test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The GS gap is too high.

onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
The only problem with high GS is a lack of challenging content making full use of it.
Post edited by onecoolscatcat on

Comments

• djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Pretty soon, you'll be able to enter Castle Never naked, only with boons.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    But then what incentive would there be for people to drop hundreds of real world dollars on a PvP character? Geez, think of Cryptic's families here!
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Naked PvP.. not gonna happen. It's been suggested before and done away with as "not being the Neverwinter way". But that's only the cowards talking of course. Personally, I'd welcome such a mode.

Actually it's not cowards, I mean yes some people like to hide behind their gear, and yes some people think that with a high GS no one can knock them off their pedestal..... But naked PvP not only throws away all that we earned to be able to compete in the game before the gear was totally trashed, but it also ruins the thought of diversity. Part of having diversity in game is not only just the way you choose your feats but also the way you gear up. Like how I can wear my draconic set when I'm feeling the need to burst down a cleric or another HR, or I can use my purified set when I'm feeling the need to be able to sustain my life against a CW or the new troll GFs, I can even mix them if I want to go 1/2 and 1/2. So you need to understand that not wanting naked PvP is not always because they're cowards.
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Blues-only restrictions: Nothing above Rank 5, Weapon or Armor Enchantments, or Artifact Gear.

Blue lv.60 gear has the most diverse gear itemization in this game and would be a true test of mini-maxers and niche builds.

And it already puts you in the 12k-13k range.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Overgearing... 21k in less than 9 months? Your own mistake. You should have known better, or at least played the game so you would have realized that getting 21k is totally uncalled for.

so its his fault for playing the game, investing time and money in it ?

Devs SHOULD make content that is challenging to players not players should hold back on gear that is available because the content is challenged
    Paladin Master Race
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    you are free ... and see the work that is not getting the last two boons. I gave up. who did not give up, deserve to have their efforts rewarded.

the problem is the lack of "legendary dungeons" and all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

but just to know: YOUR character is the gs paradigm. to beat you i will need spend money on this game... so... stop to be a this paradigm and see if the devs will not do what is needed.
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hardly. Actually, I still prefer being 13-14k if that's alright with you. Call it pathetic if you wish, at least I have some challenges and some fun left, thank you very much.

Overgearing... 21k in less than 9 months? Your own mistake. You should have known better, or at least played the game so you would have realized that getting 21k is totally uncalled for.
    but I'm not gonna see my hard-earned power drop because someone else insisted on ruining his own game in 9 months with the aid of a credit card.

What are you on about on here?
    Are you suggesting he doesnt improve his gear and stats as much as he sees fit?

Or maybe you just wanted to insult the guy for no apparent reason? ("but I'm not gonna see my hard-earned power drop because someone else insisted on ruining his own game in 9 months with the aid of a credit card.")

Was that even a necessary comments? just because someone hits 21k gs in 9 months doesnt mean they are p2winners, you never know how lucky they are, or how much time they spend playing everyday. Even if he paid for his stats with a credit card, it is off no concern to you. it not your wallet, im suprise someone as you who often speaks about beliefs and morality doesnt already know this, and would go on ahead and make childish comments like this.

Also incase you didnt realize, Us the players shouldnt hold back on gear/stats just so we can actaully match content, it the Devs job to make the content match our gs, how is Topic Creator the bad guy here?
  • rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i would welcome a naked pvp mode with open arms

believe me, i'm a fan of pvp progression

but, the gs gap is too high for any kind of reasonable progression

either spend months and months of getting roflstomped

or, spend a couple hundred $$ to immediately roflstomp

i love pvp because of the amazing combat system, it's much more fun and skill based than tab-targetting

but my goodness, the gear score difference is disgusting

for pvp, it WOULDN'T be so bad, if it didn't exist......but, more importantly, if it was handled better, like, for example, never pit a bunch of 20ks vs a bunch of 13ks

for pve, i think it's fine, since they probably never plan on adding more character levels, this is a way of progression without that...so boons are fine, bumping up GS is fine....but, i think they should eventually allow for the dungeons to "catch up" and add a higher GS difficulty to the already existing dungeons (along with adding new ones)
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The real problem IMO is that most people consider that 20k+ GS means you are overpowered when the true is that a good portion of that player base have inflated their gearscore trying to reach some kind of elite level, even the most idiotic player with 20k+ can go through any dungeon and finish it very quickly but that doesn't mean he's good, that only means that you just had success where you have supposed to have it, it doesn't tell anything about your skills as player or anything else. Just inspect some players in PE, they have a very high GS but using 2/2 pieces set bonus, 4 active companion bonuses with stats, enchantments like cruel/savage/brutal, etc, accesories with set bonus like hrimnir or the new one, these players have zero knowledge about the game mechanics (except very specific cases). We have very good boons that doesn't boost our GS but are much more useful that extra stats, something that we don't really need now.

I've always said that the Gear Score should be removed of the game, there would be a lot more of better players because they would be focused in looking for whatever helps their character to be better instead of showing off a number that only means something to the new players who unfortunately still doesn't know anything. GS should be like a hidden data for the players, it would work only when we want to join some skirmish, dungeon, w/e based in brackets so if we queue up for something, we would be in party with players with gear similar to ours.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Naked pvp works extremely well in many games but only if the devs are thriving to get a balanced game. They aren't. All they care about is pvp driving sales and since they sell so much power in the cash shop, and given what the pvp community is, it won't happen. It's sad but it is what it is.

I have to agree with you on one point: they must stop this power creep madness. That's way, way too much power creep per module given the fact that they produce new content at snail pace and don't want to scale challenges accordingly. They could very well make a module with convenience boons like extra gold gains, a small (500) extra AD cap refinment and stuff like that. It would work extremely well and would give us a break for one module. :)
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's completele irrelevant if they should or shouldn't. The only thing that matters are the facts: They aren't doing it. One glance at the GS requirements for PvE will tell you so. If you decide to spend money (or effort, doesn't really matter) to get to 21K despite you knowing better, then yes. It's your own fault for having no challenging content. Cryptic didn't put a gun to your head demanding you go over the content's requirement, it was free will that did it. It's nothing personal. I'm merely stating a fact.

That said, they shouldn't make harder content. They should never have allowed any enchantment above R7 since the start of the game. But the road to riches is paved with... intentions.

You're delusional!
  • kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Naked PvP would be awesome but I bet half the hardo PvPers wouldn't queue for it.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    If you want naked PVP, go play a Moba or an FPS or one of those hybrid action games.

This is an MMORPG and gear will always be a factor
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you want naked PVP, go play a Moba or an FPS or one of those hybrid action games.

This is an MMORPG and gear will always be a factor

addition of "naked" all-blue pvp would be nice, the "main" should still be default pvp, but it would make a nice challenge mode + would allow devs to gain info about balance in low-medium gear tier games
    Paladin Master Race
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The real problem IMO is that most people consider that 20k+ GS means you are overpowered when the true is that a good portion of that player base have inflated their gearscore trying to reach some kind of elite level, even the most idiotic player with 20k+ can go through any dungeon and finish it very quickly but that doesn't mean he's good, that only means that you just had success where you have supposed to have it, it doesn't tell anything about your skills as player or anything else. Just inspect some players in PE, they have a very high GS but using 2/2 pieces set bonus, 4 active companion bonuses with stats, enchantments like cruel/savage/brutal, etc, accesories with set bonus like hrimnir or the new one, these players have zero knowledge about the game mechanics (except very specific cases). We have very good boons that doesn't boost our GS but are much more useful that extra stats, something that we don't really need now.

I've always said that the Gear Score should be removed of the game, there would be a lot more of better players because they would be focused in looking for whatever helps their character to be better instead of showing off a number that only means something to the new players who unfortunately still doesn't know anything. GS should be like a hidden data for the players, it would work only when we want to join some skirmish, dungeon, w/e based in brackets so if we queue up for something, we would be in party with players with gear similar to ours.

i have seen a hunter on the enemy team with 21k gs and it's nothing like you are picturing. legendary artifacts, legendary belt, legendary weapon, 4/4 set bonus, companions are invalid in pvp, and i can't remember the accesories. he was godly and got 99% if not every kill for his team simply because he killed everyone in 2-3 seconds. our 20k gs gwf wasn't capable of killing him or didn't even try. the rest of us ganked him and he never went below 75% hp against all 4 of us. guaranteed loss right from the start.
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i have seen a hunter on the enemy team with 21k gs and it's nothing like you are picturing. legendary artifacts, legendary belt, legendary weapon, 4/4 set bonus, companions are invalid in pvp, and i can't remember the accesories. he was godly and got 99% if not every kill for his team simply because he killed everyone in 2-3 seconds. our 20k gs gwf wasn't capable of killing him or didn't even try. the rest of us ganked him and he never went below 75% hp against all 4 of us. guaranteed loss right from the start.

I didn't say that every 20k+ GS is like that, I just mentioned that most of them are inflated. Of course there are good players that can achieve 20k+ with no effort, I can have 24K+ GS but I prefer to stay around 20k where my DPS is going to be much higher.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's completele irrelevant if they should or shouldn't. The only thing that matters are the facts: They aren't doing it. One glance at the GS requirements for PvE will tell you so. If you decide to spend money (or effort, doesn't really matter) to get to 21K despite you knowing better, then yes. It's your own fault for having no challenging content. Cryptic didn't put a gun to your head demanding you go over the content's requirement, it was free will that did it. There are several options to gain power and some are better for the game than others, but nobody forces you to use them all at once. It's nothing personal. I'm merely stating a fact.

That said, they shouldn't make harder content. They should never have allowed any enchantment above R7 since the start of the game. But the road to riches is paved with... intentions.

you are 100% correct, BUT there is a demand for these geared players. changes something? no. but ...
    edited September 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    addition of "naked" all-blue pvp would be nice, the "main" should still be default pvp, but it would make a nice challenge mode + would allow devs to gain info about balance in low-medium gear tier games

I would like them to add a 10 vs 10 CTF mode first fully geared before they start exploring blue-gear only pvp
  • velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Naked pvp works extremely well in many games but only if the devs are thriving to get a balanced game. They aren't.

I have to agree with you on one point: they must stop this power creep madness. That's way, way too much power creep per module given the fact that they produce new content at snail pace and don't want to scale challenges accordingly.

Exactly this. Gear won't change the fact that the classes are extremely unbalanced. And every game that I've played has gear progression.

However, part of what's making PvP progressively more frustrating is (other than class imbalance) is this increasing power creep. Now you get 20k gs players paired with 8k gs players in PvP, and that's no fun for anyone. This gap will only get worse with the more "legendary" gear, boons, etc., that are introduced. It needs to change.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    velynna wrote: »
    Exactly this. Gear won't change the fact that the classes are extremely unbalanced. And every game that I've played has gear progression.

However, part of what's making PvP progressively more frustrating is (other than class imbalance) is this increasing power creep. Now you get 20k gs players paired with 8k gs players in PvP, and that's no fun for anyone. This gap will only get worse with the more "legendary" gear, boons, etc., that are introduced. It needs to change.

Having played pvp games for 20 years (RTS mostly) imbalance in itself isn't a bad thing. Each class has its own design philosophy, its own strengths and weaknesses; ideally in any game in which an imbalanced pvp is fun is when you see the meta evolving, from one class to another, some smart guys developing counters, and so on. Okay this isn't happening right now but ideally game balance doesn't mean equal chances for anyone against anything. Some classes wrecking others and being wrecked by other classes is to be expected and healthy in such a complex environment.

For instance a complaint thread about GWFs unable to kill CWs should be directly sent to the trash bin as long as he may destroy TRs, DCs, SWs or whatever. I'm not saying such complaint is even legitimate right know but you should see the picture a bit better.

What the devs should IMO focus on (and that's just my opinion) is making sure that no one can survive a 2 vs 1 encounter, as long as players have the same level of gear and roughly equivalent gaming skills. Because you have the numbers, organized yourself, you should definitely stomp the lone wolf on the pvp map. This leaves room for interesting combos and counters are easier to build.

Currently this isn't the case, we have one class which may chain other classes, mostly because it has too many survivability tools and it's the ranger. When I play my CW combat rangers have a fair chance to win the match. That's fine by me. What isn't fine and should be worked on is that this guy, even though we have the same GS and equivalent pvp skills (i'm good, i know it), may kill me with another guy who isn't bad either helping me. The only option that should be left open in a fair 2 vs 1 situation is running away.

This would greatly improve the overall feeling in pvp; there is no need to make everyone equal but having one (good) guy chaining other (good) players because he plays the right class isn't acceptable.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Currently this isn't the case, we have one class which may chain other classes, mostly because it has too many survivability tools and it's the ranger. When I play my CW combat rangers have a fair chance to win the match. That's fine by me. What isn't fine and should be worked on is that this guy, even though we have the same GS and equivalent pvp skills (i'm good, i know it), may kill me with another guy who isn't bad either helping me. The only option that should be left open in a fair 2 vs 1 situation is running away.

- the HR is extremely vulnerable 1vs2. You cannot kill one? It is a skills/gear issue. This is especially true for a CW with Icy Rays.
    - There is but one cheez 1vsN class, and that is GF (with permadaily and KV)
    - your CW is undergeared by Mod 4 standards PvP and you lack an entire mod of experience and gameplay. Not to mention you never had any real premade vs premade experience besides pugging. So please... such affirmations as "I'm good and I know it" will immediately destroy your credibility.

Best to be modest and keep your feet firmly on the ground.
    edited September 2014
    - the HR is extremely vulnerable 1vs2. You cannot kill one? It is a skills/gear issue. This is especially true for a CW with Icy Rays.
    - There is but one cheez 1vsN class, and that is GF (with permadaily and KV)
    - your CW is undergeared by Mod 4 standards PvP and you lack an entire mod of experience and gameplay. Not to mention you never had any real premade vs premade experience besides pugging. So please... such affirmations as "I'm good and I know it" will immediately destroy your credibility.

Best to be modest and keep your feet firmly on the ground.

Well the 2v1 argument is hard to make because any class outside of a GF is vulnerable 2v1 (yes even sentinel GWF and DC). The TR would probably fair better also.

At high level premade vs premade, HRs are extremely powerful. A lot of them stack power now and use all their cheese abilities to disruptive a CW then 1 rotation them. They are also probably the best class to counter the perma TR hanging out at your node. I would prefer CWs as the rotation but HRs are not far behind.

Also, in a 1v1 scenario, BIS HRs would most likely win against a BIS CW due to disruptive shot start and then all their skills that people have brought up in the forums
  • cynogeniccynogenic Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How about instead of stopping with the boons make them easier and faster to get?
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I find all this whining about class imbalance amusing because every single MMORPG has had this problem and they will continue to have this problem forever. Players will always-ALWAYS complain that another class is OP'ed because the simple fact is players hate getting killed. There has always been and always will be at least one, most of the times multiple go-to classes, it's unavoidable because players will find a way.

Theory craft is fun but if put in the same position as the devs you would experience the same epic failure and whining that is experienced now.

Stop lying about past games being balanced because it's never and I mean NEVER happened, and please don't make me bring up dozens of reasons why your supposed "balanced" game wasn't the exception, because I've played almost all of them.

I personally love this game and although there are a few things I can do without (the damned dailies!), for the most part it's fun for me and when I don't think so I'll just move on to the next.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
    edited September 2014
    Having played pvp games for 20 years (RTS mostly) imbalance in itself isn't a bad thing. Each class has its own design philosophy, its own strengths and weaknesses; ideally in any game in which an imbalanced pvp is fun is when you see the meta evolving, from one class to another, some smart guys developing counters, and so on. Okay this isn't happening right now but ideally game balance doesn't mean equal chances for anyone against anything. Some classes wrecking others and being wrecked by other classes is to be expected and healthy in such a complex environment.

There is balance if certain classes are weak vs others, but strong vs others. That's not at ALL the imbalance I'm talking about. My experience is based on playing with and vs people with the same/similar gear. What you'll find is that certain classes (e.g., CW and HR) have way more strengths than weaknesses compared to other classes. HRs are fine if, for example, they have 2-3 classes who are their natural prey, and 2-3 classes where they become the natural prey. That's not at all how the game is at the moment. You have classes like the DC who are the natural prey to just about everything except TR, and can't support their team in any real way before they're dead. And then you have CWs/HRs who, when played well, can destroy most other classes, and become a nightmare when stacked onto one team.

I don't know many games in which balance implies a 50/50 chance of surviving versus any other player...
    edited September 2014

"Extremely vulnerable?" Definitely not. And I know it's not a gear/skill issue, because of the HRs I'm used to playing with. They are "extremely vulnerable" if they're vs 2 equally geared CWs. With only 1 CW/none in the picture, they have some of the best survivability in the game outside of the TR.