test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Life After 60

jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvE Discussion
What do you do when you've maxed out your character's level? Go to mainly PvP? Start another character and do it all again?
How long after level 60 can you keep playing new games and areas (not counting for upgrades like Rise of Tiamat)?
Jerrocko,
Leader of the Packs
Post edited by jerrocko on

Comments

• Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Have you been to the Dread Ring or Sharendar yet?
    Icewind Dale?
    Those are your big Post 60 Areas.
    You also have your high end Dungeons and Skirmishes.
    Then there is PvP (A love it or hate it proposition in this game. I quite enjoy it in moderation myself.).
    There are also your Dailies from Rinx and the Lord Protector.
    There is no limit but your own preferences.
    Some folks like the Campaign System some do not.
    Just try stuff.
    If you like it, keep doing it.
    If you don't, stop.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you're in a guild, there is also Gauntlgrym.

Basically, you do stuff like dungeons and campaigns to make your character stronger.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jerrocko wrote: »
    What do you do when you've maxed out your character's level? Go to mainly PvP? Start another character and do it all again?
    How long after level 60 can you keep playing new games and areas (not counting for upgrades like Rise of Tiamat)?

Not sure what you mean by excluding upgrades. So I'm going to ignore that. If you are trying to ignore the modules themselves, then that doesn't even make sense. Its like asking: "What is there to do at 60 besides the stuff they made for us to do at 60."

Getting to 60 probably isn't even half of your character progression. You quit gaining levels but gain other stuff instead. First upon hitting 60 you have the classic grind for gear that exists in every MMO. Better gear gives you access to more dungeons and areas. You get two more artifact slots to fill and upgrade. As well as the last of your companion active slots. You get numerous boons from each campaign to upgrade your character with. Progressing in the campaigns opens up more dungeons and skirmishes. TOD introduced a new gear grind with artifact equipment that you upgrade similar to regular artifacts. Rise of Tiamat will expand on that. There is also the PvP campaign, that requires a bit from all the games types of PvP.

I'm not arguing the merits of the post-60 content. Some like it, some don't. But there is quite a bit. Which is kinda surprising imo considering how young the game is.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There's Dread Ring, Sharandar, Tyranny of Dragons, (which you can start around level 30), then Icewind Dale and soon Rise of Tiamat. All offer character upgrades in the form of boons and gear...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just wanted to say that the title of the thread was amusing. :)
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    If you're in a guild, there is also Gauntlgrym.

Basically, you do stuff like dungeons and campaigns to make your character stronger.

Hmm, not at this point, but interesting.
    thanks
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that the title of the thread was amusing. :)

Amazing what some people do after that... ;)
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    There's Dread Ring, Sharandar, Tyranny of Dragons, (which you can start around level 30), then Icewind Dale and soon Rise of Tiamat. All offer character upgrades in the form of boons and gear...

Cool. Thanks.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    runebane wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by excluding upgrades. So I'm going to ignore that. If you are trying to ignore the modules themselves, then that doesn't even make sense. Its like asking: "What is there to do at 60 besides the stuff they made for us to do at 60."

Getting to 60 probably isn't even half of your character progression. You quit gaining levels but gain other stuff instead. First upon hitting 60 you have the classic grind for gear that exists in every MMO. Better gear gives you access to more dungeons and areas. You get two more artifact slots to fill and upgrade. As well as the last of your companion active slots. You get numerous boons from each campaign to upgrade your character with. Progressing in the campaigns opens up more dungeons and skirmishes. TOD introduced a new gear grind with artifact equipment that you upgrade similar to regular artifacts. Rise of Tiamat will expand on that. There is also the PvP campaign, that requires a bit from all the games types of PvP.

I'm not arguing the merits of the post-60 content. Some like it, some don't. But there is quite a bit. Which is kinda surprising imo considering how young the game is.

Sounds good, but don't read too much into the question or take it too heavily. Some games are limited, and nothing to do or go for after a point. Nice to know this isn't, though I would like more levels for stronger powers, and at least more power slots. Half of them go unused at any given time, and some of those were filler to make it the next tier.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    zelfironzelfiron Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Early Retirement? Pension?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Zelfiron: Control Wizard
    Siana: Trickster Rogue
    Andromeda: Devoted Cleric
    Death Strike: Guardian Fighter
    Blind Fury: Great Weapon Fighter
    Phantom Reaper: Hunter Ranger (To be Changed to Huntress when I figure out how to)
    Helena: Oathbound Paladin
    Bad Juju: Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    zelfiron wrote: »
    Early Retirement? Pension?

I thought maybe some of them become bullies in queues and dungeons, which one of them has, yet I get bothered for exposing him…ridiculous. :mad:
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All that has been mentioned, but also there is the Foundry. Beyond those "upgrades" and the Foundry - there isn't much, but if not for those it all becomes a catch-22 just the same. it's a moot question and argument.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I didn't see anyone mention epic dungeons either.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I didn't see anyone mention epic dungeons either.

I'm not even sure which are which anymore, epic or regular. I just try to have keys for both.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What do you do when you've maxed out your character's level?

You max out your gs. Time caps, RNG... it's all designed to keep you busy. Entertained not, but busy.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    You max out your gs. Time caps, RNG... it's all designed to keep you busy. Entertained not, but busy.

I hear that about the entertainment. The professions and ID'ing gear are boring. I can't even find most of the Prof stuff for artificing or talioring. Plus, this game could use some quick travels too, instead of a slow horse through an entire section map of respawned enemies. Too much time is wasted just getting to and from quests.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey, you're the one who says a 110% speed mount is a waste of money. :P
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm at 60 now, and I see a bunch of things starting to open up. Some I could've gotten earlier, but I was just all quest-y to this point, to get my character to level 60.
    Still, it's going to be tough playing this once DA Inquisition comes out...or am I violating some rule by even mentioning that? ;)
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Hey, you're the one who says a 110% speed mount is a waste of money. :P
    Not a waste of money, just too spendy for it's worth. I did break down and buy the Golden at 33% off, as I also stated, $10 is manageable for a faster horse, and it is SO nice to be at 80% and not get stopped by every stray enemy in the way. ;)
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I played up to 6 toons for over a year before getting a faster mount, because of the cost. Now I don't know how I ever played without a 110%. Since they're account wide, the more characters you have the greater the value.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    I played up to 6 toons for over a year before getting a faster mount, because of the cost. Now I don't know how I ever played without a 110%. Since they're account wide, the more characters you have the greater the value.

But I only have one character and doubt I'll do more. esp. with big Tuesday 11/18 coming up next week....
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    yoadoadyoadoad Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Not a waste of money, just too spendy for it's worth. I did break down and buy the Golden at 33% off, as I also stated, $10 is manageable for a faster horse, and it is SO nice to be at 80% and not get stopped by every stray enemy in the way. ;)
    Well, at this point, you could try to keep playing the game for fun (your main activity will probably be daily quests of shrandar, dread ring and dragons, you decide if they're fun)
    if you intend to play competitively or at least to be on par with others on both PvP and PvE, I suggest that you open a paypal account and start supporting the game. It will otherwise take you months of boring stuff to be not useless on either PvP or PvE (With PvE it's less of a problem, but in PvP the gap is huge - getting to 15k gear score without paying takes a month or two, and 15k is considered low right now)
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yoadoad wrote: »
    Well, at this point, you could try to keep playing the game for fun (your main activity will probably be daily quests of shrandar, dread ring and dragons, you decide if they're fun)
    if you intend to play competitively or at least to be on par with others on both PvP and PvE, I suggest that you open a paypal account and start supporting the game. It will otherwise take you months of boring stuff to be not useless on either PvP or PvE (With PvE it's less of a problem, but in PvP the gap is huge - getting to 15k gear score without paying takes a month or two, and 15k is considered low right now)

On par with players for pvp maybe...With pve its easy, just make sure you actually know how to play your class, (don't fool yourself into thinking you know) and then regardless of gs you better in a group then 90% of the people who pve without even gearing up.
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Life after level 60? Is this question for players who already reached level 60 or the new players?

For players who already hit level 60, I think many of them don't really do anything except maybe for those who have million alts or those who only run bots. The million alt ones just log all their toons to do profession tasks and pray for AD. The million bot ones, well, you know what they do. There may be still a few kids running around hoping to get an artifact belt drop religiously but realistically the chance is they may not even get one in a year. There may still be a few pvp bigots who think it is fun to get their 22k teams always facing 8k random solo queuers thanks to the help of the match up system obvious designed by the developers to make sure low gear newbies mostly will be placed on the same punching bat team, and the bullies never drop in rank even their teams get defeated, thanks to the ridiculous kick features that they can ensured they will never lose rank if they lose.

For newbies, I hope they still have fun while it lasts because once when they are around level 25 to 30 and find they can't even enchant their first newbie artifact past the green quality due to the heavily manipulated prices of the blue marks, and if Cryptic goes forward with the BOP RP items system, no new causal players will stay since they know they will never be able to even work on *ONE* piece of artifact.

Don't worry though, PWE have many games and will always bring on new ones when the old ones pass away...
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    But I only have one character and doubt I'll do more.

Don't be too certain about that. :)

Getting a 110% mount is worth it. But I'd wait for sale on Stormrider Clydsdale (25% off) or Leopard of Chult (33% off). If those sales happen ( and they have in the past more than once), you can get them for 2000 Zen or less. I never paid more than $20 for an account-wide 110% Zen mount. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    healary wrote: »
    Life after level 60? Is this question for players who already reached level 60 or the new players?

For players who already hit level 60, I think many of them don't really do anything except maybe for those who have million alts or those who only run bots. The million alt ones just log all their toons to do profession tasks and pray for AD. The million bot ones, well, you know what they do. There may be still a few kids running around hoping to get an artifact belt drop religiously but realistically the chance is they may not even get one in a year. There may still be a few pvp bigots who think it is fun to get their 22k teams always facing 8k random solo queuers thanks to the help of the match up system obvious designed by the developers to make sure low gear newbies mostly will be placed on the same punching bat team, and the bullies never drop in rank even their teams get defeated, thanks to the ridiculous kick features that they can ensured they will never lose rank if they lose.

For newbies, I hope they still have fun while it lasts because once when they are around level 25 to 30 and find they can't even enchant their first newbie artifact past the green quality due to the heavily manipulated prices of the blue marks, and if Cryptic goes forward with the BOP RP items system, no new causal players will stay since they know they will never be able to even work on *ONE* piece of artifact.

Don't worry though, PWE have many games and will always bring on new ones when the old ones pass away...

Good post! Great insights on the PvP ego-maniacs and the lousy system for randoms. I tried my first 2 matches last night, and my random team got slaughtered both times, the other teams were clearly working together and had much practice. Plus, my level 60 isn't a booned-up, artifact-packed CW, just a 'low-level' 60. So matching a 60 vs a 60 means nothing at that point, they could be and usually are worlds apart.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Don't be too certain about that. :)

Getting a 110% mount is worth it. But I'd wait for sale on Stormrider Clydsdale (25% off) or Leopard of Chult (33% off). If those sales happen ( and they have in the past more than once), you can get them for 2000 Zen or less. I never paid more than $20 for an account-wide 110% Zen mount. :)

I already bought the golden 80%er, and he seems good enough. I get by almost all enemy groups now, so that's a main point.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    yoadoad wrote: »

My gear score is too low for some of them.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs