test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

For a Neverwinter in Spanish

ludolfoludolfo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
as recommendation from arc support, I open this post.

*ENGLISH*

There will be Spanish version at some point?
Nevewinter has already served one year out of beta and is available in more languages ​​than when you started (English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Portuguese)

We have been forgotten? Spanish-speaking players are a big community.
I know people who do not play because they do not know other languages.
I personally prefer to play in my language but I defend to the English

Leave your opinions
Post edited by ludolfo on

Comments

• lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We appreciate your concern, however, due to the fact that our moderators do not speak Spanish, we require that all posts be made in English so they can be properly received and moderated. Thank you.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ludolfoludolfo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *English*

No problem, in English.

I appreciate you appreciate your interest in the post.

I do not understand you have to delete a message in Spanish.

and if that player only speaks Spanish? he may not know English.

In the message deleted, it was said about the need for some Spanish-speaking moderator to be able to go.
    edited August 2014
    ludolfo wrote: »
    *English*

No problem, in English.

I appreciate you appreciate your interest in the post.

I do not understand you have to delete a message in Spanish.

and if that player only speaks Spanish? he may not know English.

In the message deleted, it was said about the need for some Spanish-speaking moderator to be able to go.

Our rules specify that all posts be made in English, per the above statement. Our moderators do not speak Spanish. Therefore, in order to properly moderate this board, ALL posts must be made in English, without translations, as commonly used translation sites (such as Google) do not properly translate slang and certain colloquial words that may be used in a derogatory manner. It's known that you can post one thing in one language and something entirely different in another. I'm sorry that you disagree with this, but this is our rule. If you wish to further dispute the matter, please use the PM function of the board to send a PM to our Community Manager, Akromatik, or use the support website to file a Forums and Website ticket as we do not allow public discussion of moderation, per section V of Rules of Conduct.

Also, reposting moderated content is a violation of RoC as is the reposting of correspondence from Customer Service. I would suggest reviewing the posted Rules of Conduct.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Should have some spanish speaking forums that's a pretty common language to not be supported.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Should have some spanish speaking forums that's a pretty common language to not be supported.

Every translation and forum costs money. I'd assume someone did a cost/benefit analysis and didn't think it would be worth it.
  • agvaragvar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree to translate the game into Spanish, do not have to translate all the names of attacks, feats, weapons, costumes, enchantments, etc have no problem, I like more in English, but when reading their effects is quite annoying not understand 100% to serve, I can just get an idea, also for example the story or text that appear, I did not read them for the same, I really find it shameful that the game is translated prior to these Italian , Polish, Turkish, Portuguese, which if you search the internet a bit, do not have even half of people speaking it the Spanish, but hey this is here and in all games, the critical languages ??of all games are English, German and Russian, to play it safe which will attract more players, very well the initiative to put this post, but you know that since I've been playing are not the first and all have been lost by the forum and the safest they dont heed and if you ignore surely be here for a while, but not for you, but because some high office he pleases stop earning money and pay someone to translate.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I get the problem of not hablando espanol - it's hard to moderate if you can't read the language. But... with all due respect, Support directed him here to post about this, so it's sort of a slap in the fact to follow their direction and posting here only to be told to contact support... perhaps let's try and steer this conversation back to the game and not dwell on the forum -- that's what he wants to talk about.

So....... that said......

I always assumed there WAS a Spanish language version given all the other languages the game is translated into. Seems to me Spanish would at the top of the list, but certainly before most of the ones currently in use. As such, I would support a Spanish language version completely. Localization is no small task in a system this complex, but I think it would be a welcome addition for sure.
    edited August 2014
    He has not been told to contact support about this matter--but rather to contact support if he has issues with how the forum is moderated, as discussing such publicly is not allowed per section V, Rules of Conduct.

Nevertheless, reposting of moderated content is prohibited. This is the last public warning I will issue on the matter, and then I will be left with no recourse but to close this thread.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• capkokocapkoko Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think he was trying to tell that the game should be also translated to spanish not the fórum. Its pretty clear that the languaje on forum is english only and he will have to adapt. As a spanish i also want the posibility of translating the game on to spanish but its only a desire and cant force them to do.
  • agvaragvar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Apart from the spanish stuff -which I hope is a true translation, my spanish isn't good enough to judge- the problem is quite simple.
    If you don't speak the language of the game, don't play it or learn the language. I'm not asking for Dutch, Swedish, Romanian or Gaelic either.

I could ask the Korean server of a game I cannot mention to translate their game to English with the same arguments you use, but that doesn't change the fact they'll give me the finger.

Gaelic ?, Esperanto, Latin, Braille .... pathetic, I know enough English, but it would be easier in my language, respect your opinion, but you have no reason
    edited August 2014
    whats the problem? is the second languaje around the world
    edited August 2014
    That debate has been stomped into the ground and back again. It's not a matter of the number of speakers. It's the matter of demand for the game for a given language or demographic--and the numbers just don't support a Spanish localization. There isn't enough infrastructure in place for even high-speed internet, let alone gaming.

By that reasoning, there should definitely be a Mandarin Chinese version of the game, as that is the most widely spoken language in the world in terms of number of speakers. Yet there isn't...unless, of course, PWE went and made one for the Chinese market.

Like it or not, the company is going to follow where the money is...and at the present, the numbers don't support the Spanish-speaking market. It's not how many people speak Spanish. It's the matter of how many are interested in Neverwinter and play MMOs. Those are going to be the numbers that the company will look at.

Nor is it just Neverwinter. A lot of popular MMOs don't have Spanish localizations.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clearly PWE had to have done some market analysis to determine the languages choices. You don't choose Polish over Spanish (or Chinese) for no reason, especially since Spanish is MUCH easier to deal with technically than Polish is -Chinese is a whole other story of course. I support anything that would bring in a broader audience though.
    edited August 2014
    is spoken in 5 continents
    I understand that not having a Spanish-speaking market no need support in Spanish.

As I said in a previous message: I know people who do not play Neverwinter was not available in Spanish.

When I say "Spanish" I mean throughout the Spanish-speaking world.

There are 30 Spanish speaking countries.
    I understand that not everyone will market.
    I refer not only to Spain, I'm not saying that.
    I do not see that Spanish is compared with other languages.
    how many languages ​​in the world that are spoken in 30 countries?
  • ionvnegativoionvnegativo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    im from south america and yes most of ppl dont play some games because there isnt a spanish version, sometimes i cant undestand what exacty and ability means and thats sad, i've met ramdomly with spanish speakers in pve pugs, and is nice to understand all that they say, spanish speakers community is spread thats why they look invisible, but there are many, we need some NV love too.
    edited August 2014
    is spoken in more than three continents
    I understand that not having a Spanish-speaking market no need support in Spanish.

As I said in a previous message: I know people who do not play Neverwinter was not available in Spanish.

When I say "Spanish" I mean throughout the Spanish-speaking world.

There are 30 Spanish speaking countries.
    I understand that not everyone will market.
    I refer not only to Spain, I'm not saying that.
    I do not see that Spanish is compared with other languages.
    how many languages ​​in the world that are spoken in 30 countries?

I'll answer that with this question: How many of those 30 countries have the infrastructure in place to support high-speed internet that would be required for Neverwinter, apart from a few dense population centers?

Again, it's not the number of speakers at the heart of the matter. It's the number of those speakers that live in areas with the correct infrastructure in place to support Neverwinter and would actually be interested in playing Neverwinter.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

edited August 2014
    I'll answer that with this question: How many of those 30 countries have the infrastructure in place to support high-speed internet that would be required for Neverwinter, apart from a few dense population centers?

Again, it's not the number of speakers at the heart of the matter. It's the number of those speakers that live in areas with the correct infrastructure in place to support Neverwinter and would actually be interested in playing Neverwinter.

3 countries, for example CANADA, USA, SPAIN, dont tell "correct infrastructure".

I understand that means spending money, but there are communities that do free translations.

It seems you do not want to have version in Spanish ...
    And I really do not give importance to your answers, because it seems that ... you do not want to have version in Spanish.

I will continue to encourage Spanish speakers to write here
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If there is a large enough community I see no reason why not have a spanish localization. To translate the game does not require that the country have a high speed internet or good infrastructure. The servers will still be hosted where they are now, that wouldn't change. The only thing that would change is that spanish would be added to the list of languages you could install. If the spanish speaker wants to play from a significant distance from the server and can either deal with the lag or has found a way around it, then that's on THEM, not PWE. Let's get the game translated into more languages eventually.

I may only speak english, but I can't imagine the annoyance I would feel if I could not play my favorite game because I couldn't read or understand the language it was in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited August 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    If there is a large enough community I see no reason why not have a spanish localization. To translate the game does not require that the country have a high speed internet or good infrastructure. The servers will still be hosted where they are now, that wouldn't change. The only thing that would change is that spanish would be added to the list of languages you could install. If the spanish speaker wants to play from a significant distance from the server and can either deal with the lag or has found a way around it, then that's on THEM, not PWE. Let's get the game translated into more languages eventually.

I may only speak english, but I can't imagine the annoyance I would feel if I could not play my favorite game because I couldn't read or understand the language it was in.

That´s rigth!
    edited August 2014
    zshikara wrote: »

It still comes down to where the money is. Like it or not, number of speakers or the size of the community doesn't even factor into the decision. I'm pretty sure that Mandarin Chinese, in terms of number of speakers, is larger than all the current languages that NW is currently localized for combined.
    3 countries, for example CANADA, USA, SPAIN, dont tell "correct infrastructure".

I understand that means spending money, but there are communities that do free translations.

It seems you do not want to have version in Spanish ...
    And I really do not give importance to your answers, because it seems that ... you do not want to have version in Spanish.

I will continue to encourage Spanish speakers to write here

Firstly, my personal opinion matters not. It isn't a matter of "not wanting a Spanish server". But you really have to look at it from a common sense point of view.

Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia...not all Spanish speaking countries are in North America....Mexico perhaps is the only largely Spanish speaking country in North America, yet is also largely rural and underdeveloped outside of a few population centers.

I might want to point out that many Spanish-speaking players who live in Canada and the United States know English as a second language. Therefore, in those markets, that would make a Spanish localization largely a luxury, rather than a requirement--and those markets are significantly larger than that of Spain.

So, when you point out the number of people who speak Spanish, are you including people from those countries, or ONLY those from Canada/USA? Because if you're only using those numbers to support your argument for a Spanish version, and then arguing that Spanish is the second most spoken language....then I'm sorry but your facts are skewed.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014

What I'm reading is they dont offer the game because no one want's to play it, and no one wants to play it because they dont offer it.

Also, the US is a global backwater when it comes to high speed internet.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    edited August 2014
    I said that is spoken in 30 countries, the 30 countries not speak it
    misrepresent my words.
    one question:
    the money is in Italy? or In Turkey? for example

your argument has no weight

I think you're thinking that there are only four Spanish-speaking players play Neverwinter. That's a mistake. And many others who do not play because they are not available in your language

unless you have done a market study that may have a look and I'm wrong, I'm a very consistent person.
    edited August 2014
    I said that is spoken in 30 countries, the 30 countries not speak it
    misrepresent my words.
    one question:
    the money is in Italy? or In Turkey? for example

your argument has no weight

I think you're thinking that there are only four Spanish-speaking players play Neverwinter. That's a mistake. And many others who do not play because they are not available in your language

unless you have done a market study that may have a look and I'm wrong, I'm a very consistent person.

No offense, but now you're overgeneralizing, as you have no idea what I'm basing my numbers on. Have I done a market study personally? No. But I'm fairy sure that Cryptic has, as they have with all their other localizations, and what that study revealed to them simply does not support a Spanish localization at the present time. And, as I have stated before, many other popular MMORPGs do NOT currently have a Spanish localization.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

edited August 2014
    other popular MMORPGs do NOT have a Spanish localization.

If I tell you want some?
    These are the games that are generating more money curiously
    I do not say because they have Spanish version but ... relationship?
    In my opinion this related because there are more players
    Is the reality
    edited August 2014
    If I tell you want some?
    These are the games that are generating more money curiously
    I do not say because they have Spanish version but ... relationship?
    In my opinion this related because there are more players
    Is the reality

But again, it's not about the number of speakers. *sigh* Just because a language has umpteen thousand speakers does not mean that the company finds it profitable to cater to that language by devoting the time and resources into creating a localization for that language.

I'm truly sorry if you disagree with that point but that's ultimately how business works. They will follow where they believe the money is. Right now it's not in a Spanish localization. Will that change with time? Perhaps. But not for the present.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

edited August 2014
    Remember that with localization they need to have someone translate all the stuff for each update. Even if you only pay that person 30k a year, that's probably getting close to 100k ish by the time you add in all the benefits of health insurance, 401k, a cubicle, computer for the cubicle, etc etc etc. And that will continue indefinitely as long as they support that language.
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Remember that with localization they need to have someone translate all the stuff for each update. Even if you only pay that person 30k a year, that's probably getting close to 100k ish by the time you add in all the benefits of health insurance, 401k, a cubicle, computer for the cubicle, etc etc etc. And that will continue indefinitely as long as they support that language.

And a free hamster.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

edited August 2014

What are u saying??
    you just start a business in 5 segs, amazing!
    im talking about translation only that. there´s comunities of volunteers to make translation...... only thinks of money, even a free upgrade
    edited August 2014
    What are u saying??
    you just start a business in 5 segs, amazing!
    im talking about translation only that. there´s comunities of volunteers to make translation...... only thinks of money, even a free upgrade

demonstrate great professionalism
    Language barrier is a little thick here because I'm not positive what you are saying, but I think you're trying to say they should have a volunteer translate it instead of an employee. Bad idea. Seems like once a year I hear about a product that gets something translated wrong by a slighted employee to embarrass the company. Having a volunteer do it, when you have no way of checking it in house, is PR suicide.
    edited August 2014
    Language barrier is a little thick here because I'm not positive what you are saying, but I think you're trying to say they should have a volunteer translate it instead of an employee. Bad idea. Seems like once a year I hear about a product that gets something translated wrong by a slighted employee to embarrass the company. Having a volunteer do it, when you have no way of checking it in house, is PR suicide.

True, there's a reason that many companies do not rely on volunteer work for their products. It's called liability concerns.

The bottom line is that this is Cryptic's decision, and at the present they have decided not to. No amount of begging will change that until and unless Cryptic--and Cryptic alone--sees that the benefit of creating a Spanish localization outweighs the cost of making one. They're not going to just do it "for the love of the game", unfortunately. It's a business decision. Cost versus benefit.

I really don't know any other way of making this point.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

This discussion has been closed.