test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How would you rate this game out of 10?

frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
If you read my posts, you'd know that I'm not exactly happy with the way thing turned out. Something that I would've rated maybe a 7/10 last year with the potential of reaching an 8 or even 9 is now what I'd rate a 4 if I wanted to be fair. That is down to a multiple of reasons including but not limited to the forced usage of the zen store to get coal wards, clumsy ui for refinement, too much bop loot, rare drops with little to compensate to give incentive overall, over focus on dailies with no compelling end game content since CN, too many bugs and ones taking too long to fix if ever, matchmaking lacking quality. There's also the marketing.

As an old and experienced player (especially doing it 8 times), I think it's easier for me to see the cracks more than say a newer or casual player. For me it would take a big turn around to change that to a 5 or 6, and a prolonged turnaround for more though personally they have broken my trust for if they really managed to do that so wouldn't be as supportive as I otherwise would be.

Lets keep criticism basic so that the thread stays open. I'm interested in how the forum feels about the game. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean much as people who hate the game would've left, though the ones negative may also be the ones more active on the forums. However it should be an interesting figure regardless.

On the plus side this beats my last MMO which was a browser MMO, that was really bad for a long time, yet I still played it for maybe over a year 0.0. I still defended it if I felt people had unfair criticisms. It kind of surprised me how much I found out I could defend it despite it being done very poorly. No matter how good or bad a game is I try to base my opinion for what I genuinely believe what's best for the game rather than what's best for the players (which obviously still comes down to it since it's for our entertainment) or what's best for the developer (who of course needs an income, preferably in a fair way).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    2 to be perfectly fair, 7 when i first started
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2014

i'm fine with pve, but i'm biased because i like solo content mixed with quick group dungeons, so it works for me

pvp though, holy heck, it's a big pile of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>....i love the combat and it's a shame pvp is such a joke (matchmaking, glyphs, cheese builds that take forever to get fixed/nerfed, matchmaking, matchmaking matchmaking)

the action combat is really what keeps me coming back...and the misplaced hope that the game will get its act together
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Appreciate the feedback+votes :)
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Would rate it 8/10 before m3. Now I'd say it's 4/10 mainly because of the way community is treated by support. Wondering if they read what we are trying to imply in our tickets at all...
  • Options
    nathanmehew2435nathanmehew2435 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When module 1 was out would be 9/10. As of now pve 4/10 pvp 1/10 not worth playing if so many things are broken and the dev's just make things worse for the game
  • Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    MoD 2 - 8/10, MoD 3 - 6/10, now 5/10.

Summarizing what I dislike:
    - Trivialized content for 15K GS to whatever is the max GS.
    - Huge amount of Bugs (even if they are not game breaking, there are just too much).
    - Boring and repetitive Dailies, with cero challenge.
    - Broken stuffs like Glyphs.
    - PvP is not even playable.

EDIT:

I forgot to say, the way RNG works here and the way that gated content is implemented... they are just punishing mechanics, for example, here, on MoD 4, we were expecting a Tiranny of Dragons, instead of that you make the experience of defeating an epic dragon trivial, and you make it seem like a work that you have to do for months (everyday) to get some rewards, it kills all the enjoyable feel you could get if the dragon were thought, maybe making them able to kill 10 or 15 guys if they are not properly geared and increasing their rewards rates.

Nobody enjoy farming stuff.
  • Options
    koralzombiekoralzombie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    8 out of 10 last year. 2 out of 10 this year. The drop is due to:

The grind with no incentive
    . The grind sucks when there is no reward and let us all be real here. The reward drop rate for the new module items belts, tomes is so low that it does not actually exist. .00025% is zero. The items that do drop are almost useless (IMO) epics good for salvage only which is capped at 24k a day.

Dying player base:

The limitation on chat for characters below level 15 coupled with the unbalanced gear score ratio has snipped the possibility for fresh players in the balls. Who wants to play a game that it will take you 3 digits in spending to compete or 9 months of unrewarding grind just to maybe have the chance to not get beat down in pvp or kicked from a group in a new mod dungeon? Also, just look at these forums, complaints piled on top of complaints with a dash of anger a smidgen of dissatisfaction and an extra large side dish of more complaints. That is not exactly a warm welcome for new players.

The change to BOA for Coal wards and keys was dummy dumb. I understand they are trying to make a profit and push out the gold / AD sellers but in all honesty those types of businesses thrive off of the decisions this game has made. I don't see less spammers but I see people with stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks of gems and belts at the last event and you know they didn't all farm them, they bought them. Just watch the spam chat coming from those 3rd party sites its like watching wall street and they wouldn't be here if they weren't making money.

Lastly, The treatment of the player base by the community managers, moderators and support is lack luster at best. For the most part they are unfriendly and /sarcastic. They shut down threads and point to "dev bashing etc" which is fine and dandy but they have been shutting down the same threads on the same topics for over a year. That means there is a persistent problem with the mechanics of the game and their ability to respond. I came to this game with a guild of 30 players and they all have left for other games. I know that you can't expect a bug to receive immediate attention but we all see bugs that have been around since beta and the list grew from there.

There are a few more reasons like balance or lack of, the monotony -lack of innovation etc but that is beating a dead horse.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted it a 7/10. It's still a very solid FREE game. Never required to pay a dime to access all the classes or content. Most of the bugs aren't ground breaking, the last set of Dungeon chest bugs almost did it in for me though. The pvp is a disaster, but I don't play it much so it's not an area I'm really free to vie in. The modules are starting to get really boring and repetitive, and the main quest line is literally a straight line. No variation for alts, so it's starting to grow really stale.

If I had to break it down more:

Graphics/Sound/UI: 9/10 It's a nice looking game, good musical score, UI is pretty solid.

Gameplay: 7/10 Gameplay's pretty solid. Abilities work, they're easy to use, it's a simply yet action system that isn't just rolling numbers 1-10 and tab targeting. Every class has it's special abilities they can use. AI is pretty bad, and the bosses are dumb and repetitive. The balance is pretty bad, but not as bad as people think. The pvp is totally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. They really should just start making their own pvp trees for pvp. PvE there is obviously some classes that are WAY better then others. But running dungeons with legit you can easily see that any dungeon is doable with pretty well any mis-matched party. They might not be butter or a cakewalk, but it's still doable.

Story: 5/10 Horrible. For a game based on such an expansive and open universe, the story is really lacking here. Literally thousands of monsters in the DnD world, and we've only fought a handful over and over. Half the time I don't even know what my characters purpose in X area/dungeon is.

Not sure if the zen store should be added in because you aren't forced to buy anything. But the store prices are out to lunch for somethings. Companions and mounts especially if you want different mounts across your characters. Things like coal wards, or other consumables shouldn't be anywhere near that much. But on the plus side, AD is really really easy to get.

All in all is it worth the 0 dollars I paid to get the game? Hell yeah.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Frishter WELCOME BACK. I just cannot bring myself to vote as I am all over the place on these issues.

And I mean what do you do when your toon becomes god like in the game? Oh yeah go collect armor sets that no one ever gets. Then what?

Game I love. The mechanics of combat I love. Zen store is a mix bag of good, bad and the really ugly.

Is it enough to keep me playing...for now YES. Waiting for the next big thing, but we cannot talk about things like that here in fear of being "moderated", even though it might improve the game.
  • Options
    koralzombiekoralzombie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Frishter WELCOME BACK. I just cannot bring myself to vote as I am all over the place on these issues.

And I mean what do you do when your toon becomes god like in the game? Oh yeah go collect armor sets that no one ever gets. Then what?

Game I love. The mechanics of combat I love. Zen store is a mix bag of good, bad and the really ugly.
    You salvage them you can make 24k per day and since the tier 4 boon book is 2.4million AD you can buy one in 100 days. Isn't that exciting?
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd still give it a solid 7/10. Both in terms of overall quality and my enjoyment. It's a good game, there's a lot to like.

Sure there's plenty of design decisions I don't like both in the gameplay and economy and that list is growing with each module. That's pretty common with a lot of games though and much of it qualifies as personal preference. I think I've only played one game I'd give a 10/10 to and couldn't really fault, that was Portal.

I could still see myself playing Neverwinter for a while yet, although that depends a lot on what other competition there is around. The key reason I'm playing Neverwinter over the other MMOs on my HDD is the combat. If something else came along with similarly enjoyable combat then I'd definitely be taking a look. Whilst I still enjoy Neverwinter in many ways I've had my fun with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cayapp wrote: »

Is it enough to keep me playing...for now YES. Waiting for the next big thing, but we cannot talk about things like that here in fear of being "moderated", even though it might improve the game.

Thanks ^_^. On the plus side it looks like I'm able to keep my sig, which I don't see why not. It's just a definition. I did consider changing it when requested but figured I wanted the CM (apparently) to figure out if it was an overreaction which I'm presuming he thought so.

I don't blame you for being all over the place, the game does have a lot of different attitudes to design choices and implementations that can give you a varied opinion an unsure what to think overall even if my mind is quite set :D.

I do wish they did things differently. I could've easily loved this game so much for so long. Though maybe it's also a good thing, I could do with focusing on life but idk :D.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted 7/10. 4 for base game and +3 for foundry.

Thoughts...

Zen store: ridiculous pricing

Refining UI
    : Horrid, extremely user hostile.

Crafting
    : Absolute rubbish -- fire and forget slavery/indentured servitude. No "crafting" here.

PvE
    : Pretty nice visually/decent layouts. WAY to small in most cases. Hate "teleport" gates. Total immersion killer. Too many static mobs.

PvP
    : Won't even bother. Now defunct Warhammer got it right (and some new ones out there). Need large, open world areas with several keeps/castles/towers/capture points with unique offensive/defensive tactics (*cough* siege weapons *cough*)

Foundry
    : Infinite free content that very few play because of the worthless rewards. Also the quest search UI is seriously lacking. And the ratings calculation is completely off base for the limited number of plays - it takes thousands or tens of thousands of plays to be relevant. Most quests don't get anywhere near that number. Dozens of ridiculously simplistic bugs existing since beta.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Voted 7/10. 4 for base game and +3 for foundry.

It would be nice if the foundry had more customisation such as boss fights. However in an rts I used to play, I used to love custom maps there, especially ones from the older games that you could mod quite heavily. In particular to the later games in the serious you could script units and cinematics and it would be pretty cool to have that same level of scripting here. Not sure what it is, but I don't really like the foundry here personally. Maybe because as an MMO I like the progression side whereas the foundry is a lack of progress while in other games there was no progress, it was just playing for fun so playing something new doesn't really set you back sort of speak.
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    3 and down.

the game began to die for me after changes in "character design" . Now the gameplay became boring. i just log to pray ((or to brighten the computer screen ;))

Not to mention that certain things that you swore would change someday, but... is just part of the "business", internal limitations, i dont know.
  • Options
    benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    PvE: Pretty nice visually/decent layouts. WAY to small in most cases. Hate "teleport" gates. Total immersion killer. Too many static mobs.

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Beta - 8/10 (nice visuals, design, great combat, enjoyable pvp; lame pve, no endgmae content).

Release - 8/10 (game started to become boring but GG seemed that the devs cared about pvp).

M1 - 8/10 (new module came out very fast and showed, that the game is gonna progress very fast, module introduced the first past lvl 60 content, dungeon was very good designed; campaign was too grindy, the bosses didn't drop anything but blues in the most cases).

M2 - 7/10 (new campaign was nice, much better then previous, new class, new paragons; artifacts made the gap between casuals and hardcores too big because there were people who refined their artifacts up to legendary in the first day, coffer of wondrous augmentation was nerfed).

M3 - 7/10 (this module brought lots of new things, BI gear was a real upgrade, overload slots were a nice little addition, new locations are beautiful and fun to explore, another attempt to extend pvp since release; huge GWF imbalance, BI gear set bonuses suck, drop rates were nerfed too hard, RNG gate behind loot).

M4 - 3/10 (new skirmish is fun, added new class; tedious, boring super bad campaign, artifact gear available only for elites, extremely low drop rates, huge HR, CW and GF imbalance, etc. This module brought nothing but absolutely the same type of content, extremely unrewarding, stupidly hard RNG gated with absolutely nothing new, fun and satisfying).

Average - 6 (rounded down).
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I'm just gonna go with the scoring method of Meh since this thread probably isn't gonna get the love it deserves and just score it out of my amusement:

Beta - 8/10

Release - 6/10

Module 1 - 3/10

Module 2 - 6/10

Module 3 - 5/10

Module 4 - 3/10
  • Options
    masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If they fix the bugs 8.
    If they don't fix the bugs 4 (or 3 depending on if they are jerks about it).

I have to say the mechanics are great, but if not used properly it is all for nothing.
    We need something that makes us feel as if we accomplished something more than turning into the hulk.
  • Options
    thecreampiethecreampie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Up to mod3 I'd give it a solid 8. Mod 4, maybe a 5. Pvp right now is a complete mess, and there are a handful of things that need to be taken cared of mentioned in earlier pages. Some things however, like the cn door, and the ToD campaign being stuck / frozen, things like that, that are taking forever to get fixed, is just a bit disappointing. I thought i twould have been fixed on Thursday's patch but nope. Overall, I really feel like it's way too easy to get to lvl 60. I feel like there'd be a lot more potential to do things up to 60. Pretty much it's start a new character, rush to 60 so you can do end-game content. When I was playing the game when it came out, I thought the levels would go up to 100, or have a +10 lvls per module.

Also a find it weird that mod 5 is already being announced even though mod4 was just released a few months ago.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    8/10 for the game, it is an overall nice game with very good graphis and a unique gameplay.
    4/10 for the community, lot of QQ , exploiters, and many refuses to enjoy the game and just want to go trough everything as fast as possible like it was some kind of punishement.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    6. Maybe even a 5.

8 at the start, but successive modules have introduced a level of grinding that beggars belief coupled with a quirky RNG that either hates you or really hates you. Gating boons was also a questionable idea. So much potential has been squandered in an attempt to make a fast buck to.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I gave the game a four ,it would have been higher but last week after farming the Dragon HE's, skirmish and dungeon for several hours a day since module four launch I finally got a Artifact belt drop at the Whispering caverns just for it not to appear in my inventory which makes me sick , panderus acknowledged the bug a week or two ago but nothing has been done to fix it ,it's a complete joke.

Also a find it weird that mod 5 is already being announced even though mod4 was just released a few months ago.

The same thing happened with module four , module three had barely been out a week when module four was announced , that is because module four and five are part of a global D&D campaign set up by WotC that cryptic are probably contractually obliged to follow.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Up to level 59.9, this was a 9/10 in terms of atmosphere - graphics, sound, zone design and storytelling did a great job. The lack of a better grouping interface prevented a 10/10. Once the 'charm of the new' wore off and MMO routine kicks in (the 60 grind which will inevitably have some repetetive elements), it still held a solid 8/10 until some things were changed for the worse (refinement system made worse, coal wards, marks; making too much stuff BoP - guys, go back on this).

My biggest gripe with the latest modules is the sheer amount of resources needed to max-level a single artifact or artifact weapon/belt. For working people, this just isn't doable. What has been keeping me around (and the game fresh for me) is being able to switch between characters (currently GF DC CW) and playstyles - game plays very differently depending on the char you're on. However, on all chars combined I haven't been able to accumulate/feed enough RP to max out a *single* artifact item. I just won't be able to do it for all 3 chars, meaning I cannot keep them competetive, and this is likely to worsen in Mod5.

Imo, artifact items should take less than 2 mil to max out. That's still nuts, but it'll lose you less 'working casuals' as the current situation will. The artifact leveling grind is just too much. Current rating 6/10; I've re-installed another MMO recently.
  • Options
    anatas07anatas07 Member Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    What an interesting post ! One of the few interesting posts (ever) ...
    Anyway this will be very useful for the devs I suppose, with the only condition to have many many people writing in it and voting.

Prior to voting and provide some criticism, allow me to mention that I am 50% trader / 40% PVE and 10% PVP.

Good parts :
    - is free (you download it and you play it)
    - is populated (very populated I can say)
    - has nice graphics / nice mechanics / music
    - nice vintage/historic feeling
    - the foundry - you can build your own adventure (innovation from my point of view)
    - you can invest in it (buying stuff with real money keeps a game alive - I always encourage this - if you love a game and can invest in it - DO it, it will live longer)
    - permanent maintenance (every week)
    - permanent development (new stuff coming continuously from the developers)

Bad parts:
    - too instanced
    - lack of pvp viable system. I'll stop here for a moment and explain : 1 v 1 is totally absent / team v team is totally absent (in matter of pre-made match - maybe some guilds need to pvp against others) / mass pvp is instanced and limited to 20 v 20. ELO system is not designed too good and it fails most of the time (remember when you go 18-20k gs vs some "kids" with 9k gs - they don't stand a chance)
    - lack of economic stability (from time to time things are pumped in the game and you can't afford the risk of investing in items - one simple example : crafting assets and from time to time items are made BOP - not a single time a BOP is made BOE)
    - lack of diversity in matter of viable items (perfect vorpal / greater plaguefire / perfect soulforged / r10 radiants / latest tier3 clothes - they all dress the same)
    - bad loot system (after an 1 hour raid you need some good loot, not some RNG)
    - bad solo farming - you simply can't farm solo because there is nothing worth solo-ing
    - bad crafting system - shirts and pants is all worth crafting - everything else has a better option (now even the BOP high end weapons have a better option)

Maybe there are more good / bad things to mention, but this is only my point of view. Maybe I'm too old and seen too many things (I am an active AO and retired D2 player - I will not mention full name of the games, but you maybe know them)

Considering all that, game gets a 5 from me (I play it since beta every single day - yep I am an addicted one)

Vote people and share thoughts !

P.S. I personally would love to see sort of "monthly report" from an official on the forum. What was done, what needs to be done. Known issues / resolved problems. Etc.
    If you see this and have the answer - PM me or answer real quick because this post will be removed
  • Options
    f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i vote 4
    huge gap in gear in pvp
    no skill needed in some cases.
    to easy pve not rewarding
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    7/10 - general score is "Not bad".

8/10 - for graphics/level 1-59 content (mainly visuals and lore)/combat system and Castle Never look
    3/10 - progression on 60
    2/10 - crafting
    1/10 - Mod 4, offers nothing, 3 day cold meal backed and spiced
    3/10 - Mod 3, for graphics i would even give 7-9, but day when i finish boons grind on char is lucky day, you name it
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anatas07 wrote: »
    Good parts :*snip*

Bad parts:*snip*

P.S. I personally would love to see sort of "monthly report" from an official on the forum. What was done, what needs to be done. Known issues / resolved problems. Etc.
    I agree with the above, good and bad parts in particular and I find an idea of a monthly report a good one.
    Currently, I would evaluate the game around 3 with a certain drop in appeal at module 3 and its 2 weeks-long serious performance issues and with a considerable drop at module 4 with connectivity issues and extremely awfully designed campaign I came to dislike practically everything about - the long waits for dragons (I started to read books while "playing"), the anti-cooperative feel ("Let's not invite people for dragons 'cause our drops will be nerfed"), the loot bugs now getting at least 3 weeks old, and especially a super long duration due to the low availability of scrolls/sigils (max 6/5 per day if you do all dragons... day after day... and what if you have alts, eh?) vs quite high demand on them in boons/skirmish-dungeon unlocks, the new lockbox contents coming totally untested (resulting in bringing pvp even lower than down in the dumps from day 1)...
  • Options
    stevebobbstevebobb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    5.5/10 for me (I voted a 5 as 5.5 wasn't an option)

free to play, free to play doesn't mean you are limited or can't get anything paying people can get, everything is attainable, it just takes time, I love this aspect of it. Sure some people will say "but it takes so long to get my perfect vorp...", of course it does, it's an elite piece of gear, either pay for it or grind it, I prefer to grind as I'm a cheapskate and I'm not looking to power through all of the content in 30 hours, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I like that they provide "events", ie "new" content often, though this new content is just old content repackaged, hence the "new" qualifier. Though, in my opinion, these events are just devices to get people to spend more money with as little effort as possible on the game designers part. But these "new" events partly satisfy my constant desire for new content.

Not an open world, everything is instanced. I just love open worlds, sure there are many spaces where there is nothing, I like that, that's just me.

Dupes and gold/zen sellers and spammers, god I hate this stuff, but, I would say most games have issues like this, it just seems like they are very slow to react to dealing with it and aren't that up front about it.

I'm 100% free-to-play, If I had to pay to play this game I wouldn't play it.
This discussion has been closed.