test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shorter Masquerade of Liars

two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The upcoming Masquerade of Liars on the calendar is shorter than last year's by two days.

Last year's ran from Tuesday, October 29th to Monday, November 4th, 2013.
This year's will run from Thursday, October 30th to Monday, November 3rd, 2014.

Notably, the Lore of Liars dailies are a five-day sequence. To complete the sequence, players will need to play Thursday night and Monday morning (or however it works out in their timezone).

There will also be less time to earn the event goodies.

Of course, the quest and reward structures may have changed. We won't know until it goes live.
Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    two30 wrote: »
    Of course, the quest and reward structures may have changed. We won't know until it goes live.

Repeat events do tend to have substantial changes to their implementation. While I understand the anti-botting measures of how they handled the first Masq, dang was it ever a painful grind to get just one companion. I sincerely hope they've made some tweaks.

Interesting point about the lore though.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's now live, and the structure seems unchanged.

The Wandering Scarecrow is effectively twice as much grinding as the Skeleton and there's less time to grind.

Don't forget to play Thursday night and Monday morning if you want all five Lore of Liars.
  • gcut123gcut123 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's live?? Hell yeah!

Don't give a **** about the event but a Night Time Protector's Enclave is always welcome in my book.
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    night is cool.
    event? last year it was joy and excitement.
    now i didn't even check the prizes.
    i don't know, man..sometimes i just don't want to move, it move it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's now live, and the structure seems unchanged.

The Wandering Scarecrow is effectively twice as much grinding as the Skeleton and there's less time to grind.

Ew seriously? so still no world drops from mobs like trick or treat bags or anything else? just boring dailies in Protectors enclave *sigh*
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited October 2014
    Don't forget to play Thursday night and Monday morning if you want all five Lore of Liars.

This is a good point. Most of my characters got them all last year, but I might be looking at getting up early Monday for the ones that are new.

The scarecrow in the event preview image looked really cool and creepy, but I can't see it being all that useful as a summoned pet and the bonus is nothing special.

But you can *buy* bags of charms. I still have dreadfully mixed feelings about the Zen store tie-ins for grind events. I think it's great to have the bypass option, but not when the top rewards would require putting in so many repetitious hours that getting the thing without just buying it with Zen is an exercise in despair and joint strain. (I got permanent cat masks for a large number of characters already last year, but the single skeleton on top of it almost killed me.)

Edit: Atmospherically, this event was outstanding and I will enjoy seeing it and being around it again, but I'm not sure how much I'll engage with it beyond chasing down the lore entries.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited October 2014
    Looks like all the masks are BoE instead of BoP this year.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Looks like all the masks are BoE instead of BoP this year.

because you can use zen to buy them, so boe = more zen
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
    edited October 2014
    Meh just ran the event for probably the only time this year , sick and tired of them monetizing events.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Meh just ran the event for probably the only time this year , sick and tired of them monetizing events.

i'll give this event a full 1/10

imagine dropping a liar's charm every minute, you need 1200 for the pet, 20 hours of pure, awesome, exciting farm. GG WP

PS. I've been waiting to get my mask of sharess for like 8 months, that's why i'm even more disappointed
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
    edited October 2014
    valencay wrote: »
    i'll give this event a full 1/10

imagine dropping a liar's charm every minute, you need 1200 for the pet, 20 hours of pure, awesome, exciting farm. GG WP

Well I might be completely wrong but judging by the couple of hours I have played since the server came back up the Charm drops seem to have some ICD and it seems to be significantly longer than a minute , I'm just glad the companion is pretty worthless active bonus wise.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    FYI, and in case anybody's interested - you canNOT buy the scarecrow directly using Masquerade tokens - you must buy each of the permanent masks for 200 each, then turn in those 6 masks for the companion. So, you'll need 1200 tokens, and at 125 Z per 100 tokens, it'll come to 1500Z for the Scarecrow.

I'm not sure why they went this route - just make it 1200 tokens and call it a day.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    FYI, and in case anybody's interested - you canNOT buy the scarecrow directly using Masquerade tokens - you must buy each of the permanent masks for 200 each, then turn in those 6 masks for the companion. So, you'll need 1200 tokens, and at 125 Z per 100 tokens, it'll come to 1500Z for the Scarecrow.

I'm not sure why they went this route - just make it 1200 tokens and call it a day.

The mask route would be cool if we had a chance to get the blue masks from something else. But after running this all day, I don't think that is the case.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The grind for a companion is too much. I'll skip the event this year and advise others to do the same.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I can't see getting (much less running all over town to trade in the charms one-by-one)
    1,200 drops in time, with the fewer days. Was possible last time. Plus I kinda wanted
    to keep a mask or two, but now I'd have to trade them in.

Will prolly try til I get sick on the grind. No way my fingers will last long enough tho.
    Maybe they could've started the event on Tuesday.

The festival itself has nice atmospherics, I must say.

OH! How did people put Scarecrows on the AH already?
    I want to know the technique!!!
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can buy the six masks with zen then trade them in for the scarecrow.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Since the 6 masks are BoE, you can split the work across characters, instead of having to grind 1200 BoP tokens on a single character. It's still a huge grind, but the mask route is a slight QoL improvement.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is what I said about this event last year:
    runebane wrote: »
    Kind of mixed about this event. Everything looks great. And the theme is awesome. But the grinding... not so much. Grinding the charms, to trade for the tokens, to buy a prize is a pain in the rear. Tack on to that the fact that the rewards cost tons of tokens. There has to be a better way to do this. Hoping they improve on it for next year.

I wanted the skeleton. Got to 200 tokens before I gave up. Just bought the skeleton off the AH instead. And used my tokens on a mask. I play a lot of grindy games, so I can't help but think if -I- got sick of the grind, its pretty bad. Maybe its just too soon after the purse grind for me.

The only thing that changed is now we have less time to do it and a prize that cost even more tokens. I actually fell asleep at the keyboard running around PE doing this. I think I'm going to go back to running my dailies.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The masks and scarecrow are BOE right? It's a lot easier with 6 characters doing the dailies each day with a bit of grinding (while clearing dailies) on each to get 1 scarecrow for the event.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    The masks and scarecrow are BOE right? It's a lot easier with 6 characters doing the dailies each day with a bit of grinding (while clearing dailies) on each to get 1 scarecrow for the event.

Yea, you get about 20 to 30 marks if you do all the dailies. Over 4 days, you are halfway to a permanent mask just by dailies alone. Its still a rough grind, but it is actually slightly better if you have several alts.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have no Alts. Tried mass killing to get tokens, with very little competition for them...
    got maybe 40-45 in an hour. Way too slow. Running insane circles in the city I guess
    makes more sense (if anything about this makes any sense).

I prefer to earn prizes rather than buy them. Dunno what I'll end up doing this year.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Coming off of the unique awesomeness of the Summer event...expectations were high for the Liar's one...last year that is.

This year has not really changed anything and it's disappointing.

Is there a particular reason that this event, or most events, do not follow the Summer event's formula? (The winter one did redeemed my desire to participate in an event last year.) I know not every event can appeal to casual, hardcore, and farmer type of players, but is there a reason they couldn't have done something different or improved this year's Halloween event.

A halloween version of Respen's event would have been 10 times a better improvement then what was and is the current Liar's event.

Thank you for reading my rant of disappointment.

Disclaimer: I am well aware no changes will be made due to posts expressing disappointment and desires for change. I think that the game is for the most part good and will continue to play. Just helps to write down things sometimes.
  • luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    OH! How did people put Scarecrows on the AH already?
    I want to know the technique!!!

The technique is called "Zen-Store".
    edited October 2014

The only thing I can really think of is that the masks are BoE, which means you can get them across several characters and pool them for a single scarecrow. The daily rewards on each would get you halfway to a mask, more than that if your schedule allows squeezing in all five days.

Neverwinter Census 2017