test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Cool it with the Events

bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I am not by any means opposed to the events in principle, but they seem to be coming one on top of the other. We JUST finished Siege of Neverwinter, which came RIGHT on the heels of the Midsummer event, which was right after the last event. We also have the Foundry contest, and each week is already getting fewer and fewer plays. These events are just destroying the shot these quests are getting at winning the prize. As it is, it looks like the first week's batch will win by default, just because everyone is so busy running the events that not enough people will play the foundries to make it past the first announcement.

The first week got the hype of going first, when interest was still fresh. They also ran unopposed. Announcement of the subsequent weeks has been less consistent, and at least 2 of the weeks have run against other events, which drew plays away. Now you've announced "Challenge of the Gods." That's going to rob more entries of any chance at the prize.

Please, hold off on special events until the contest is finished.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by bardaaron on

Comments

• Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Challenge of the Gods isn't really an "event" in the traditional sense.

Its just some extra RNG loot when you kill a mob.
  • Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Challenge of the Gods isn't really an "event" in the traditional sense.

Its just some extra RNG loot when you kill a mob.

It's an event, in whatever sense.
  • Options
    sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This event will have minimal impact on your contest, as stated above. But I do hear ya, and you do have a valid point.

It may be in defeat of some purpose of which I am unaware, but otherwise, maybe it were better if future contests had sign up lists, both for authors and players (judges.)
    Like-
    1. All entries in by a certain date, and none published before that date.
    2. All judges (players) must play and review each entry for ANY review (vote) to be counted. If only 9 reviews are posted of 10 entries, it's a null vote.

I don't know if those are good ideas or not, or even if they had already been pondered. But it seems like the way this one was done it was bound to have unexpected results and leave someone feeling like they got the short end.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    It's an event, in whatever sense.

I said traditional sense.

Nowadays, if you slap anything on, it is an event and rightfully should be marketed as one to maximize buzz and the perception of something big going on
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ew no thanks , without events the game would be nothing but dailies , sorry not enough people are playing your foundries but that is probably due to the time/reward ratio for foundries being bad
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Ew no thanks , without events the game would be nothing but dailies , sorry not enough people are playing your foundries but that is probably due to the time/reward ratio for foundries being bad

It is an official NW sponsored contest, and it is reasonable for the participants to expect a bit of support regards scheduling, I think. The OP absolutely has a valid point, whether the specific solution he asked for is plausible or not. The actual play time of the contest only needs about a week to run. I am sure they can find an appropriate window for that.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I disagree. I say keep it coming. Its keeping the game interesting. Its nice to have major events like the seige and midsummer.

And minor events like the refining point and experience doubles in between.
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you dont like events, dont do them. They aren't dailies and not required.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    The actual play time of the contest only needs about a week to run. I am sure they can find an appropriate window for that.

About a week for over a HUNDRED+ 15-45min quests?
    I can just see it now ... here are your 108 "featured" quests for the week.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe they should've added something to the contest to motivate people to play and rate the Foundries.

If they put in prizes drawn at random to the people who ran and rated the foundries, with each foundry reviewed receiving an entry to the raffle, you would've seen a lot more people participating. But as it stands now, there's not a whole lot to motivate Average Joe to spend his game time running foundry missions (which may or may not suck) AND spend time rating and reviewing the foundry afterwards.

Carrots get results.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    About a week for over a HUNDRED+ 15-45min quests?
    I can just see it now ... here are your 108 "featured" quests for the week.

Roger that. My mistake. Had not realized there were anywhere near that many. That just turns the whole thing into an advertising/popularity contest, doesn't it?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was never asking events to stop forever, just for them to focus on the Foundry Contest while it was actually running. And yes, it would be great if there were better rewards! Give people a reason to judge, and they'll do it gladly. And once the contest is over, by all means go back to all the events. Have as many Sieges of Neverwinter, and Gond Festivals, and Challenges of the Gods as you desire. It's just that those things happening simultaneously with the contest is unfair to the participants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hey, if it is any consolation (figure of speech- I know it is no consolation at all!) I have been blowing off all these events in favor of daily grind myself. I really don't have time for foundries already, unfortunately.

But that's just me, I know lots of people aren't caught in the grind. (Like some of those who only have one or two characters.)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No one is twisting your arm to play or otherwise participate in events. OP is suggesting the punishment of everyone who enjoys them because they are "tired" of them, or they don't meet their idea of satisfaction.

Selfish is as selfish does.

I feel the pace and variety of events as they are now is just fine. If you don't like the current event, ignore it and go on about your business. The world (virtual or real) revolves around you not.
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No one is twisting your arm to play or otherwise participate in events. OP is suggesting the punishment of everyone who enjoys them because they are "tired" of them, or they don't meet their idea of satisfaction.

I feel the pace and variety of events as they are now is just fine. If you don't like the current event, ignore it and go on about your business. The world (virtual or real) revolves around you not.

Actually, what the OP was saying was there was an event going on already. The Foundry Contest. And it didn't seem fair to run other events at the same time. How would people have felt if they'd run the Seige Event the same time as the Summer Festival? Probably pretty put out.

To those who do play the foundry, and especially to those who entered the contest, to have their event have to compete with big events like Seige is just as unfair as if they'd run Seige and Summer Festival together. No one is forcing anyone to participate in judging the foundry contest either, but as it was already in progress, it seems as if it should have been given it's spotlight run time, and not had to compete with other events.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    huajia2 wrote: »
    Actually, what the OP was saying was there was an event going on already. The Foundry Contest. And it didn't seem fair to run other events at the same time. How would people have felt if they'd run the Seige Event the same time as the Summer Festival? Probably pretty put out.

Right....it is because of events that is why foundry is getting neglected by both players and cryptic.

I've been playing this game for a long time to know that is NOT the case
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Right....it is because of events that is why foundry is getting neglected by both players and cryptic.

I've been playing this game for a long time to know that is NOT the case

I'm not talking about the foundry in general. Those are whole other issues. I'm talking about the contest - which is a cryptic run event.
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2014
    Foundry being neglected is unrelated to the events. Unfortunately.

Regarding the events though, I enjoy having them constantly flowing. Having the events and _____ weekend constantly go back and forth makes the game feel a lot more alive, I think, to have real-time things going on.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is so much to do already if you haven't finished all campaigns I never have time for these events anyway. I stopped by that summer event once or twice and left without any rewards, and did that Neverwinter Siege a few times, didn't get much besides some currency that wasn't enough to get any rewards and some rank 3 draconic enchants. Siege event needs to be much longer as people are so busy we only have enough time to stop by there a few minutes here and there or give up progression in campaigns during the event.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Events...events...events...

Are there too many or not enough???

I say keep them coming. The more the better. While I really did not care for the summer festival others did. I liked the siege. Other things that are contests are not part of these.

I get to choose what I partciapate in and what I do not, so once again MORE PLEASE.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Events...events...events...

Are there too many or not enough???

I say keep them coming. The more the better. While I really did not care for the summer festival others did. I liked the siege. Other things that are contests are not part of these.

I get to choose what I partciapate in and what I do not, so once again MORE PLEASE.

Basically this , not having events certainly won't make me waste my time doing or rating foundries , until we actually somehow get rewarded for running foundries I'm staying away .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm surprised their isn't an "Event" you can buy in the ZEN store, just for you to run... Just sayin' ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Wow. I feel we are seeing things very differently. I just meant that we have something going on already. The contest IS an event. Maybe I would benefit from this as well when my quest came up in the lineup, but I was primarily thinking of the last few weeks of entries where the events have corellated with a drastic decrease in number of plays and ratings for the contest entry quests, and seeing how having to directly compete with these events has hurt some really great entries. I don't expect to win, but I did expect some of these to have a chance. It seems like they were robbed because Siege of Neverwinter happened at the same time.

To be clear; I have nothing against these events IN GENERAL, only to running them concurrent with the CONTEST. Do I expect that if there were no such events people would play foundry quests more on a regular basis? No. I think that there would be more players leaving the game altogether out of boredom. Once the contest is over, have all the events you like! Just give the entries a fair shot, by not putting them up against a whole string of other shinies.
    Again this is not about my enjoyment or not of the events; it is about the timing of the events. Pace and variety, after the contest, could proceed as normal. I'm happy to have events too; some more than others, which is no different than anyone else. Please don't stop them PERMANENTLY; I only ask that they not upstage one event with another, by running them together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    radiotubbyradiotubby Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2014
    Contests are events too. Events happen simultaneously around the world every second. As I am typing now, a baby is born, a kitty is killed, Obama is getting older...

Events happen all the time and most of them are not mutually exclusive. The fact is multiple events can run at the same time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    radiotubby wrote: »
    Contests are events too. Events happen simultaneously around the world every second. As I am typing now, a baby is born, a kitty is killed, Obama is getting older...

Events happen all the time and most of them are not mutually exclusive. The fact is multiple events can run at the same time.
    Babies being born and birthdays, things like that are outside Cryptic's jurisdiction. The Contest, the Siege of Neverwinter, the Challenge of the Gods, etc. These are all WITHIN Cryptic's jurisdiction. I wouldn't ask them to juggle their events around outside of Neverwinter, but having the Foundry contest compete with these other events is like making the authors say "Come watch my amateur theatrical production" during the Playoffs. They might have something great, but most people aren't going to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Babies being born and birthdays, things like that are outside Cryptic's jurisdiction. The Contest, the Siege of Neverwinter, the Challenge of the Gods, etc. These are all WITHIN Cryptic's jurisdiction. I wouldn't ask them to juggle their events around outside of Neverwinter, but having the Foundry contest compete with these other events is like making the authors say "Come watch my amateur theatrical production" during the Playoffs. They might have something great, but most people aren't going to come.

So are these Neverwinter events outside your jurisdiction. Having the Foundry contest compete with other events is no difference than having the Daily Foundry compete with Daily GG, dungeons, etc. Are people doing daily foundry when GG, dungeon delves etc are running? Maybe, maybe not. The point is these events run simultaneously, and have always been so.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So are these Neverwinter events outside your jurisdiction.
    Yeah. That's why I am on the forums asking for something to be done. If it were in my jurisdiction, I wouldn't have to complain about it; I'd just DO it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Yeah. That's why I am on the forums asking for something to be done. If it were in my jurisdiction, I wouldn't have to complain about it; I'd just DO it.

Neither is our choice of whether to participate in Foundry, DD, Dominion, GG, or not to play at all in Cryptic's jurisdiction. Charles Darwin summed it up the best way. The "right" choice is determined by natural selection. For that reason, if Foundry is better than other events it will prevail. Likewise, somebody who likes open world pvp more may come to the forum and complain about Foundry, DD, GG and whatever you can think of affecting ICW negatively and suggest their schedule to be trimmed down.

Of course, nobody has infinite amount of time to play. More choices mean less activities to some contests or events unfortunately but it is how Darwinism works. The fittest will survive the process of natural selection.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    W.T.H. are you guys griefing this poster? It is NOT too much to ask that NW game masters schedule their stuff intelligently. That is all he is doing, even though on the surface (and apparently too many are incapable of looking beyond the surface...) it may look like he is attacking events.

The thing is.. the system lists the foundries in the order it wants to. There is no clickable selector for this official event... into which people put a bunch of time. So the top of the list automatically gets the most plays, apart from the guy who is in the guild that gets to say it is the official guild for livestreaming and whatever other popularity/advertising booster helps.

Bottom line is that if an official contest is going to be put up by the game masters, they need to make it work. That is not what they are doing.

Stop focusing on the minutia and grab onto the point.. And quit hating for the sake of hating, for Pete's sake. It really makes you look insectoid. LOL
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So are these Neverwinter events outside your jurisdiction. Having the Foundry contest compete with other events is no difference than having the Daily Foundry compete with Daily GG, dungeons, etc. Are people doing daily foundry when GG, dungeon delves etc are running? Maybe, maybe not. The point is these events run simultaneously, and have always been so.

Contest and Events are completely different from dailies. People choose whether to do dailies or spend their time on an event, yes. Some people like one event over an other as well. I barely visited Seige enough to do some of the fights, before leaving to do other things. I played for hours in the Summer Festival, long after doing my event daily, and ignored my current quests to do it. But I also knew those quests and dailies would be there to do once the event was over.

You can't compare contests/events and dailies/regular content. You hold an event in order to draw people in. You want people to choose to do the event over what they'd normally do. Otherwise, you would not have an event. There'd be no purpose to hold it. So people do ignore their dailies and other things they'd normally participate in because an event is occuring.

A contest IS an event. NW is a game, with a limited number of players. They don't hold two events at the same time, and they should schedule their contests between their events, not during. If you take a moment to look at the thread:

Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Official Contest Thread

The rules state: Each batch of entries will be featured for 1 week at a time and we will only count the stars accumulated during that week.

That means that those whose quests were featured during the event cannot "make up" for lost time. That was their one chance at the prize, and they had to compete with not only with dailies, dungeons, ect, but the Seige event on top of it. I didn't enter the contest myself, but it does seem unfair to those whose turn it was that week.