Install Arc
Options

EU server desperately needed!

2»

Comments

• Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1) Zeb does not speak officially for the company, so saying he should just say "Cryptic has this policy..." is completely inaccurate and inflammatory.

2) Unless you're getting latency ONLY on the final hop to the actual server, the matter is out of Cryptic's immediate control.

3) Regardless of the game, Cryptic has always had a single shard architecture. (For those saying "but but but they have a Russian shard..." that shard isn't maintained or owned by Cryptic/PWE but rather the Russian licensee for PWE games).

Again, saying "this game works fine so that one should as well" is like saying you should be able to drive just as well to Paris as you can to Berlin even though the routes are completely different. If there's an issue anywhere in the route from point A to B, then I don't care how close the servers are to you, or what kind of uber expensive or fast connection you have, there are going to be latency problems. Unless you're actually physically plugged hardline into the server itself, you simply cannot say it's only the server's fault.

Now, you may all continue to make suggestions and plead your case but if this thread continues to be argumentative and insinuate that Cryptic favors one segment of their playerbase over another, I will close this down.
    1. If he's not speaking on company behalf we should be free to criticize his words.

2. Demonsstrably not true as the option of having an EU server is something under Cryptic/PWE control. No one is stopping them from adding a server except that they run their games single server.

3. When all the other games consistently work fine for EU players, but Neverwinter does not, the issue is demonstrably not between EU and US.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    firstdegreeburnsfirstdegreeburns Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    mestremax wrote: »
    The point is that several new games are taking the same posture PWE/Cryptic placing all players in one shard to increase volume needed for many functions of the game become increasingly faster, for example the PvP queue. I agree with that.

With the division of a U.S. and other EU shard the number of players of both would decrease a lot to make the most grueling game for everyone.

The issue of Russian shard is very simple anyone who has played on a Russian server like me, knows that very well, most Russians do not speak English and is preferred to play with other Russians is because of ease with the language, not the latency of the game.

I don't think we need an entirely separate shard. I am sure it would be possible to have eu instances for pvp; where a player can select which pvp server he plays on, nobody cares about 200ms in protectors/or most open areas for that matter. This would maintain the mmo feel when not matchmaking, but when it comes to exchanging blows Europeans would have much more satisfying experience. This is an action MMO and 0.2seconds really does count at top level pvp, how can i ever convince my guild members to invest months of time +cash on returning to the game when i know deep down we can never compete with top usa premades?
    lil-TriXz-0f-h0p3, lil-Sp3llst4r-0f-h0p3 | Guild = play2win
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If he's not speaking on company behalf we should be free to criticize his words. *snip*

You can criticize whomever's words you like, so long as you do so in a non-inflammatory manner as dictated by RoC. However, saying he should just "man up and admit that Cryptic has this policy...", as he does not speak for Cryptic on matters of policy outside the forums and Rules of Conduct, is rather improper.

On topic: I would present the argument that before the Cryptic/PWE merger, their primary base was NA and EU players. Now, also consider that Cryptic is based in Los Gatos, CA...while their servers' data center is in the Boston area--on the other side of the US.

My best guess is that they were aiming for the closest land-based point geographically central to their main player base.

And for those that argue about geographical proximity? I'm in Alabama, USA....and I still get lag and rubberbanding on a frequent basis. Every trace I've run shows that one particular hop indicated in this thread as a problematic issue. However, it doesn't always come up as a problem. It seems completely random--and this may be why Cogent is having fits with getting it resolved.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Before this thread is locked. I think it will be soon, let me quickly add my contribuition to the debate.

People are getting very agitated...

I agree on the fact that EU need a server. Alot of times I am having weird latency spikes and my ISP is fine, don't know it's name in english, but it is the best cable (special glass material that conduces light...fiber or something)..and I have latency at this game. I DON'T have latency at any other game Aion/WoW/LoL/LOTRO/etc.... (It's something about Cryptic's server...not our ISP)

It makes no sense.

There are alot of EU players, and if we get a server for ourselves, 1 big server at central Europe (Germany for exemple)..everyone would be close and we would not have problem.
    We have alot of players and payers, so we won't have problems to enter PVP and Dungeons.

Thanks for reading,

Almondum.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    almondum wrote: »
    Before this thread is locked. I think it will be soon, let me quickly add my contribuition to the debate.

I agree on the fact that EU need a server. Alot of times I am having weird latency spikes and my ISP is fine, don't know it's name in english, but it is the best cable (special glass material that conduces light...fiber or something)..and I have latency at this game. I DON'T have latency at any other game Aion/WoW/LoL/LOTRO/etc.... (It's something about Cryptic's server...not our ISP)

It makes no sense.

There are alot of EU players, and if we get a server for ourselves, 1 big server at central Europe (Germany for exemple)..everyone would be close and we would not have problem.
    We have alot of players and payers, so we won't have problems to enter PVP and Dungeons.

Thanks for reading,

Almondum.

And, I'll rebut your argument with the same argument I have almost everyone else in this thread: You can have the absolute best connection money can buy. If there is an issue in the route between your PC and the server, then you are going to have issues. Also, the argument of "I can play this or that competing MMO" is useless, as different routes are involved. It would be like saying "since I can drive from here to Berlin with no problems, I should be able to drive to Paris just as easily even though there's a huge wreck somewhere..."

Let me try and illustrate it like this.

Think of each hop in your trace as a segment of a long trip. Now, let's say that there's a huge car wreck along one segment of that trip.

Everything before that segment is traveling at a nice, stately pace. However, traffic is going to take some time to get around that one wreck....and since connections are a two way street, anything coming back along that route is going to have some time as well.

Your route is that trip, and the wreck in question is the te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com hop. Since it's not owned or operated by Cryptic, there isn't much Cryptic can do. They can work with their provider to see if that relay can be gotten around...but that may not be a possibility.

Put another way: You can drive a Ferarri, but if there's a traffic jam, you're going to be slowed down to the speed of a Yugo.

Now, could it be beneficial? Yes. But to the degree everyone is making it out to be? Not enough to justify the cost outlays of doing so, I'd imagine. Like I said above, it looks like rather than take the regional shard approach (which would also segregate the game to a massive degree) they chose to take the geographical center of position approach (based on presumption that Boston, MA is the geographic center point of Cryptic's main player base).
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2014
    ok then maybe i was a bit harsh so far so i wont argue any more on the fact that we need an eu server
    seems that i strongly believe we need it and the mods (company?) believe its not such an issue or at least not worth it
    let me have a different opinion and bet on it too
    but anyway
    i want to ask directly someone from the company that can speak officially this time plz
    will they or will they never make a central eu server as all other big mmos have?
    from your words seems that no is the answer but i want to be sure from someone that CAN speak for the company
    since im a customer i think i deserve an answer as most of my friends who spent money
    not to mention ofc that this "problem" makes me thinking about other new games of cryptic like swordmaster which i would love to try
    but if it has the same issue then its gone for me unfortunately. after all even if it does have an eu server who can verify that one day they wont "merge" it to the us and suddenly your investment is useless?
    no i wont say ever that the company favors those players instead of others since i dont believe they do it for this but clearly for money reasons but in the end theyre driving ppl away

ps. i tried the proxy solution of eu = well i move in a more narrow ping range now of 200-300 while before i was 180-2000 which is something - i can pve better but competitive gaming is out of the question still
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    It is hard to say never...

But I can say there are no plans at this time.
    And last time this was responded to by the company the goal was to remain a single shard game avoiding location specific servers except when legalities prevent access to the main shard.

There has been no evidence that this stance has changed.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It is hard to say never...

But I can say there are no plans at this time.
    And last time this was responded to by the company the goal was to remain a single shard game avoiding location specific servers except when legalities prevent access to the main shard.

There has been no evidence that this stance has changed.

Then I would raise the issue of the EU proxy server here, which for me makes matters worse. Switching to this, the game becomes slower. This proxy server needs looking at, as it now appears to be the only option left for us.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    firstdegreeburnsfirstdegreeburns Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    lyaise wrote: »
    Then I would raise the issue of the EU proxy server here, which for me makes matters worse. Switching to this, the game becomes slower. This proxy server needs looking at, as it now appears to be the only option left for us.

Or a PVP (instance) server, where you can select what server you want to play domination on.
    lil-TriXz-0f-h0p3, lil-Sp3llst4r-0f-h0p3 | Guild = play2win
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

3) Regardless of the game, Cryptic has always had a single shard architecture. (For those saying "but but but they have a Russian shard..." that shard isn't maintained or owned by Cryptic/PWE but rather the Russian licensee for PWE games).

Actually that's not correct, they may have a single shard architecture now but they have not always had so. Remember, City of Heroes was a Cryptic game with multiple shards including some in Europe.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    edited June 2014

It makes no sense.

Thanks for reading,

Almondum.

personally I'd stay on the most populous English speaking server, which will be the US server... *shrug*
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And, I'll rebut your argument with the same argument I have almost everyone else in this thread: You can have the absolute best connection money can buy. If there is an issue in the route between your PC and the server, then you are going to have issues. Also, the argument of "I can play this or that competing MMO" is useless, as different routes are involved. It would be like saying "since I can drive from here to Berlin with no problems, I should be able to drive to Paris just as easily even though there's a huge wreck somewhere..."

Let me try and illustrate it like this.

Think of each hop in your trace as a segment of a long trip. Now, let's say that there's a huge car wreck along one segment of that trip.

Everything before that segment is traveling at a nice, stately pace. However, traffic is going to take some time to get around that one wreck....and since connections are a two way street, anything coming back along that route is going to have some time as well.

Your route is that trip, and the wreck in question is the te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com hop. Since it's not owned or operated by Cryptic, there isn't much Cryptic can do. They can work with their provider to see if that relay can be gotten around...but that may not be a possibility.

Put another way: You can drive a Ferarri, but if there's a traffic jam, you're going to be slowed down to the speed of a Yugo.

Now, could it be beneficial? Yes. But to the degree everyone is making it out to be? Not enough to justify the cost outlays of doing so, I'd imagine. Like I said above, it looks like rather than take the regional shard approach (which would also segregate the game to a massive degree) they chose to take the geographical center of position approach (based on presumption that Boston, MA is the geographic center point of Cryptic's main player base).

There is no need to go that far. Just use Physics....the Light takes less time to travel from London to Berlin, than from London to USA...and don't forget the Atlantic Ocean.....from London to Berlin, you can use a land cable connection, but from London to USA...a cable connection...well..is abit tricky...even if it exists (I think it does, we're at XXI century after all)....it has limits and it is naturally much more "crowded" than the "route" from London to Berlin.
    Why? Examples: Facebook, 90% of Electronic Mail brands, Youtube.....long etc.
    There are much more people using the internet websites which physical servers are at USA...than people who use websites that end up at Germany....and we reach your points..."alot of cars at the same road...slow traffic...etc"

It is must easier and faster to light to travel from London to Berlin, than from London to California (random city from the state).

That difference is enogh to cause all this nonsense...because what you reffered...even if it makes sense, it would happen everywhere, with all games. I play other games and there are NO problems, the connection is great. So it is all the difference of time travelled by the light in our cables.
    It is not my ISP fault.

EU deserves a server for themselves, we have the population, we have the payers. Now we would like to have a server.
    Please give us the server we deserve.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    EU deserves a server for themselves, Now we would like to have a server.

we do?we would?
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    There is no need to go that far. Just use Physics....the Light takes less time to travel from London to Berlin, than from London to USA...and don't forget the Atlantic Ocean.....from London to Berlin, you can use a land cable connection, but from London to USA...a cable connection...well..is abit tricky...even if it exists (I think it does, we're at XXI century after all)....it has limits and it is naturally much more "crowded" than the "route" from London to Berlin.
    Why? Examples: Facebook, 90% of Electronic Mail brands, Youtube.....long etc.
    There are much more people using the internet websites which physical servers are at USA...than people who use websites that end up at Germany....and we reach your points..."alot of cars at the same road...slow traffic...etc"

It is must easier and faster to light to travel from London to Berlin, than from London to California (random city from the state).

That difference is enogh to cause all this nonsense...because what you reffered...even if it makes sense, it would happen everywhere, with all games. I play other games and there are NO problems, the connection is great. So it is all the difference of time travelled by the light in our cables.
    It is not my ISP fault.

EU deserves a server for themselves, we have the population, we have the payers. Now we would like to have a server.
    Please give us the server we deserve.

Thank you.

Um... I think you're under quite a bit of misunderstanding. Physics does not play as much of a role as you may think.

First off, the measured speed of light you are referring to is in a complete vacuum. Any medium that light has to travel through will reduce its speed considerably. If you've seen a rainbow at any point in your lifetime, you've observed this principle. Secondly, fiber optic cables work on laser light and refraction of said laser along the length of the cable--and the signal must must pass through several repeaters, else the data in that signal will attenuate to nothing.

For the record, most transoceanic cables are undersea fiber optic cables, and many land-based cable providers also use fiber optics in their lines.

Now, to address your point of "not having any problems with other games". I will say this again: Different games take different routes to their respective servers. With all due respect, it's getting a little old using that strawman argument to blame the company/server for latency because it dismisses out of hand a basic, commonsensical truth about internet based gaming.

Don't believe me? Run a traceroute to a different games' server--if, mind you, the company in question will even publish or release the URL or IP address of their game server. You cannot expect that every game will run equally in terms of latency for the simple fact that the paths are different. An issue with one route does not necessarily affect another.

No one has blamed your ISP. It has only been said that it isn't unheard of for EU ISPs to throttle users' available bandwidth (and many NA companies do so too) for certain types of data transfer.

Nevertheless, neither the numbers nor the facts on a traceroute lie. FYI: The servers are not in California, but rather in the Boston, MA area--a difference of about 2400km.

As to volume of use...without hard numbers to back up your statements on that, I'm afraid that's nothing more than assumptive speculation.

Bottom line is what Ambi said above: Nothing can ever be truly ruled out, however, Cryptic has operated with its existing single shard setup for long before the PWE merger.
    antovaras wrote: »
    Actually that's not correct, they may have a single shard architecture now but they have not always had so. Remember, City of Heroes was a Cryptic game with multiple shards including some in Europe.

That being the case, it's also possible that Cryptic may not have had a favorable experience with that setup and chose to go the single shard route they use today. *shrug* Maintaining multiple data centers is neither an inexpensive nor simple endeavor.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    xiouixioui Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In europe we realy cant move from lag. we are over a month that we are playing with minimoum grafs, and every 10 minites we are watching "server not responding" for 40 - 45 secs everywere!! in dungeons in pvp in icedale everywere! we need 15 - 20 minits only to log in!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    As to volume of use...without hard numbers to back up your statements on that, I'm afraid that's nothing more than assumptive speculation.

You want me to estimate, how many people use the trans-atlantic internet cables to acess USA physical servers of their countless companies?! I think you would be a good resercher if you have the patience to dig deep with persistance.

It does not take a genious to realise the heavy traffic that those lines have, you have Facebook, you have Skype....Youtube....99% of Internet based Social Media are from USA....if you need to acess one of those programms...you must use the transatlantic cables.
    Now, I won't even visit wikipedia to bring you the number of Europe population + Occidental Russia and Turkey + North of Africa + Arabic Peninsula and nerby countries....which also use the transatlantic line to acess Facebook and alikes..

All major internet websites, social programmes, video browsing websites, movie streams....are all physicly at USA....and Everyone uses them. This is XXI century, if you haven't realized yet,

Europe is much smaller than Asia, and you can easily have several hours per day of heavy acess and usage of the transatlantic cables

If you have millions of people acessing the same route (the only route) for several hours during the day....there will be latency.

Europe needs a server for it's own. We can't play decently and compete against USA players. It won't cost you much to give us a server.

It does not matter if it's geographical location's fault, if it's our ISP fault. We are your customers, and we are not satisfied. We are NOT being able to have fun...and alot of us sends euros to this game...and that's more than enogh to at least consider the fact that we are having latency and that we need a server.

Server for Europe please, thank you.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Um... I think you're under quite a bit of misunderstanding. Physics does not play as much of a role as you may think.

First off, the measured speed of light you are referring to is in a complete vacuum. Any medium that light has to travel through will reduce its speed considerably. If you've seen a rainbow at any point in your lifetime, you've observed this principle. Secondly, fiber optic cables work on laser light and refraction of said laser along the length of the cable--and the signal must must pass through several repeaters, else the data in that signal will attenuate to nothing.

For the record, most transoceanic cables are undersea fiber optic cables, and many land-based cable providers also use fiber optics in their lines.

Now, to address your point of "not having any problems with other games". I will say this again: Different games take different routes to their respective servers. With all due respect, it's getting a little old using that strawman argument to blame the company/server for latency because it dismisses out of hand a basic, commonsensical truth about internet based gaming.

Don't believe me? Run a traceroute to a different games' server--if, mind you, the company in question will even publish or release the URL or IP address of their game server. You cannot expect that every game will run equally in terms of latency for the simple fact that the paths are different. An issue with one route does not necessarily affect another.

No one has blamed your ISP. It has only been said that it isn't unheard of for EU ISPs to throttle users' available bandwidth (and many NA companies do so too) for certain types of data transfer.

Nevertheless, neither the numbers nor the facts on a traceroute lie. FYI: The servers are not in California, but rather in the Boston, MA area--a difference of about 2400km.

Bottom line is what Ambi said above: Nothing can ever be truly ruled out, however, Cryptic has operated with its existing single shard setup for long before the PWE merger.

That being the case, it's also possible that Cryptic may not have had a favorable experience with that setup and chose to go the single shard route they use today. *shrug* Maintaining multiple data centers is neither an inexpensive nor simple endeavor.
    So what your saying is that physics has less to do with lag because speed of light is measured in a vacuum and in the world of actual transmission things light goes slower. That means more lag for EU than the speed of light calculated value, not less.

Also you try to say maybe the EU isps are bandwith throttling. If they were bandwith throttling, then they'd be throttling more games than this single game (as shown by posts here, its only NWO that has a problem). Its hard to believe EU isps are choosing to single out a single game.

As the EU people point out, the transatlantic cables are stuffed with all kinds of traffic because of the number of US sites.

All problems that could be solved by giving EU players their own server. Instead they are frustrated. Frustrated customers dont spend money.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It does not take a genious to realise the heavy traffic that those lines have, you have Facebook, you have Skype

Skype has servers in Luxembourg , Facebook has servers for European users based in Lulea, Sweden .
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You want me to estimate, how many people use the trans-atlantic internet cables to acess USA physical servers of their countless companies?! I think you would be a good resercher if you have the patience to dig deep with persistance.

It does not take a genious to realise the heavy traffic that those lines have, you have Facebook, you have Skype....Youtube....99% of Internet based Social Media are from USA....if you need to acess one of those programms...you must use the transatlantic cables.
    Now, I won't even visit wikipedia to bring you the number of Europe population + Occidental Russia and Turkey + North of Africa + Arabic Peninsula and nerby countries....which also use the transatlantic line to acess Facebook and alikes..

All major internet websites, social programmes, video browsing websites, movie streams....are all physicly at USA....and Everyone uses them. This is XXI century.

Europe is much smaller than Asia, and you can easily have several hours per day of heavy acess and usage of the transatlantic cables

If you have millions of people acessing the same route (the only route) for several hours during the day....there will be latency.

Europe needs a server for it's own. We can't play decently and compete against USA players. It won't cost you much to give us a server.

It does not matter if it's geographical location's fault, if it's our ISP fault. We are your customers, and we are not satisfied. We are NOT being able to have fun...and alot of us sends euros to this game...and that's more than enogh to at least consider the fact that we are having latency and that we need a server.

Server for Europe please, thank you.

So, what you're basically saying is "I can't 'compete' with NA players, therefore, I want to segregate the game and just play with other Europeans." That about cover it in a nutshell? Because cutting through the rest of the fluff, and taking into the account the rather snide nature of your reply, that's what I'm seeing.

That sentence bolded in red speaks volumes as to the apparent motive behind your post.

This is a game played globally. Cryptic has taken the step of placing its shard as close to geographically central to both EU and NA players as the configuration of the Earth allow--after all, you can't place a server somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. Regionalizing the playerbase is simply pointless.

Also, your assertation that "it won't cost much..." Um, again, numbers on this or you're just speculating. You're talking about the costs of establishing and maintaining a completely separate data center and shard 24/7/365. I sincerely doubt that's inexpensive, else EVERY company would do it.

Bottom line: It's a nice thing to have, maybe. But it's not owed as a matter of right or because X or Y MMO company does it. Each business has its prerogative to set up their infrastructure as its resources and logistics permit, not necessarily as a matter of convenience. You can wave all the money you wish--it does not give you the right to dictate how a company should organize its assets. It's also spelled out in ToS that "the service may not meet your expectations or requirements". If your requirement is that the game have a dedicated EU shard, I'm afraid that clause would apply.

That being said, I wash my hands of the matter. I've no interest in engaging in a circular argument.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    wanderer0000wanderer0000 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    pvp on this game is VERY biased in favor of people with lower latency. everyone not on NA is suffering from massive lag.
    not to talk about the badly optimized game for the most common hardwares like intel hd graphics and other low end pc/laptops around.
    I never played this game with less than 250/300ms lag NEVER, and that is on a good day.

all things being equal in power/skill, pvp is mainly decided by latency and it is clear what the advantage goes to.

THAT SAID, I am not a fan of separated servers, but they should at least improve the current situation.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So, what you're basically saying is "I can't 'compete' with NA players, therefore, I want to segregate the game and just play with other Europeans." That about cover it in a nutshell? Because cutting through the rest of the fluff, and taking into the account the rather snide nature of your reply, that's what I'm seeing.

I'm seeing someone trying to pick up on details in my language. Read what other people also said, there are few who agree with me, and even explain why your points are not optimal.

"I can't compete with NA players" -these are your words, not mine. I said that EU players can't compete with NA players. Why?Because we are LAGGING...when you dodge..you get pushed back..just an example....

I'm really tired of this nonsense. Alot of us gave more than enogh reasons to consider this option. Not that I don't like all the things you done around the forums(you did alot of cool stuff), but as a Moderator your words might be heard louder to the Devs than ours.
    So there is no benefit in keeping explaining, even if there are other people who also explain why we need a server, you keep insisting on the same thing...or try to pick up something else, playing with my words and perverting them.

We are Cryptic's CUSTOMERS, we are YOUR customers, because you are Cryptic's volunteer, so you work for them and we are the clients you are moderating. Now when a Customer tells you that something is wrong, you should not immediatly jump on them and try to give a thousand of reasons just to see them wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, you can express your opinion, this is a democracy after all, for now, but have in mind that we are Clients, and we have a complaint and just because this is virtual and I don't see a physical product, it does not mean that we are not clients anymore and that all client policy is invalid/no compains book. Forums are not the only way to share feedback or complain.

Our gameplay is being affected, and we are appealing for its improvement. If Cryptic can't control the WorldWideWeb, I guess the only choice is creating a EU server. Why? Because as you said...they can't control the routes to their hub...so they must solve the frustrated customers problem in another way.

We are playing this game and paying for it while playing via ZEN Store. We are not satisfied because we are NOT being able to play normally.
    Our goal is to be heard by Cryptic as CLIENTS/CUSTOMERS.

We are NOT here to know why we are lagging. We are here to ask for a solution so we can play, because right now are CAN'T decently play. Dedicated server is our suggestion.
    Now, how Cryptic will solve this problem, does not matter/is not of our concern. We are frustrated and we want our problem solved as paying customers.

EU Server please, thank you very much.

NOTE: None, none of this words mean to offend, refrain or disrespect someone specificly(person/player).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm seeing someone trying to pick up on details in my language. Read what other people also said, there are few who agree with me, and even explain why your points are not optimal.

"I can't compete with NA players" -these are your words, not mine. I said that EU players can't compete with NA players. Why?Because we are LAGGING...when you dodge..you get pushed back..just an example....

I'm really tired of this nonsense. Alot of us gave more than enogh reasons to consider this option. Not that I don't like all the things you done around the forums(you did alot of cool stuff), but as a Moderator your words might be heard louder to the Devs than ours.
    So there is no benefit in keeping explaining, even if there are other people who also explain why we need a server, you keep insisting on the same thing...or try to pick up something else, playing with my words and perverting them.

We are Cryptic's CUSTOMERS, we are YOUR customers, because you are Cryptic's volunteer, so you work for them and we are the clients you are moderating. Now when a Customer tells you that something is wrong, you should not immediatly jump on them and try to give a thousand of reasons just to see them wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, you can express your opinion, this is a democracy after all, for now, but have in mind that we are Clients, and we have a complaint and just because this is virtual and I don't see a physical product, it does not mean that we are not clients anymore and that all client policy is invalid/no compains book. Forums are not the only way to share feedback or complain.

Our gameplay is being affected, and we are appealing for its improvement. If Cryptic can't control the WorldWideWeb, I guess the only choice is creating a EU server. Why? Because as you said...they can't control the routes to their hub...so they must solve the frustrated customers problem in another way.

We are playing this game and paying for it while playing via ZEN Store. We are not satisfied because we are NOT being able to play normally.
    Our goal is to be heard by Cryptic as CLIENTS/CUSTOMERS.

We are NOT here to know why we are lagging. We are here to ask for a solution so we can play, because right now are CAN'T decently play. Dedicated server is our suggestion.
    Now, how Cryptic will solve this problem, does not matter/is not of our concern. We are frustrated and we want our problem solved as paying customers.

EU Server please, thank you very much.

NOTE: None, none of this words mean to offend, refrain or disrespect someone specificly(person/player).

That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Like I said more than once--a business reserves the prerogative to deploy and manage its infrastructure assets in a manner that logistics and cost permit. And I have also stated that Cryptic makes no guarantees that its services will meet your standards or your requirement in any way, shape, or form.

Simply because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I can in any way influence a major decision like that. This isn't a matter of "hey, let's add an event" or "how about this or that option in the ZEN store". This is a major cost outlay for Cryptic, and that decision--justly so--is made way, way, WAY higher up the chain than anyone in the forum community. I mean, you're talking about the cost of several servers (I'm not familiar with the exact size of a shard, but I wouldn't think it small), the wages of the engineers and the technicians to maintain the hardware (and unless I'm mistaken, as I know and have worked with several people from the EU, wages are SIGNIFICANLY higher in the EU than the US), and the cost for overhead for the data center to house the servers.

You can ask for an EU shard all you wish to. I haven't said that you can't. I'm just saying that Cryptic can't do anything about the way the Internet operates, and creating region-specific servers (and thus, in turn, unnecessarily segregating the playerbase) isn't always the best or most cost-effective option. I'm sure that many NA players have made friends with EU players and wouldn't want to have to go through the rigamarole of creating and investing in a new character from scratch simply to play with their friends on a new shard.

Whether one likes it or not, money is the lifeblood of any business. They wouldn't just go throwing money away recklessly any more than players would want to. Cryptic isn't stupid. They've been in business a while. They've tried the regional shard bit in City of Heroes. Did that work for them as well as they would have liked? I would think the switch to the single shard model would speak somewhat for that result--and I wouldn't think money was the only factor involved, that quality of play and the availability of a playerbase would have influenced that decision as well. The best compromise they made is the current setup--a geographically central shard to both the NA players and those in the EU.

I'm truly sorry that we disagree. However, it's not a matter of "America vs. Europe", as this thread seems to be making it out to be. I'm sure that Cryptic has crunched the numbers on this debate. I'm sure they know that a lot of MMOs do utilize regional servers.What they decided upon is, in their professional judgement, the most balanced course.

Now, is that the best course in the eyes of the players? Matter of opinion. Will they eventually create an EU shard? Who knows. This is just what they have chosen to go along with for now, and whether one likes it or not, the only option for the time being is to make the best of what one can.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    edited June 2014
    xioui wrote: »
    In europe we realy cant move from lag. we are over a month that we are playing with minimoum grafs, and every 10 minites we are watching "server not responding" for 40 - 45 secs everywere!! in dungeons in pvp in icedale everywere! we need 15 - 20 minits only to log in!

Sorry, but my connection is fine from the UK, I suggest you do a tracert.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I play from Turkey. Prior to mod 3, lag issues were very sporadic. After mod 3, frequent and game breaking.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Like I said more than once--a business reserves the prerogative to deploy and manage its infrastructure assets in a manner that logistics and cost permit. And I have also stated that Cryptic makes no guarantees that its services will meet your standards or your requirement in any way, shape, or form.

Simply because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I can in any way influence a major decision like that. This isn't a matter of "hey, let's add an event" or "how about this or that option in the ZEN store". This is a major cost outlay for Cryptic, and that decision--justly so--is made way, way, WAY higher up the chain than anyone in the forum community. I mean, you're talking about the cost of several servers (I'm not familiar with the exact size of a shard, but I wouldn't think it small), the wages of the engineers and the technicians to maintain the hardware (and unless I'm mistaken, as I know and have worked with several people from the EU, wages are SIGNIFICANLY higher in the EU than the US), and the cost for overhead for the data center to house the servers.

You can ask for an EU shard all you wish to. I haven't said that you can't. I'm just saying that Cryptic can't do anything about the way the Internet operates, and creating region-specific servers (and thus, in turn, unnecessarily segregating the playerbase) isn't always the best or most cost-effective option. I'm sure that many NA players have made friends with EU players and wouldn't want to have to go through the rigamarole of creating and investing in a new character from scratch simply to play with their friends on a new shard.

Whether one likes it or not, money is the lifeblood of any business. They wouldn't just go throwing money away recklessly any more than players would want to. Cryptic isn't stupid. They've been in business a while. They've tried the regional shard bit in City of Heroes. Did that work for them as well as they would have liked? I would think the switch to the single shard model would speak somewhat for that result--and I wouldn't think money was the only factor involved, that quality of play and the availability of a playerbase would have influenced that decision as well. The best compromise they made is the current setup--a geographically central shard to both the NA players and those in the EU.

I'm truly sorry that we disagree. However, it's not a matter of "America vs. Europe", as this thread seems to be making it out to be. I'm sure that Cryptic has crunched the numbers on this debate. I'm sure they know that a lot of MMOs do utilize regional servers.What they decided upon is, in their professional judgement, the most balanced course.

Now, is that the best course in the eyes of the players? Matter of opinion. Will they eventually create an EU shard? Who knows. This is just what they have chosen to go along with for now, and whether one likes it or not, the only option for the time being is to make the best of what one can.

So why don't you close this thread: as you carefully and gently implied, it's useless to ask and can become a zone-wars
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So why don't you close this thread: as you carefully and gently implied, it's useless to ask and can become a zone-wars

Never said it was useless to ask...however, it has more or less turned into a continental fight-fest, soooo...yeah, closing it is probably a good idea considering the argument has become circular.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

This discussion has been closed.