test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

pixel shader compilation failure

2»

Comments

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    rado84 wrote: »
    Maybe the problem is you're using DX11 since Module 4 arrived. Why don't you try and run it with DX9 (just until they fix the issue)? I'm running it with DX9 and there's no black screen, no crashes...

The DX11 renderer has the same annoying bug it has always suffered, anyway, where it jumps from full screen to windowed when you tab out. Far too irritating to use, even if it is more shiny.
  • Options
    shhbaconshhbacon Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bumpity bump bump
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I posted yesterday about my words floating off to the right and down from where they should be. When I logged on today, I noticed this same error message right after login. It just seems to be the words for me, so it hasn't interfered with game play. But it's really annoying to try and read.
  • Options
    kn1ghtscrosskn1ghtscross Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Devs/Mods

Any ideas on this yet ?
    we would really appreciate the help
    thx
  • Options
    kn1ghtscrosskn1ghtscross Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pixel Shader Compilation Failure

(compilation error code = E_NOTIMPL 0x80004001)
    Shaders_Processed/Resolve_Msaa_16_Depth_As_Color_680cBa12_2e100cbc.PhI(ps_3_0)

If you have been getting this error on start up of the game try this,
    it has worked for me :)

1. Go to optons
    2. click on Display
    3. Check Video Display,
    depending on which Direct X you use i.e. DX9 or DX11
    set it to the Direct X your useing and restart the game client

I have DX11, when I checked the setting had changed to DX9,
    so I set it to 'auto' first and restarted.
    The game started without the error so I then set it for
    DX11, which I run, and again it started without the error.

I have tested this all day and have had no problems for the first
    time since the season update.

I don't know why this setting changed or how I missed it, but
    it should not have changed.

Hope this helps anyone who has this error
    :)
    KnightsCross
    Chilling

EDIT
    I found it keeps resetting to the 'Auto' position but still works for me
    (also I took out the word fix from the heading,
    sry I thought I'd found a fix but it appears it doesn't work for everyone)
  • Options
    grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Pixel Shader Compilation Failure Fix

1. Go to optons
    2. click on Display
    3. Check Video Display,

KnightsCross
    Chilling

Sorry to say this doesn't help me as I only have DX9 so there's no such option to change.

I'm new to playing Neverwinter, started playing about 6 hours ago, managed to get my character about half-way through level 5 in that time, despite getting a few random game crashes. Then about 2 hours ago I got the quest to go to Blacklake so found a gate, selected Blacklake to travel to and when the loading screen appeared the game crashed. Since then, every time I run the game I get 4 pixel shader compilation errors as the game finishes loading, I select my character, click on the "Enter World" button, the loading screen appears and then the game crashes. I've tried 5 times, I let the launcher do it's "force verify" thing, but each time I get the same result with the 4 pixel shader errors, select my character, click "Enter World" button, loading screen appears and game crashes. :(

I even deleted gameprefs.pref in the "..\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Live\localdata" folder to force the game to reset all options to default but that made no difference. I still got the 4 pixel shader compilation errors as the game finished loading, selected my character, clicked on the "Enter World" button, the loading screen appeared and then the game crashed.

I notice this thread was started 5 days ago and so far there's been zero response from anyone at Cryptic, does anyone know whether they're even aware of this issue? While I may be new to playing Neverwinter I'm a long time Star Trek Online player so I'm kind of used to the borderline ignorance from Cryptic regarding technical issues posted on their forums.

EDIT: Just read another thread: A list of bugs in Tyranny of Dragons Live. Post #7 is a PW staff post and reads:
    panderus wrote: »
    We are tracking all of these issues to hopefully be resolved as early as next week, keep an eye on the preview patch notes as usual.

The shader issues have a likley fix for at least a god chunk of cases this week and preview today.

Thanks for the quick list!

So they are aware of the shader issues and hopefully they will have a fix soon.
    Playing STO since August 2010
    Playing Neverwinter since July 2014
  • Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey guys. The shader mentioned in the error message is just something that's not used in DX9. So it fails to compile in DX9 mode. Granted, it's pretty silly to spit out an error message about something that can't do anything for the given mode, but it's just a benign error message and is probably unrelated to the UI issues you guys are experiencing.

If you're experiencing UI issues, you might want to make a thread just for those so the UI guys can see it.

If you're interested in what the shader does, it's for getting the depth buffer as a texture when in MSAA mode. In DX11 we're given control over this through shaders, but in DX9 we aren't. So pretty much everyone in DX9 mode is probably seeing that error message now.

On the other hand, if you turn off anti-aliasing, and everything starts suddenly working, then we need to know about it as soon as possible.
  • Options
    grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey guys. The shader mentioned in the error message is just something that's not used in DX9. So it fails to compile in DX9 mode. Granted, it's pretty silly to spit out an error message about something that can't do anything for the given mode, but it's just a benign error message and is probably unrelated to the UI issues you guys are experiencing.

If you're experiencing UI issues, you might want to make a thread just for those so the UI guys can see it.

If you're interested in what the shader does, it's for getting the depth buffer as a texture when in MSAA mode. In DX11 we're given control over this through shaders, but in DX9 we aren't. So pretty much everyone in DX9 mode is probably seeing that error message now.

On the other hand, if you turn off anti-aliasing, and everything starts suddenly working, then we need to know about it as soon as possible.

So if the shader compilation errors just a benign error message what could be responsible for my game crashes? To reiterate my earlier post, I was able to play for about 4 hours (had 3-4 random crashes in that time) but ever since the last game crash when I tried to travel from Neverwinter to Blacklake I cannot get back into the game world, every single time I've tried it's the same result. Select character, loading screen appears, the progress bar starts moving and then stops at the same point every time followed by the game crashing!

I've tried using the "Technical Support" forum link but that just throws an error. Guess I'll try creating a new thread in these "Bug Report" forums and see what happens. *shrug*

EDIT: Created a new thread for my game crashing problem: Game crashed when attempting to travel, now cannot get into game world in case anyone can provide any suggestions for me to try.
    Playing STO since August 2010
    Playing Neverwinter since July 2014
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    On the thread about the Wine/Linux bug one of the devs said they had changed the way they compile pixel renders - I guess this is the result.

As a person who uses WINE, I am part of that thread... Wine is not working at all since mod4, and the dev has created a patch for it. However, so far this patch is only on preview, it is not on the live server yet.

Because I can not use WINE/Linux until that patch makes it live, I am on an 8 year old computer with XP, 2GB of Ram, and 256MB on the old vid card. This computer gets these messages as well. I think they are more informational, as the appear to be trying new shaders and failing before falling back to old shaders. Once the game loads, I do not have any issues other than the slow speed of the old computer.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014

1. Go to optons
    2. click on Display
    3. Check Video Display,

KnightsCross
    Chilling

EDIT
    I found it keeps resetting to the 'Auto' position but still works for me
    (also I took out the word fix from the heading,
    sry I thought I'd found a fix but it appears it doesn't work for everyone)

This worked for me. My words are back in their proper places. Thank-you.
  • Options
    ariellaraven4ariellaraven4 Member Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    mosaic06 wrote: »
    on mine, it's like playing the Preview Test server, displays are smaller, there are borders in the wrong place, and my journal is only half readable. The icons are also smaller and or misaligned.

I too am getting the Pixel error message at the bottom of my toon selection screen as well, I have tried swapping the Direct X 9 to 11, but no joy.

So its like being on the test server, just I'm not testing anything...or am I... :)

hmmmm....... same issue for me as well ,you know what tech support said it was my laptop that's the issue perhaps we all need new pcs ??? some thing is wrong i am not the only one i have told them on each submission on each ticket that it has been going on since mod 4 they need to look into this for sure ,before i was playing just fine then mod 4 a ton of issues :(
  • Options
    shhbaconshhbacon Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Could you explain whats happening here in this ss please, cause i never had this issue before mod4.
    pve.jpg
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    huajia2 wrote: »
    This worked for me. My words are back in their proper places. Thank-you.

How did you found that option? I am using directx 11 according to dxdiag.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I see it every time I log in, but only crash when rapidly scrolling (spinning the scroll wheel) through either professions or the collections window.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    dangerzone91dangerzone91 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not fixed, to fix the pixel shader error you can switch to DirectX 11 plus the game will take to open and can still hang. When back to the Direcxt 9 this bug happens, please fixed this. Thank you.

This message http://s10.postimg.org/x4dknjcgp/untitled.png no longer appears. but still bugged.
  • Options
    dangerzone91dangerzone91 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    UP!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    salemt87salemt87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    huajia2 wrote: »
    I posted yesterday about my words floating off to the right and down from where they should be. When I logged on today, I noticed this same error message right after login. It just seems to be the words for me, so it hasn't interfered with game play. But it's really annoying to try and read.

words_error2_zps80c5ce2b.jpg

Here same problem, even after today's maintainence... I tried to change the option to Auto but that didn't worked. Also reinstalled drivers, still nothing... any ideas on how fix this issue?
  • Options
    wintermysticwintermystic Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Friends, I had same issue for since mod 4 starts and i just found the solution. Just go to option > Advance then tick OFF on Multi Core Rendaring. wohoo..my pixel error prb finished. :)
    'Everything Is Connected"
    tumblr_nxn2wpS7yT1ulsth5o1_250.gif