test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

hunter ranger or trickster rogue for pve?

cerenathcerenath Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
hey there after playing my gf to 40 i feel bored with his slow animation and no dodge etc. so i'm looking for a new class.
but i'm not sure with one will be the right choice. i know its not a GWF not CW(are they still going to be top with the nerfs that mod4 will bring? but what class will be the better choice for pve dungeon?(if there both about equal witch one is better for solo questing?)

so bring on the tr/hr debat:D
Post edited by cerenath on

Comments

• Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cerenath wrote: »
    hey there after playing my gf to 40 i feel bored with his slow animation and no dodge etc. so i'm looking for a new class.
    but i'm not sure with one will be the right choice. i know its not a GWF not CW(are they still going to be top with the nerfs that mod4 will bring? but what class will be the better choice for pve dungeon?(if there both about equal witch one is better for solo questing?)

so bring on the tr/hr debat:D

I have one character of each class, and although not all of them have reached lvl 60 yet, I think I can say I enjoyed leveling my HR (currently at lvl 55) a lot more than my TR (at 60) - which was neverthelss even more fun than my GF. The HRs just felt so powerful in PvE, in particular at the lower levels - although that was before the nerf to Split Shot, but that is because I enjoy the archery - being able to take down groups of enemies from a distance, before they have a chance to get to me. The TR is perhaps more fun if you enjoy getting up close to your targets.

Having said this, my favourite class by far is the DC, but I expect the new SW to be a close second.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    I have one character of each class, and although not all of them have reached lvl 60 yet, I think I can say I enjoyed leveling my HR (currently at lvl 55) a lot more than my TR (at 60) - which was neverthelss even more fun than my GF. The HRs just felt so powerful in PvE, in particular at the lower levels - although that was before the nerf to Split Shot, but that is because I enjoy the archery - being able to take down groups of enemies from a distance, before they have a chance to get to me. The TR is perhaps more fun if you enjoy getting up close to your targets.

Having said this, my favourite class by far is the DC, but I expect the new SW to be a close second.

I have TWO of every class (except GF - sorry) already at level 60. The ultimate choice of which to play is your own. My contribution is to reiterate what Adinosii said - twice. Though the Rogue is a lot of fun to play, the Ranger was just so much more... interesting. TR's are 100% melee and have very few AoE tools - but they move very fast and it feels like high-energy...think: Bruce Lee combat.

The Hunter, on the other hand, doesn't wreak "high-energy" the way the rogue does, but rather a more conservative, "carfully-thought-out strategy" feel to it. The Ranger feels like there's a lot more variety in attack and combat types and styles, and it also can switch into melee mode, albeit the Ranger's melee is nowhere near as much fun as the Rogues. Think more like a boxer - good energy and strength, but slower combat than martial arts.

Speaking for myself: If I were limited to only two character slot, and don't want to delete my 50-something GF and had only one slot left: I'd go Hunter Ranger. Hands-down. Though I know I speak only for myself and others' tastes vary. Just for kicks: my first HR was a Female Menzobarranzen Drow and my second was a male Half-Elf - my rolls were to optimize (get highest scores) in those stats that expedited cool downs. If that means anything to you.
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    HR for sure you get Split Shot at lvl 2 and then its all easy after that can kill a with 2 shots, I've lvled the GWF, HR, and CW and imho the HR was the fastest and most fun, granted you can't just face tank like the GWF but if you think out your battles most times the HR can kill everything without being hit (use shift a lot). Bosses can be a little rough in the 30-40 lvl's but that's about it, and no to melee all ranged FTW.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    HR is getting worked over for Mod 4 while TRs will have to wait either for a later module release or one of their interim balance updates.

Archery HR should be fairly strong in PvE. Combat (melee) HR will remain more of a PvP spec. I don't think the Trapper path that is replacing Nature has really found a niche at this time.

TRs currently suffer from being viewed as an undesirable member in group PvE content due to their lack of AoE damage capability. It remains to be seen how this will shake out with various changes that are in the pipe. They actually can be built into a more ranged rogue class using the Whisperknife paragon, which can be very fun but moves a lot of damage into sustained damage-over-time from the burst of the Master Infiltrator, which makes them slower killers than a lot of people want to play (esp. as a DPS class). TR is generally viewed as a class that is most successful using a stealth build in PvP.

They're both really fun. I'd say both are strong solo, but HR is probably going to have the edge for dungeons for the next little while anyway.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    thx for the info i made hr and so far i like it. made it a female drow:P but got few questions:P

does the stats on your melee qeapon counts if you use a bow or only when you use the melee weapons?

and what is a good startion companion when you reach 16?
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pretty much just echoing what others have said above, but here's my 2 coppers:

I find TR to be hands-down the most fun of any class for running solo content (I too have a 60 of each class). And TRs can be useful in dungeons. However, due to their lack of aoe, there is a general perception that they aren't worth taking into dungeons, so you will struggle to find groups unless you are in a good guild or know good people to run with.

HR, on the other hand, fits better with most groups' expectations and has a very versatile play style. They aren't one of the highly-sought classes like GWF/CW, but they aren't actively shunned the way TRs are. HRs are also a lot of fun solo, but to me they lack the frenetic-yet-fluid play style that I love about the TR. I've been playing the TR a lot longer, though, so it could well be an issue of familiarity.

Both are fun, but HR may offer you more opportunities if you're only going to play one or the other.

EDIT: lol, guess I didn't see the last post
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd go healer as your first companion but at only 2 gold you could have all of them within 10-20 lvls, the stats on your blades always add to your stats regardless of what stance your in, i think your damage is an average from both your items damage, but i could be wrong as i'm not 100% sure about that. But when your lvling it doesn't really matter just look for DPS stats and use what ever is recommended, lvling is so fast it doesn't matter, usually while lvling i just hold all the items till i go back to protectors enclave then gear up for the next area.
  • Options
    jimdenjimden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As others have mentioned it's all about You. How you want to play, what you want to play and accomplish.

My 2 cents, if my L 60 HR attacked as fast as my L 60 TR, hands down the HR would outshine the TR.

I enjoy my HR, ranged attacks, melee attacks a thrill to watch. Yet my TR is unmatched for attack speed.

Put it down quick move on. Solo CT, you'll see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    also made a tr on a diffrent account and level it do 16. and that was a bad idea...... because tr is also ALOT of fun..... looks like i need to sleep about it first...
  • Options
    lady808lady808 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My 2 cents... Rogues are still the kings of single target DPS. You'd be hard pressed to find another class that can out single target DPS a rogue.

Rangers are good at AoEs and can dish out quite a bit of damage if played well against groups of mobs.

Both require skill and timing to play. Both can be played as either ranged or melee. Rangers are the only one of the two that can do both with the same character. Rogues, you kind of have to choose which way to build.

Rogues aren't getting touched in mod4 much.

Rangers are getting a buff in mod4 (from what I understand).

Rangers, in my opinion, require more in the way of skill, timing, and thinking out your fights.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you're going to ride my HAMSTER... At least pull my hair"
    Taking the trash out, one badguy at a time.
    "Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your trash back."