test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll, the need vs Greed debate

styley177styley177 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Since alot of people seem to get hot under the collar about people needing on gear and ninja's / fairness etc, why not just remove that aspect from the game.

Remove greed altogether.

Just have Need (for whatever your own reasons for wanting that bit of kit, ie you actually want to use it, or you need the AD it will generate)

And Pass (if you dont want it)

This way all will get a fair 1/5 or better chance at all drops
Post edited by styley177 on

Comments

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No.

Keep it like it is, but make Need bind the item on pickup. Doesn't solve the problem since you can still salvage if it's an epic item, but it at least forces people to consider whether they really need the item, since Needing it forces them to use it or sell it for it's MSRP value in gold or salvage value.

btw, this is a redundant thread, probably should be combined with the existing long one that's active currently.
  • setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Leave the game alone. Communication is key in any dungeon run. Learn how to cooperate or play alone.
    23uvq8m.png
  • gothashotgothashot Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I prefer Round Robin. Keeps all the annoying Need/Greed/Pass & Roll Results mess off my screen, and other people can pick up all the greens they want. Also, assures an equal shot at the epic lootstuffs.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    kvet wrote: »
    No.

Keep it like it is, but make Need bind the item on pickup. Doesn't solve the problem since you can still salvage if it's an epic item, but it at least forces people to consider whether they really need the item, since Needing it forces them to use it or sell it for it's MSRP value in gold or salvage value.

btw, this is a redundant thread, probably should be combined with the existing long one that's active currently.

How about make the needed item BOP and unsalvageable
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's no need to change anything. Let people solve such issues by themselves, the tools for it exist.
  • raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I agree wholeheartedly. Most runs I do are all greed - greed on everything, unless it's friends or guild then it's greed everything but need on anything you really need. The system is fine as it is.
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
    edited October 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    There's no need to change anything. Let people solve such issues by themselves, the tools for it exist.

Well there is some need to change the system as it is causing a lot of problems within parties.

We just don't see post after post after post of it because a lot of the hardcore players have quit the useless and unrewarding PVE aspect of the game
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only thing I wish they'd change (feature added) is a preference to set "Auto-Greed" (or "Auto Pass") so I don't have to keep manually dismissing that stupid pop-up in the middle of combat. I personally couldn't care any less about those drops during a skirmish/HE, etc.
  • mc2messiahmc2messiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    somebody was proposing need=BOP and greed=BOE. Seems like an alternative.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well there is some need to change the system as it is causing a lot of problems within parties.

We just don't see post after post after post of it because a lot of the hardcore players have quit the useless and unrewarding PVE aspect of the game

hardcore players quit pve because they have all the items they need.
    the games just not enjoyable when you are at top lvl everything.
    come on now how many times can you read the same book and enjoy it? (think of church)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I would like:

Auto greed (PLEASE).

Roll on items that are BoE (take away the need option entirely).

EXCEPTION: If the item is BoP, then, and only then, could someone NEED on it.

Reminds me of yesterday.... solo Karrundax on CW, get a BOP hardened dragon scale armor for GWF, already have 1.2M RAD. GG.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

You know what's the problem? Creating scarcity with maddening RNG instead of difficulty. Players fighting each-other over scarce resources the devs are consciously adding to the cash-shop only. Compare the ratio of blue/green belts on the AH. Take a look at the pets you can earn in-game and compare them to what's in the zen store. Do you see any sense of balance? I don't. That's why people are kicking eachother; it's not the loot system it's the game putting way too much pressure over making ADs to keep up with the crazy amount of power added to the cash shop every month.

Look at module 4: Two brand new kind of artifact gear, costing millions in ADs each to upgrade, a new pet in a zen store pack that's better than most of the previous pets, and we're supposed to do that within 3 months before the next update because the next update will be as power-creep heavy as this one? The underlying issue is just that, too much power creep every module, not enough time to work on our own upgrades, good stuff hidden behind stupidly easy content with horribly low drop rates, and way way too much stuff being cash shop only.

It's an unhealthy atmosphere? Yes sir, it is! But blame the devs, not the players.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Absolutely not.

This system screws over people who actually need things, who are trying to gear up their characters. If we remove the ability to need on a piece someone actually needs, this benefits only the people who are running for greed purposes. And that is incredibly unfair.

However, I will echo the sentiments that 'need'ing on something should immediately bind it to your character. Not your account, your character. No needing on things saying "I need it for my alt" or "I need it for the AD." Perhaps there could be something that checks the gear score of your current piece to the one being rolled on and determines if you actually need it or not.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    styley177 wrote: »
    Since alot of people seem to get hot under the collar about people needing on gear and ninja's / fairness etc, why not just remove that aspect from the game.

Remove greed altogether.

Just have Need (for whatever your own reasons for wanting that bit of kit, ie you actually want to use it, or you need the AD it will generate)

This is a lot more complicated than you are presenting this.

The Roll system does need to be changed, BUT they need to at least add a greed run option.

You can't remove GREED altogether as there are BoP items that are class specific. They need to add a GREED run preferably with an option (or make it mandatory) that allows someone to roll NEED if the item is BoP.

Sorry but no one needs more RAD from a salvaged rare BoP items. Those items which can't be sold should be given priority to the classes that can actually use it.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Absolutely not.

This system screws over people who actually need things, who are trying to gear up their characters. If we remove the ability to need on a piece someone actually needs, this benefits only the people who are running for greed purposes. And that is incredibly unfair.

However, I will echo the sentiments that 'need'ing on something should immediately bind it to your character. Not your account, your character. No needing on things saying "I need it for my alt" or "I need it for the AD." Perhaps there could be something that checks the gear score of your current piece to the one being rolled on and determines if you actually need it or not.

That is no good either. Why on earth would anyone want to run dungeons they don't need if any piece of loot that dropped there became bound as soon as it was picked up.
    edited October 2014
    Absolutely not.

How is it unfair? Everyone did their job on the dungeon. Everyone gets a 20% chance of winning.

Why should some players lower their chances of getting a loot for some stranger PUG who they probably will not see ever again?

If this is a guild run, then they can say through voice comm to voluntarily pass on certain items
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    styley177 wrote: »

Remove greed altogether.

Yesyesyes!
    Bonus points for an auto roll setting . Say "Pass on all green equipment" or a check box you can select...
    select "Need" box on Rare + Enchants/RP + Potions + Professions.
    select "Pass" box on green equip...
    So we dont have to shift+1 or shift+2 every item.

The other long thread should be merged wit this one , or add the poll to the other thread.
    Would be a good opportunity to get the community's opinion while there are so many active in forums during server downtime.
  • bloodyhell69bloodyhell69 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly i'd have to say the constant loot in my window is annoying as all hell. if pple actually want green items fin let them get them, but as I seen on here a lil bit ago. "make a check box to (pass on green items) or the like". or even make it so you can set your own personal loot threshold for the rarity and type of loot picked up. say someone loots a piece of ranger gear that's uncommon, I can select before hand that only gears for my class have a roll come up. cause lets face it constantly having someone loot things while the rest of the group is busy fighting makes me wanna throw my computer at said person.... Does the loot system need "changed" not really, just an update to personal loot tables.
    edited October 2014
    How is it unfair? Everyone did their job on the dungeon. Everyone gets a 20% chance of winning.

Why should some players lower their chances of getting a loot for some stranger PUG who they probably will not see ever again?

If this is a guild run, then they can say through voice comm to voluntarily pass on certain items

Maybe I'm just less of a jerk to people I don't know than most of the people playing this game. This, to me, is a very selfish viewpoint. And it forces people to have to join a guild if they actually want a chance to gear up in a timely manner, and the PUG queues take forever in the first place. Yeah, you get a 20% chance of winning - on something you need that maybe has a 10% chance of dropping in the first place. Or you get a 20% chance of winning something you can't even use and are just going to sell, taking it away from someone who actually needed it. That is the essence of greed in my book.

If you don't want to share with people you don't know? Don't PUG. They could implement an all-greed mode for people who agreed to it in advance. That'd be a much better option in my opinion.
  • cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited October 2014
    Honestly i'd have to say the constant loot in my window is annoying as all hell. if pple actually want green items fin let them get them, but as I seen on here a lil bit ago. "make a check box to (pass on green items) or the like". or even make it so you can set your own personal loot threshold for the rarity and type of loot picked up. say someone loots a piece of ranger gear that's uncommon, I can select before hand that only gears for my class have a roll come up. cause lets face it constantly having someone loot things while the rest of the group is busy fighting makes me wanna throw my computer at said person.... Does the loot system need "changed" not really, just an update to personal loot tables.

Oh come now, you don't *really* need to see all those baddies you're trying to kill before they kill you, do you?
    "Must loot all the things...you guys keep on fighting." >.<
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe I'm just less of a jerk to people I don't know than most of the people playing this game. This, to me, is a very selfish viewpoint. And it forces people to have to join a guild if they actually want a chance to gear up in a timely manner, and the PUG queues take forever in the first place. Yeah, you get a 20% chance of winning - on something you need that maybe has a 10% chance of dropping in the first place. Or you get a 20% chance of winning something you can't even use and are just going to sell, taking it away from someone who actually needed it. That is the essence of greed in my book.

If you don't want to share with people you don't know? Don't PUG. They could implement an all-greed mode for people who agreed to it in advance. That'd be a much better option in my opinion.

This overlooks that you have a reasonable chance of getting the BOP item from THE CHEST AT THE END OF THE DUNGEON.

Even if i needed an item for an upgrade and it dropped and it was BOE, i'd sell it?

Why?

It's harder to get AD than it is to get gear! That's why.

Are you forced to join a guild or join legit channel or something, yes, probably, but it's an MMO man, people will naturally group up and join guilds. If you don't want to play in a group and play for yourself, go uninstall neverwinter and play something else. This is the nature of an MMO.
  • lordshitpostlordshitpost Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only thing I wish they'd change (feature added) is a preference to set "Auto-Greed" (or "Auto Pass") so I don't have to keep manually dismissing that stupid pop-up in the middle of combat. I personally couldn't care any less about those drops during a skirmish/HE, etc.
    I'd like to see an auto-greed mode decided by the party leader at the beginning of the dungeon. This would be permanent for this very run and not changeable until the next run. The leader could also tick "All greed, boss drop need"/Splitrun in case a premade group wants to do a CN-split.
    edited October 2014
    Maybe I'm just less of a jerk to people I don't know than most of the people playing this game.

Of all the illogical comments in this thread, describing people who run dungeons to have an equal chance at the end loot as "jerk" tops them all. Congrats!
    And it forces people to have to join a guild if they actually want a chance to gear up in a timely manner, and the PUG queues take forever in the first place..

God forbid they provide a little incentive to join guilds. This is an MMO.
    Yeah, you get a 20% chance of winning - on something you need that maybe has a 10% chance of dropping in the first place. Or you get a 20% chance of winning something you can't even use and are just going to sell, taking it away from someone who actually needed it. That is the essence of greed in my book.

Wake up. A party consists of 5 people. A PUG dungeon is not run merely for the undergeared person in the party. A PUG dungeon run is to BENEFIT ALL FIVE MEMBERS. Stop being narrow-minded and greedy in the perspective of that single player. For you to suggest that one player takes precedence over all other party members is baffling. Now, THAT is the essence of greed.
    edited October 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    This overlooks that you have a reasonable chance of getting the BOP item from THE CHEST AT THE END OF THE DUNGEON.

Even if i needed an item for an upgrade and it dropped and it was BOE, i'd sell it?

Why?

It's harder to get AD than it is to get gear! That's why.

Haha! Not true in the slightest. If it was hard to get AD, there wouldn't be a million zen's worth sitting around in the exchange. You can grind leadership and hit the RAD cap every day if you keep on top of it. If someone needs on something that's BoE to sell it? They're being a jerk.
    Are you forced to join a guild or join legit channel or something, yes, probably, but it's an MMO man, people will naturally group up and join guilds. If you don't want to play in a group and play for yourself, go uninstall neverwinter and play something else. This is the nature of an MMO.

I'm social. I do play with others. I've made friends. Just because I don't necessarily WANT to join a guild doesn't mean I'm not a 'real' player of this game. Honestly, because I'm more willing to share with people I've never met before I ran that dungeon when I don't actually NEED something, I'd argue I'm playing to the nature of the MMO more than someone whose attitude is "why should I carry this guy I don't know and not get extra loot for my trouble".

Edit to add:
    Of all the illogical comments in this thread, describing people who run dungeons to have an equal chance at the end loot as "jerk" tops them all. Congrats!

Actually, I was implying that running PUGs and not wanting to let someone who actually needs something you can't even use have it because you want to sell it is being a jerk. I still stand by that. Wanting to run dungeons with people who agree you're all getting an equal chance at whatever drops whether you can use it or not? Totally different.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kvet wrote: »
    No.

As someone who has multiple alts. I think this is a bad way to go. What if you dont need it on that character?

To me the sole answer to this problem is communication. Each individual group needs to decide how to best go about things. Each group is going to choose a different path. Only with a lack of communication does problems like this pop up. Granted, there are always going to be a$$hats in game (human nature and all that) but take 5 seconds and as a group make
    up some ground rules on each and every pick up team you join. Every person in game is responsible for the problems that this game has, not just the people who need on everything.

STO works on a full NEED basis and that game is running better then most Cryptic games. CO has a much more Diplomatic system where people actually talk to each other before they do anything. OF course a great percentage of those people playing CO now came from City of Heroes. Mad props. Best community for a mmo ever. Neverwinter can be like that if people are willing to take 5 **** seconds and talk to each other.

THe fault lies in the playerbase, in YOU. Not in the system.
  • ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I voted yes for various reasons, most have been pointed out already in this thread or in the other big one. The current situation is difficult, because many players get kicked from parties for needing, and in some cases the kicked player (inexperienced/language-barrier) doesn't even know why. That is how things are at this moment and have been for about a year, like it or not. Cryptic seems to be ok with this since they don't seem to do anything about it, they might change their mind though, because this and the other thread have gotten quite large.

If they favor the playerbase that likes to roll 'need' I predict that there will be even more tension than now, and possibly a split among the playerbase.

What I would like to see is to either remove the 'need' button completely (as the OP basically suggested), but I have a better idea:

There should be an option for the party leader to grey out the 'need' button for everyone for that dungeon run, and by default it should be not greyed out unless the party leader takes action. Enableing this option should be only possible for the party leader during the first 45 seconds of the dungeon run, and every partymember should be able to tell at any time wether this option is on or off. That way, we will have no more ninjaing, no more kicking of inexperienced players, and the possibility to roll need if the party wishes to allow it. I see only two minor flaws in this: 1. party wants to grey out need-button, but partyleader forgets to do it, and everyone else forgets to check it. 2. if you use the autoqueue, and the partyleader decides to grey out/not grey out against your preference, you have to leave the party if you are not ok with it.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes with one condition, I think everyone should auto-roll regardless if they want it or not so we don't get the popup, you can trade or sell it later if you really don't want it.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's already been some great need/greed solutions that cryptic has ignored. The option for auto greed runs has come up before. And the option to make need rolls bop.

Greed before need is a very unfair concept in this game. Look at GWF or CW armor. You need 400k to afford the boots. Therefore any other class can greed those boots, win, sell them, buy their classes boots and have left over cash. Where as the GWF and CW need to win multiple sets of other classes boots to save up enough for their own.

So basically, any class that isn't on the favored only needs 1 item from the favored classes to get 2 or 3 of their own. Where as the favored list needs to get 2 or 3 of the other classes items to get 1 of their own. potentially 3 times as many runs to gear up a favored class.

Just give us the **** option to choose need runs or greed runs before we launch the dungeon.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just abandon the system completely and have the game award drops personally. No rolling, no loot windows, no confusion, no one can see what you get, no jealousy, no problems. The game already assigns loot only you can see and pick up in the CTA skirmishes. Lets just do it for everything. So we can FINALLY stop trying to fix this broken, archaic, loot system.