test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should I change to halfling for pvp ?

crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
I asked this before but didn't get much answers. I don't want to spend 1.5k zen if it's not worth it and as halfling has great race bonuses for pvp I would like to know if people who have a halfling char thinks it worth it ?
Crixus - PVP GF
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by crixus8000 on

Comments

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Sure, if you want to be a creepy haunted doll with spindly legs. All new halflings look horrible. Existing halflings will look horrible if you try to edit their appearance, as they too inherit the new models.

If looking freaky and mutated doesn't bother you, the bonuses are excellent for PvP, by the way.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Sure, if you want to be a creepy haunted doll with spindly legs. All new halflings look horrible. Existing halflings will look horrible if you try to edit their appearance, as they too inherit the new models.

If looking freaky and mutated doesn't bother you, the bonuses are excellent for PvP, by the way.

Yeah the looks don't bother me haha. Just I don't make much ad so 1.5k is a lot and I only pvp so it would be a good choice, i just want to make sure it actually makes much of a difference. I'm human now but halfling bonuses seem way better.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    originalmadscot1originalmadscot1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Was wondering the same Crixus.

My dilemma is whether it's worth race changing from wood elf to halfling for my combat HR or keeping the wood elf and using the Zen to buy upgraded enchants?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

My dilemma is whether it's worth race changing from wood elf to halfling for my combat HR or keeping the wood elf and using the Zen to buy upgraded enchants?

Then hopefully we will get some answers. I don't want to spend all that zen then find out it's not even that much of a difference lol.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

At lower levels of GS, the enchants will probably help more, but as your GS gets higher then the benefits of the Halflings' +3% deflect, +2 DEX and +2 CON become impossible to replicate. The fact that Halflings are slightly smaller and have a slight visibility advantage help also.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    I asked this before but didn't get much answers. I don't want to spend 1.5k zen if it's not worth it and as halfling has great race bonuses for pvp I would like to know if people who have a halfling char thinks it worth it ?

If you can accept your toon looking fugly sure go ahead.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    teleroguetelerogue Banned Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

Don't forget their Melon-Sized huge heads.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    telerogue wrote: »
    Don't forget their Melon-Sized huge heads.

Yep, giant heads, tiny spindly legs etc.. It's a shame- to be shallow, my Halfling GF was the cutest of all my characters until I foolishly used the appearance change to make a couple of tweaks. Now she's a grisly little mutant.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Since you are asking for PvP (I guess not take into account the appearance) I would say, yes, Halfling are the best for PvP, 10% CC + 3% Deflect are better than any other thing you could get with other races.

The fact that they are smaller and you have the bonus +2 CON and +2 DEX is also good for a GF, just go for it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So your gear, helm etc, doesn't help reduce their hideousness?

That's a shame, anyhoo my GS aint that high atm (12.5k) so I may just improve my enchants instead.
  • Options
    nekromaniak666nekromaniak666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 94
    edited September 2014
    I can also recommend Halfling race for your pvp toon. Their racials are pretty good, also +2con/+2dex perfectly fit for your stat roll. What will be your new base stat roll, 16str/16con/12dex/10rest or 13/18con/13 ?
    Also dont underestimate their tiny size.
    [SIGPIC]Hellsing[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    potaterchippotaterchip Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yep, giant heads, tiny spindly legs etc.. It's a shame- to be shallow, my Halfling GF was the cutest of all my characters until I foolishly used the appearance change to make a couple of tweaks. Now she's a grisly little mutant.

I dunno what's with all the hate with how the new halflings look. You can still change the head size smaller to make it look more proportional to the body size. And I actually think they look even more adorable now with their tiny legs. :P

As for the question, halflings are good for pvp. Especially if you want to tank better as a GF. And like some people have mentioned already, the stats are really helpful in pvp.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I played as a tiefling for 3 Modules. I also had a halfling HR from M3 forward. For me the difference was the CC length. Sure deflect would help and better gear options cause high Con but...

A simple example:

- non-halfling char: HR boar prones you, Fox Shifts you while you are prone still on your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    - halfing: HR prones you, and the next moment you're off the ground. Might even have a chance to dodge or in your case activate block, dunno about GF, others should tell you.

An entangle also lasts considerably longer on a non-halfling. Other CCs are less visible, but the reduction in duration is there.

Halflings can (could?) also randomly resist CCs almost completely. It's been quite a while since I have seen this stuff, might have been ninja-fixed.
  • Options
    intoxicatedknighintoxicatedknigh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited September 2014
    i agree halfings look aweful now. they ruined the looks totally. but looks aside as others have said 10%cc resistance and deflect is nice , however but what class are you, the +2 stats might be a downfall for you depending on your class.
    ~Angus BullGod - Swordmaster GWF~
    ~Vladimar Zul - Fury build SW ~
    ~Takadump onzcrapper - Iron vangaurd GF~
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I played as a tiefling for 3 Modules. I also had a halfling HR from M3 forward. For me the difference was the CC length. Sure deflect would help and better gear options cause high Con but...

A simple example:

- non-halfling char: HR boar prones you, Fox Shifts you while you are prone still on your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    - halfing: HR prones you, and the next moment you're off the ground. Might even have a chance to dodge or in your case activate block, dunno about GF, others should tell you.

An entangle also lasts considerably longer on a non-halfling. Other CCs are less visible, but the reduction in duration is there.

Halflings can (could?) also randomly resist CCs almost completely. It's been quite a while since I have seen this stuff, might have been ninja-fixed.

Thank you this was helpful and thanks to everyone else too. I'm gonna change to a little halfling and I don't mind the look lol. I guess it would be fun to make people lose to a guy half there size :P
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited September 2014

A simple example:

Not sure. It happens to me somtimes, i hit a HR/TR with stun, it connects 100% but the guy start moving after half of a second. You hit them, 100% damage and They stop moving, but get free almost immediately. Must be a bug or some weird combo of estreme cc resistance...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    i agree halfings look aweful now. they ruined the looks totally. but looks aside as others have said 10%cc resistance and deflect is nice , however but what class are you, the +2 stats might be a downfall for you depending on your class.

Well, in my case. I am a PvP combat pathfinder HR.
  • Options
    psycobrabillypsycobrabilly Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have a human Sword Master Gf, and recently started using Steel Grace class feature and noticed a big difference to cc resistance in pvp. Almost feels like i'm using a halfling sometimes.
    And yeah when I respected to SM I couldn't bring myself to go halfling, on the account that they look like creepy leprechauns running around on baby legs.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I used a reroll token to change my 1-year old roll and race to better fit PvP. My HR is a halfling but i couldn't mutate my GWF into one of those things. I was looking at the character creation screen and i could almost hear the little voice of my toon "please master, don't turn me into a deformed gnome...i've served you well till now, why y u want to punish me?". Went human (don't like dwarves aesthetics either) to get a balance of aesthetics and good enough race choice. My old half-orc choice is the best for PvE imho but not that good for PvP. Human is more balanced.

But yeah, halflings are BiS choice for PvP. CC resistance and deflect beat dwarf bonuses and human heroic feats and defense bonus.

Still , if you care about aesthetics even a little bit, i wouldn't choose halfling, unless you are trying to make your toon look ugly and creepy on purpose.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    I used a reroll token to change my 1-year old roll and race to better fit PvP. My HR is a halfling but i couldn't mutate my GWF into one of those things. I was looking at the character creation screen and i could almost hear the little voice of my toon "please master, don't turn me into a deformed gnome...i've served you well till now, why y u want to punish me?". Went human (don't like dwarves aesthetics either) to get a balance of aesthetics and good enough race choice. My old half-orc choice is the best for PvE imho but not that good for PvP. Human is more balanced.

But yeah, halflings are BiS choice for PvP. CC resistance and deflect beat dwarf bonuses and human heroic feats and defense bonus.

Still , if you care about aesthetics even a little bit, i wouldn't choose halfling, unless you are trying to make your toon look ugly and creepy on purpose.

I don't think they look bad at all apart from the legs. When race re-roll was on test server I messed around with it a lot and I changed the size of the body/legs and head to look fully normal just smaller version than human and the face looked quite normal too :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    An alternative of you have the feywild pack you can take the moon elf/sun elf which get. It's lame that halfling is the best pvp race.. wish they made drow better for pvp. Not changing though!

+2 Intelligence
    +2 Dexterity or +2 Charisma

Wanderlust: You cannot stay in one place long and are always roaming and seeking new odditities. +1% Action Point gain and +1% Stamina Regen.
    Moon Elf Resilience: Your elven resilience increases your resistance to Crowd Control effects by 10%.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    zildan7905zildan7905 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you this was helpful and thanks to everyone else too. I'm gonna change to a little halfling and I don't mind the look lol. I guess it would be fun to make people lose to a guy half there size :P

I play a Tiefling GF just to enhance damage reflection and nerf any who damage my party with my racials.

Hrm, of racials, to consider a halfling for Protector from the Iron Vanguard tree would be most acceptable. You would have an affinity for DEFLECT! And, since that stat is slower to raise than Defence or -well I'll just say ANY OTHER STAT since it's the most of the most very important stats for a decent Guardian Fighter- make sure you re-roll those stats until you land a 20 Dex! Put a +1 in it every time :D

They say that CON is the prerequisite for GFs, its in purple and everything.. Well you start with +2 in that too! I'm thinking of trading my horns in for harry feet! Hitpoint gear and boons help with that too but you start with so much as a halfling then, why the heck not?

You will look so much better being sucessful in defending your party in PVP that no one will freaking CARE what your legs or your head look like! For real, at the end of the match, when your team wins the most anyone will say is GG so there -.-
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks guys. I re-rolled to halfling and don't regret it at all. The bonus stats are great and its so fun beating people twice your size :D

Took me a while on the appearance part to get him looking normal but it came out well :) the only problem is that his feet are a little smaller than I chose them to be lol.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Can always buy a change appearence token
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well the changes won't make you a better player. It's just a small bonus and it won't change your game experience. It may just give you a little edge in the rare circumstances of a very even encounter. Usually in pvp you either stomp or get stomped; if I were you i'd spend that money on an artifact belt or weapon instead.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Well the changes won't make you a better player. It's just a small bonus and it won't change your game experience. It may just give you a little edge in the rare circumstances of a very even encounter. Usually in pvp you either stomp or get stomped; if I were you i'd spend that money on an artifact belt or weapon instead.

Well it gave me just under 5% deflect chance, that's actually pretty good and definitely makes a difference and then the extra little arm pen for dmg and the control res was worth it i think.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well it gave me just under 5% deflect chance, that's actually pretty good and definitely makes a difference and then the extra little arm pen for dmg and the control res was worth it i think.

I think you've just convinced me, certainly more beneficial to me than a couple of rank 8 deflect enchants!!
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I could not reroll into halfing. Looking at that small creepy creature is terrible lol))
    for combat HR i would recommend dragon born +2 con/ +2 dex. + 3%power and crit and +5% healing.
    1. Halfings are OP for PVP. But look is extremely ugly.
    2. geicos
    3. half or wood elfs for HR.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    I could not reroll into halfing. Looking at that small creepy creature is terrible lol))
    for combat HR i would recommend dragon born +2 con/ +2 dex. + 3%power and crit and +5% healing.
    1. Halfings are OP for PVP. But look is extremely ugly.
    2. geicos
    3. half or wood elfs for HR.

My halfling looks amazing! Lol and I actually notice a difference in pvp too. I am really glad I re-rolled now because they are a good race for pvp. As for dragonborn though I don't like the look of them, too big for my taste and they cost too much xD
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yoadoadyoadoad Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    PvP is dying. I wouldn't have changed my race just for it... Maybe if they would have fixed it