test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How Long Does an Account Rollback Usually Take?

gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I was hacked on the 8th-9th and immediately put in a support ticket as soon as I saw what had happened. I have been waiting for some acknowledgement (besides the form letter telling me to run antivirus/spyware/malware) from support on getting my account rolled back since the 9th. and am wondering if anyone knows how long it can take.

Before anyone gets any smart ideas about why I got hacked.
No, i never used third party sellers.
Yes I scan daily for virus/malware/spyware.
No, I never received any email stating that another computer had accessed my account.

I am just wondering if a 3 day wait on any customer support issue is normal, or if I am getting swept under the rug.
It would be nice to get a response to something that is so obviously a fault with the security measures in place instead of a form letter that tries to imply that I am the one at fault. It would also be nice if I had a chance to get online and grind some AD for RP before they get bound.
Post edited by gerbilhurdler on

Comments

• darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Judging from how long it has taken for guildies to get their accounts rolled back, I'd expect about a week.

You probably won't get another support email until the one telling you it has been resolved, assuming you gave sufficient information in your original ticket.

Don't expect any apologetic response, because -- and I know you don't want to hear it -- the fault lies on your end, not Cryptic/PWE. If Cryptic was the one who was hacked, there would be hundreds of posts on the forums exclaiming about lost accounts.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    10 days, i submitted the issue they contacted me back in 2 days requesting more info then i sent the info and waited 6 days then sent another ticket pleading for a resolution and it was done in 2 more days after that. I've read that if you stay logged into the forums for extended periods of time like several days (how i used to do at work) then they can some how possibly get you info, but who knows. Anyways if you haven't heard anything in a few days i would send another ticket and be nice try to get some sympathy and they might get around to it. Oh and make sure to collect anything that might be in you mail box and move it to another char, all my items that were in that chars mail was removed.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't expect any apologetic response, because -- and I know you don't want to hear it -- the fault lies on your end, not Cryptic/PWE. If Cryptic was the one who was hacked, there would be hundreds of posts on the forums exclaiming about lost accounts.

Thats some BS, until it happens to these people thats the only response you will get from close minded people like this. There is defiantly some work around because just like you they didn't have access to my e-mail (diffrent pws) and their was no message saying they logged in from somewhere else. I'm the network administrator for my business and did tech support/web hosting for 7 years, i have anti virus/malware installed. I use firefox with no scrips enabled so you won't get infected while browsing malicious sites. I didn't have any infected files when scanned after i was hacked so I'm sure they didn't get the info from my end.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Judging from how long it has taken for guildies to get their accounts rolled back, I'd expect about a week.

You probably won't get another support email until the one telling you it has been resolved, assuming you gave sufficient information in your original ticket.

It is absolutely not on my end, and I have seen many posts on this forum about people getting hacked and receiving no email, it just gets taken down and locked as soon as it goes up with a link to customer support. I have a smart phone on me 24/7and never received any e-mail notification saying that another computer had accessed my account. Even had I had my email account hacked too, i would have still received a notification of an e-mail on my phone. I'm not saying the whole server info got hacked, but if so many have been hacked with no e-mail going out about new computer accessing the account then they are obviously not up to date with their security measures.
    Besides, do you honestly think they are rolling out a new security system because the one they have is working?

This is most likely a deal breaker for me. A week or more to get my account rolled back is symptomatic of a company that doesn't have enough customer support staff. Soon , if they keep going the way they are, going they will run out of customers to support them, so I guess it will even out.

Even so , thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll troll around the forums for the next couple and see if it rolls back.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Typically a week or two, from what I've seen with other guildies.

And like the other guy said, account security is mostly in your own hands. If there was some sort of loophole or backdoor way that people found, you would see many, many more posts about people getting their account compromised. And if there was some sort of security flaw, the last thing they would do is admit it to customer...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

And like the other guy said, account security is mostly in your own hands. If there was some sort of loophole or backdoor way that people found, you would see many, many more posts about people getting their account compromised. And if there was some sort of security flaw, the last thing they would do is admit it to customer...
    So what am I supposed to do to be more secure, i already have paid subs to Mlawarebytes, Spybot s&d, and avast antivirus. I run a full system scan every day.
    I also only use this computer to access my email, facebook, this forum and this game.
    I don't have anyone in my news feed but actual friends and don't like pages or visit pages or links on facebook, it is basically just to share info with friends and family.

I've done full system scans, scanned all files, done a full boot scan, and checked all my processes and browser plug ins and found no security faults on my end since the account got hacked or before.

If after doing all that i am still not safe, then what the hell can I do? Do I need some DOD type security for my system to be able to play the game safely?
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Did you reuse an account name/password combination or one of either that you've used elsewhere?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Most accounts that get breached and looted, aren't because of some sophisticated trojan a hacker cleverly hid on your computer. It's usually the little things that result in lost accounts, using an easy password, allowing page redirects on your browser (tough to notice if you aren't attentive, makes you an easy phishing target) and gaining notoriety in the game you're playing. People lose far more accounts to this sort of stuff (especially getting to know people in-game) than to phishing and brute-force attempts.

One other thing, PHP based forum software (like this) is vulnerable to SQL injection type attacks but it's not possible to get away with unencrypted data.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

I disagree. I was also hacked once. I have excellent PC/firewall security. I am 90% sure it was some sort of in-game issue because of the circumstances around the hack timing - occurred within a week of an in-game trade with another player (stranger). What was interesting about the trade was that it took the seller about 2 minutes to finally allow the trade, after several messages from me! I am thinking there might be some sort of glitch or third-party software that works within the game.

After this incident, I refused to participate in any in-game trading with people I don't know. This occurred back in Feb 2014 - have never been hacked again across all of my accounts (I have a few) since then.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited November 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    Most accounts that get breached and looted, aren't because of some sophisticated trojan a hacker cleverly hid on your computer. It's usually the little things that result in lost accounts, using an easy password, allowing page redirects on your browser (tough to notice if you aren't attentive, makes you an easy phishing target) and gaining notoriety in the game you're playing. People lose far more accounts to this sort of stuff (especially getting to know people in-game) than to phishing and brute-force attempts.

I can guarantee you that none of this applied to my situation as I am familiar with the tactics you described.

I don't want to trade again with another stranger just to prove my point . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited November 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I can guarantee you that none of this applied to my situation as I am familiar with the tactics you described.

I don't want to trade again with another stranger just to prove my point . . .

The game client simply doesn't work the way you described, I did state, however, that it IS possible to gain people's passwords from the forums (which you spend a lot of time on). This is only for very VERY patient people as data stolen from the forums has to be painstakingly unencrypted (which might also explain why only one or two passwords get found/stolen at a time).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    No , all my pws are different.
    I took every precaution, that is why this is so scary to me.
    I looked in lower depths and see two posts in the last couple months about people getting hacked with no e-mail notification...
    and for every person that posts in forums there are probably ten that don't. So it is happening to other people, not just me.

I hope they resolve this before mod5, I would like to be grinding AD to buy some RP before the change.
    edited November 2014
    No , all my pws are different.
    I took every precaution, that is why this is so scary to me.
    I looked in lower depths and see two posts in the last couple months about people getting hacked with no e-mail notification...
    and for every person that posts in forums there are probably ten that don't. So it is happening to other people, not just me.

I hope they resolve this before mod5, I would like to be grinding AD to buy some RP before the change.

Keep in mind that it is easy for other people to SEE what you have on your account, with that information (targets) their job becomes a bit easier, especially if they know which account names to look for in the database... Sure, the work ain't quick and easy, but it works...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    The game client simply doesn't work the way you described, I did state, however, that it IS possible to gain people's passwords from the forums (which you spend a lot of time on). This is only for very VERY patient people as data stolen from the forums has to be painstakingly unencrypted (which might also explain why only one or two passwords get found/stolen at a time).

My passwords are different. Also, my hacked account's characters at that time had no notoriety of any type - they were "newer" level 60s with mostly blue gear, no YouTube videos, etc. :)

edited November 2014

I did p*ss off a guy in forums right before it happened.
    edited November 2014
    My passwords are different. Also, my hacked account's characters at that time had no notoriety of any type - they were "newer" level 60s with mostly blue gear, no YouTube videos, etc. :)

You're saying you had an account stolen that had nothing valuable on it? please confirm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    You're saying you had an account stolen that had nothing valuable on it? please confirm

Well, I did have gold and AD, which is what was stolen. Prior to the hack, I had just shy of 1 million AD and about 450 gold.

And all toons on this account were standing at the mail courier in PE when I logged on.

edited November 2014
    Whoever it was that did this obviously knew what they were doing.
    They went character to character unslotting weapon, armor, and any other enchants that were 7 or above. Then went back and started selling off inventory one char at a time, I logged when he had just started the second guy so only one got cleaned completely out.

I'm picturing like a Tom Cruise like Mission Impossible type highly choregraphed and extremely well executed plan to take out the Gerbil.
    The worst part is that if I don't get rolled back soon I won't be able to do Respen's.....thanks Tom Cruise.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I did p*ss off a guy in forums right before it happened.

Uh, yeah... I wouldn't bother to much about that. I tend to make people mad a lot. Its rare to upset someone that has the ability to do anything about it. And even then you have to give them an opening.

I will admit to being "hacked" once a long time ago. That 1 time was a total loss. But it was also totally my fault. I had used a crappy password on my email. Once they got into that they used it to reset the passwords on a half dozen different games.

From my own personal experience its devastating, and I feel for anyone going through it. But most likely you have an opening somewhere that needs to be fixed. Either on the computer or not (I know several that lost all to their ex-significant other). Blaming the game for it would only be wasting time you could use to find it.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • wildfire412001wildfire412001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    good luck with getting it rolled back. it says somewhere there's no guarantee it CAN be rolled back or that all of your items will be returned. my sons account was hacked and he reported it twice within 5 minutes. even after providing the IP information from who the hacker was and numerous emails, his account was finally reinstated after about a week but all that was there after rollback was the stuff that was bound to him, everything was gone forever.
  • jondbxjondbx Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am 90% sure it was some sort of in-game issue because of the circumstances around the hack timing - occurred within a week of an in-game trade with another player (stranger). What was interesting about the trade was that it took the seller about 2 minutes to finally allow the trade, after several messages from me! I am thinking there might be some sort of glitch or third-party software that works within the game.

After this incident, I refused to participate in any in-game trading with people I don't know. This occurred back in Feb 2014 - have never been hacked again across all of my accounts (I have a few) since then.

This is essentially a known issue. It was also the reason they made keys BoA. There is some way when doing a trade that the thief gains access to your account data and can spoof being you (down to the pc level). This is why there is no activation of account guard.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jondbx wrote: »
    This is essentially a known issue. It was also the reason they made keys BoA. There is some way when doing a trade that the thief gains access to your account data and can spoof being you (down to the pc level). This is why there is no activation of account guard.

PMed Lew with my concerns.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    edited November 2014

I had a guy at mid 30s level keep trying to trade me in PE a couple weeks ago.
    After the 3rd or 4th time the trade window popped i accepted but he never offered anything, after a minute he offered a green sword so I just left PE.
    I hope that isn't what happened or I will never trade in game again.

Anyways, fingers crossed that they will get me back up and running before Respen's.
    I have faith in you guys!
  • ferrousdogferrousdog Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Hubby just logged in today after about a week of not logging in and he was hacked. All his guys were standing at the post box in Protectors, over 3 million in AD gone, all higher level enchantments gone, basically anything not account bound is gone and even some of his gear and bags are gone. Even stuff out of his bank is gone. There were in-game emails for auctions he never bid on since he hadn't been logged in for a week... He's not the happiest camper right now and is hoping that they rollback his characters (he has 7) to at least a week ago.

He has changed his password, but like people are saying here, there was no notification of his account being logged in from somewhere else. He has no notoriety in the game and doesn't even come onto the forums so the only thing we can think is that it was just random bad luck that somebody hacked him.
    edited November 2014
    ferrousdog wrote: »
    The Hubby just logged in today after about a week of not logging in and he was hacked. All his guys were standing at the post box in Protectors, over 3 million in AD gone, all higher level enchantments gone, basically anything not account bound is gone and even some of his gear and bags are gone. Even stuff out of his bank is gone. There were in-game emails for auctions he never bid on since he hadn't been logged in for a week... He's not the happiest camper right now and is hoping that they rollback his characters (he has 7) to at least a week ago.

He has changed his password, but like people are saying here, there was no notification of his account being logged in from somewhere else. He has no notoriety in the game and doesn't even come onto the forums so the only thing we can think is that it was just random bad luck that somebody hacked him.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
    They are rolling out the new ARc Defender security measures any time now so hopefully this is a thing of the past.
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jesus had some lvl 5 keep starting random trades With me today in pe.... Cant log in to the game for another 12 hours...
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Is this true? O_o can someone from the moderation team ask one of the community team to confirm or deny this please lol if it is true then I find it odd that they wouldn't just turn the ability to trade off until it was fixed.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Not sure how this slipped by us. Alas, we don't allow support related threads like this where the issue can only be handled by going through Support.

iambecks1 wrote: »
    Is this true? O_o can someone from the moderation team ask one of the community team to confirm or deny this please lol if it is true then I find it odd that they wouldn't just turn the ability to trade off until it was fixed.

No, there has been no word that there is any weight to such a wild assumption. If one thinks it is true however, contact Support. As for keys becoming BoA: Keys were, in fact, made BoA to stop third-party sites from controlling the market on locked box contents.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.