive feature of a gwf. Defense, life steal, armour class yes. Deflect? Sprint? That's NWO devs spitting at Gary Gigax' grave.

you took it out of context. It is a fact that a gwf can get above 70% deflect, since i wasnt sure of the exact figure i;ve said is somewhere between 70-80%. Check the numbers and you;ll see that with the new gear one can make it to 75% using a high deflect build(not saying that is the best way to go, but only that is possible).
    pando83 wrote: »
    Most deflect i see displayed on GWFs is 40-45% even with profund set, halfling, sentinel and stuff.
    Dex i believe counts only points over 10, so it's 10-14% right now, 5-7% before module 5.
    Your defelection from deflect stat and dex seems too high. Are you sure of these numbers?

With buffs/belt and all a GWF can reach 30 dex (that atm is 20% deflect, only talking about what is now)and if he uses deflect glyphs you can go up to 2.6-3k deflect rating that is 18-19.7 deflect chance.
  • ablettoabletto Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2014
    I stopped reading here.
    We cannot off-tank. An off-tank does nor die when in a trash mob AOE. An off-tank has taunts, or burst, we have no taunts and a steady low damage.
    Unstoppable, you have two versions: the Senti one (works but you can never fill the bar) or non-Senti (you can fill the bar, but it is useless).
    And sprinting away from the danger like a frightened sheep is not an acceptable feature for a melee fighter, DnD-wise.

Well I don't die from anything but failing to kite properly, and I often pull aggro with marks. You should have enough HP/Def to withstand an AoE cluster easily to get Unstoppable to 80-100% at which point the DR from it will let you clear the trash. If you can't survive that I really do understand why you'd say GWF is no tank, period.

Myself and others can, though, and the fact that I can keep a large mob or a group of trash mobs occupied (attacking me) while my team defends (attacking them) is the very definition of a tank. I don't do this GF style, with huge DR%, HP, and Deflect. I do it by kiting.

And GWF has burst although I'd really love to see re-works for encounters because I'm sick of Frontline Surge. It's useless against bosses and never crits very high. I recently did 100k to Lostmauth with Indomitable Strength, and another 60k with IBS. I'd say thats bursty but when you compare what other classes are now capable of it simply isn't enough anymore.
    emilemo wrote: »
    So no, no more damage nerfs for GWFs. Only buffs from this point on

Word my friend. I'm still placing 4th in eLoL. Right above our support DC. My current fix is to play my CW instead. Lovely.
    The GWF requires much more than a simple revision.

Very true, but I liked the ideas about adding daze to Punishing Charge and Stamina Drain, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about making the GWF more useful :D

I think not only does GWF damage need a serious looking at and comparison to other classes, but these waste-of-space encounters that do 700-1k damage and nothing else need added utilities or mechanics.

Example:
    Punishing Charge: "Rush forward, passing through enemies and striking them along the way. Every time you successfully charge an opponent you gain 1 stack of 'Defender's Purpose,' this can stack up to 3x. Defender's Purpose grants +500 Max HP for 5 seconds."

If that's a problem with overall balance, let tree feats boost those utilities to something worth taking. That way no one GWF will have a perfect setup for any given situation. I guess CWs should be the only ones to have that.

At this rate I think GWF only desperately needs:
    A.) Base Damage Revisions for all Encounters
    B.) Destroyer needs less stacks of Purpose for max benefit, or increase the timer
    C.) Feats need buffs
    D.) Fix some rubber-banding with Threatening Rush and Sprint, specifically against fleeing opponents.

And not even that much, enough that a pure offense Destroyer is on-par with TR in DPS potential. Both are single-target. Both are offense spec. But hey that's just my thought.

Maybe we should compile a list of Top 3 Absolute Necessary Changes. I will read through suggestions and choose the most popular ideas. Please be somewhat specific and not "Make me do more damage."
    If enough people put down their top 3 I will update original post and hopefully make it easier for any devs/advocates reading to get a quick 101 on the sum of our collective experience and input.
  • abcdd1234abcdd1234 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree that GWF at-wills&encounters is weak and boring. And they just copy and paste GF and GWF set each other :/
    I hate the mark system in any MMO because it slows u to do damage and i try to avoid the class who has mark system but i thought HR would have a mark and I didnt know that GWF would rely on that...

I would love to play mages(CW SW) because they will never be out of the race of DPS but its pain to level it up to 60 and farm for boons. The reason i played GWF is I like warriors with heavy cool armors. GF looks better but this game is all about DPS :( Range class feels like ur playing a shooting game especially NW doesnt have a MP.

Balancing out PVP is really hurting PVE game play so just separate encounters and feats effects in PVP so both PVP and PVE can win instead of big nerfs.

Btw do we have to wait for Mod 6 for remake or buffs to GWF or are they gonna change some when they add Tiamat?
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    abletto wrote: »
    Maybe we should compile a list of Top 3 Absolute Necessary Changes. I will read through suggestions and choose the most popular ideas. Please be somewhat specific and not "Make me do more damage."
    If enough people put down their top 3 I will update original post and hopefully make it easier for any devs/advocates reading to get a quick 101 on the sum of our collective experience and input.

ok i'll bite, maybe is time to have a discussion

-make a clear visual effect for stunned targets, atm sometimes i have no clue if i landed or not a stun.
    -give the stun effect a minimum duration so it wont get under that no matter what (i have deflect in mind) or maybe separate the stun from the hit and apply deflect only for the dmg component.
    -for the love of god fix intimidation dmg and give more cc to it like an extra stun/sleep time once Cagi is over, similar to Steal Time.
    -give a mark ability to Instigator path: punishing charge comes in mind.
    -pls fix animations for wicked strike and threatening rush as they are almost impossible to use: any environment (WS) and pvp (TR). Maybe change TR with a 2 phase skill, one that puts a mark and the other a jump to the target location.
    -marked targets should not be invisible for the ones that marked them and you;ll solve the perma invisibility as well

copied from the closed gwf preview feedback.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My eyes cry for 2 of my toons, one is my GWF the other is the HR in PVE. PVP is ruined to the ground, so i don't waist any words on that.

My GWF is falling down the charts in damage and kills, although my setup is kinda same as it was. Had to tweak a bit, changed to Vigilant warlord and Avatar of War mixed set for better survivability and it allows me to stand more in the red and don't play the frightened kid, who has to run away, everytime something big comes. This way my Defense got a big stronger and my recovery also. Sure i would still run AoW but currently i would loose too much recovery, which hard to compensate.

In DnD terms the berserker or the GWF call it , whichever editionit is, is a fearsome warrior, with his 1,5 multiplier to his damage. Now here it is the odd situation, that my half heal/ half DPS DC is on par with him, combat HRs are better, if well played and only the stepchild of this game, the poor GF is bellow me.

No how much i love the changes to my DC, it shouldn't be so. Combat TR would be fine by me, but not with current changes, they excel in all departments, with no weakness, this goes for PVE and they are way to op in PVP.

Combat HR should never do more damage, than a melee GWF. (Archery and Trapper is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now, either to squishy for high level epic dungeons or only mediocre, if speced for DPS only.)

Don't no much about SW, cause i don't have one.

One thing, that makes me sad with every new Mod, that 1 or 2 classes get better, but there are always other ones, who loose. Sure it must be hard to maintain balance, but yes i would go back to classic DnD and apply the rules from there even more, that should provide the best balance available. Wish the Devs would keep a bit more focused on this, they don't have to invent anything new, we have a good game with table top version, it should only be implemented more carefully.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

edited November 2014
    abletto wrote: »
    At this rate I think GWF only desperately needs:
    A.) Base Damage Revisions for all Encounters
    B.) Destroyer needs less stacks of Purpose for max benefit, or increase the timer
    C.) Feats need buffs
    D.) Fix some rubber-banding with Threatening Rush and Sprint, specifically against fleeing opponents.

And not even that much, enough that a pure offense Destroyer is on-par with TR in DPS potential. Both are single-target. Both are offense spec. But hey that's just my thought.

in my opinion, no.

1 - gwf (in theory) is not single target (and is not unrestricted aoe).

Gwf is an expert in fighting against 1-5 opponents, whether as dps or "off tank" (outdated characteristic and FAKE stereotype that others people STILL USE to justify the inferiority of class, even after the nerfs/mechanical problems). gwf is out of your "action zone" by changes in other classes / lack of tools

2 - gwf need an IMMEDIATE focus on class feature > radius> atwills damage = encounter effects. feets (tree feets) is the last.

focus in class features is: the destroyer need be functional for the 3 trees. steadfast have function. bravery have internal synergy and wm be in line with "100% chance critical" of cws / trs. "

this class need a solid base. and, just to remember, is a fighter. a complete fighter. and not a fat guy with heavy hand and 2 or 3 wrestler moves. ALL needs work
  • kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Background: I play a fairly tanky IV/Dest (variant on Misa's old mod3 pvp/pve hybrid build), and will slot gear changes based on the run (ELoL, ESoT, or tanking a Dragon). I mostly only dodge or kite 1-shot kills (overhead bash by the ELoL/ESoT golems for example) or stuns (if not unstoppable). My other primary is a CW/Renegade.

a) fix wicked strike's rubberbanding (wms probably has the same problem).
    b) reduce the number of stacks required for full unstoppable, allow faster determination gain.
    c) slightly up the base damage of the at-wills.

Right now, I can hold agro (assuming I've used a marking skill) only by using slam to increase my
    threat (and I'm unstoppable + spamming AOE skills).
  • tribulationxtribulationx Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    I stopped reading here.
    We cannot off-tank. An off-tank does nor die when in a trash mob AOE. An off-tank has taunts, or burst, we have no taunts and a steady low damage.
    Unstoppable, you have two versions: the Senti one (works but you can never fill the bar) or non-Senti (you can fill the bar, but it is useless).
    And sprinting away from the danger like a frightened sheep is not an acceptable feature for a melee fighter, DnD-wise.

The only trash that has EVER been able to kill me was able to do so only when deliberately taking a full cycle from the rage drake circle-spin AoEs, and an occassional IBS dead-on mega crit from Golems in eSoT or eLoL. Both of those things are basic to dodge, sometimes I just choose not to in order to build determination or because I'm bored and want to see how hard they hit me.

Can't comment on usefulness of destro unstoppable, but my sentinel intimidation bar fills to 75-100% whenever I need it to in only one or two attacks.

We just need a reliable taunt that we don't have to waste paragon or heroic points on.
    edited November 2014
    Ok, my last post: I DONT ROLL my gwf to "kite" or taunt" by a voodoo guy or a arcane ballerina (and both DONT NEED MY PROTECTION, even if works. dont work). gwf dont need a "fake threat" feet, he need BE a REAL THREAT. THE THREAT ITSELF! if the enemies dont focusme, i will kill a entire horde.

""The Destroyer is a torrent of unfettered rage and anger that deals a crushing amount of damage no foe is likely to survive."

that is your description devs, do your job.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Changes to the GWF that would fit right into the current state of the game without breaking "balance":

- Takedown becomes a Prone again - keep in mind that dodgers have 4 even 5 dodges now, DCs are immortal, HR/TR can deflect everything, CWs left the squishiness behind and SWs seem like olympic level runners.. oh yeah and GFs cant block everything even with bugged shield while having higher single target damage than a GWF

- Threatening Rush gets unlimited charges back

With either of the above I think the GWF will become as good as others in PVP. As for PVE.. if a GWF player is having issues in PVE he is either way undergeared or he has no idea how to play his class.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As for PVE.. if a GWF player is having issues in PVE he is either way undergeared or he has no idea how to play his class.

Wrong. Take a Destr, which is the closest branch of what a gwf should be (B/c Senti, well, is a defensive offensive fighter). Equip the Destr with the BiS orange anything and send him to the Shores and play like a Melee fighter. He'll die countless times even before reaching the final fight with Garakas.
    Just to stay alive, we actually have to know how to *not* play the class. We have to do things which are at the opposite of what a Melee fighter does in DnD. Just describe your gameplay to someone who plays another MMO and ask him to guess what your class is, Melee fighter will come last.

"Hmmm let me see... you're running around most of the time, you die when there is damage, you deliver less damage than even a DC... You're a decorative pet, aren't you?"
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
    edited November 2014
    Here is a novel concept. Perhaps we should all forget what we think our class should be and just try to do the best we can with what the devs give us.. cause believe it or not we wont be getting anything else. Even if they do introduce some sort of buff it will be the same situation cause they simply cant make us truly unstoppable due to pvp
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    - Threatening Rush gets unlimited charges back

With either of the above I think the GWF will become as good as others in PVP. As for PVE.. if a GWF player is having issues in PVE he is either way undergeared or he has no idea how to play his class.

no, this would be only pvp buff since in pve we dont really need the stacks(maybe 1 more stack or 1 sec off of cd, but nothing much) , better buff other stuff and leave it as is. gwf was always stronger in pvp than pve, we need to buff pve aspects of gwf not pvp

if you think GWF is ok in pve then you are the one who doesnt have a clue about his class, yes everybody should be able to do pve stuff in this game because it is so **** easy, but gwf is way below other classes in usefulness in pve
    Paladin Master Race
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Buff Instigator determination gain to make it a true PvP hybrid tank/DPS
    Buff sentinel tank ability, nerf intimidation damage removing the chance to crit from it and give tools to hold aggro in PvE
    Buff Destroyer stacks for PvE, and life steal

That is pretty much what i would do to give each path a role and make them strong at it. Destro needs damage on par with SW/HR/CW/TR and life steal to survive while dealing AoE melee DPS. Sentinel needs to properly tank in both PvP and PvE and deal less damage. Instigator needs more survivability and it should be either in the form of determination gain buff or increased stamina for more deflect/ DR compared to destroyer. Right now Instigator is not more survivable than a destro, and that's not right considering one is a pure DPS path and the other is supposed to be a PvP hybrid tank/ DPS.
    edited November 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    no, this would be only pvp buff since in pve we dont really need the stacks(maybe 1 more stack or 1 sec off of cd, but nothing much) , better buff other stuff and leave it as is. gwf was always stronger in pvp than pve, we need to buff pve aspects of gwf not pvp

if you think GWF is ok in pve then you are the one who doesnt have a clue about his class, yes everybody should be able to do pve stuff in this game because it is so **** easy, but gwf is way below other classes in usefulness in pve

1) I clearly state my suggestions are for PVP

2) My gwf is not "way below other classes in usefulness in pve", far from it and in the end of the day thats the only thing that matters
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    Buff sentinel tank ability, nerf intimidation damage removing the chance to crit from it and give tools to hold aggro in PvE
    Sure, sentinel could use a limit set for intimidation. But removing chance to crit? We don't need this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. That would render crit stat, crit severity and weapon master feature useless for sentinel.

I know you dislike intimidation, but seriously, get over it.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1) I clearly state my suggestions are for PVP
    so you want to fk up pve for GWF even more ?
    with cc, cc immunity and mobility GWF already has enough tools for PvP. TR is one of the reasons GWF got nerfed so hard, if they added charges to it at the start gwf might be in much better place now, smth with cc, cc immunity and mobility doesnt need even more mobility to stick to targets

2) My gwf is not "way below other classes in usefulness in pve", far from it and in the end of the day thats the only thing that matters

oh please do explain how your gwf is as useful as other classes
    damage ? nope
    can tank ? nope
    utility ? lol

unless you are playing with bad/badly gared ppl

yes i can do 50% of party dmg in a dungeo/skirmish, but thats not because gwf is good
    Paladin Master Race
  • kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here is a novel concept. Perhaps we should all forget what we think our class should be and just try to do the best we can with what the devs give us.. cause believe it or not we wont be getting anything else. Even if they do introduce some sort of buff it will be the same situation cause they simply cant make us truly unstoppable due to pvp

I think this is a reasonable perspective.

My proposal:
    a) buff Wicked Strike & WMS damage slightly (no PVP implications).
    b) buff Come & Get it by making it Mark.
    c) buff Daring Shout to increase the temporary damage resistance and increase the range.
    d) reduce the number of destroyer stacks (and double the effectiveness of the remain stacks), nets out as same damage, just faster to take effect.
    edited November 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    so you want to fk up pve for GWF even more ?
    with cc, cc immunity and mobility GWF already has enough tools for PvP. TR is one of the reasons GWF got nerfed so hard, if they added charges to it at the start gwf might be in much better place now, smth with cc, cc immunity and mobility doesnt need even more mobility to stick to targets

oh please do explain how your gwf is as useful as other classes
    damage ? nope
    can tank ? nope
    utility ? lol

unless you are playing with bad/badly gared ppl

yes i can do 50% of party dmg in a dungeo/skirmish, but thats not because gwf is good

Just another space holder is what you are and talking with you is a waste of time. End of story
    edited November 2014
    I think this is a reasonable perspective.

My proposal:
    a) buff Wicked Strike & WMS damage slightly (no PVP implications).
    b) buff Come & Get it by making it Mark.
    c) buff Daring Shout to increase the temporary damage resistance and increase the range.
    d) reduce the number of destroyer stacks (and double the effectiveness of the remain stacks), nets out as same damage, just faster to take effect.

Seconded. While they are at it however they need to do sth about the Wicked Strike rubberbanding issues. In high end content where critters can cause heavy damage and even hitkill you WS is not reliable.
  • squibosquibo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They need to do something about GWF, how come they dont see ppl are complaining all over the place
    we didnt get any replay from devs for long time
    give us something to rise our hope
    Do you devs look at this forum, is it to hard to replay? or u think GWF are in good place?
    Yeah right, Barracks are full of posts how GWF is great!
    Jamaica