test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STR or CHA?

n1nja4n1nja4 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Thieves' Den
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Neverwinter, playing for a bout a week now and hitting almost lvl 60.
Now I see a lot of TR's with either DEX + STR or DEX + CHA. I went for DEX + STR but my question is which is better?

Greetings,

Qzar
Post edited by n1nja4 on

Comments

• Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    n1nja4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Neverwinter, playing for a bout a week now and hitting almost lvl 60.
    Now I see a lot of TR's with either DEX + STR or DEX + CHA. I went for DEX + STR but my question is which is better?

Greetings,

Qzar

Hello and welcome. The answer to your question will be based on what it is exactly that you mean by "best"
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thank you. I guess I mean which gives most dps? And which preference u give for PvE and PvP?
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Got 21 STR/18 CHA/26 DEX on mine.

Does not hurt to pump into CHA a little at all. Even a WK can get a crapton of deflect out of DEX/CHA now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Uhh i got 23 STR/ 17 CHA/ 25 DEX is that ok?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    With the stealth crit thing now massive DEX/Crit not a huge deal now. As long at deflect is at a good range. 30% at 60 at least I would say.
  • Options
    sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    26 Dex, 22 Str, and 17 Cha works fine for me. But I did just get a Charisma Belt to supplement (But not because I need it. Just because.) I think you are fine with what you have Ninja4. But that is only one half-orc's opinion.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    focus all on strength and hp....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I switched to pure fun play now and so I am trying for a more balanced approach with maybe a bit more focus on Charisma. I think I will go with the charisma belt but I also have the dex/char belt, str belt, and dex belt. Str is the better choice for damage, of course, but I also want to live through things too and Char fills nicely for some damage increase as well as survivability. Your stats sound fine so I think you can freely choose with no concerns (but maybe avoid more dex).
  • Options
    mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Based on my tests and the Damage Calculation formula, Strength give more damage bonus than Charisma.

With 20 STR and 18 CHA : a stealthed crit lashing blade = 21680

With 16 STR and 21 CHA : 21123

With 18 STR and 19 CHA : 21404.

It's a minor difference, but it's a fact : Strength give a permanent and better damage bonus, and a synergy with "Disciple of Strength" feat.

Charisma give a lesser damage bonus and this bonus is effective only in combat advantage situation.

Combat advantage damage bonus from artifacts, pets active bonus and gear is good, but combat advantage damage bonus from charisma is poor.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Meh, 1 point of deflect seems a lot better than that tiny tiny damage boost after looking at that.
  • Options
    mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, Charisma give deflect+combat advantage bonus.

But it's esay to up the deflection stat with gear, artifacts, boons, and now, Dexterity give 1% deflect too.

Charisma is not the better first ability score. Strength give permanent better damage bonus and Stamina regen, and there is a synergy with the feat "disciple of strength". Charisma is 2nd better ability score : deflection and bonus damage in combat advantage situation.

Dexterity is an imposed high stat, so, in theory, better combination is ( for magnitudes values STR > Cha=Dex=Con=Int ), with variations for high deflect builds, high HP pool builds, and High INT builds.

Just my opinion after tests.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, think INT builds are a thing of the past.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What's the stat distribution for? Are we talking PvP purposes or PvE?

At any rate, if its PvE, then you don't need CHA at all. Just horde everything to DEX and STR, and then get the correct items to maintain maybe 30k HP. (The 22~24k HP glass cannon players with over 17~18k GS, are just too weak and frail and unstable without tank/heal support. I view these sort as incompetent) The chances are the mobs will be attacking someone else, so just get enough HP to survive heavy hits once or twice, and then put everything else to damage increase.

As for PvP, in my case I distribute half/half with DEX/CHA and CON/CHA, since I take the deflection based defense approach. This gives me around 42~44% deflection with 40k HP with a CON belt, and 50% deflection with 37k HP with a DEX belt.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kweassa wrote: »

At any rate, if its PvE, then you don't need CHA at all. Just horde everything to DEX and STR, and then get the correct items to maintain maybe 30k HP. (The 22~24k HP glass cannon players with over 17~18k GS, are just too weak and frail and unstable without tank/heal support. I view these sort as incompetent) The chances are the mobs will be attacking someone else, so just get enough HP to survive heavy hits once or twice, and then put everything else to damage increase.

Problem with this advice is that you'll still get one shotted even with 30k HP so from a realistic standpoint it makes no difference. This taken with the rest of the opinion, basically that a TR who is reliant on a team in an environment where you must have a team to even access is completely contradictory. Incompetent for not being self reliant in a dungeon that requires a team Kweassa? Really?
    I've noticed your posts have been growing more and more disgruntled lately which is odd because you used to make a lot of sense but this?

For the OP, a good team will ensure that you can perform your function well and the stat distribution begins to come down to play styles. I'm a Saboteur focused on tactics and stealth bursts and as such my play will be different from an executioner or scoundrel's which means my stats will be different as well.
    Str is the basis for all DPS so maxing that stat out is first. Dex is more useful for stand and fight, low stealth burst types for the increased crit chance damage boost whereas high stealth burst types will benefit more damagewise from high Cha instead at the cost of lower output when out of stealth. Hope this helps.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    as saboteur str > cha
    as scoundrel dex > cha
    as executioner str > dex > cha

as rayrdan CON > STR > INT> DEX> CHA :P
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Isn't it nice how everyone has a different preference? That's what roleplaying is all about - doing what you like to do!

I personally got a CHA belt because my DEX (26) and STR (21) seemed high enough due to the damage I have been producing. It was nice to get +3% deflect from the belt! Now my deflect is 41%.

Yes, I have a weird build, but it works for me - I may be the only Wood Elf TR in existence. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    nezyrworksnezyrworks Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2014
    morenthar wrote: »
    You might be now. Syndul use to be Wood Elf but I needed a reroll and switched to Sun Elf.

I do feel Thiefling is excellent for that matter. But again im using dex=con(+belt) and cha>str proportion for scoundrel (MI).
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Silverjon is still a wood elf TR. (Yes, mine.)

I guess Svetlana stopped playing, but probably would have never changed race.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    casia345casia345 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited November 2014
    yeah, I've just come back, since stopping playing shortly after launch.
    Back then I did a lot of testing, and data crunching to figure "what was best". it was pretty obvious that STR was by far the primary rogue stat. And, cha seemed like the next best. Dex falling way behind, possibly even int.
    I am still not caught up on every patch between then and now. But, I did come back just before this recent revamp. so, its possible there are math changes or skill changes in there, I'm not aware of.
    But right now, the changes to stealth and giving 100% crit, massively devalues dex and crit rating both.

This is going to have to be reconciled at some point imho. whats the point of crit on gear, if you have 100% crit in stealth? the aoe resist, and deflect are nice. But I'm inclined to say "not enough", when dex is supposed to be a rogues "primary" stat. And crit rating on gear is now near worthless.

The exact value will vary depending on your feat choices. There were many changes there, that will effect your stealth uptime, and combat advantage.