test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transferring NW from an HDD to an SSD - is cut & paste okay?

leedskalninleedskalnin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I want to transfer Neverwinter from my HDD to my SSD. I thought I wasn't gonna play the game as much as I used to, but with the recent patch, I find myself hooked again. Would it be technically correct to just cut and paste the whole game or would this process cause anomalies in the future and whatnot? Thanks!
Post edited by leedskalnin on

Comments

• Options
    jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited August 2014
    Yes, it'll work fine. Just make sure you change the link to the launcher ( on your desktop, for instance ) so that it points to the proper directory.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would just reinstall the game to be on the safe side.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes, it'll work fine. Just make sure you change the link to the launcher ( on your desktop, for instance ) so that it points to the proper directory.

My connection is pretty slow and with the game and all the patches, it might take me 3 days (edit: maybe even a week!). Lol.
  • Options
    damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    I would just reinstall the game to be on the safe side.

Why? There is absolutely no need to redownload and install it again. All an installer does is create folders, copy files and create registry entrys and various shortcuts to running the game.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Why? There is absolutely no need to redownload and install it again. All an installer does is create folders, copy files and create registry entrys and various shortcuts to running the game.
    Registry codes will be left behind and the launcher will re-patch it to the old location and then run from the old location unless one goes in an manually changes all the binary data of the registry entries for the game's location.

What to do to get around this without spending time in RegEdit: Copy the installation to your SSD and then use the Programs & Features (or Arc/Steam) to uninstall the game from your HDD. Now with it cleanly uninstalled, run the launcher from your SSD and it will create new registry entries for its current location.
  • Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    You can cut and paste as long as you know how to manually change the registry keys directory pointer for the .exe.

Honestly, most games use .ini or .cfg (txt files) to handle stuff like this, MMO clients don't use this because it makes the client easier to tamper with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Registry codes will be left behind and the launcher will re-patch it to the old location and then run from the old location unless one goes in an manually changes all the binary data of the registry entries for the game's location.

What to do to get around this without spending time in RegEdit: Copy the installation to your SSD and then use the Programs & Features (or Arc/Steam) to uninstall the game from your HDD. Now with it cleanly uninstalled, run the launcher from your SSD and it will create new registry entries for its current location.

Nope. Ive done this MANY times and it ALWAYS runs from the new location the files are copyed to - basically wherever YOU tell the shortcut to open, it will open.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Nope. Ive done this MANY times and it ALWAYS runs from the new location the files are copyed to - basically wherever YOU tell the shortcut to open, it will open.
    As have I and it always repatched to the old location and then even though the launcher is running from the new location, it loads the game client from the newly re-patched old location. Either your system is set up differently than most, or you are mistaken.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As have I and it always runs from the old location and repatched to the old location unless the registry entries are edited. Either your system is set up differently than most, or you are mistaken.

Mine doesnt. It patches to the new location lol.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Alright, I'll try your method Mr. Mod! :) Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Alright, I'll try your method Mr. Mod! :) Thanks!
    That's the safest bet and what Support has recommended to do if one doesn't want to just re-install. Unless of course, you have a magical system like damnataanimus.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's the safest bet and what Support has recommended to do if one doesn't want to just re-install. Unless of course, you have a magical system like damnataanimus.

Well I didn't have a problem either but I copied from a windows partition to a linux partition, and well I don't have a registry on this side. No magic required.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

By "installation", do you mean the Perfect World folder containing the Arc and Neverwinter Folders? Thanks!
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    By "installation", do you mean the Perfect World folder containing the Arc and Neverwinter Folders? Thanks!

You could copy both or you could just copy the Neverwinter Folder. Other than entering codes you don't need arc for anything atm.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The windows registry is an archaic and useless feature of windows. All it does is cause problems and slow the system down now when, back in the early and mid 90s when it was made, actually was useful. So if you run Linux or Mac OS then you won't have a registry and then you can just copy and paste the files anywhere you want. In Windows however you have to deal with that registry or you're going to have a bad time when it comes to updating the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    You could copy both or you could just copy the Neverwinter Folder. Other than entering codes you don't need arc for anything atm.

What Charononus said.
  • Options
    quollquoll Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Depending on your connection speed it may be easier to just let Arc redownload the game while you sleep.