test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So... Where Are My Screencaps?

mechaghandimechaghandi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I had just recently finished up the Spy Catching event in Blackdagger Ruins, and I had gotten first place. Mind you, this is the first time I've ever really won anything, so I was rather proud of this. I decided I wanted to take a screencap with the results board up for posterity.

However, when I hit the print screen button I got... nothing.

I hit it a few more times. Still nothing. No text. No confirmation of the screencap. No listing of the newly capped screen's filename that the screencap imps would place in my chat log, letting me know where they sent my precious infant picture for me to pick up from daycare. (On a side note, I've tried using the "/screencap_ui.jpg" function, but that doesn't really help for reasons that will become obvious soon.)

So then I start perusing the forums, and people are saying it's saved to the "C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/PerfectWorldEntertainment/Arc/Neverwinter/Screencaps" folder (or something to that effect).

One problem. That folder doesn't exist. At least not in my computer. I mean, my folder goes as far as "C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/PerfectWorldEntertainment/Arc/", but there's no Neverwinter folder at all.

I eventually resigned myself to simply alt-tabbing and pasting the screencap into paint and saving it as a jpg, but I started to wonder...

Where are the screencaps even supposed to go? Does the in-game screencap function even work? Are my screencaps currently starring in a "Save the Displaced Screencaps" campaign while Sarah McLaughlin music plays in the background?
Post edited by mechaghandi on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It'll be in a folder that's somewhere like \Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\screenshots

You can do a general search for "gameclient.exe" and it should be in a subfolder of wherever that executable is...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because I got neverwinter initially through steam my screenshots are located in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\neverwinter\live\screenshots

Also, all you do is press print screen and it'll save a screen capture. The game doesn't confirm it or anything, but it works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you run Win 7, then it should be as C / Users / Public / Games / Cryptic Studios / Neverwinter / Live / Screenshots

• two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hit it a few more times. Still nothing. No text. No confirmation of the screencap. No listing of the newly capped screen's filename that the screencap imps would place in my chat log, letting me know where they sent my precious infant picture for me to pick up from daycare.

Yeah, a lot of screenshot confusion could be reduced if taking a screenshot triggered a chat message like:
    [System Notify] Saved screenshot to path\filename
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't you have to do something funky to get a screenshot with UI elements preserved (like scoreboards)? I think the default strips them out.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mechaghandimechaghandi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It'll be in a folder that's somewhere like \Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\screenshots

You can do a general search for "gameclient.exe" and it should be in a subfolder of wherever that executable is...

Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of searching before.

I found it in the Steamapps folder, despite the fact that my current installation wasn't through Steam. Steam apparently just decided to get shared custody of the game with Arc or something, and that Steam gets the family photos.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of searching before.

I found it in the Steamapps folder, despite the fact that my current installation wasn't through Steam. Steam apparently just decided to get shared custody of the game with Arc or something, and that Steam gets the family photos.

NP. Glad you found them.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums