test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Official Discussion Thread

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in The Foundry

Feel free to discuss the Cult of the Dragon Foundry contest in this thread.

For details:
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/6002703

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wow , nice prizes , good luck to everybody who takes part!

oops sorry , wrote this before I read the red >_< sorry xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sounds fun! Thanks. Do you have any links to Cult of the Dragon lore? Especially what they wear/clothing style/color/etc. Also what races/classes they typically include. I'd like for the baddies in my quest to match what will be coming with the next module.

/edit
    I see there are Cult of the Dragon encounters in the Foundry already. Perfect! Though more lore is always good.
  • Options
    dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wininoid wrote: »
    Do you have any links to Cult of the Dragon lore?
    This should be a good resource: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_dragon
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    It is a bit annoying that this got posted one day after the 'Foundry Update' day, so people create and have to wait a whole week to get their Foundry Quests made available for review.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do we have to start a brand new quest for this? what about editing previous quests to make it fit the contest? I have some rp maps that I've posted before and I'd like to include some of them as maps for the quest (of course adding an actual story to them)
    Also, great to hear of a foundry contest! I really think we should have more of these :D
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Great idea, I'll definitely be participating. (And hopefully winning) A couple questions though.

1.) If one of the second or third place winners has a Hero of the North pack, will they be allowed to choose a lower tier one? Because otherwise the third place would be the best prize for me, and probably several other people as well.

2.) Why are we leaving the winners up to stars? It seems like it would be better to decide them the same way as featured quests are decided. (Which I know is chosen by a Cryptic employee/Cryptic employees.)
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    It is a bit annoying that this got posted one day after the 'Foundry Update' day, so people create and have to wait a whole week to get their Foundry Quests made available for review.

Um. What are you talking about? Why would anyone have to wait a week for a review?
  • Options
    wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dtz wrote: »

Thanks, dtz! I don't know much about these guys outside of what is currently in game.
  • Options
    docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll give it a go. Good luck, everyone! Looking forward to playing through all those draconic adventures!
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you do one, DocScooter, are you going to set it in Dumedalot? I have a half done foundry that could work but it is one of the Academicals' quests. My husband thought that might disqualify it or that Cryptic might prefer it not have any connection to anything not directly in the main game itself.

Thoughts?
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't see anything in the rules against that. I'm planning on using the Brightstone Explorers' Guild for mine (outside the main campaign storyline, though).
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I'm glad to hear other people will set them in their "shell" stories. Since I was already using the Cult of the Dragon in this it does seem a natural option.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I started creating the maps, and no, my entry will not visit Dumedalot. (Those poor villagers need a break. :rolleyes:)

I'm actually going to start with a couple of pre-made maps this time, but of course I'll highly modify them to fit the story I have in mind. Nothing too fancy -- hey, we've got a limited time to get these adventures finished, polished, and published.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

orangefiree asks an excellent question! If you would like a lower tier pack, you are more than welcome to have one. Just let us know :)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm a little worried about this:
    • The winners will be decided by the community! After 8/6, we will post a list of the eligible Foundry quests for the community to play and rate. The 3 highest-rated Foundry quests will be declared the winners!

In some of past foundry quests we had "existing" quests that happened to fit (if you squinted) the theme be eligible -- and they already had LARGE numbers of plays/reviews/stars going into the contest. A brand new quest created just for the contest seems to be at a heavy disadvantage from the start if existing quests are allowed.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    A brand new quest created just for the contest seems to be at a heavy disadvantage from the start if existing quests are allowed.

I share your concern. The rules should be amended. The quest really should be created specifically for this contest.

I'm also curious how they'll publish the links for the contest entries. Will they all be "featured" in some way so that players can find contest quests to test/judge?
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hmmm...I suppose I could change the goblins in my dungeon quest I'm working on to kobolds instead...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The winners will be decided by the community! After 8/6, we will post a list of the eligible Foundry quests for the community to play and rate. The 3 highest-rated Foundry quests will be declared the winners!
    This actually concerns me. Unless they count it differently, the new authors will be at horrible disadvantage to the old-timers/popular authors with subscribers.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Will all entries be spotlighted/featured in some way or do authors need to try and get plays/rates on their own?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think they should have a new tab that comes up first in the catalog which says CONTEST and list them all there then have it go away once the contest is over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    I think they should have a new tab that comes up first in the catalog which says CONTEST and list them all there then have it go away once the contest is over.

Yep. And only quests created specifically for this contest should appear under that tab. So on the first day of "judging," everyone starts with zero plays and no stars.
  • Options
    mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I considered entering but honestly.. I'm pretty average as far as foundry goes. I look at other people's foundries and I just think.. I can't beat these guys lol. So I'm just going to support my guildies in this case. Good luck Reiwulf and Orangefiree and any others in my guild that enter :)
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    Will all entries be spotlighted/featured in some way or do authors need to try and get plays/rates on their own?
    I remember what happened in the contests back to foundry beta. We'll see.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    heh, seems like winners will be people with most "friends" and guildmates that will buff their quest ratings and nerf other contestants quests ratings....
    Never leave rating to community... because right now someone might create arena type quest with dragons, name it "Dragon brawl" turn it into 15 minutes fight with generic combat and then call 300+ guild/"friends" to help them and rate it for 5 stars. After that they would ask their guildmates/"friends" to play others quests and rate them 1 star even if that quest would have maxed out complexity in 15 minutes and interesting story but no, community decides and like in our "awesome" real world whoever has more connections will win...
    Well, pesimism aside, nice contest.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Hey everyone! I totally understand your concerns about the visibility of the eligible Foundry missions. What we're going to do is post a blog with all of the eligible Foundry missions' names and short codes. This way, all of the entries will receive at least some visibility (the rest is up to the author). As for new quests, I'll amend the rules due to popular demand. Quests must be created for this contest. This gives everyone the same amount of time to create something amazing. Is that okay with everyone?

• Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cloud990pl wrote: »
    heh, seems like winners will be people with most "friends" and guildmates that will buff their quest ratings and nerf other contestants quests ratings....
    Never leave rating to community... because right now someone might create arena type quest with dragons, name it "Dragon brawl" turn it into 15 minutes fight with generic combat and then call 300+ guild/"friends" to help them and rate it for 5 stars. After that they would ask their guildmates/"friends" to play others quests and rate them 1 star even if that quest would have maxed out complexity in 15 minutes and interesting story but no, community decides and like in our "awesome" real world whoever has more connections will win...
    Well, pesimism aside, nice contest.

This. This is exactly what's going to happen if you leave the judging to public.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    akromatik wrote: »
    ...I'll amend the rules due to popular demand. Quests must be created for this contest. This gives everyone the same amount of time to create something amazing. Is that okay with everyone?

Yes. Absolutely. Thank you! That's awesome! (And it will encourage new quests in the Foundry, which is always a good thing.)

Now... if anyone happens to be in a really huge guild that wants to support me, let me know... :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I'd also like to point out that in order for a quest to win, it must be on the list that I'll put up when the contest is over. This will allow us to weed out any farm quests or quests that don't meet the requirements.

• Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    akromatik wrote: »

I'd also like to point out that in order for a quest to win, it must be on the list that I'll put up when the contest is over. This will allow us to weed out any farm quests or quests that don't meet the requirements.

Well that is helpful. While it doesn't do anything to eliminate the advantage of having a guild or lots of subscribers who will be biased, I am pleased to hear that quests will at least be vetted first.

Now I just have to get my computer back from the shop so I can get into the game. This tablet can't install it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]