test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why did we prepatch?

rheeparkrheepark Member Posts: 61 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Why did we prepatch if i have to patch again and crash mid patch and repatch and stil patching for over 2 hours? What happened during all these patches? Did something break?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chaostheorysevenchaostheoryseven Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2014
    If there was no additional mini-patch today (mere 2GB!) you couldn't enjoy proper nostalgia over these 15yr old download speeds.
    I love to burst bubbles.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just imagine the fun without a pre-patch. It probably would have been a lot worse. :)

Think positive! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    mine has been a 1012 megabyte patch and its been 2 hours.......
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bandwidth is a finite resource. Doesn't matter how fast your own connection is, if you have nothing less than the entire playerbase patching, you're going to have your download speeds slowed to a crawl.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Bandwidth is a finite resource. Doesn't matter how fast your own connection is, if you have nothing less than the entire playerbase patching, you're going to have your download speeds slowed to a crawl.

this didn't happend with dread ring/sharandar or icewind. but yeah. you are right.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Makes me glad this happens while I'm at work :)

If you want better bandwidth, slide some money under the door ;)
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I just wanted to know what broke from my prepatches but on a side note, how many people play this game anyway? cant be more then 10,000.
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    rheepark wrote: »
    how many people play this game anyway? cant be more then 10,000.

it's over 9000 !!!!!!
  • Options
    kilden1234kilden1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 42
    edited November 2014
    Advice to DEV's: Dont make such a HYPE about new module release if you cannot deliver on the day. Im suck at 53% paching, and getting pissed coz you hyped this and got me all exited.

I guess the way to go is to not expect anything, not get exited, and not get hypped about this game, because you cannot deliver on the day. Im really, utterly unimpressed.
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kilden1234 wrote: »
    Advice to DEV's: Dont make such a HYPE about new module release if you cannot deliver on the day. Im suck at 53% paching, and getting pissed coz you hyped this and got me all exited.

I guess the way to go is to not expect anything, not get exited, and not get hypped about this game, because you cannot deliver on the day. Im really, utterly unimpressed.

- i second this.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Every single MMO is this way on a big release.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And, in point of fact, Neverwinter has been this way on every release. It's like RNG whether you happen to get a solid connection or not.
  • Options
    chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    It was just a pre-patch. They still needed to patch again today :)
  • Options
    sireuainsireuain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I understand bandwidth and that not everything can be pre-downloaded.

Why is it that every time the downloader stops downloading, I have to start over from scratch?
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gives them more time to fix bugs
  • Options
    dragonphenoixdragonphenoix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    try on demand patch as long as u dont go to new area ur fine
  • Options
    allself44allself44 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wait till you try to enter the new zone "Well of Dragons"
    been over 20 minutes and still downloading.
    Shining on the stupidity of it all, in all its glory
    Was going with that for sig, but changed my mind. Or did I?
  • Options
    chaostheorysevenchaostheoryseven Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2014
    sireuain wrote: »
    Why is it that every time the downloader stops downloading, I have to start over from scratch?
    It doesn't start from the scratch. Even though it says 0% afterwards, is simply continues where it left off.
    I love to burst bubbles.
  • Options
    c0ttyc0tty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    .... losing the will to live wile try zone to The Well of Dragons . Patching 6 files ....
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Turn off on-demand patching in options. It takes longer to load up the game but you don't have to wait when changing zones.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rheepark wrote: »
    Why did we prepatch if i have to patch again and crash mid patch and repatch and stil patching for over 2 hours? What happened during all these patches? Did something break?

now that sir or madam is a dammmmmmn good question XD
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You're probably not re-downloading anything. The thing that is taking a lot of time (I think) is that the game server sends a request on each file to see if it already exists in your pre-patch folder; then your computer sends back that info; then the game server sends a request to your computer to copy the file from the pre-patch folder to the live folder; then your computer sends another ping back to tell the game server it's been copied; then the whole process starts over again. So all that pinging back and forth among all the attempts to log in is clogging up the pipeline.

If you get disconnected, then there is the initial request to see what's in your live folder, etc - then you might notice that your game 'total patched' number usually goes down a bit based on whatever is remaining on the patch.

You can watch the whole process happening by pressing 'ctrl-x' once the launcher starts the patching process.
  • Options
    yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2014

agreed but connection speed is like buying power. unless they are using a third world server that as. I have never in my gaming experience seen where its taking 10 min to patch 7 files and im running over 110 mbps in the USA......
  • Options
    aspen1979aspen1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 64
    edited November 2014
    stuck at 53% as well
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So I did all the prepatching. Started zoning and it took forever, over 20 minutes and I still had not zoned. I force closed the game and reopned. Now I have 5.6GB to download and its going at less than 20kbs... Looks like i get to play next month.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    agreed but connection speed is like buying power. unless they are using a third world server that as. I have never in my gaming experience seen where its taking 10 min to patch 7 files and im running over 110 mbps in the USA......

Again, YOUR connection may be running fast but in this case it's running into a brick wall on the other end. It has nothing to do with what server Cryptic is using--it's the bandwidth of their connection that's being taxed.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Good For you! Now if you could only stop bashing the NW Staff....
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Also Providers have been throttling internet traffic as the want people to pay for faster service. So having 110 mbps in the US is nothing. That is just a plan you are on with your provider. Whether you get those speeds is a different matter.
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    also, don't forget to hit the "anykey" after it patches!!
    I'm in the "prison" now!!
    :)
  • Options
    akselmoiakselmoi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Servers getting clogged happens SOOOO often with MMO's (and some other games) when something new and exciting is coming out.

Sure it sucks bananas but all we can really do is wait.. And they should learn that they need more bandwidth before rolling out bigger updates.

Patience, my friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]