test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockbox Trade not happen?

blightreaversblightreavers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I been following Twitter and in game admin messages. There were none on Thursday and Friday?

Was it cancelled?
Post edited by blightreavers on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    The lockbox trading occurred and was announced on twitter?
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    It did happen and it was on twitter
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not that this particular event matters to me, since I don't care too much for lockboxes, but not all of us use twitter you know. Do we have to make accounts on all social networking websites to keep up to date with what's going on in Neverwinter?
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • zankardzankard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »
    Not that this particular event matters to me, since I don't care too much for lockboxes, but not all of us use twitter you know. Do we have to make accounts on all social networking websites to keep up to date with what's going on in Neverwinter?

This is actually a very valid point. It's becoming increasingly stupid for everything to rely on couple of networking sites. We have our forums here, why would we need twitter? At least my internet company isn't sending me the bills on facebook.... Hilarious.
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The lockbox trading occurred and was announced on twitter?
    akromatik wrote: »

Are you kidding me? You think everyone is monitoring twitter? Why didn't you make a forum announcement, and an Admin announcement in game? Yo have to use different types of communication lines to get the word out to as many players as possible. You really botched this one up. OMG :rolleyes:
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Are you kidding me? You think everyone is monitoring twitter? Why didn't you make a forum announcement, and an Admin announcement in game? Yo have to use different types of communication lines to get the word out to as many players as possible. You really botched this one up. OMG :rolleyes:

That's the whole point of this promotion and the other Season of Dragons challenges: Cryptic ( or PWE) are trying to promote the use of social networking.

Whether Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. will actually bring in more players or not, I don't know -- but it's clear Marketing hopes so.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »

You don't need a twitter account in this case. Think of their twitter handle as a dev tracker in this forum. Anyone can see it.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Agreed. Gonna need to make 20 accounts on 20 different things 10 years down the road. Then they can data mine all my preferences so Ill get ads about ninjas and ferraris.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You don't need a twitter account in this case. Think of their twitter handle as a dev tracker in this forum. Anyone can see it.
    No, you don't need an actual account, but that's not the point. Why would I be checking Twitter for if I don't have an account? I don't want to have to go on 3 different social networks just to keep track of the of the game. They can bombard me with tens of messages in game about how some guy I don't know, nor care about, has won some god-knows-what prize from a lockbox, but they can't send a server-wide message about this event?
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
    edited October 2014
    It's as simple as that. You can't use a THIRD PARTY network for your MAIN means of communication with your community, when you already HAVE your OWN and perfectly working way of doing this, via your own forums. What if someone doesn't know twitter or how to use it? What if twitter servers go offline? Are PWE employees going to help twitter with the outage? Are we going to be informed about the next patch from within a facebook post? What if twitter suddenly becomes unpopular and the next big thing is site A? We're gonna move to site A? There are no valid points to make to defend this practice, it's plainly wrong and absurd.
  • tearsoffeartearsoffear Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zankard wrote: »
    It's as simple as that. You can't use a THIRD PARTY network for your MAIN means of communication with your community, when you already HAVE your OWN and perfectly working way of doing this, via your own forums. What if someone doesn't know twitter or how to use it? What if twitter servers go offline? Are PWE employees going to help twitter with the outage? Are we going to be informed about the next patch from within a Facebook post? What if twitter suddenly becomes unpopular and the next big thing is site A? We're gonna move to site A? There are no valid points to make to defend this practice, it's plainly wrong and absurd.
    Communication via forum works, so they extend their range by using other means.
    You can expect Facebook stuff as well, same as Instagram and stuff. Web 2.0
    If Twitter becomes unpopular they will without remorse jump on the next popular thing that has a chance to spread their word.
    This practice might be, in your opinion, wrong and absurd. From a communication side they are working as can be expected from a multimillion dollar company. A "newsletter" mentioning "number of twitter followers has doubled in the last 2 months" might increase the share value by xx%.

Remember, you can quit this game any day if you do not like their way of communication. You have no obligation to stay connected to PWE in any way.
    edited October 2014
    Communication via forum works, so they extend their range by using other means.
    <snip>
    Remember, you can quit this game any day if you do not like their way of communication. You have no obligation to stay connected to PWE in any way.

First off, if every reply to any complaints is going to be "you are free to quit any day" we would be alone playing this game. Negative feedback is still given because I want to improve this game for me and everyone else. Otherwise I would not bother writing at the forums either. So basically, you are free to quit the game too, but I don't see how this is relevant to anything.

Secondly, they are not EXTENDING anything. They solely used twitter for a game related announcement. That is BAD practice and should be avoided in the future, period. What you said would be valid if they posted it in both the forums and wherever else they want. So before you resort to the "quit the game" nonsense, please re-think your post.
  • yawulfyawulf Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    forums r not the only official mouth piece of the company and neverwinter they have other avenues which r part of their communication set up including twitter ,facebook, twitch, instagram etc and can choose to run promos using any of them no one is forcing u to sign up to twitter or facebook for promo annoucements. This event is similar to their stream where they give out packs and other presents as a reward for following it simple as that
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Nobody hates social media more than me.

That being said you might as well stop the complaints. I ranted and raved to three different game companies about the same thing eight years ago... This is the future unfortunately. It is standard practice amongst all MMOs right now...

Your complaints like mine won't be heeded. There is too much to benefit from social media for game companies to ignore it and in order to get people to care about their social media sites they need to give exclusives.

However all of that is very much a tangent. The original poster, if you failed to read, specifically checked twitter and thought there were no announcements.. Akromatik and I simply directed him to the relevant information he needed.
    edited October 2014
    Well nobody said they should ignore social media, it makes sense to use them to reach more customers. The problem is, when they explicitly post something there and not on their own official website, then give replies like "well duh! we posted it...". I'll say it again, BAD practice, should be avoided in the future no matter what. It's one thing posting something on whatever other website/network you like, but it's a whole other thing to purposefully ignore your main means of communication with your players. The "well duh!" post took the same effort it would originally take to actually post the darn thing here in the forums.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    akromatik wrote: »

Akro,

That's pretty poor. If your strategy is to announce stuff only via random third-party social media, while people using your own forums and in your own game don't see a sausage, then you have failed to communicate. Please take the time to announce things via the "official" channels too, if not first.

Not everyone wants to monitor N+1 social media outlets. It's entirely reasonable to expect announcements about to the game to be available to players via the forums, and possibly in-game messages too. This doesn't mean that you can't splatter stuff all over Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Ello or goodness knows what else. However, it does mean don't only announce it there. Ever.
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    If your strategy is to announce stuff only via random third-party social media, while people using your own forums and in your own game don't see a sausage, then you have failed to communicate. Please take the time to announce things via the "official" channels too, if not first.

Not everyone wants to monitor N+1 social media outlets. It's entirely reasonable to expect announcements about to the game to be available to players via the forums, and possibly in-game messages too. This doesn't mean that you can't splatter stuff all over Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Ello or goodness knows what else. However, it does mean don't only announce it there. Ever.

Right to the point, thank you for saying it better than me.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    From the news post about the event
    During the next few days the community team will periodically send out in-game broadcasts and messages on Twitter detailing their location in-game.

I wasn't in-game, so I don't know about that. But they specifically said to watch Twitter for the info.

You don't need a Twitter account to view Neverwinter's feed as a webpage, and unlike the forum it automatically updates and you don't need to go digging for dev posts. I often have it open in a browser tab for keeping track of stuff, even though I have no account.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Good Day Everyone,

I would like everyone to know that I had nothing to trade but I was looking for the announcement myself, I believe I read in the original advert that there would be in game announcements as well, and I thought they said this due to the fact that they were probably aware that some people wouldn't be using or want to use other social media to get an announcement for a game that they were already in playing.

And if they did show an Admin announcement in game I guess I could have missed it as well as others, but I have to say I usually see quit a few lock box winners for mounts and such, and I see the spam quick enough in chat to mark it as such. ( maybe you should find a way to forward all the spam to other social media, that way I don't have to waste time, marking it so I don't have to look at it )

Was it required that you have to see the Admin announcement while standing in P.E., not unlike standing there doing nothing if you want to look for a LFG.

Again, I didn't have anything to trade anyways, Just voicing an opinion for the little guys and gals.

P. S. I have lots of boxes but never opened any, be nice to be fighting once in awhile and have a surprise lockbox key drop.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    If your strategy is to announce stuff only via random third-party social media, while people using your own forums and in your own game don't see a sausage, then you have failed to communicate. Please take the time to announce things via the "official" channels too, if not first.
    Thats the point. I expect they get lots of people following them if the only reliable way is to follow them on twitter.
    That is the intention of choosing one channel for communication.
    It is not customer friendly, but it increases their count on web 2.0 technology. WAI - though I don't like it. And I am free to leave, though I decide to stay. For the moment.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    edited October 2014
    I don't think things could have been explained any simpler.

Please READ the article.
    How does the event work?

Follow Neverwinter on Twitter and keep an eye out for announcements as to when the community team will be in-game.

Failure to read is not the fault of the company.

The in game broadcasts was Zone Chat. Could that have been explained better? Possibly...
    ...but if 5% of the people reading that didn't know it was Zone chat I would be surprised. And Zone Chat is, of course, limited. If you were doing a delve or something you would not have known.

Hence why they suggested twitter right up front and left the in game broadcasts as the little side note hardly to be acknowledged.

And again, read post 20. Twitter and Facebook will be getting a fair share of exclusive announcements no matter what MMO you play. Where have you guys been for the last ten years? They need it for the marketing shenanigans...if they didn't have exclusives nobody would use the social media hullaballoo. Get used to it.

Again, I hate social media more than any of you. I often said if I could I would destroy the Facebook servers. I detest social media more than basically anything else in the world, but for now it's here and if you guys haven't realized yet social media has NOTHING to do with keeping in touch with people and everything to do with free advertising for companies, movies, musicians...etc.

Be glad they don't make you use Facebook to learn about game updates because I promise every MMO would greatly benefit from requiring the use of the social media sites in order to get updates. Seriously it's not worth your breath. It's like telling them not to pick up free money. You would have a better shot at digging to the center of the earth with a plastic spoon than making a game website have all the information like in years past. Those days are GONE. Been gone for a decade and they are not coming back...
    edited October 2014
    Fair points, ambisinisterr, but to force someone follow them on a third party website just to raise artificial numbers doesn't justify the means to me. I know for one, even if I ever get used to following twitter for Neverwinter, I'm never making an account thus never adding that +1 to their followers. I just think going exclusive on someone else's website for your own stuff is rather silly, though I do get where you're coming from with your arguments. But getting few more artificial followers on some random known website - because making it exclusive could get them some - isn't real figures for a company to base their moves on. Just my 5c anyway.

Also to reply to a poster above, as a former web developer you don't know how annoying it is when people to call every random dude's website (yeah, facebook, twitter, etc) "web 2.0 technology". Nope, you could call this the "new internet order" but web 2.0 has nothing to do with spamming 2 or 3 well known websites everywhere.

Anyway I think I've already said too much, just hoping next time they might tweak their tactics a little bit. Cu in game.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Again... you don't need to FOLLOW Neverwinter on Twitter or Facebook. Their accounts are public and viewable by anyone even if you don't have your own account.

You can't "like" them on Facebook or do that sort of thing that you might need to do for some free goodies, but you can read their announcements just fine as a lookie-loo.

Having Twitter open in a browser tab to Neverwinter's account, the feed updates all by itself and all you'd need to do is peek at it if you're expecting something imminent. I think it's way easier than coming to the forums when it comes to a drive-by announcement of "hey, thing is happening right now".
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia