test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why did we prepatch?

2»

Comments

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Bandwidth is a finite resource. Doesn't matter how fast your own connection is, if you have nothing less than the entire playerbase patching, you're going to have your download speeds slowed to a crawl.

That is why the online service that I have been involved with, which has bandwidth usage levels that would blow Cryptic's mind, uses CDNs when needed. They're very good at large spiky loads (for all your monster hedgehog... err.. needs), it's how the grown-ups do it these days.
  • sireuainsireuain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Now I can't connect to the patch server...
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    That is why the online service that I have been involved with, which has bandwidth usage levels that would blow Cryptic's mind, uses CDNs when needed. They're very good at large spiky loads (for all your monster hedgehog... err.. needs), it's how the grown-ups do it these days.

So what. internet routes that are controlled by Certain providers will still limit the speeds. So saying what is available is pointless.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    So what. internet routes that are controlled by Certain providers will still limit the speeds. So saying what is available is pointless.

That is rather the point of a CDN :)
  • pilipino93pilipino93 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I finished my patch in like ten minutes. Then when it said Play, launcher couldn't connect and crashed xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pietreanupietreanu Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait...al staff is work for server ...wait and wait enjoy music:)
    edited November 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    That is rather the point of a CDN :)

They would know about that and still have a way to nail you. Maybe not much of a nail but they would still get you.
  • karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pilipino93 wrote: »
    I finished my patch in like ten minutes. Then when it said Play, launcher couldn't connect and crashed xD

I patched up pretty fast, 5 minutes or so, but then when I was in game and tried to switch character. Boom, no connection. Lame.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • sireuainsireuain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    FYI, pre-patch isn't the same as the day-of patch. Pre-patch generally is graphics updates unique to the patch, while the day-of patch are actual changes to the game engine.
  • chaostheorysevenchaostheoryseven Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    They would know about that and still have a way to nail you. Maybe not much of a nail but they would still get you.
    Perhaps you should rather look up what CDN is before starting to ramble your confusion all over.
    I love to burst bubbles.
    edited November 2014
    I know what CDNs are. The providers are still gonna limit you. Why do you think this Net Neutrality got started. Because of what the Providers are trying to do.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wow! I am so angry! My patch took 5 whole minutes! Good grief! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm just not going to allow the pre-patches. They seem to try to re-load whenever
    I quit the game. May as well wait til the 3rd patch of the day or so. They really
    don't save time.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?