test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dragon Born Legend wasn't actually on Sale?

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So it seems in another effort to mislead people, the dragon born legend that I wasn't going to buy because it was 100 USD filled with a lot of stuff that was apparently single character only got changed to a lot of account wide items and upgraded quality that was advertised as being "on sale" for 75 USD and would go UP in price when Tyranny was released is still at 75 USD which means when I bought it the pack in fact was NOT on sale but actually normal retail price.

Is this or is this not false advertising? While I can appreciate customer support service in regard to some of my past issues, it appears that I will NOT be compensated for this false and misleading pricing scheme in which I was lead to believe I was getting a 25% discount.

This is aside from the fact that it is now also purchasable via AD through the zen exchange, I am less concerned with this than I am with the fact that it was clearly stated this was on "sale" and it was 25% off and if now in fact the set price is 75 USD I should be entitled to 25% refund of 75 USD which is 18.75 USD or about 1875 zen being added to my account.

Is this pack going up in price after the usual Thursday update? Or did they decide that the pack is indeed only worth 75 USD?
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There have already been many many threads and posts about this but they seem to have gone poof xD , I'm just glad they gave us a option to buy it in game , no way I'd spend that amount of real money on it but i'm more than happy to spend zen I converted from AD that I earned.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    There have already been many many threads and posts about this but they seem to have gone poof xD , I'm just glad they gave us a option to buy it in game , no way I'd spend that amount of real money on it but i'm more than happy to spend zen I converted from AD that I earned.

The game provides me a fair amount of entertainment and probably more hours than it should, so spending some money isn't too much of a deal although I heavily disagree with how they price the vast majority.

Having said that, it appears that the point of some big dollar spending is a sense of "exclusivity" and in this particular instance that exclusivity has completely been taken away.

That is seriously telling people that are equivalent of an investor (as we are paying money where others are not) that "we are taking your money but you get nothing in return". I'm pretty certain the investment community would not be very favorable of that, not to mention that is out right lying.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    More than likely, the price did not increase because when this "special offer" price was first available, there were MANY comments on this forum about how it wasn't worth $75 and how $100 was ridiculously high.

Obviously, they actually listened to the complaints here and kept the pricing down.

So it is a good thing overall, but it does suck that it was made to appear as a "special" deal up front.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I totally agree that the way they went about the whole thing was badly handled , if I was in charge at Cryptic I'd offer some exclusive item to those who bought the pack on the whole concept of it being a special limited time offer , maybe some Drake companion that is only available if you buy using cash or whatever , I dunno xD.
  • Options
    lucidprophecylucidprophecy Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My assumption is that they tried the 75$ price point to see how it would sale. If sales weren't high then they knew people didn't value the pack at that price point which i don't think a lot did. So they decided to allow player to subsidize some of the cost using zen they previously had or through the exchange. They then probably saw the sale sky rocket and decided to leave the price point where it currently is. In the end it is a good thing an AD sink and funding for cryptic, however it was a bit miss leading. I understand why people are mad but they did buy it in the first place and decided it was of worth to themselves so how mad can they really be? Lesson learned always wait till the module drops before buying an packs or additional items.
  • Options
    vaschevasche Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My assumption is that they tried the 75$ price point to see how it would sale. If sales weren't high then they knew people didn't value the pack at that price point which i don't think a lot did. So they decided to allow player to subsidize some of the cost using zen they previously had or through the exchange. They then probably saw the sale sky rocket and decided to leave the price point where it currently is. In the end it is a good thing an AD sink and funding for cryptic, however it was a bit miss leading. I understand why people are mad but they did buy it in the first place and decided it was of worth to themselves so how mad can they really be? Lesson learned always wait till the module drops before buying an packs or additional items.

This is not an AD sink. The wonderous bazaar and the 10% cut of the auction house are examples of AD sinks.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In the end it is a good thing an AD sink

A ZEN item like this is the EXACTLY OPPOSITE of an AD sink as it removes ZEN from the market.

So it makes ZEN rarer and hence AD worth relatively less (since while the exchange may be capped at 500, by removing 500 ZEN from the pool alleviate it increase the backlog by that much).
  • Options
    edited August 2014

They clearly stated that this pack was on "sale" and that the price "would" go up once released so "better act fast". This is how it was presented in the original listings. Calling that a trial is not a proper way to conduct business, if any other business advertised like that they would have tons of complaints at best and at worst a class action lawsuit (depending on size and scope of people making purchases).

As to your statement of wait til the module lands, I again point out that the advertisement clearly stated the price would go UP on release and rather than risk paying 100 I went ahead and bought for 75 (shame on me for actually spend cash). Its their own statements that said this pack would in fact go up and that pricing was "limited time".

Basically it seems every time they run a promo screen shot their listings and save them for future evidence.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They didn't generate the sales they wanted, so the "sale" "extended". It's basic marketing and more or less shows how lackluster the product was/is. I don't think it was planned to make the pack available for ZEN either.
  • Options
    berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited August 2014
    I'm so glad I didn't buy the pack.
  • Options
    xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    They didn't generate the sales they wanted, so the "sale" "extended". It's basic marketing and more or less shows how lackluster the product was/is. I don't think it was planned to make the pack available for ZEN either.
    They managed to get it in the Zen store on Mod 4 release though. That surely required a lead time to do so.

My thoughts are that it is good they changed the pack and also placed it in the Zen Store. It is bad that they did not communicate this - as we've seen they have a proven track record of poor and misleading communications which is absurdly unforgivable in a company of this size.

There was a decision made that the pricepoint needed to change and that the pack needed changing (bag/artifact level etc). At that point this should have been communicated clearly to the playerbase as it formed a change to previously advertised material for which they were asking money.
    Kinda customer services 101 don't you think??
    Communication goes a really long way and this would have helped enormously if they had done so honestly. Said "We've changed the pack and it's pricepoint due to customer feedback, this is what the pack NOW costs and contains." Simples. And perhaps offered a shiny/zen/AD to those who had aleady pre-purchased.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xenotorch wrote: »
    They managed to get it in the Zen store on Mod 4 release though. That surely required a lead time to do so.

My thoughts are that it is good they changed the pack and also placed it in the Zen Store. It is bad that they did not communicate this - as we've seen they have a proven track record of poor and misleading communications which is absurdly unforgivable in a company of this size.

There was a decision made that the pricepoint needed to change and that the pack needed changing (bag/artifact level etc). At that point this should have been communicated clearly to the playerbase as it formed a change to previously advertised material for which they were asking money.
    Kinda customer services 101 don't you think??
    Communication goes a really long way and this would have helped enormously if they had done so honestly. Said "We've changed the pack and it's pricepoint due to customer feedback, this is what the pack NOW costs and contains." Simples. And perhaps offered a shiny/zen/AD to those who had aleady pre-purchased.

Couldn't have said it any better. If they had just come out and said it and thrown a couple of digital baubles at those those that bought it early, no issues. This is akin to going out of your way to gain negative feelings from your community.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    loboguild wrote: »

I hope this is true , hopefully if it is the Neverwinter marketing team ( if one exists) have learnt a valuable lesson , if they absolutely HAD to charge money to unlock a race then make it $20 dollars or something for a race unlock , don't add a heap of junk and fluff then charge a ludicrous amount for it.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mystagogue wrote: »
    Couldn't have said it any better. If they had just come out and said it and thrown a couple of digital baubles at those those that bought it early, no issues. This is akin to going out of your way to gain negative feelings from your community.

What makes this even more incomprehensible is that the people that are being alienated are the most valuable customers by far that any MMO can have, namely confirmed per-purchaers.....
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    I hope this is true , hopefully if it is the Neverwinter marketing team ( if one exists) have learnt a valuable lesson , if they absolutely HAD to charge money to unlock a race then make it $20 dollars or something for a race unlock , don't add a heap of junk and fluff then charge a ludicrous amount for it.

That's the point, I guess most people would have loved to buy the new race separately. It's not even that the pack is overpriced, it's just that you feel you buy a bunch of stuff you don't really need/want. In my case it's the fashion sets. Others might feel they don't need the tokens or whatever. And while the dragon-killing stuff (dunno if I'll ever wear them), Glyphs (normal drops) and 30-slot bag (which actually might be the biggest value of the whole pack) are nice, you could live without em. In my eyes it's always a bad idea to package too much.
  • Options
    petestarkspetestarks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No amount of screenshot or logging will make a bit of difference. The only thing we can do is learn a VERY valuable that "exclusive" and "sale" does not mean whatever you believed them to mean. I was one of the many people duped into this "marketing" and at the end of the day there is no recourse short of charging back your credit card and getting your account banned(Which I really DO NOT recommend).

Be respectful of your comments or they will just go poof and vote with your wallet. Past that you have no recourse :(
  • Options
    natriannanatrianna Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here is how DH and I look at the pack, we shelled out the $75 pre release for the pack when the bag when account wide. Not for the sale price or because it was an awesome value but because we both get a lot of enjoyment out of the game and don't pay a monthly fee to play, so there are have been 3 or 4 times I've paid cash for something in this game and honestly I'm okay with that because Cryptic has to pay the light bill, for the hardware, the people, etc None of it is free for them and if they don't bring in enough of income stream to cover that, the game will go away. Now we don't shell out money often but when we do, when you average it over months, weeks or days, it is a small price to pay for endless hours of entertainment. Yes, it sucks a bit that the price wasn't really a sale price but still, I invested in the game in the hopes another MOD isn't too far off
  • Options
    ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Seems like some guys of the STO lore team joined the sales department as they are following the Rules of Acquisition to the letter.

Rule 239: Never be afraid to mislabel a product.

And as they are not refunding money because of this they also follow
    Rule 1: Once you have their money, you never give it back.

And people, please. Stop being so naive and think that paying overpriced DLCs is keeping the servers running. Cryptic makes enough money without those sales already. The extra money they squeeze out of you goes directly into their profits and only makes them creating more whale bait instead of fixing stuff.
  • Options
    petestarkspetestarks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the real issue is as a consumer the only choice you have is if you buy or do not buy a product. If you buy a product you are giving the seller a gold star and and communicating that they have delivered a good product. If you do not buy something you are saying it is of poor quality or value...

When you have a seller than delivers sub par products riddled with bugs and issues why would you give them that gold star of success? This misplayed loyalty causes them to believe they do not need to deliver quality because their current sub-par offering is good enough to sell. I think this is beyond fundamentally wrong be it in this case with the dragon pack or anything else with any other company. Would you stick by your cell phone provider if they kept delivering you poor or deceptive service? No, you would stop paying them or pay someone else until they output better quality worth your money.

Maybe if companies bleed a little more in the profits they would be more interested in resolving issues? I know people will never allow this sort of accountability to take place because they are programmed to just toss their money away... but imagine a world where the DD chests worked, the huge list of foundry bugs were worked on, or where 2 major classes did not get back burnered until module 5.

I know this will not happen, but it sure is nice to dream isn't it?
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Completely in agreement that continuing to advertise the pack as on sale when they likely planned to discount it permanently and then not compensating them is seriously wrong. When I'm gone from this game, I'm gone from any games they make permanently. Things are way too shoddy. I hope people wise up and avoid them in future too. They definitely don't deserve our money.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I, personally, am glad the price stayed $75. I really want to be a dragonborn, but I couldn't afford it while it was on sale, and, at the time I could not justify $100 for what was included. After the changes, I was about 75% sure I'd buy it at the $100 price point because the bags and stuff are account bound now. Once I noticed that the price was permanently going to stay at $75 this made me really happy. I will be buying this pack next month and I am going to enjoy being pretty much the only dragonborn DC I've seen in game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Completely in agreement that continuing to advertise the pack as on sale when they likely planned to discount it permanently and then not compensating them is seriously wrong. When I'm gone from this game, I'm gone from any games they make permanently. Things are way too shoddy. I hope people wise up and avoid them in future too. They definitely don't deserve our money.

I have the same sentiments. I am staying with Neverwinter for now just because of all the assets I have invested. However, I am never ever going to sign up for another PWE game ever again. I do not approve of their marketing techniques and I do not approve of how they police exploiters (or lack thereof)
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have the same sentiments. I am staying with Neverwinter for now just because of all the assets I have invested. However, I am never ever going to sign up for another PWE game ever again. I do not approve of their marketing techniques and I do not approve of how they police exploiters (or lack thereof)

Yep, I worked a lot to get all of my stuff I have now and it seems a shame to waste that and not get use out of it and leaving now wouldn't achieve much. High prices, important bugs that don't get fixed soon enough, inefficient systems, changes to screw players, marketing to mislead customers. There's just too much to not support.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nothing to see here, folks. the sale was extended and nothing more.

these same circular arguments and references to lawsuits have been hashed and rehashed in the first thread that was closed so we're going to shut this down as well. feel free to PM a community manager if you have issues with this decision.
This discussion has been closed.