test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are epic dungeons GS so low

emt27emt27 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
I think that the GS listed should be a target area you are looking to achieve prior to "q"ing for an event. If it show 9.6k, you should be able to take a team of five 9.6k gs characters and complete the dungeon (with difficulty)..

This is not the case, I am a new level 60 DC with a 10.6 gs and joined a pug requiring 9.6k gs... should be easy I thought.. infact I was one of the lower scores, with only 1 player 9.8 gs. I went through 25 healing potions, 8 injury kits, and many wasted hours trying to complete, but just left as I was being killed by 2 hits from a minor enemy (not a boss, but MINOR enemy). IMPOSSIBLE
Say something relavant or hold your tongue
Post edited by emt27 on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pretty much all the Epic Dungeons CAN be done at minimum GS levels with a competent party (apart from maybe epic ToS, DV or CN).

Given that a set of full blue items is relatively cheap for all classes apart from SW, Ranks 4s drop like candy at level 60, and you can pick up blue gemmed shirts/pants for 10-20K each, no-one should be at less than 9.5K GS anyway and that is without boons.

However, the fact that most people simply rely on GS (and glitching) rather than teamwork and skill to do dungeons causes these issues.
  • abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Because 1 year ago, that was the GS we had. And we cleared the dungeons with that GS
    Dr. Phil
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Well, GS is the biggest lie.

Don't even get me started on CW's that use split DL, FI sets to achieve 17K+ GS. I'd take a 13K CW with a full set of HV any day over these clowns.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    GS requirements are misleading.

All dungeons are however possible to complete at intended GS if you have Greater armor/wep enchants and stuff such as HP stones etc.

All dungeons are possible to complete at intended GS by a team of voice-coordinated, experienced players that have completed it hundred times before, even without the above mentioned items.

Which dungeon were you trying to run though?
    edited August 2014
    abecassis wrote: »
    Because 1 year ago, that was the GS we had. And we cleared the dungeons with that GS

You can't compare then to now. The mechanics were a bit different.

The other issue with GS and how the dungeons are set up is that you will NOT be able to do the dungeons with the minimum GS without a proper build and rotation. I can out damage 15K CWs/GWFs etc on a 9K CW due to understanding how to set up a proper build and how to use a proper encounter rotation.

You can't exactly expect the majority of newcomers to the came to have an optimized build and understand a proper rotation. Thus, the issue with having such a low GS limit is it causes most of these folks to get frustrated as the dungeons feel impossible to them.

Maybe what they need to do is establish a higher GS minimum, UNLESS you have completed the dungeon on at least one character on your account.
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Still new so I won't comment on teamwork... and I have only tried one epic... but with that said

We had some crazy players there, one had 14+ gs (others were high 12 and one 13 something) ... like I said, I was the 2nd to the lowest gear score..

I healed, buffed, any power that came available I hit... I dodged, ran, raised people, buffed some more, and then died... again and again.

I would think if a team is 3 points on averge above the gs, that it doesn't matter how you approach it, as long as you approach the group of enemies together it should be easy.. but again I am new, perhaps with some black ice stuff, epic companion, and 14+ gs I will be able to complete a dungeon run in an hour...
    edited August 2014
    GS requirements are misleading.

All dungeons are however possible to complete at intended GS if you have Greater armor/wep enchants and stuff such as HP stones etc.

All dungeons are possible to complete at intended GS by a team of voice-coordinated, experienced players that have completed it hundred times before, even without the above mentioned items.

Which dungeon were you trying to run though?

I would love to see you complete ToS with a minimum GS party. I don't believe you will have enough DPS to out damage her heals.
    edited August 2014
    emt27 wrote: »
    Still new so I won't comment on teamwork... and I have only tried one epic... but with that said

We had some crazy players there, one had 14+ gs (others were high 12 and one 13 something) ... like I said, I was the 2nd to the lowest gear score..

I healed, buffed, any power that came available I hit... I dodged, ran, raised people, buffed some more, and then died... again and again.

I would think if a team is 3 points on averge above the gs, that it doesn't matter how you approach it, as long as you approach the group of enemies together it should be easy.. but again I am new, perhaps with some black ice stuff, epic companion, and 14+ gs I will be able to complete a dungeon run in an hour...

Sometimes you need to be very careful of these 14K+ GS players. Especially if they are pugging T2s. Most often they bought their gear and don't really know how to play their class or have a proper build. They often achieve these high GS's using split sets.

As a healer (it sounds like you are playing a DC), you want to get the T1 High Prophet set (for group play) for solo some folks prefer the Miracle Healer T2 set. That (High Prophet set) is tied with High Vizier (CW set) for best set in the game. It allows you to debuff the mobs increasing group damage by about 30% with the HP 4 piece bonus alone.
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chrcore wrote: »
    Sometimes you need to be very careful of these 14K+ GS players. Especially if they are pugging T2s. Most often they bought their gear and don't really know how to play their class or have a proper build. They often achieve these high GS's using split sets.

As a healer (it sounds like you are playing a DC), you want to get the T1 High Prophet set. That is tied with High Vizier (CW set) for best set in the game. It allows you to debuff the mobs increasing group damage by about 30% with the HP 4 piece bonus alone.

Nice... very helpful, thanks
    edited August 2014
    I would love to see you complete ToS with a minimum GS party. I don't believe you will have enough DPS to out damage her heals.

I would do that as a challenge, for AD.

What actually counts is party comp and coordination.

My perfect vorpal will also help, and it's not counting towards GS. Add a p/terror, a GPF in the mix, and we suddenly have enough DPS :)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

My perfect vorpal will also help, and it's not counting towards GS. Add a p/terror, a GPF in the mix, and we suddenly have enough DPS :)

I think the whole point of such a challenge is to do it WITHOUT such extras as Perfect Enchants and non-GS boosting companions, so it is a fair representation of what a standard min GS player would have.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014

All you can do is worry about yourself in the end.

Class mechanics have changed even since Ive been here (pre mod2) and some exploits were also closed that were around for quite awhile.

Read through Kaelics Guide at <removed>, it will teach you everything you need to know about being a DC and then some.

At lower levels, concentrate on healing, Aseal, Forgemasters Flame, SB and Ashield, Buffing is more better later, when people no longer need your heals.

A dead dc is of no use either, get your defense up. 2k minimum.

Im serious though.. that guide, is the best in this game for a single class.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not sure which epic it was... the one with those brain creatures...

Dread Vault is the last dungeon in the game you want to enter. Just ignore it.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I think the whole point of such a challenge is to do it WITHOUT such extras as Perfect Enchants and non-GS boosting companions, so it is a fair representation of what a standard min GS player would have.

Yes you're right. It might still be possible, yet quite difficult. I wouldn't venture with at least a Lesser SF in such a challenge.
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lesser frost enchant + sunburst enhances your survival exponentially as a cleric. it's pretty much how i was able to survive mad dragon in pugs since randoms tend to have issues protecting the cleric and staying nearby for astral shield or even being on the other side of the room which forces me to run back and forth without charging divinity.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes be careful, many guys playing out there are buying their gear first and then try the dungeons and power level, so they got no exp in their hands and no skills either.

I was having a good laugh, when the warlocks came out and on the 2nd or 3rd day i saw players in full T2 set and with completely purple or even orange artifacts. LOL Fingers away from such a player, what did he do, bought the 2 power lvl items and the complete Dead Ring quest item and there you go and spent a half fortune on being with over 17K+ GS. Don't expect too much from these kind.

Personally i don't give a penny about GS, it's only a number for me, yes mixing gears and power skills, which give higher GS is an easy trick and of course some classes have better choices with this, DCs and CWs have to rely more on sets, while others can mix better, but it won't make a player better.

I have to agree what is written above, the minimum GS should be changed with some 2K+ requirement. I have never seen a 8300 GS player finish ToS or DV. Even some higher GS players have their problems with them, if they aren't a good skilled PUG party. It is so hard to say to fellow guildies or players, who are new to the game, that he or she shouldn't come to these dungeons, because he or she will surely fail, they get sad or angry at you, so most of the time i turn down such an offer, better to avoid some bad feelings.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As a healer (it sounds like you are playing a DC), you want to get the T1 High Prophet set (for group play) for solo some folks prefer the Miracle Healer T2 set. That (High Prophet set) is tied with High Vizier (CW set) for best set in the game. It allows you to debuff the mobs increasing group damage by about 30% with the HP 4 piece bonus alone.

It is actually a bit more complicated. When you run with a really well-geared greoup (say, average GS of 15K+), nobody is going to want a DC for healing - where the DC really shines is in buffing/debuffing- We can in some circumstances increase the DPS of the other group members by close to 100% - of course, a DC focusing on buffing/debuffing will dever do much damage, but good groups understand that. To be able to give those massive buffs/debuffs, you need the following: High Prophet Armor set (T1 set - the best one for high-end content), Plaguefire or Terror weapon enchant, proper feats (see Kaelac's guide) and proper powers (Hallowed ground, Astral Shield and Divine Glow in particular). You may even want to select companions that help with buffing/debuffing, like the Rust monster.

Don't even think about DPS when in a group like that. However, when you are in a low-geared group (around 10K, for example), things are different - it may be more important to be able to keep the group alive, so in those circumstances you may need to focus on healing).

Also, when doing HEs, you want to maximize your healing, and that means different armour, weapon and powers - even different companions.

Finally when soloing, the HP set is just fine, but you would typically swap the Astral Shield out for Daunting Light.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    well, chrcore has a very true answer about the required gs that is a lie. Even in Star Trek online they have released new (at that time) 2 new "dungeons" ,the Hives space and ground and were/still may be impossible to finish and ppl were quitting the instance after few minutes of play and deaths. From all the online games id say Cryptic has very painful dungeons .

For a better chance to survive for everyone , add to the default GS required, 4 or 5 or 6k :
    5700 + 3.5k = 8.5k minimum GS each player should be fine
    6800 + 4k = 10.5k minumum GS each player
    8300 + 4.5k = 12.8k minimum GS each player
    9200 + 5k = 14.2k minimum GS each player
    10500 + 5.5k = 16k minimum GS each player

When i was at your GS ~10k i was doing lots of 5700. The 6800 very rarely after 12k, but never the 8300 until i reached 13k. You can do a test run but might be a fail.. Done many cloack towers, cragmire crypt runs ,sold or decomposed/salved gear , saved AD , bought a piece or 2 from AH of the wanted T1 set.
    I have tried valindra (10500 required) at 13.5k as tanker but it was a fail ,not only because of me ,its because ppl in party may have lower gs than u in random party.
    Now im at 14k ,working to upgrade, and i wont go to malabog 9200 or valindra 10500 to soon.The malabog 9200 dungeon is still locked for me. Ill stick with lower instances such as 6800 or 8300 and sell drops if any, save AD to buy a good enchant for a set piece and so on.
    As you might see on zone chat in Enclave there are many requests to join to end game dungeons (valindra 10500) but only the "15++" are wanted.
    I know its hard to make some gear but wanting higher lvl dungeons will make u use lots of consumables, brings lots of fails ,time wasted ,etc so u need to progress with small steps. Be patient and do lots of low epic runs.
    Even if u save AD to buy gems or gear , later in time youll get drops to sell or salvage the unwanted bound and recover your money.

list of dungeons here http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dungeon_Delve

As a cleric you should avoid the fight with mobs stay behind party and heal, u might get agro from healing but run around or move until someone will take care of that mob.
    I prefer a healing cleric behind me, alive , better than a dead (attacker) kamikaze cleric ahead.
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Because they do not want to lock out a lot of casual players from content
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Almost no one "cleared the dungeon" at that GS, 1 year ago, most groups glitched the dungeon or did run-to-campfire tricks, most of which have been fixed by now.

So much revisionist history...
  • dualisticdualistic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    criss11 wrote: »
    well, chrcore has a very true answer about the required gs that is a lie. Even in Star Trek online they have released new (at that time) 2 new "dungeons" ,the Hives space and ground and were/still may be impossible to finish and ppl were quitting the instance after few minutes of play and deaths. From all the online games id say Cryptic has very painful dungeons .

For a better chance to survive for everyone , add to the default GS required, 4 or 5 or 6k :
    5700 + 3.5k = 8.5k minimum GS each player should be fine
    6800 + 4k = 10.5k minumum GS each player
    8300 + 4.5k = 12.8k minimum GS each player
    9200 + 5k = 14.2k minimum GS each player
    10500 + 5.5k = 16k minimum GS each player

When i was at your GS ~10k i was doing lots of 5700. The 6800 very rarely after 12k, but never the 8300 until i reached 13k. You can do a test run but might be a fail.. Done many cloack towers, cragmire crypt runs ,sold or decomposed/salved gear , saved AD , bought a piece or 2 from AH of the wanted T1 set.
    I have tried valindra (10500 required) at 13.5k as tanker but it was a fail ,not only because of me ,its because ppl in party may have lower gs than u in random party.
    Now im at 14k ,working to upgrade, and i wont go to malabog 9200 or valindra 10500 to soon.The malabog 9200 dungeon is still locked for me. Ill stick with lower instances such as 6800 or 8300 and sell drops if any, save AD to buy a good enchant for a set piece and so on.
    As you might see on zone chat in Enclave there are many requests to join to end game dungeons (valindra 10500) but only the "15++" are wanted.
    I know its hard to make some gear but wanting higher lvl dungeons will make u use lots of consumables, brings lots of fails ,time wasted ,etc so u need to progress with small steps. Be patient and do lots of low epic runs.
    Even if u save AD to buy gems or gear , later in time youll get drops to sell or salvage the unwanted bound and recover your money.

list of dungeons here http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dungeon_Delve

As a cleric you should avoid the fight with mobs stay behind party and heal, u might get agro from healing but run around or move until someone will take care of that mob.
    I prefer a healing cleric behind me, alive , better than a dead (attacker) kamikaze cleric ahead.

That's WAY too much, there's no way you need 10k for t1 content,that's ridiculous, it's easily completed with a PUG of players around 8-9k GS.
    Seriously, 12k gs is about what you get with avarage stones and a t2 set.Having the minimum gs requirment beeing the gear that you get from the dungeons you're trying to get it from is stuipid.. 10k is more than enough for most t2 dungeons.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    95% of the dungeons could be made with campfire death runs, glitching, pushing things off. Sitting on places where you could not be hurt and other exploits.
    You just can not compare a year ago to today. TRs could do actual damage. DCs could heal, even themselves, back then.
    Did I mention the exploiting?
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • agentorange9mmagentorange9mm Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'll agree, T1 outside of Mad Dragon (Requires target prioritization skills and a decent tank/kiter) and Wolf's den (Tank's need to know that just standing in Boss's red is bad; it spawns shadow wolves which are the true party killers) are pretty face roll, if you can't beat Cloak Tower with like 7k gs something is very very wrong.

But there are other factors that make gear score non reflective. Lots of classes, (GWFs and HRs in particular) have gotten bloated Gear scores from boons, companions, and just crazy green/ blue gear. Going into tier 2 dungeons, malabog's, and valindra's is a bad idea if your rocking greens and blues (doesn't stop people at all). Armor and Weapon enchanments aren't figured into Gear score and those make a huge difference as well.

In ye olde days the Gear Score requirements were slightly more accurate as a lot of the gear score inflation hadn't come into effect, so the people going in were slightly more likely to at least maybe rocking a tier 1/partial tier1 set going into the tier 2+ dungeons.

And never go to Epic dread vault with out a good CW or two. The glut of thoon hulk adds in that dungeon is sadistic, especially at the brain boss where they are spawning endlessly.
    edited August 2014

Just how many people starting up the game, meeting the minimum GS and first entering a T2 dungeon do you know that are equipped with P Vorps and L Soulforged?

The whole point is to see if it can be done with the minimum requirements.

Personally, I don't think they properly balanced the dungeons. Yes an experienced group (that have proper builds and proper rotations) could handle some of the dungeons, but just what % of the just meeting the GS requirement game population does that represent?

Do you really want these folks entering these dungeons and walking away feeling like it was a complete waste of time?
    edited August 2014
    And never go to Epic dread vault.

LOL, lets just leave it at that. That dungeon is a complete waste of time.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just how many people starting up the game, meeting the minimum GS and first entering a T2 dungeon do you know that are equipped with P Vorps and L Soulforged?

The whole point is to see if it can be done with the minimum requirements.

Personally, I don't think they properly balanced the dungeons. Yes an experienced group (that have proper builds and proper rotations) could handle some of the dungeons, but just what % of the just meeting the GS requirement game population does that represent?

Do you really want these folks entering these dungeons and walking away feeling like it was a complete waste of time?
    The point should be that you can enter and maybe clear the first boss at that level and get some generic loot that can help you clear the second over time. Personally I think they got it about right. Problem is that there is no current challenge for normal gs now.
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    And it can. I've done all of them with people about 1k over GS requirement except for ToS, MC and VT. The issue isn't gear score.
    The issue is experience.

To give you an example:
    My guild does training runs in T1 dungeons for new members, typically MD or GWD. The goal is to teach them teamwork. What we usually do -except for stocking on pots and injury kits- is let them run it themselves in their own way first. There's always 1 overgeared experienced player with them and he fight alongside them, but he won't take lead, go out of his way to save someone or start giving advices just yet. Eventually they get stuck at some miniboss or whatever.

That's where we come in. We ask what went wrong, what made things not happen the way they expected and what we could change to make it work. That's the point where the tank learns not to kick mobs away whenever he can, because the TR loses time on elites or they end up out of reach for a CW. That's when the CW gets rid of his tank companion because it does the same. That's where the healer learns to wait with AS till the boss -and the party- have moved to a decent position to keep fighting. That's where the TR learns he made the mistake of keeping at the boss while a party member was being ganked on by mobs for whatever reason.
    We may eff up a few more times at other points where we do the same, and keep doing so till the boss is dead at our feet.
    The 3rd time through, nobody dies anymore.

That's the difference between normal puggers and us. Experience. The GS is only a pass that says "if you do very well at this GS, you should be able to get through this". Puggers don't "do very well at this GS". They lack experience. Having the damage/defensive potential to do something doesn't mean you actually can do it blindly and with no effort. This is why being in a guild matters.
    While I don't like your training run method, everything else you said here is true. I just hate the idea of putting new people thru a run that will fail.
    edited August 2014
    It's not failing. It's learning. We're not there for the drops. If the experienced guy took away all threats, what's there to learn? Of course we could take 3 of us and 2 newbies and do it ourselves, but what's the point? They'll never get things done well without us if they don't learn to do it without us. And if they don't learn how to play as a team, I have no use for them in VT later on, and they'll get kicked for effing up other people's runs.
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he'll eat for the rest of his life.
    Yeah I'm just a firm believer that you can and should start with advice and explainations right away as you go along. If the person needs to fail first to see that you do know what you're talking with after joining up, is that really a person you want to have along?
    edited August 2014
    And it can. I've done all of them with people about 1k over GS requirement except for ToS, MC and VT. The issue isn't gear score.
    The issue is experience.

Yes experience is important, but the problem with ToS and the first boss in Karrundex for a low GS group is that it is a DPS check. No amount of experience is going to overcome the fact that the boss in ToS heals faster than a group with a sub 9000 GS and no enchants can dish out. The same holds true for the first boss in Karrundex. While much more doable at 9K than ToS, I'd say it would take an extremely experienced group most likely with at least lesser enchants to take her out before all the adds get you or the tank if you are using one.
    edited August 2014
    Yes experience is important, but the problem with ToS and the first boss in Karrundex for a low GS group is that it is a DPS check. No amount of experience is going to overcome the fact that the boss in ToS heals faster than a group with a sub 9000 GS and no enchants can dish out. The same holds true for the first boss in Karrundex. While much more doable at 9K than ToS, I'd say it would take an extremely experienced group most likely with at least lesser enchants to take her out before all the adds get you or the tank if you are using one.

Done the first Karru boss like that when HR came out. Now most of us had lessers etc but we were in the 9-10 range, I can't remember the exact. One person burned the boss and the rest played with adds. It was brutal but doable. Remember that in theory a new player will have been running some t1's first so they should have farmed up enough for a lesser before attempting a t2.