test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CTA events, what players expect or want....

wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
CTA was suppose to be fun events, last one was so terrible, and rewards are lame comapred to risks.

i would like to see and make proposal few ideas.
for +60 levels...
1. enchants and runs no lower than rank 4 from loot drops, any higher rank would be random from a chest.
2. potions/kits/id scrolls bonus drops
3. random rewards from chest...
A. uncommon pet
B. talamur bars (small amount than lockboxes)/rare chance of getting it, about 3-6 bars.
C. Mark of Potency (small chances to get)
D. random profession assest/crew (any green ranks) for small chance to get.

As for under 60th level characters
1. enchants and runes are no lower than 3's and better chances with chest for higher ranks.
2. standard drops on potions and kits base on levels.
3. chest updates
A. random chance on uncommon pet
B. random extra Astral Diamonds 5-10 by low chances to get
C. same chances for wards with white/green and chance of blue.

so, that all i offer and hope to see anyone else who may have better version or more balance rewards than i posted, so let not get too greedy.

also, if someone else claim it is too boring or too easy, hopefully devs may have 2 copies of zones for standard and hardcore zone for different challengings, but make sure both have same rewards but not restricted "elite" loots that only benefits specific players.
answer would be for hardcore/extreme zone would be bigger cash drops, astral drops, or extra bars, but not any purple/golden items, remember, some players dont have access to tier 2 items.

happy huntings!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    . . . Great ideas!

. . . I really loved it when they introduced the Merit system for CTAs, so super cool - especially for casual alt-addicts like myself with 15+ characters. Never-the-less, I would like to see it expanded or improved a bit:

. . . I would like to see all rewards possibly attainable (yes, even enchants and potions) specific to the CTA(s) become available for Merits on the respective Merit Vendor for the associated CTA. Just make all the "rare chest loot" (like companions) be Bind to Account on Picup in the Merit Vendor while leaving them as Bind on Equip when looted from the chest at the end of the CTA. Also, put the Transmute's in the Chest Loot table and make them really rare but Bind on Equip while leaving them in the Merit Vendor as they are.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Great ideas!

. . . I would also like to see all rewards possibly attainable specific to the CTA(s) become available for Merits on the respective Merit Vendor for the associated CTA. Just make all the "rare chest loot" (like companions) be Bind to Account on Picup in the Merit Vendor while leaving them as Bind on Equip when looted from the chest at the end of the CTA. Also, put the Transmute's in the Chest Loot table and make them really rare but Bind on Equip while leaving them in the Merit Vendor as they are.

Pretty much this , so tired of spamming CTA events and not getting the companion drop , also wish the developers would check on the RNG drop mechanic in this game , I know it sounds like a tinfoil hat theory but I'm certain some accounts are more 'lucky ' than others .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thanks, and yes, i like "merit tokens" idea too, good for extreme players wanting extra merits. i do like original CTA chest rewards and so i just added my list to make chest run more attractive and desirable.
  • Options
    mestremaxmestremax Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2014
    What would really be nice is if the system awards the CTAs were equal to gain a Boon, you collected a few items in this case would be within the CTA and would progress through the event and earning rewards according to the amount of items obtained this would avoid the problem luck or lack thereof.
  • Options
    wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    at least a new possibility of a blue companion(the only blue companion to ever show was the blue skeletal dog) and or some mount. the rest maybe better weapon skins or even more, some new ARMOR/clothes, the only clothing item on cta is the peg leg iirc...
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tarmalune bars are not going ot be given w/ CTAs - they are pretty much a lockbox-only thing.

I would like to see only R4's for level 60's - R1-R3 should drop as appropriate to a player's level, otherwise.

A BoP version of the companion or mount should be in the CTA medallion of battle shop.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree, this last CTA was a down right slap in the face of the players.

The Pet was so rare that instead of averaging 50k on the AH, they were averaging 150k while the CTA was on. Most people I know didn't even get a single pet, including myself. On top of that, as far as I could tell, the enchant drops were also heavily reduced and I could be mistaken, but I don't recall getting rank 3's from the chest in any of the other CTA's.

Moving forward, I would love to see the same system as Respen's return. Having rare BOE pets from the chest and BOA pets that can be bought was very nice. Furthermore, if the reward rate of the pet is not to be set back to previous levels, then I would like to see a Blue quality pet from the chest, with a Green one available for purchase.

As the OP stated, CTA's are supposed to be a fun limited time event, but if people feel like they are Slaving away for nothing then there is no fun to be had and more and more people will stop running the CTA's.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Great ideas!

. . . I really loved it when they introduced the Merit system for CTAs, so super cool - especially for casual alt-addicts like myself with 15+ characters. Never-the-less, I would like to see it expanded or improved a bit:

. . . I would like to see all rewards possibly attainable (yes, even enchants and potions) specific to the CTA(s) become available for Merits on the respective Merit Vendor for the associated CTA. Just make all the "rare chest loot" (like companions) be Bind to Account on Picup in the Merit Vendor while leaving them as Bind on Equip when looted from the chest at the end of the CTA. Also, put the Transmute's in the Chest Loot table and make them really rare but Bind on Equip while leaving them in the Merit Vendor as they are.
    All of this, plus upping the chance at getting the companion. Or start the chance to get the companion where it currently is, then every subsequent time you run through the event, the chance increases. Something like (base chance)*(attempt), then reset the attempt number when you actually get it. I would also like to see companion upgrade tokens added to the loot table as a reasonably rare drop. It would be great to see a wider variety of high level companions out there, but it costs way too much to improve all the companions that *might* be good at level 30.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    I agree, this last CTA was a down right slap in the face of the players.

The Pet was so rare that instead of averaging 50k on the AH, they were averaging 150k while the CTA was on.

The AH price on the pet was less about the drop rate and more to do with market manipulation and the value of AD being extremely weak, at the time of the event.
  • Options
    jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    The AH price on the pet was less about the drop rate and more to do with market manipulation and the value of AD being extremely weak, at the time of the event.
    It was about a lot of people giving up and deciding to just buy the @#$% thing. At one point with a day left in the event, there were almost as many chickens on the AH as lizards.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    personally i think it's odd to have an expectation that you're going to get something in a random event. by grinding said event, if i grind it enough times, i might get it but then again i might not. i have participated in all CTAs since they started and there have been times that i've gotten the items and there have been times that i haven't. sometimes i've gotten the companion quickly and other times i had to do a lot of CTAs. fact is, i have no data that indicates that i wasn't just lucky sometimes and not so lucky other times.

running the event for 100 times and having no companion or belt to show for it may be enough data for you to assume that the overall drop rates were low for this event, but fact is that there are other people that got these items quickly and possibly even multiple times.

i don't think i should expect to get the good stuff all the time in a limited event. but i won't blindly grind either. just my two cents.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I usually really look forward to CTA events. And normally I have a blast the first day and part of the second day, then am too burnt on it and only run if asked to fill. (I think that is a good thing.)

This time I ran 4 maybe 5 times.. enough to get 4 dye packs (can't remember if I got one each time.) That's all I wanted out of it, and I even considered just buying them after the first run.

Wish this particular pet had been more rare than it was. If I had won it, I would have had a couple hours of fun trying to find interesting ways to get it killed. Other than that.. it is pretty annoying and not much else. I had to turn off the FX portion of sound in game because of this pet's puke-sounds which seem to be never-ending.. lol.

As far as rewards, I hope to see in CTA's a decent number of enchants for RP fodder, some nice dyes, some nice transmutes (I hated all of them this time) and a useful companion.

Well, this time I got 4 dye packs that fit one of my chars nicely. But I know some people probably liked this CTA just fine. Different strokes and all that.

Edit- (I've gotten the pet from every CTA... if I wanted it. Sometimes on the first few runs, sometimes after a couple hundred. I've yet to want it and not get it.) I've gotten some that I didn't want, and gave them away.. like that nasty druid one..
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    drinnthdrinnth Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Random is random. Even with a 1 in 2 chance, you can flip a coin and get heads 100 times in a row. The odds of that happening is suppose to be low, but it can in fact happen. The coin is suppose to be considered "fair", meaning you are suppose to have the same odds of getting either result. But what happens if the coin is not "fair"? Someone with knowledge into pseudo-random generators would know that the system isn't really random, it is a sequence of numbers that approaches and attempts to be as close to random as possible. But most PRNGs can at times be streaky. Now split that streakiness over a multitude of players. Those who understand what or how the RNG is being seeded can abuse that to their advantage. Things like location, time and other various factors can be used to seed a generator.

For some reason, Neverwinter's RNG is most likely "fair" since digital dice are hard to cheat on. But the sequence once reversed engineered can be taken advantage of. Most of us feel the RNG is really kicking us in the behind. It's not and it is mostly our own paranoia due to the low chance of most rewards in the game. Still doesn't change that fact, most of the player base is frustrated and annoyed.

What can the developers do? They could be more exact about chances and give a way to see the rolls happen or give players a way to roll the dice. But ultimately, I don't think there is really much they could do to change it. The RNG will still be "unfair" to some and blessed to others. Who knows, maybe the RNG seed is the numerical equivalent of your character's name?
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I went ahead and just bought the companions (7 of them). I think the average I paid was 100k-110k. That was a lot better than grinding for the dumb things. Basically the same thing I've done for the past 6 or so CTAs. CTA events just aren't fun if you're only trying to get the companion.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    personally i think it's odd to have an expectation that you're going to get something in a random event.

I don't agree. My expactation of any event is to have fun. While fun is very subjective to me it also means that I get something in return. Just running any event repetitively without getting anything is hardly fun. Having to rely on the RNG is not fun (even if this time I was lucky and got the companion on the first try and the ancient curio on the second).

On the other hand it is more likely fun if one has a goal to work for. It gives a fealing of satisfaction and accomplishment when the goal is reached. With random drops you can hardly have that. You were lucky and accomplished nothing.

If most people feel that way it might be better for Cryptic to allow players to work for their goals. Give them alternatives to random drops.
  • Options
    qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wylonus wrote: »
    [snip]
    for +60 levels...
    1. enchants and runs no lower than rank 4 from loot drops, any higher rank would be random from a chest.
    2. potions/kits/id scrolls bonus drops
    3. random rewards from chest...
    A. uncommon pet
    B. talamur bars (small amount than lockboxes)/rare chance of getting it, about 3-6 bars.
    C. Mark of Potency (small chances to get)
    D. random profession assest/crew (any green ranks) for small chance to get.

As for under 60th level characters
    1. enchants and runes are no lower than 3's and better chances with chest for higher ranks.
    2. standard drops on potions and kits base on levels.
    3. chest updates
    A. random chance on uncommon pet
    B. random extra Astral Diamonds 5-10 by low chances to get
    C. same chances for wards with white/green and chance of blue.
    [snip]
    May I ask why you want to give players beyond your level worse rewards from the chest than you would like to have?
    Don't you think a level 40 could make use of a e.g. Mark of Potency?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    those are basic ideas, if you got better ones, then provide your version, with your statement QQ, it seem you put down on other folks, you skip what you just clipped what my original post, i said in that post, "if you have better ideas, then go ahead".

i for one need tons of mark of potency, i came back recently, and i had older enchantment merging formula, and no way to make updated new runes and enchantment with what i have, i stop playing when i had rank 4s and been away for 6 months, and coming back to find out it all been changed and had to relearn new system.
    without mark of potency, i would find myself at roadblock, and cant afford auction prices.
    so the idea was to help some returning players a few jumpstart to catch up with old group buddies who are ahead and advanced.

any items from CTA's chests would be bind on pick up or by account to prevent overflooding auction market, also CTA was the best way, supposely better way to gear up and some xp levels.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why cant the Merit Tokens be used to purchase a companion,like the transmutes? Make it BTA, but leave the ones from the chest as they are. ;)
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    personally i think it's odd to have an expectation that you're going to get something in a random event.

I can only surmise that you don't understand the concept of enticement. Without rewards people don't do things. Even if it is your own personal goal, or you feel better for having done it. Players don't feel better for running a skirmish 100 times, they only do this to try to get the rewards, which might I add are prominently advertised. If very few people are getting these rewards, than very few people want to continue to participate.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    While I don't disagree that AD is weak at the moment, I strongly disagree that this is the reason why the prices are so high. When looking at the AH you typical would see 200-300 CTA pets, but there were usually (as far as I recall) less than 100 shaman at a time.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I feel the ctas are actually worse now then when I joined the game.. I remember the first won I ran I got like 50 Rank 5 blues, which to me was really good, since I always need stuff to refine with.

Now, honestly, I join for about 40 -50 runs max get a few dye potions and give up.
  • Options
    cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    i want a GREATsword(y gwf weps are so darn tiny) that doesnt pentrate my body and legs.
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This was the first CTA that I couldn't be bothered to farm I ran it maybe 6 times during skirmish hour and then gave up, partly because I really hated this particular skirmish and partly because the rewards were just not worth it. In previous CTAs you at least got some enchantments to refine your artifact, in this one I was lucky if I got a single rank 1 from the ground and then the chest gave me a rank 3, woohoo.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Next months CTA is ( yes the calendar notification needs work xD ) -

qOH6mrb.jpg

For the love of all that is holy , developers PLEASE add a bound version of the companion to the CTA store , pretty please with sprinkles and everything!

1A7zAs9.jpg
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif