test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An idea on how to help new players gear up.

shadowbunsliceshadowbunslice Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
So, TR is my main and I am finding myself pretty much unwanted in dungeons. However, I had a great idea on how to help new players out, play my favorite class, and benefit in the process. On my TR I can solo any T2 dungeon save TOS in 40 minutes or less. I can also get a party of 7-11 k people through these dungeons with ease.
My idea is this. I get said party of people through the dungeon, they get their chest and chance at T2 set piece, I get the end drop, everyone wins.
I can understand how some people don't like watching someone else do everything else, and how they can get bored. But I'm thinking there are alot of new players gearing up that are being excluded from T2 dungeons and would just be happy to get through these dungeons with a minimum amount of pain and 100% chance of success.

This is my problem - First I spend a large amount of time finding these people in the first place. Then I spend a huge amount of time explaining everything. Then, more then half the time they just don't listen, make the boss fights harder, In general make the whole dungeon run twice as long as I could have done it solo. To top it off, after the final boss is dead, one, or more, or everyone, NEEDS/GREEDS the end drop even after I have clearly explained the rules.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? Would the legit channel be a good place to go for this. I've never checked it out before. Anyway, I want to help new players gear up, and I don't see any reason why we can't both benefit greatly, but I'm tired of being extremely frustrated, and constantly shafted. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Post edited by shadowbunslice on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What you're talking about is what's called buying runs in other games. It's a cancer, you want to help new undergeared players teach them how to do the content. You're not helping you're hurting.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    What you're talking about is what's called buying runs in other games. It's a cancer, you want to help new undergeared players teach them how to do the content. You're not helping you're hurting.

I agree it's a huge problem, but why would I spend 4x the amount of time running a dungeon with undergeared players, likely have them not respect Greed rules, and likely have a frustrating experience. Option B, run some dungeon multiple times with 14k+ group on my CW. I don't like it, and I don't think it's fair either but if I want to improve my own character there is absolutely no incentive for the former other than being an extremely nice guy.
    I am just trying to work with the rules of the system, and which is worse? Being carried through a dungeon at the cost of a 20% chance on a roll of an item that is likely not even worth much. Or being completely excluded from the content and forced to shell out an amount of astral diamonds which is likely taking you weeks to earn.
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    That's like getting a dollar for every prostitute you come across walking through a red light district. You'll end up with a lot of dollars, but it won't buy you anything.

And you get some kind of itchy disease...don't ask.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Add me and I would be happy to go with my CW :) (not a ninja, just a samurai ;))
    Vusa Opethe@korpakukac1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Run with /legit. Problem solved.
    So, my advise to you, if you're really doing this to help people and not just to get into the dungeon you can solo and take the loot, is go to the maps where the dungeons are. People appreciate your help there a lot more than the /lfg does, and you might find a few good additions to your guild before they get corrupted by the /lfg. I know I did.

A chest is the best way to get T2 gear if your strapped for AD, furthermore you get to choose which set piece. For people gearing up this is usually the reason they are running the dungeon in the first place, moreover the chest is your number 1 best bet. For someone who has their T2 gear already, the chest is essentially worthless and your really looking for something nicely sellable. I see this as a win/win for both parties rather than a case of one or the other being exploited, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.

As long as there are unbound drops in T2 dungeons Bis spec parties are going to farming these dungeons for AD and unfortunately they will exclude and create a toxic environment for any new player. I do not think this will change unless new content offers greater AD incentives, which seems highly unlikely considering the past few mods. Alternatively, I am in favor of ALL drops in all dungeons being BOP.

However, the problems for new players would not disappear under such conditions. To a large degree you need the T2 gear to run the T2 dungeons and it takes several runs of a dungeon to get a feel for the mobs and boss fights and how to do each dungeon smoothly. Thereby, new players might have an extremely hard time putting together a party that is actually capable and knows how to run a given dungeon. By the time the become veterans at a given dungeon they will likely have the gear they need and no longer have any reason or interest in running them anymore and leaving the next generation the same problem they themselves faced.
  • Options
    anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2014
    Here's the problem -- do you want gear, or do you want to help people gear up?

If you want gear, just solo dungeons. Easy. Or run with /legit.

If you want to help people gear up, you're going to have to do the frustrating thing you've been doing: explain it to them, watch them botch it, and just teach them. But you help them more in the long run ... you can't honestly expect them to do it with you every time, can you? Do you want to run 40, 50, dungeons with the same group, so they can always be bored out of their minds? No, it's better if you just show them.

NEED/GREED problems ... get used to them for PUGs. People don't care if they break rules for a better chance at good loot.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    anharmon wrote: »
    Here's the problem -- do you want gear, or do you want to help people gear up?

If you want gear, just solo dungeons. Easy. Or run with /legit.

If you want to help people gear up, you're going to have to do the frustrating thing you've been doing: explain it to them, watch them botch it, and just teach them. But you help them more in the long run ... you can't honestly expect them to do it with you every time, can you? Do you want to run 40, 50, dungeons with the same group, so they can always be bored out of their minds? No, it's better if you just show them.

NEED/GREED problems ... get used to them for PUGs. People don't care if they break rules for a better chance at good loot.

In terms of gear the only thing I am working on is artifacts/enchants. I am bored of all the dungeons and generally during a DD I'll run PK with my CW for salvage, refusing to join groups that only take CW/GWF or post a GS of 14k+. Worst comes to worst no matter what my group composition is the run will likely not take more than 20 minutes.
    I like to solo dungeons on my TR because it is indeed still challenging. I encourage ppl to clear mobs behind me and learn how to fight the different mobs in a dungeon while sticking together and supporting each other. End bosses I'll often explain how that boss works and how to beat them as well as good tactics for different party roles. I'll start off on the end fight with the group and if they all die I just finish the boss off myself. I like to give advice to new players who actually respect and appreciate me at the end of a run by telling them how they might improve their stats. Which wep enchants to use, how to get artifacts and where, etc.

I just think it's a shame that new players are being given the shaft on T2 dungeons. I think the elitism in the PVE community has made new players defensive, paranoid, greedy, and frustrated. Castle never certainly did that to me at one point. It would be nice to see the devs implement a master/apprentice system with tangible benefits to all parties involved. The relationship between old players and new players in both pvp and pve is not exactly harmonious. I guess the reason for my post was to bring attention to this and think of possible ways we the players can rectify it even if the mechanics of the game promote the opposite.
  • Options
    galaxy1045galaxy1045 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Selling one's sword is a common idea in DnD, is it not?
    Sellsword, e.g.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    galaxy1045 wrote: »
    Selling one's sword is a common idea in DnD, is it not?
    Sellsword, e.g.
    There's a big difference between roleplay and this. I've actually seen this become another form of RMT in other games. His idea is highly toxic and an absolutely horrible thing to do. It harms every player on the server when someone does this.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Very good point, I'd only buy a fashion for a newbie which is my relative in real life. Or mulhorand weapon/cloak, which would help them on their progress but after they hit 60 - not a single enchantment given. I'd run dungeons with them, if they ask kindly but besides that I'd only help with an advice.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There's a big difference between roleplay and this. I've actually seen this become another form of RMT in other games. His idea is highly toxic and an absolutely horrible thing to do. It harms every player on the server when someone does this.

I understand where your coming from. But do you have a better idea on how to get new players into a T2 dungeon run and have them complete it? No sarcasm here I would love to hear an intelligent solution to this problem. Pointing to the legit channel is not the end all be all either. I never knew about /legit until I started visiting the forums. Which only happened because game-play became dull and repetitive. New players are unlikely to know about /legit, nor is there any obvious way for them to find out.

There is no doubt that a group of new players will have a much better chance of success with at least one player who is experienced and capable. It doesn't have to be a TR, and this person doesn't have to solo the dungeon. A veteran player who does this is going to be devoting a lot of time and effort to this. Time and effort that he could have spent improving his own character. As long as this is the case it will never be common to have a dungeon guide. If I get friends/guildies to help me gear up a new character I pass on the end drop. When I do this they never grumble about dragging my gimp *** along and are usually more than happy to bring me along next time, and really, on a new toon, I just want my chest.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lets also look at the long term and widespread impact of what would happen if my idea were to become popular and common in-game. A new player would have access to a way to easily and quickly obtain T2 gear with 0 up-front cost. Demand for unbound T2 gear in the auction house would decrease, which would in turn drop prices. Ad farming groups would move to higher level content like VT and CN and bring them out of competition with new players.

A new player would be able to run T2 dungeons, obtain 2-3 set pieces and then buy the last piece(s) for much cheaper. At the end of the day you would have less competition between old players and new players, and a much quicker, cheaper way for a new player to gear up. Additionally, you would have friendly interaction between old players and new players, because the dungeon runs would be completed that much faster if everyone is on the same page and coordinated. Overall, I don't see how any of this would "harm everyone on the server"
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You don't necessarily want to use dungeons to gear up right away - it is perfectly feasible to do the following:
    As soon as you hit lvl 60, get some decent blue or relatively cheap purple items at the AH. You should also have one, maybe two artifacts at that time, probably of blue quality, a handful of companions, and probably a set of R5/R6 enchants. This should be enough to give you a GS Of 10K or so. While that is "enough" to get into dungeons, it may be perceived as "undergeared" for the T2s.

Instead, do the following - start on the Sharandar and Dread ring campaigns, and get the boons - at least the first three boons in both places. The daily instances have a reasonable chance of dropping decent purple items, so, grab those and by the time you have the first 3 boons in both campaigns, you will probably have a GS of at least 12K. At this point you have various options - for some it makes sense to start running PK and get the T1 drops - for others PvP is the way to go.

The point is that just starting on T1s the minute you hit lvl 60 is not necessarily the way to go.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You should help because is fun to run dungeons.

When I am in the mood for dungeon I know I'll have to carry people, specially ******s from pvp with 16k+ gs, witch is the most amusing thing...

But I'll help when I want to do dungeons. I dont require any gs or class in particular when doing dungeons for fun... if they cant do their job more fun for me because of the handicap.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I understand where your coming from. But do you have a better idea on how to get new players into a T2 dungeon run and have them complete it? No sarcasm here I would love to hear an intelligent solution to this problem. Pointing to the legit channel is not the end all be all either. I never knew about /legit until I started visiting the forums. Which only happened because game-play became dull and repetitive. New players are unlikely to know about /legit, nor is there any obvious way for them to find out.

There is no doubt that a group of new players will have a much better chance of success with at least one player who is experienced and capable. It doesn't have to be a TR, and this person doesn't have to solo the dungeon. A veteran player who does this is going to be devoting a lot of time and effort to this. Time and effort that he could have spent improving his own character. As long as this is the case it will never be common to have a dungeon guide. If I get friends/guildies to help me gear up a new character I pass on the end drop. When I do this they never grumble about dragging my gimp *** along and are usually more than happy to bring me along next time, and really, on a new toon, I just want my chest.

How to help without doing that is simple:
    [Looking for Group}LF4M for Karru teaching run, all welcome

Then you do just that you teach every step of the way, if someone doesn't listen you don't rage, you just keep trying, and if you fail well that's going to happen sometimes.
    Lets also look at the long term and widespread impact of what would happen if my idea were to become popular and common in-game. A new player would have access to a way to easily and quickly obtain T2 gear with 0 up-front cost. Demand for unbound T2 gear in the auction house would decrease, which would in turn drop prices. Ad farming groups would move to higher level content like VT and CN and bring them out of competition with new players.

A new player would be able to run T2 dungeons, obtain 2-3 set pieces and then buy the last piece(s) for much cheaper. At the end of the day you would have less competition between old players and new players, and a much quicker, cheaper way for a new player to gear up. Additionally, you would have friendly interaction between old players and new players, because the dungeon runs would be completed that much faster if everyone is on the same page and coordinated. Overall, I don't see how any of this would "harm everyone on the server"
    No it hurts everyone because lets say you do this over and over and help someone get a t2 set with your system. You have now created a geared player with no more skill or knowledge about the endgame than a bot. They still have no idea how to complete the dungeon but will rage out when they fail because "but I'm geared" no one wins and everyone loses.
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Besides running dungeons with ppl from the legit channel (which is good advice), the other side of the coin is getting enchants for that shiny new gear.

At this point, how does a new 60 gear up with these enchants (of which i consider soulforged to be a HUGE difference in enjoyability of endgame dungeons) when they are that expensive without spending actual cash?
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    How to help without doing that is simple:
    [Looking for Group}LF4M for Karru teaching run, all welcome

Then you do just that you teach every step of the way, if someone doesn't listen you don't rage, you just keep trying, and if you fail well that's going to happen sometimes.

No it hurts everyone because lets say you do this over and over and help someone get a t2 set with your system. You have now created a geared player with no more skill or knowledge about the endgame than a bot. They still have no idea how to complete the dungeon but will rage out when they fail because "but I'm geared" no one wins and everyone loses.

Your still not addressing why someone would bother with with a teaching run in the first place other than being nice or having fun. Such players do exist and these kind souls are to be complemented. But this is far too much to be expected from a normal person the majority of the time. Perhaps my example of a TR soloing a dungeon was a bad example and did not convey what I wanted it to. New players would be actually running the T2 content and seeing how the fights work, and a veteran guide would do well to teach them in order to make the run a smooth affair.
    The current dynamic is that new players are flat out not running the T2 dungeons at all. Or if they do manage to squeak by into a party they are outperformed by everyone else and probably do not contribute or learn much in the process and the party does not need to or bother with explaining things.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Besides running dungeons with ppl from the legit channel (which is good advice), the other side of the coin is getting enchants for that shiny new gear.

At this point, how does a new 60 gear up with these enchants (of which i consider soulforged to be a HUGE difference in enjoyability of endgame dungeons) when they are that expensive without spending actual cash?

A good point and i'm glad you brought it up. At this point the short answer is zen. The next best option for coal wards with no up front cost is praying. I have 4 characters and in two months of praying have received 1 coal ward. This dynamic heavily benefits established characters with multiple toons over new players as well. The same is true of artifacts. A new player is much better off getting 2 or more characters to 60 with boons as soon as possible, and this means a significant time commitment. Fey blessing enchants are a good way to gain rank 4s for refinement, tho getting them past the lesser version can be difficult but will likely pay off over time. A big problem is that this is all obscure information.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    A good point and i'm glad you brought it up. At this point the short answer is zen. The next best option for coal wards with no up front cost is praying. I have 4 characters and in two months of praying have received 1 coal ward.

You can't get enough Zen without having a ton of AD. New players don't have it, and won't for a while. I consider 2 months with 4 characters to also be a while - and that's for 1 coal ward.

We need more options.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Your still not addressing why someone would bother with with a teaching run in the first place other than being nice or having fun.

Because this person whom you are mentoring will then help YOU complete the harder content, MC/VT/CN or the new dungeon in mod4. But if you just farm the gear for them, they won't learn how to actually use their gear.

New players are not running T2 dungeons now because of the DD chest bug. Now, it's just players who are already geared farming the boss drop loots.
  • Options
    crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So, TR is my main and I am finding myself pretty much unwanted in dungeons. However, I had a great idea on how to help new players out, play my favorite class, and benefit in the process. On my TR I can solo any T2 dungeon save TOS in 40 minutes or less. I can also get a party of 7-11 k people through these dungeons with ease.
    My idea is this. I get said party of people through the dungeon, they get their chest and chance at T2 set piece, I get the end drop, everyone wins.
    I can understand how some people don't like watching someone else do everything else, and how they can get bored. But I'm thinking there are alot of new players gearing up that are being excluded from T2 dungeons and would just be happy to get through these dungeons with a minimum amount of pain and 100% chance of success.

This is my problem - First I spend a large amount of time finding these people in the first place. Then I spend a huge amount of time explaining everything. Then, more then half the time they just don't listen, make the boss fights harder, In general make the whole dungeon run twice as long as I could have done it solo. To top it off, after the final boss is dead, one, or more, or everyone, NEEDS/GREEDS the end drop even after I have clearly explained the rules.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? Would the legit channel be a good place to go for this. I've never checked it out before. Anyway, I want to help new players gear up, and I don't see any reason why we can't both benefit greatly, but I'm tired of being extremely frustrated, and constantly shafted. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Dude, most people in this game are selfish and not wise. You don't get any sign of gratitude from anyone for doing anything for them. Leave this idea. Have fun doing something which is worth it. Dunno, maybe try help guildies only or do what you like. Tthis idea has no chance to success. All you will get is being used as slave, if not that they will kick you in the end. PUG people are not worth any help like you propose-doing everything for them.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Your still not addressing why someone would bother with with a teaching run in the first place other than being nice or having fun.

To help new players. Like you claimed you wanted to in the OP. Since you don't see the reason for doing a teaching run, you don't seem to actually have that motivation and are instead just making rationalizations for selling runs.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    To help new players. Like you claimed you wanted to in the OP. Since you don't see the reason for doing a teaching run, you don't seem to actually have that motivation and are instead just making rationalizations for selling runs.

I second that.
    You seem to want to sell runs by having the new players agree to giving you the boss loot, every time. Seems like your biggest problem is players rolling greed/need.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    I second that.
    You seem to want to sell runs by having the new players agree to giving you the boss loot, every time. Seems like your biggest problem is players rolling greed/need.

Personally, I might have a fun enough time just helping people out and clearing the dungeon as a challenge. However, having people appreciate my efforts or listen at all and not actually making the run harder usually doesn't happen. Whatever my personal reasons are I don't see it working as a system that could become popular and widespread unless the runs are "sold". Now people can have the opinion that this is morally reprehensible and that this would be a terrible idea. Personally, I think excluding new players for T2 content, farming unbound drops, and then selling these drop to the very new players that were excluded is much worse, if more indirect.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The new players don't have the ad to buy their set's from the ah, it's vets looking to save time that do that.