test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW Today VS CW after Mod 4

gosmaticgosmatic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2014 in The Library
Im opening this thread so i feel people opinions and possibly tested content on preview so it helps me make a decision for next module way to go as a CW.

Im not raging about the changes, im looking forward to them actualy. CW is realy too overpowered on PVE, in terms of potential. It might not be too easy to accompliosh that potential but its there... As a CW i can do TOP damage, i can do TOP control, i can heal myself better than any cleric... This makes it easy to solo lot of party content and to do consistent 3-man and 2-man runs of CN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmvQeL9DAzc

I've been on preview and we lose a lot of damage potential, but we wont fall short on control. Opressor will be very good for controling mobs and buff party effectiveness, Renegade is a very interesting tree also. Thaum takes a bit of a bite but we cant say its bad... So CW is deffinitively more interesting now. Great spells like Icy Terrain will flourish again (plz fix the performande issues on it), eye of the storm wont be mandatory so more room to play with class features, lot of thinking to do!

Hope you can contribute with build ideas, tests, bugs you find, theorycrafting, etc.... I will whenever i can, lets make this a big thread to shape the CWs of tomorrow XD
Post edited by gosmatic on

Comments

• Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't know about you,but i'm neither top Dps , nor Top Controller and i'm a 17k cw.Not everyone has Perfect and Rank 10 enchants you know. So saying cw is overpowered is an overstatement, especially when their damage comes from aoe effects ,that is they do medium damage to many targets. Pvp is let down for cws and that is a shame.Even by giving more control nothing good will come because of tenacity and cc immunity other classes and monsters have in abundance.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't know about you,but i'm neither top Dps , nor Top Controller and i'm a 17k cw.Not everyone has Perfect and Rank 10 enchants you know. So saying cw is overpowered is an overstatement, especially when their damage comes from aoe effects ,that is they do medium damage to many targets. Pvp is let down for cws and that is a shame.Even by giving more control nothing good will come because of tenacity and cc immunity other classes and monsters have.

I stated clearly PVE, CW on PVP can only serve as support dps.

And i dont even have 17k GS, surely not have any rank 10. It's all about build and playstyle. The thing is you can be on top of all of those topics without need for much gear. Sociopath who has same build as i do and does same dps, sold his vorpal and ran with GPF and the difference was about 15% less dmg. That is not that much, so even the perfects wont matter that much. Also i use a Lesser Soulforge... You made some incorrect assessments.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thaum's going to be pretty OP in PVP, that's what we can say for sure right now. It'll become a GWF/GF/DC killer when played right. But what's better is that Oppressor is also going to become another viable path to take in PVP as a support CW. 75% control bonus, imagine the possibilities with the many control powers the CW has, and add Shatter. Multiply their duration by 1.50 (factoring the average Tenacity players have), that 2.5 second Shatter will get an added second to it. It's just incredible, and you can even kill players from a 90' range as a Thaum via Assailant + Bile (as Bile procs Assailant as well). Spam Ray of Frost from a distance and watch them lose HP from multiple Assailant ticks. :)
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thaum's going to be pretty OP in PVP, that's what we can say for sure right now. It'll become a GWF/GF/DC killer when played right. But what's better is that Oppressor is also going to become another viable path to take in PVP as a support CW. 75% control bonus, imagine the possibilities with the many control powers the CW has, and add Shatter. Multiply their duration by 1.50 (factoring the average Tenacity players have), that 2.5 second Shatter will get an added second to it. It's just incredible, and you can even kill players from a 90' range as a Thaum via Assailant + Bile (as Bile procs Assailant as well). Spam Ray of Frost from a distance and watch them lose HP from multiple Assailant ticks. :)

Don't bet on Assailant staying the way it is currently. It is not calculating damage correctly on preview.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Don't bet on Assailant staying the way it is currently. It is not calculating damage correctly on preview.

Yep! But however it turns out, we can't argue that the CW will become more viable for PVP. Specially when you have a mechanic that shreds 15% of your opponents HP as unresistable damage. :)
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014

First they'll have to fix Orb of Opposition since it's bugged and doesn't increase Control Duration. If and when they do it'll be good for Oppressor as a 75% increase will almost double CC duration. However lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Tenacity and CC immunity will minimize or negate its effectiveness in both pve and ,mostly, pvp.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gosmatic wrote: »
    Im opening this thread so i feel people opinions and possibly tested content on preview so it helps me make a decision for next module way to go as a CW.

Im not raging about the changes, im looking forward to them actualy. CW is realy too overpowered on PVE, in terms of potential. It might not be too easy to accompliosh that potential but its there... As a CW i can do TOP damage, i can do TOP control, i can heal myself better than any cleric... This makes it easy to solo lot of party content and to do consistent 3-man and 2-man runs of CN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmvQeL9DAzc

I've been on preview and we lose a lot of damage potential, but we wont fall short on control. Opressor will be very good for controling mobs and buff party effectiveness, Renegade is a very interesting tree also. Thaum takes a bit of a bite but we cant say its bad... So CW is deffinitively more interesting now. Great spells like Icy Terrain will flourish again (plz fix the performande issues on it), eye of the storm wont be mandatory so more room to play with class features, lot of thinking to do!

Hope you can contribute with build ideas, tests, bugs you find, theorycrafting, etc.... I will whenever i can, lets make this a big thread to shape the CWs of tomorrow XD

man thats some op skill
    teach me plz hehe
  • Options
    akeel3akeel3 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi ...so far i m here coz there nerf CW ....1st of all i was on preview i tried it ...for me it wasnt good and not funny only nerfing thats it
    and 2nd thing if u want to make other class useffull go and make them better not nerfing CW every time to push player ...pick other classes
    ... i can also keep complain about TR in pvp coz he hit every 1 and no 1 can see him ...so i i say to DEVs i dont like the new nerf and u should work on other idea (make other classes better ) and I SAW TO ANY CW WRITE UR OPENEION ABOUT IT IF U R PLAY CW AS DPS. and if the nerf keep it on i ll stop playing this game...we playing the game for fun dont make it not funny with those nerfing (i supose to do Dps with any class there if i choose the right gears ..for ppl that saying CW too OP then u can say other classs r too low
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It helps if you post your feedback in the thread on the test forum where the Devs will read it, instead of here.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?692711-Official-Feedback-Thread-Control-Wizard-Changes
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Guys, what about enchants? New content is not that ad-centered and i guess vorpal for CW is RIP (Since no EoS and lots of mini hits instead of big nukes so wepon dmg on hits might make more difference). I'd like to see some thoughts about this :D
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gosmatic wrote: »
    Guys, what about enchants? New content is not that ad-centered and i guess vorpal for CW is RIP (Since no EoS and lots of mini hits instead of big nukes so wepon dmg on hits might make more difference). I'd like to see some thoughts about this :D

... not sure, but if you have 2.5 crit, and eots slotted, why are you still not better then all the other classes? even dots crit, plus fix of arp.

Still seems to me that vorp is best.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    ... not sure, but if you have 2.5 crit, and eots slotted, why are you still not better then all the other classes? even dots crit, plus fix of arp.

Still seems to me that vorp is best.

It really, really depends on the build now. Before Vorpal was best, no question. But that was when we have huge hits with extremely high crit % thanks to EoTS. Now that damage is way, way down there are now other builds that can be competitive with other enchants. In particular Dot's with Plague Fire can be mighty impressive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah the damage is realy reduced, even dot dmg is very low now compared to before. So if u get a "% weapon dmg" on every hit, that amount might add up to more that the extra % on crit dmg. I believe that a flaming would be good against small groups of enemies and single target high hp mobs and lighning would be best for dungeons with lots of adds like Castle Never. I tested lignthning on preview and it does a great slice of dmg (tested with ACT), bigger or at least equivalent to the effect of vorpal on current version.

For single target fights though, vorpal will still be nice, so will terror or GPF.
  • Options
    namiren94namiren94 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any opinions about Master of Flame path? I'm talking about the PvE aspect here.
    I was testing it on preview, and it seems really interesting. Icy Terrain + Chilling Presence + Chilling Advantage + Smolder seems a nice combo. The +15% crit severenity is also neat. I'm planning on going for 40% crit, with the added 5% from the feat, it sounds nice.

The only problem I noticed, is if I refresh a non-crit Smolder with another Smolder, it stays that way. Same with a crit Smolder, refreshing constantly makes it a perma crit Smolder.

Being Spellstorm now doesn't add too much advantage, aside from Sudden Storm's damage.
  • Options
    thirdquestionthirdquestion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited July 2014
    omg all GWF's now - images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH5nqyYOazjx1R5B8om__mDwore2pABPZTlgEaZP6yzs3jH-MWuA
  • Options
    seniorhobsseniorhobs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    namiren94 wrote: »
    Any opinions about Master of Flame path? I'm talking about the PvE aspect here.
    I was testing it on preview, and it seems really interesting. Icy Terrain + Chilling Presence + Chilling Advantage + Smolder seems a nice combo. The +15% crit severenity is also neat. I'm planning on going for 40% crit, with the added 5% from the feat, it sounds nice.

The only problem I noticed, is if I refresh a non-crit Smolder with another Smolder, it stays that way. Same with a crit Smolder, refreshing constantly makes it a perma crit Smolder.

Being Spellstorm now doesn't add too much advantage, aside from Sudden Storm's damage.

I've been playing MoF since it was added. I've never built my CW for pure dps, having just recently delved into dungeons for the first time, it performs well in terms of dps currently if played right, but the real benefit is the debuffs and the overall affect that has on a group run.

MoF has made for a great dps/control/support role and I don't see that changing come Mod 4. Infact with the gwf nerfs I suspect the field will simply be more even based on test shard play (personal skill levels aside).

In short, if you play your CW for something other than pure dps, you will not be so disappointed come Mod 4.
  • Options
    axis40axis40 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    i done one cn with pf and have to say i was doing more dmg then with vorpal(my crit is 28)
    that debuff is crazy good and i only have normal one
  • Options
    xultrakillxultrakill Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Control Wizard: Assailing Force: This feat is now half as effective on players.
    Control Wizard: Freeze: This hold no longer breaks from damage. It is now only resisted with Control Resist.

now the control wizard is not a glass-cannon map-bombarding mage, it's a control freak, both PvE and PvP.

seem to me, currently, damage wise, CW are getting a ~33% nerf in damage purely looking at encounters. less than 20% damage nerf if looked as a whole as all feats got buffed. That isn't too bad for me even without the control ability buff.
  • Options
    vaschevasche Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    seniorhobs wrote: »
    I've been playing MoF since it was added. I've never built my CW for pure dps, having just recently delved into dungeons for the first time, it performs well in terms of dps currently if played right, but the real benefit is the debuffs and the overall affect that has on a group run.

MoF has made for a great dps/control/support role and I don't see that changing come Mod 4. Infact with the gwf nerfs I suspect the field will simply be more even based on test shard play (personal skill levels aside).

In short, if you play your CW for something other than pure dps, you will not be so disappointed come Mod 4.

MoF only has one debuff compared to SS, and its just a little bit above 1% damage increase.

But hey, I still love playing as a MoF.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xultrakill wrote: »
    Control Wizard: Assailing Force: This feat is now half as effective on players.
    Control Wizard: Freeze: This hold no longer breaks from damage. It is now only resisted with Control Resist.

now the control wizard is not a glass-cannon map-bombarding mage, it's a control freak, both PvE and PvP.

seem to me, currently, damage wise, CW are getting a ~33% nerf in damage purely looking at encounters. less than 20% damage nerf if looked as a whole as all feats got buffed. That isn't too bad for me even without the control ability buff.

"Control Wizard: Nightmare Wizardry: This feat has switched places with Energy Recovery and now requires 10 points in Renegade to access it.
    Control Wizard: Energy Recovery: This feat has switched places with Nightmare Wizardry and now requires 5 points in Renegade to access it."

Even if Asssailang force is buffed and the pvp whining is smartly solved they are also getting away nightmare wizardry from Thaumaturgy.
    So as they says: given with one hand taken back with the other...