test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

From zero to hero - a detailed guide for making AD as a new player

laks0nlaks0n Member Posts: 111 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hello everyone. I tried to make this thread earlier today, but after realising I've been writing a novel instead of a guide I scrapped it. But I can't shake off my wish to help new players get trough the hard start that realy bumms some people out of the game. So here we are again :)

This guide is meant for people that have just started, but know some basics of the game, like what salvage is, where is lord protector, what is the gateway etc. I'm playing for 2 months and so at this moment I have somewhere between 10 and 15 million AD Worth of zen/assets/currency. Most of my gains I have made trough the AD daily cap, but there are some methods I use that are more complicated. You can do everything without spending a dime, but it is a lot easier if you have 10 dollars to spare. Just to get 1k zen and the first time buyers pack. There are 4 categories I would mark as important, and the nominees are:

1. The daily AD cap
2. Professions
3. Dungeon runs
4. The AH

1. The daily AD cap

My main source of income. I will go into most detail here, and it is the most important one in this guide, but that doesn't mean that others are obsolete. There are tons of ways to get raw AD. Most of them are accessible to players right after level 11. Trough this method I make from 20-50k AD every day. With just 30 minutes of play. And I dont count leadership into this. I have some favored methods of getting raw AD, and ones that have proven to work best (for me) are Dailies, praying and salvage.

1.1 Daily quests

Neverwinter has many of them, covering every aspect of the game. You just finished your first dungeon of the day? Here is 3000 raw AD to celebrate! You are a PvP dominator? Here is 4000 from our sponsors, and some glory to boot! The best part is they start at low levels, so you can start right away, but the realy good stuff starts at level 60. Our protector, Lord Neverember, gives you daily quests that give 2000-8000 raw AD and are very easy to do (well, he did rebuild a whole city right out of his pocket, this is nothing for him) And most of them overlap with regular dailies that Rhix gives, so you kill 2 flies with 1 stone. The ammount of AD you make trough this method is tied to your will and gametime. I only do GG dailies and PvP. That is 2000 for GG PvE, 2000 for GG PvP, 4000 for 4 domination matches and 4000 for a domination win. Plus you get 1500 glory and PvP seals. Everything doable within an hour. My guild is affiliated with Luskans, so we have an easier time getting into GG PvP then Delzoun explorers guilds. So I can just go into GG a few mins before iron tabernacle ends, you can just kill 1 duergar to qualify for a share, but you will get quest credit if you are simply in the zone when it ends. No share that way. As for the PvP part, I get into que around 8-6 minutes before end, for a fast run, and Luskans win 90% of those so that is a bonus. Free coins and glory :D. I do this on 2 of my toons and that is my limit for now, I do not have the means to log in every 3 hours to keep doing them. Try different dailies out, see what works for you.

1.2 praying

A very popular thing to do for any neverwinter player. With a 30 hour timer and a 20 hour reset, and 3 rewards per day, praying is a very popular way to make some free AD, as well as many other usefull items (some of them quite expensive, up to 500.000 AD) This is where those 10 dollars I mentioned come in: Character slots. With 1000 zen you can buy 4-6 slots, even 8 if you catch a sale. At level 60 you get a coupon from a neverwinter lockbox you get trough mail, which disscounts this particular purchase. In adition to coins, you get experience, raw AD, and consumable potions (which are random and can be acquired every hour), all based on your level. You get only 1 of each coins no matter your level.Your first "pray of the day" yields ardent coin, celestial coin, a 15 minute stat buff, a bigger raw AD reward and experience. Second and third yield a stat buff, a smaller raw AD reward and experience, also less than the first. Everything after gives you a stat buff and a chance of a potion, that exists in every prayer. Praying only takes a second, and I do it on 7 characters, which gives big rewards. What you want to buy with your coins is your own choice, since every reward is a good investment.

1.3 Salvage

Again the character slots come into play here. I do daily quests with 2 of my characters, and use this method on other 5. You get a 24k AD refinement pool that is 100% usable as soon as you enter PE from the tutorial. Most "higher tier" players get a lot of epics from dungeons that they have no use for, and they do not have alts to salvage them, so they post them on AH. I have seen epics that give 8000 on salvage be sold for 4000. That is 4000 free AD just for using the AH. I use 2 tools for this: the salvage table, and a NW database.

The salvage tabble is on NW wiki, and it gives you how much raw AD you get from salvaging specific item types. It is differnt for heads, rings, feet and so on. Also for T1 and T2 items. The list can be found here.

There is no official NW database, not at this moment. It is realy a handicap for all players, but there are unofficial ones. I use them to quickly check whether an item is T1 or T2, and decide if it is worth buying. The database can be found here.

2. Professions

I put daily cap methods in front of professions because they are game engaging. Professions are a much more passive way of making AD, but they are easy to access, and once you invest a bit into them they can bring you millions. The gateway is the best way to manage your professions, since you change characters with 1 click, it has a better filter then ingame does, and you do it from your browser. With 9 unlockable slots, it takes some time to unlock them all, and most new players will get 5-6 of them unlocked, while the rest take some time and investment. There are 2 main categories: Leadership and everything else.

2.1 Leadership

A favorite to most. Most tasks in this profession give raw AD, which is why it is so popular. You click once, wait for it, and you get free AD. It has the longest tasks, so you can put a 12 hour task, go to sleep, and it will work all night for you. The higher the level, the more rewarding the tasks are. The downside is that every task can be slotted a maximum of 3 times at once, meaning you cannot have 6 of your leadership assets doing the most lucrative jobs at once. Prety much self explaining, head over to gateway and check it out!

2.2 Other professions

Takes a lot more effort, gives a lot more AD. And it is already refined, because they make items that you sell on AH. This is not recommended for new players because it takes a lot of time and invested AD before they begin to give good AD back. There are some low level items that sell for 200-500 AD, like shirts and pants, so it is a possible choice, but they have to be managed every 20-40 minutes, so unless you have a nice desk job and spare time to do it, leadership is a better choice overall. But once you get good assets and mats, you can make items that yield a 100k+ profit. I made over half of my fortune this way, but it was impossible before I got AD to invest in it.

3. Dungeon runs

Also a lvl 60 only with some noticeable gear. But one of most lucrative. Tier 2 boss drops give "bind on equip" items which can be sold on AH (or salvaged using our previous method, which gives you a full price instead of a minus of what you paid for it on AH), and items go up to 1 million AD in value. You need to get some luck, but it realy takes only 1 drop to take you a long way.

4. The AH

Anyone who has played an MMO has seen one of these. There are a lot of great guides about this, so I wong go into detail. A guide that is praised by many and has a lot of in-detail info is Trace-s-Guide-to-AD-Creation-and-Wealth-Building, which also explains some very advanced methods that you guys and girls might like. The only downside? The fierce competition, and a lot of time and effort invested standing next to AH.

That concludes our begginers AD guide. There are many other ways and methods to make AD, but most of them are out of reach for a person that starts with 0 AD. I made this guide with a purpose of giving you the fastest possible start, and included some tips on how to invest the AD you just got, instead of wasting it like I did at some points. As soon as you start making your own fortune you will start making your own ways of increasing it. But following this guide it will make it go a lot faster. AD making is like a snowball, hard to start, but once it gets rolling it just keeps getting bigger. Follow these guidelines, and you will be able to reach the top of this game, something that many have tried to advertise as "impossible without real money", but lucky for us, and thanks to the developers that made it possible, I have proven them wrong. Best of luck to you!
Post edited by laks0n on

Comments

• Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is a good basis to start from. I prefer Leadership first and then salvaging to fill out the rest. Since leadership, the daily quests, and salvaging all give you raw AD you are capped at 24k per character this way and so I'd rather have the easiest method (least effort invovled) of gaining AD in play first and proceeding from there. You spoke of how you like the daily quests better then leadership because of the engagement value but i find that the daily quests are boring and would much rather spend my time in a dungeon if i want to generate AD from outside the AH
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Only thing I'd say is that the rad from playing is more a nice bonus to the true reason of doing it which is the coins.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Very nice guide for beginners. Can I add a reference to it in the guide I have in my signature please?

ofcourse :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    scathias wrote: »
    This is a good basis to start from. I prefer Leadership first and then salvaging to fill out the rest. Since leadership, the daily quests, and salvaging all give you raw AD you are capped at 24k per character this way and so I'd rather have the easiest method (least effort invovled) of gaining AD in play first and proceeding from there. You spoke of how you like the daily quests better then leadership because of the engagement value but i find that the daily quests are boring and would much rather spend my time in a dungeon if i want to generate AD from outside the AH

Like I said, people have to try out and see what fits them best. Someone that is very limited in time but wants to make some quick AD can't realy do many dungeons, but he can do GG PvE and maybe PvP.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A note on 2.2, the cheapest buy-in for making gear in profesions is platesmithing. 2 reasons for that. First because the assets are cheaper; partly because the GF has been somewhat unpopular, also because they cross over with weaponsmithing and people sell them after making dread/ formorian MHs. Second because the Gemmed Exquisite Gambeson is available on a R2 result so you can make them with rares only. Personally I set up my platesmithing and used the profits to move into leather and cloth (which also cross over on assets with each other).
  • Options
    dearghargildearghargil Member Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    One thing that I rarely see mentioned is to make use of Perfect Worlds Offers page to get some free ZEN (I try to do a couple surveys a day), you can get enough ZEN to get some free Enchanted Keys each week, or save it up and buy stuff from the ZEN market either to use or sell on the AH.
    It is mentioned in the guide you link to (all the way down at #24) but I think its worth mentioning right here. YMMV but I find it very worthwhile.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The peanut labs owes me like 3k zen and I will never purchase anything through them again.

Ive tried opening up ticket after ticket with them and I never , EVER get a update to them.

Ive given up and marked my self a fool for believe it would work.

I think many of us have had similiar experiences. I guess if you want to do the surveys they do seem to work, its just the offers, never seem to pan out.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    One thing that I rarely see mentioned is to make use of Perfect Worlds Offers page to get some free ZEN (I try to do a couple surveys a day), you can get enough ZEN to get some free Enchanted Keys each week, or save it up and buy stuff from the ZEN market either to use or sell on the AH.
    It is mentioned in the guide you link to (all the way down at #24) but I think its worth mentioning right here. YMMV but I find it very worthwhile.

this is a very good thing, I will add it when I have the time. Unfortunately, as previously said, it is available only to a small group of people, mainly US residents. Also PW has protection against public US proxies, so dont even try to fool them.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Only thing I'd say is that the rad from playing is more a nice bonus to the true reason of doing it which is the coins.

Yes, but no. If you are refering to grym coins, they are hard to comeby if you que 6-8 minutes before end and dont have a 110% mount. If your score is below half of the top player, you get no rewards. And without a 110% mount, bases get caped before you get to them.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Even so you can generate a lot more coin on a Lusk toon. If you are really gung-ho you can PVP twice. And there are always lots of FC speed runs because we lose so often. My new toons always go lusk as it is the fast track to gaining glory because L60 PVP before you have enough glory for a tenacity set is slow torture.