test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions about black ice gloves.

masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
Is there something I am not getting about black ice gloves, besides the black ice gloves?

I suspect it is a random number generator, and with the chances I have seen it would have had to been a less than 1 in 100 chance. If that is so, and if you are like me and have been farming encounters in ice wind pass since the module came out, what specifically would the chances likely be? I asked that part because the first time I did black ice beholder I received my main hand weapon, yes the first. I estimate I have done major heroic encounters in ice wind pass around 125 times, is there any way to improve my chances of getting the gloves? Like repeatedly doing encounters and opening and opening the rewards after around 10? Is there another way to acquire them? I say that because obviously people are not getting them even though it is said to be where they are at. I am slightly considering that the drop program may be broken at this point; because, there is a massive amount of people not getting rewards after repeated attempts over the entire span of this module. I would request any information on improving my chances of receiving this item from the forum members that read this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    masizin777 wrote: »
    Is there something I am not getting about black ice gloves, besides the black ice gloves?

Just to be a little helpful about this, I'll share a few things some might already know. There are three major factors;

1. ZERG
    2. Black Ice Quantity & Loot Rarity
    3. Participation Scoring

ZERGing. When you see a Beholder HE start and it's at the farthest location possible, in an averagely empty map, by all means GO FOR IT. If this encounter says 10 people, and you count a dozen already hitting on the boss and its almost dead, just don't even bother. You have a chance at all to get the Epic Loot if these conditions are met. First, you have to start around 100% to 50% boss' health at about 1-4 minutes the encounter has started. This is to ensure you get a headstart of all your competition (other players). In short, if you can finish an HE with 8/10 people only, you have great chances. If you beat Beholder with 20/10 people, don't expect anything good from it.

Black Ice Quantity & Loot Rarity In order to know when you are doing things right, and it's just pure RNG/luck that's the problem, look at the Black Ice Quantity you receive. The gloves is in the 180 Black Ice category. So if you beat an HE and you got 180 Black Ice and no gloves? Smash your fist to the wall, get pissed and try again later. If you got 25 Black Ice, don't beat yourself up. You didn't even pass the scoring and Zerg requirements.

Participation Scoring Different classes have different ways to more effectively increase their chances of looting 180 Black Ice or Epic Reward. DC gets extra points for healing, so just heal heal heal. GF gets points for damage taken, so tank tank tank. GWF and CW, no probs there it's straight up DPS. For TR, it's DPS also. But another thing that helps is to interact with the objectives displayed in your quest tracker.
  • biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rustlord wrote: »
    Just to be a little helpful about this, I'll share a few things some might already know. There are three major factors;

1. ZERG
    2. Black Ice Quantity & Loot Rarity
    3. Participation Scoring

ZERGing. When you see a Beholder HE start and it's at the farthest location possible, in an averagely empty map, by all means GO FOR IT. If this encounter says 10 people, and you count a dozen already hitting on the boss and its almost dead, just don't even bother. You have a chance at all to get the Epic Loot if these conditions are met. First, you have to start around 100% to 50% boss' health at about 1-4 minutes the encounter has started. This is to ensure you get a headstart of all your competition (other players). In short, if you can finish an HE with 8/10 people only, you have great chances. If you beat Beholder with 20/10 people, don't expect anything good from it.

Black Ice Quantity & Loot Rarity In order to know when you are doing things right, and it's just pure RNG/luck that's the problem, look at the Black Ice Quantity you receive. The gloves is in the 180 Black Ice category. So if you beat an HE and you got 180 Black Ice and no gloves? Smash your fist to the wall, get pissed and try again later. If you got 25 Black Ice, don't beat yourself up. You didn't even pass the scoring and Zerg requirements.

Participation Scoring Different classes have different ways to more effectively increase their chances of looting 180 Black Ice or Epic Reward. DC gets extra points for healing, so just heal heal heal. GF gets points for damage taken, so tank tank tank. GWF and CW, no probs there it's straight up DPS. For TR, it's DPS also. But another thing that helps is to interact with the objectives displayed in your quest tracker.

Sometimes I get 180 BI without great success, would I get a shot at the BI gear too in this case?
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    biibiisai wrote: »
    Sometimes I get 180 BI without great success, would I get a shot at the BI gear too in this case?

Yes, I managed to get the BI gloves from the 180 BI bracket without "Great Success" in Raid the Raiders and Prospector Attack.
  • biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    fr0gurt wrote: »
    Yes, I managed to get the BI gloves from the 180 BI bracket without "Great Success" in Raid the Raiders and Prospector Attack.

wow great to know this. Thanks for the info!
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    rustlord wrote: »

Prospectors, Remorhaz and Beholder all in a row in one day. 180 Black Ice. No gloves. My hand is in a cast now.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • eryndeleryndel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Prospectors, Remorhaz and Beholder all in a row in one day. 180 Black Ice. No gloves. My hand is in a cast now.

I just use my glass encrusted fist to try and eke out a little more dps. This wouldn't be a problem if I had my #$*@ gloves already!!!!
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    biibiisai wrote: »

From what I can tell some of the heroics are mis-categorized, but only majors require great success (they are the blue heroics) the epic ones (purple light streams) either don't give great success or just give out max rewards for "encounter completed" but you are still at the mercy of RNG.

Look at the level of mobs, level 65 mobs means its a heroic that will give the highest chance at getting the items you are looking for. This is where the inaccurate color coding comes as as prospector attack (not to be confused with rescue prospectors btw) is a level 65 and should technically be an epic (purple) but shows up as a major (blue). Bear Rider Roundup shows up as epic (purple) but is a level 62 encounter I believe which makes it more like a major (rewards seem to reflect this) and thus should be color coded blue. Bear Rider is about the same in difficulty as corrupted bears so I think personally its a mistake on the programming side which is misleading to people looking for loot.

As a side note, I find it odd that technically there are 3 different epic encounters in icewind pass and only 1 in dwarven valley. Ice Wind Pass has:

Prospector Attack
    Raid the Raiders
    Remohoraz

All are level 65 and all have the best chance to qualify for purple loot.

All majors can give purple loot but only if you get the "great success" out of them.

Minors do nothing but give potion ice and enchantments even if you get great success, unless there is some sort of 1 in 10000 chance of getting something better and so far I have not seen it and I still to this day farm IWD as it has grown on me and I actually like the area for the most part. I just wish I could change instances easier because its really really REALLY annoying having to go from the far end of one map to change instance and often go back to the farthest end to fight something in the new instance.

Short answer to your question is yes, you will have a shot at a black ice gear piece if you are getting a 180 ice reward even if the encounter you completed didn't say "great success". Prospector Attack is the best example of this probably happening. Again watch for the level of the mobs, 65 = greatest chance to get what you want.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    fr0gurt wrote: »

Great Success is when you get 180 BI for a 3-5 person encounter. This is harder to do, but also comes with a small chance for an epic item.

Prospector Attack and Raid the Raiders are epic encounters and therefore don't have a higher loot tier to get bumped into with Great Success.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Minors do nothing but give potion ice and enchantments even if you get great success

Great Success on a minor heroic gives 75 BI. Pretty much only possible if you solo it or have mostly soloed it before anyone else shows up.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia