test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Humorous) Tropes in Neverwinter we don't think about much...

bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Here are a few tropes/cliches that are present in Neverwinter, which due to various reasons, we don't pay too much attention to:

1. Arbitrary aggro range - you and your entire party can stand well within visual range of a group of enemies, but they'll happily stand there forever unless you get just a bit closer.

2. Concealed storage - with the exception of the various magical storage bags, how can a 4' Halfling carry like 10 suits of armor and hundreds of potions without being impeded one bit? Nor do they show any kind of backpack of any kind.

3. Mount from nowhere - our mounts can neither be attacked, nor can they aid us in battle.

4. Forgetful contacts - This is particularly evident in the Blighted Grove section of Sharandar - that one female Elf seems dead-set on insulting us right to our face, no matter how much we've helped the Illiyanbruen Elves. If I was more skilled, I'd make a Foundry quest where she got captured and you could choose not to rescue her until she apologized! :mad:

5. Potions of non-drinking - There are some enemies, (namely the minion-level pirates in the Blackdagger Ruins zone), that visibly take out a potion bottle and drink it. We players, OTOH, can apparently have the contents of our potion bottles teleported directly into our stomachs/mouths, (not to mention, no sign of the empties anywhere).

Have any other funny/weird observations? Post them below.
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The postal couriers never move. Damien Chase is a mastermind.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There can be a bit of a lag between the time a Mob decides to say something and the time they actually do. With a high DpS toon facing low HP Mobs this can lead to critters busting out taunts just AFTER you have killed them. Or, in the case of some of the Red Caps seem to REALLY, REALLY ENJOY being killed. Like, a lot........

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • tarftgmtarftgm Banned Users Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    The moment where a huge plate-wearing guy runs faster than an actual mount and an "Agile" Trickster Rogue.

The moment where a physical Shield absorbs magical spells.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My favorite is that everyone in Neverwinter all got shipwrecked and everyone is the hero of sleeping dragon bridge.

Its like Lord Neverember is intentionally destroying ships to fill his city with heroes. This would also mean he is most likely cloning Wilfred.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How not one single brick, flagstone, or timber has been repaired on Deekin Street in a year. The head of the Neverwinter Streets Department needs to be fired.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    our character never need rest, we run for hours nonstop, fight non stop never get hungry never tire. Its like we are not a race of humoids, more like robots.

we never are unhappy sad or frown either, always a smile per say.
    edited November 2014
    our character never need rest, we run for hours nonstop, fight non stop never get hungry never tire. Its like we are not a race of humoids, more like robots.

we never are unhappy sad or frown either, always a smile per say.

Not all characters smile (Those are often halflings, they look like happy imbeciles), there are some that have the " :( " on their face, actually.
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tarftgm wrote: »
    Not all characters smile (Those are often halflings, they look like happy imbeciles), there are some that have the " :( " on their face, actually.

I have not seen that, i guess they are always :( then never :)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    3. Mount from nowhere - our mounts can neither be attacked, nor can they aid us in battle.

didnt Drizzts unicorn work same way ? dont realy remember
    Paladin Master Race
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Killing enemies made of ice with icy spells, and burning enemies made of lava/fire
    Killing same dragons (and other enemies) over and over again, looting their bodies and they appear again and again.
    Killing huge boss - like dragon and it and it drops a armor or boots ... which fits perfectly on halfling
    Dragons fighting you on ground instead of flying around and burning you with fire breath
  • cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Halflings:
    -Halflings being GWFs, GFs, HRs; considering their short height they should not be capable of wielding sword almost 3 times bigger than them, they should not be able to wield shield bigger than them in one hand while wielding sword in the other (unless they start moving like a turtle using shield as their shell) and how can they shot from bows of their or greater lenght.
    -Halflings can be stronger than half orcs and dragonborns
    -Halflings moving at same speed as any other race without being exhausted more (shorter legs=more steps to make to keep up)
    -Halflings not starting Faerun Space Missions each time one is sent flying by the dragon (instead they are pushed off by few meters like any other normal race)
    -Halflings being resist to control is like saying that football is resistant to kicking
    -Halfling killing the dragon (unless the dragon died of laughter after seeing who came to fight him)
    ^ok this one is a joke (like Halflings)

Other:
    -Only selected dragons have bones in them (Dragon Bone to be exact) and belts (some fancy ones made of owlbear)
    -Lostmauth gold (which he got from Severin) cannot be picked up after defeating the dragon (also failed investment by Severin)
    -I have no idea why am I storming Castle Never, seriously I never looked that up, nothing made me think about what is that place or how did I ended up there
    -Everyone (along with Knox and Lord Neverember) forget about any campaign threat once you hit lv 60 (meaning farmers at Rothe may get as well accustom to their new "jobs")
    -Wilfred died after being thrown by Valindra's force while player is getting stabbed, burned, frozen, bitten, drenched in acid, lava and melted coins, electrocuted, smashed by giant mace, thrown into oblivion, or getting intimate with yeti's (not intentionally) not to mention that Knox always finds new job for us.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Theres a Troll under the bridge in Rothe Valley.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • ferrolhoferrolho Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Even though you have slaughtered millions, enemy npcs still think they can kill you.

Willfred never ges tired of getting killed again and freed again.

Xuna never opens that lausy chest

Rath Modar never knows how to craft the better gauntlets.

I've changed the name plates in the cemetery so many times that i no longer know what names to put in.
    edited November 2014
    When those silly cult mobs shout "The cult will reign supreme" all I hear is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-a-doodle-do.

Yea, i'm pretty sure that makes me odder then normal. :p
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    - Rothe Value that has now accual Rothe.
    - Killing dragons every 20 minutes that fly just for you to kill them and stay there untill you do so.
    - All city is being broken for over a year
    - Crown of neverwinter that is supposed to be on the head on Lord Never is permanently stolen from tombs underneath him. (WTF there is tombs anyway?)
    - Interrupting celebration of lord Never greeting new lvl 60 by running into his place on a huge mount to ask if he has some daily junk to do.
    - Halfings ) All above
    - All daily quests - "we are busy cause all of my workers got killed again by dragon but I ask you to kill them all enemies in MM again. no idea what they are doing in MM but they are digging again"
    - Mages that have shield that protects then not from arcane damage ( D&D lore)
    - Valindra getting pissed all the time while she still tries to get us as bodygards.
  • pingconcherepingconchere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    My favorite is that everyone in Neverwinter all got shipwrecked and everyone is the hero of sleeping dragon bridge.

Its like Lord Neverember is intentionally destroying ships to fill his city with heroes. This would also mean he is most likely cloning Wilfred.

Wow, that's the exact premise of my foundry quest. Like, literally.

Players cannot die; they just get injuries that go away when sitting next to a pile of wood on fire. On the other hand, our enemies get wrecked. Also, those enemies just decide to let you go if you walk far enough from their original spawnpoint. They also don't warn other groups about you.
    edited November 2014
    Wow, that's the exact premise of my foundry quest. Like, literally.

Players cannot die; they just get injuries that go away when sitting next to a pile of wood on fire. Oh the other hand, our enemies get wrecked. Also, those enemies just decide to let you go if you walk far enough from their original spawnpoint. They also don't warn other groups about you.

LOL, that's awesome. I can honestly say i've never played your foundry, my addled ramblings are completely my own. But I'm seriously going to have to give it a try now :p
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love this thread! Great posts so far!

Why do i need to do grave swapping more than once? In the end it might turn out as it was originally...

Why do we give a **** about the poor slaves in rothe valley while we are doing "bottled lightning"?

Why is all the content so super easy while the enemies look quite frightening and managed to nearly take over the world?

Why can we enter the Auction Hause wherever we are?

Why is it called Auction Hause when real bidding is happening quite seldomly?

Why are straw dummies much more durable than all the bosses in this game?

Why arent you able to place sittin NPC's in the Foundry while it is possible in the game?

Why can i only wear 2 rings? Hello? Ten fingers? and i can put at least 2 on each of them! Also i could easily wear 2 amulets!

We never need to repair our gear

How can a person switch from a bow to his blades that fast (and back)?

Why arent they able to defend the **** arcan reservoir once and for all while they are able to hold a base without losses in the middle of the realm of malabog?
    edited November 2014
    Xuna (The hero Rogue) still trying to open that box in Dread Ring.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    The fact that we are seen as heroes and are sent everywere to resolve bad situations but every single guard at campfire in leveling zones can one-shot every mob, meaning that they are much stronger than us and we are useless
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    At level 4 - you get to hold the Crown of Neverwinter.
    At level 59-60 - you're collecting mushrooms and shrubs...
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • emmrossemmross Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You can't drink potions while on horseback. What the-?
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    - Nobody ever questions your Trickster Rogue showing up in a creepy clown mask that completely covers his face with a pimp hat and a ridiculous froofy jester outfit. This is perfectly normal.

- No elf ever objects to you being a drow. Not even the grumpy one in Sharandar who's offended that you're not from Illiyanbruen.

- Even if you are a moon/sun/wood elf, the elves of Illiyanbruen still grump about mortal aid and outsiders.

- No matter how accomplished you are and no matter what unholy terrors you've defeated, the people of Caer Konig still treat you like a scrub when you arrive. Killed Valindra? Malabog? A dozen dragons? Tiamat herself? Whatever, you're a newb.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    emmross wrote: »
    You can't drink potions while on horseback. What the-?

Friends don't let Friends Potions and Drive!

This message brought to you by M.A.D.D.
    (Monsters Against Drunk Dungeoneering)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • ferrousdogferrousdog Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    HR's never run out of arrows and CW's never need to purchase/scavenge spell supplies (both of which I'm grateful for in game play). Whatever piece of armour you find, regardless of race or gender you are, it fits you like it was made for you.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Everyone dies and come back from a bonfire. We are actually the undead.
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    takedown stuns instead of taking down the enemy
    frontline surge shows 3 shields out of nowhere for gwf
    threating rush we have a paladin shield like.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here's some more:

No one reacts to our companions - they could be a giant spider, a giant snake-angel-lady, or even a leprechaun, but nobody cares one bit.

Nobody will sell us drinks! Sure, we can buy potions, gear of all sorts, various skill kits, but not one barkeep will pour me a pint, no matter how much money I have.

Along with the above, no one will sell us food! I've been living on leftovers from the Midsummer and Winter events, but I'm starting to run out! That bait-meat for the Portal Hounds in Malabog's realm and spoiled meat hanging around the Dwarven Valley is starting to look like a good alternative.

I keep losing my keys! I've been using the same key to lock and unlock the door to my home for years, but with just one use, the dungeon delve key breaks/vanishes/goes missing! Similarly, I can send some guards I've recruited to collect taxes, but they always loose the map! Personally, I think they can't find anyone to sell them food or drink, so just eat it out of necessity.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ferrolhoferrolho Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Who would have thought that epic leather, plate, mail, cloth armor where all made solely of astral diamonds.

How do the Harpers maintain their rumours network, they are always just standing there.
  • vheeshanevheeshane Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Alright, I think I have it. Yes, there was a great exodus, we were all ship wrecked and unconscious. Upon an island of Illithids, that have linked our minds keeping our psyche busy (hence all the nuances we can do and can't account for) much like the matrix. My question, what are they using us for?