test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric Weapon Skins...symbols only? Really?

baka777baka777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Temple
So....the Devoted Cleric is stuck with the "symbol" as their only weapon. I am of the opinion that the symbol weapons look terrible, especially when in their "scabbard." It's like the only place your character could think to put their 24 inch faux-crucifix is in their 4 inch deep front pocket. The thing sticks out in a most comical fashion. What happened to the mace & staff? Is there really not even an option for those in the 4th edition rules?

I would like to propose that clerics be given either a new weapon skin like mace/staff/scepter, or at least be given the option to use them. I'm curious to know what other clerics-to-be think about this issue....
Post edited by baka777 on

Comments

• iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would love to see some more skins added to the Symbol or additional weapons available to clerics. I do not particularly mind the symbol and I do like the look of it, but the same bland symbol for the majority of your time leveling is a little lack luster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it fits this specific cleric build. I'd like to see other implements for the cleric, but with other cleric builds.
  • mothdrumsmothdrums Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I figure that a cleric in the current world of Forgotten realms dose not need a mace or hammer because the gods place a unlimited amount of holy javelins of light in there devoted's hands.
    enginsizesig2_zps97620aec.jpg
  • sundqvist79sundqvist79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I voted for other weapons than the symbols, but I feel a need to qualify my answer somewhat.
    As Baka said the symbols look off when sheathed, they look like they would rip up ones armpit quite badly. Also they look like they lack depth or weight, rather two dimensional.
    Either fixing the sheathed issue or giving the option of other weapons would be greatly appreciated.
  • nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I like the Brand of Fire animation :) You lift up your Holy Symbol that is in your offhand and brand the enemy with it

The mainhand has a bunch of skins, and I data mined at least 4 deity ones ... but I agree that having only one choice for an implement is silly. Especially that censor-like thing. Granted there were magical censors in D&D, but I hardly doubt all Clerics use them as an implement.

If nothing else, I hope they give a range of ones later, that can be used via the reskin feature (kinda like GW2 I guess)
  • llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm used to clerics in Forgotten Realms being pious and not owning a weapon at all. Maybe we should go with that? Bare-handed clerics.

I think one of the reasons clerics run around with the symbol is so people can determine their class from afar. Each class has something tell-tale to distinct them from other classes. Means a lot in PvP, when I'm gunning for he mage or cleric, all I have to look for is their clunky symbol or floating orb.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • djvapid101djvapid101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just picked up a pre-order bundle ($60 version). I haven't had a chance to really read about the game, check it out or anything. I just love Forgotten Realms. With all that said, if I can play a dwarven war cleric with a big mace, I'll be happy. If not, as it seems to be the case based on this thread, I'll be a very sad panda.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    llelowyn13 wrote: »
    I'm used to clerics in Forgotten Realms being pious and not owning a weapon at all. Maybe we should go with that? Bare-handed clerics.

I think one of the reasons clerics run around with the symbol is so people can determine their class from afar. Each class has something tell-tale to distinct them from other classes. Means a lot in PvP, when I'm gunning for he mage or cleric, all I have to look for is their clunky symbol or floating orb.

Pious?

*The cleric laughs maniacally*

You will do well to correct your perception and thank Tymora that you did not face a cleric like Fzoul Chembryl till now!
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I've said in other threads on this topic, I'd really like Devoted Clerics to wield a shield in their offhand plus a weapon of choice in main hand. If we must wield the implement, I'd prefer that it be shrunk down to half it's size. And I'd still like to wield a shield in the offhand too :P

And while I'm talking about gear changes I'd like for Devoted Clerics, I'd like some plate armor too. :)
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • baka777baka777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, I stumbled upon something interesting while reading up on the D&D 4e clerics. It said that clerics do have the proficiency to use any simple weapon, but when they use a symbol implement as a weapon the symbol's enhancement bonus (+3, +4, etc.) gets added to all attack/damage rolls. I guess Cryptic just made the assumption for us that nobody in their right mind would self-nerf that much just to use a mace, so they only gave us symbols for weapons?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I have said many many times - the mechanics of this game have nothing to do with 4e gameplay mechanics. It has its own generic MMO mechanics which are masked as 4e mechanics.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually starting to like the symbol, but option is always better to me. I would like a staff myself.
  • redstonedawnredstonedawn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Devoted Cleric uses symbols. As a ranged class, what good would having a melee weapon be to them? We will eventually see melee or hybrid clerics eventually.
  • iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The symbols did start to grow on me and I eventually got an alternate graphic for the symbol. It was a tiny... and I mean TINY... little lantern thing. I felt like I was preparing to go camping rather than slaughter hundreds with divine inspiration. I would love to see a little more... diversity in the symbols and that alone would make me over joyed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    baka777 wrote: »
    Hmm, I stumbled upon something interesting while reading up on the D&D 4e clerics. It said that clerics do have the proficiency to use any simple weapon, but when they use a symbol implement as a weapon the symbol's enhancement bonus (+3, +4, etc.) gets added to all attack/damage rolls. I guess Cryptic just made the assumption for us that nobody in their right mind would self-nerf that much just to use a mace, so they only gave us symbols for weapons?
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought thats what it did anyway? Also, unless they make it +200 or something, i dont think a difference of 5 points in damage would matter in this game. 4e by itself, yes, but not when all the enemies have enough hitpoints to fight ao
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I wanna play a female Drow cleric of Lolth !

I want her to wield a whip in her main hand and chains in her off hand...maybe some handcuffs in her belt and tight fitting leathers with.......ahem,what was the question again ?
  • franjean82franjean82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure we'll see more class archetypes. The symbols make sense for the Devoted Cleric, but I'd much rather play a Battle Cleric myself.
    Rogue.jpg

Player of Wilcomb Goodale
  • kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have never played or wanted to play a cleric in 20+ yrs of DnD (PnP or CRPG), but for this game my main @ launch might just be the devoted cleric. I'm not sure what it is he just feels and looks cool/fun. I love the symbol skins too. I hope that eventually we get deity specific symbol skins, that be awesome in a can.

The battle cleric or warlord should (hopefully) be along soon enough to satisfy those that want the warrior-priest melee leader.
  • vilelily#0678 vilelily Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I play a dwarf DC, and if i can't use a Hammer or a mace, i wish i would at least be able to have and ale.
    That it what i want as a symbol, A big tankard that has a little fx effect of ale sloshing over.
    i hate the way my cleric looks, being used to 2.0 D&D primarily i thought i'd at least to hit things with a mace
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Aaargh.. sucked into another necro. Disregard this.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • laurentiolaurentio Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    love cleric , only class i stood by till now (years, 3-4) , however ,.... simbols do rly look terribile , ... using shields would afect stats so not what i'd recomand,... staff would be my wep of choice, with some holy simbol on top, animation would nead to be adjusted tho ,... more kneeing down i'd reckon ,... would make sence to pray alot with cleric no ?
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This thread is unique. Somehow it didn't get closed the first time it got necroed and it just got necroed a second time. O.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    *the old mage unleashes silverfire to finally put this undead creature to rest*
This discussion has been closed.