test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Potions Strategy for new players.

phrendonphrendon Member Posts: 92 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
1) What is your strategy for using potions? Do you remember to potion up? I usually only do before the final boss.
2) Do you use the coalesced potions? Which ones?

The 3 battle ready slots, I assume should have at least one heal potion in it. What are your other 2 slots used for? If you have a Tymora coin, then just one?

I only play 2 characters and they are both squishy. (a HR and a TR) so potion management is important to my survival. Can you offer any pointers. If I choose to consume only one coalesced potion, what should it be?

I come from a game that had 25 battle ready slots having only 3 is quite restrictive.
Post edited by phrendon on

Comments

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I have never ever bothered with those coalesced potions, they're just a pain in the bag. The PvE content is already too easy, such that a new character can outgear it really quickly. If I remember to pop my primary artifact, that's normally fine. Bosses die awfully fast, especially in mod 4, with the CW and SW situations anyway.

As regards other potions, I use them when I remember. You get so many from drops and leadership that you just take them when you feel like it, to keep on top of the bag space consumption :)
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Potions = gold or AD to me...

There was a time when I would have a huge buff/potion bar before a boss fight, but I seldom use them nowadays.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Those things really don't do a thing. Though, the food item that gives 3% crit and 5% severity is not too shabby.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I personally can never bother to remember to use those coal potions. They're just too inconvenient with thier duration and having to wait until the right time to use them. Its hard enough for me to use potins all the way on the 5 6 keys, I have to stop moving to use my left hand mid fight to go over to press it, where I may need to dodge or something at any moment.

In the end, I just never succeeded in remembering to use them. They just using up space in my bags and belt.

The other potions and elixers I use sometimes. Thats different, because they are pre-emptive. Use them before a fight, compared to the coal potions where you have to use them during a fight. (unless you want to start out with a bursting head start)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some of the summer festival foods are very cheap compared to potions and offer decent returns.

While it might not be worth buying them for AD you can use any spare petals you might have to get the bound ones from the Vendor.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Two of my potion slots are filled with Tymora's coin and Pocket Pet, so that leaves only one slot for the healing potion. On my alt, I only have the coin, so I keep a major healing potion and either iceforge healing elixir or a rejuvenation potion there for smaller heals.

I sometimes remember to use the other potions from my inventory in a dungeon but not often. Ands ometimes I remember that potion of heroism exists, go buy them, then find out that they replace my healing potion on the potion slot when used, instead of consuming one unit like a normal potion (usually when I'm in a middle of the fight and desperately need a healing potion), get angry and sell them in AH, then repeat this process a month later.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I pretty much use healing potions and the fey stat potion only. I use the others only if I'm waiting for the rest of the party and am decide to use them just because.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I typically use the "long-duration" potions from my inventory before the final boss fights - gives me a little bit extra that just might make a difference. I never use the 20-second duration potions - sell them on the AH or donate them to my guild.

My belt slots are too valuable for those potions - I have Doohickey in one slot, a healing potion in the second and Tymora's coin in the third. I have the pocket pet too, but I just set up a keybind to activate that from my inventory at the same time as I activate the coin (as their cooldowns are equally long).
    Hoping for improvements...
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm glad others use potions, I usually don't except for the very occasional healing potion.

So, as I saw above, potion = gold or AD.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I usually use Major pots before a boss, along with a stat food of some sort. On two characters, I have a pet, coin, heal pot. On others I have 3 heal pots.

Those coal pots are terrible. I discard them as I get them.
  • tagnusironsordtagnusironsord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I usually use potions before the boss fight, too. As previously mentioned, if it gives me the little bit extra that I need, great. They do no good at all in my pack, so I may as well use them.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    Those coal pots are terrible. I discard them as I get them.

3 coalesced potions = 1+ gold at vendor

I don't use the long-term buff potions except for dungeon runs. I do try to remember to use the black ice elixers on characters using black ice gear, but forget a lot.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • abishai3705abishai3705 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    On most of my toons I use Tymora's coin, Greater Stone of Health (for the "Oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!" moments) and greater healing pots... Although nowa dayz I group with the GFs so they can drink the potions while I stand in the red :D
    Abishai the Blessed - 60 Sun Elf DC
    Shazaam - 60 Tiefling CW
    Link - 60 Menzoberranzan Renegade (Drow) HR
    Naruto - 60 Half-Orc TR
    Moose - 60 Human GWF
    T-Wrecks 60 Half-Orc GF
    Drag King - 60 Dragonborn SW
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On my bar i usually have 1-2 stacks of greater health, and a stone of health. When i start a dungeon i pop all 5 greater potions because they all work simultaneously, essentially giving you +130 to 6 stats not too shabby, then depending on the boss might pop the major ones giving you +200.
  • urkmockingjayurkmockingjay Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    The way people tend to rush through dungeons with the go go go mentality, I usually forget to use them.

Now if it is a group that we made of friends and all of us agreed to do a full clear of the instance, and are marginally geared for that instance, then potions and food can help.

I would rather do one run with friends and work out a dungeon, and do it with what he have working for us, than a best in slot speed / greed run any day.

To many people forget to slow down and smell the roses.

XD
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While leveling up, the potions you get form the leveling box, or that drop randomly from enemies, is usually enough for me. Once I hit 60, I mainly use the 4K or 6K potions from the green & blue leadership chests of goods, (mainly gotten from alts). I also accumulate lots of the 8.5K potions from the campaigns, as I tend to use characters or companions that can heal.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just use the IWD healing potion for healing now. The coalescent potions from IWD I completely forget about, I just vendored them all to make space. I always have 99 stacks of the basic power/defense/crit etc. But only tend to use them at boss fights. Only potions I really use. The festival food is nice though. Just have never found any of them other than a healing potion to be needed or warranted a reason to be slotted.

PS. My strategy for new players, healing potions only (if you have to purchase at all). The stat potions youll pick up enough from killing mobs. Every other potion is optional and rarely if ever needed.

Few I would suggest if you like pots. The fey ones (the healing and +1 stat, the +1stat is actually really nice). Festival foods are nice, heros feast i love for some random reason. Maybe the BI salve thing to save your BI gear from degrading. Thats all I can think of Id use if ever.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Pretty much the only buff potions I use are the potions of heroism from sharandar since they persist through death. My other 2 slots are a Llira's bell (looking to replace that actually as I use an augment companion now), and a stack of healing potions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.