test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please it s time to stop the whole "chance of" thing

rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
when i build a toon i like to try to make it perfect for my purposes. But in this game when it comes to feats, boons and gear i get mad.
"you have a chance of reducing cooldown"
"you have a chance of heal for peanuts"
"you have a chance once in a while maybe tomorrow why not? to deal damage at some random not funny enemies around you probably 2 times in a day but im not gonna say this to you"....

you got the point.
please stop, these things dont make the game clear.

i demand:
Public internal cooldowns
Public chances
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Agreed. Kind of hard to tell how feasible something is when it's very vague.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tymora is appalled at your lack of trust in Luck.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You can use ACT to parse these things and find out exactly what they do. Hint: A lot of the "chance to..." stuff is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    kkmcoodleskkmcoodles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What's ACT ??.... enquiring minds want to know... :D
  • Options
    radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited June 2014
    Tymora is appalled at your lack of trust in Luck.

It seems everything that OP mentioned that depend on chances and all those depending on RNG are under Tymora's perview? If so, maybe I should choose Tymora as the deity for all my toons (or new toons since we cannot change deity after creating a toon) and they might have a chance to be luckier?

On topic. I agree with OP. This is the most "chance" dependent MMO rpg game I have ever played. To me, this game might not be as grindy as some MMOs technically, but with low % of getting so many things it is just another way of making us grind in the game, unless Tymora is smiling down on you and stroking your beautiful long/short hair...
  • Options
    firstdegreeburnsfirstdegreeburns Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    Agreed. Too vague, along with base stat roll explanations when creating a character
    lil-TriXz-0f-h0p3, lil-Sp3llst4r-0f-h0p3 | Guild = play2win
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There is no such thing as a perfect build in a MMO. They are builds for different choices.

There are tools to figure things out if you really, really want to be a min/maxer if that is your thing, but you will have to put effort in.

No MMO I have ever played just give you that info, players have to figure it out.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kkmcoodles wrote: »
    What's ACT ??.... enquiring minds want to know... :D

http://advancedcombattracker.com/

It's a program for recording and parsing your combatlog so you can see exactly how much damage an ability is doing, how often something procs and overall effectiveness.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I know is possible to randomly calculate chance by act but im not gonna hit a dummy 1000 times with flourish just to know the probability to get a bonus damage. (EX new ice wind dale weapons)
    35 days of farming for a weapon of which no one knows how many time procs.
    Would have been that hard to write:
    "Dude this stuff is gonna proc about 7 per cent with no internel cooldown?

??
  • Options
    gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My toon doesn't have as many chancy skills, but there are lotteries I would like fixed. I have enough Thayan robes to equip Hogwarts, now. Thanks :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mt toon doesn't have as many chancy skills, but there are lotteries I would like fixed. I have enough Thayan robes to equip Hogwarts, now. Thanks :D

Oh so you want everyone else to do the work and figure it out and tell you.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ACT is: Advanced Combat Tracker. It's basically a tool that analyzes the combat log that Neverwinter spits out. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well. You can find specific instructions and links on my guild site:
    http://greycloaks.enjin.com/forum/m/14382018/viewthread/7664602-skill-calculations
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It s not about rng peoblems ! I just want to now how much for them is "a chance of" wheb we are talking about feat, power, boons that have to be proc-d.

They did good with gwfs: " ehi dude your new bugged feat is gonna proc about 25 per cent"
    You see? A number!

Ohers are like " when you deal damage you have a chance of heal for tons"
    How many chance??
    How many tons????
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Let me spell it out slowly....

NO GAME HAS EVER JUST COME OUT AND SAID YOU HAVE X CHANCE AT X ITEM.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    Oh so you want everyone else to do the work and figure it out and tell you.

Hells yes, don't most people?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I really dont know how to explain things in my not native language maybe.
    I dont want to know the chance to drop items!

But when we are talking about feats boons they have to tell me
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Okay I understand English is not your native language so perhaps it did not come across the way you meant.

And no they do not have to tell you, and they did...you will have a chance to do whatever feat it is.

In any game, when it says there is a chance..it means that. No game I have ever played comes right out and just tells you every "chance thing" Some MMO tell more then others.

What you will need to do is google searches or use ACT and parse it yourself for those answers. Also a lot of those questions can be answered by looking through old posts in the forums. There is a wealth of info that players have shared.

Once again sorry you did come across as you meant due language.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That's not accurate. Neverwinter itself states plenty of numbers and vague with others. What's wrong with wanting to know what something does exactly? They could easily give us more statistics.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    That's not accurate. Neverwinter itself states plenty of numbers and vague with others. What's wrong with wanting to know what something does exactly? They could easily give us more statistics.

Yes they could, however in my exp in MMOs they give you limited info. It is the way it is. Yes they could, but they do not.

And there is nothing with wanting to know but this info as you know is generally not shared in games with the player base.

And tell me what game tells you you have x chance as x item? I wanna play. lol
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ok probably every mmo is like this but i really cannot understand why they need to hide basic informations.

Another example: 4/4 bonus pvp hr set : a chance to heal when deflect.
    Now if this chance is 1 out of 10, deflect stacking is not effective.
    Yesterday i realized that this chance was 7.5 out of 10 with no internal cooldown. Pretty huge difference.
  • Options
    cerrillacerrilla Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    from the wiki: Tier 5 - Icewind Hero Skill
    Avalanche When damaged by a foe, chance to gain a stack of Avalanche. At 20 Stacks, taking damage will clear the stacks and deal 200 damage to nearby targets.
    Rousing Warmth Chance when Healed to gain 500 damage bonus on next attack.
    Winter's Bounty Chance to gain 10% Action Points when killing a target.
    Shared Survival Drinking Healing Potions now has a chance to Heal nearby allies for 10% of that potions value.

rayrdan is right if this is what he is talking about -- many of these descriptions are incredibly vague to the point that most would dismiss some of them when choosing boons in favor of the ones that make a better indication of what they do.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    cerrilla wrote: »
    from the wiki: Tier 5 - Icewind Hero Skill
    Avalanche When damaged by a foe, chance to gain a stack of Avalanche. At 20 Stacks, taking damage will clear the stacks and deal 200 damage to nearby targets.
    Rousing Warmth Chance when Healed to gain 500 damage bonus on next attack.
    Winter's Bounty Chance to gain 10% Action Points when killing a target.
    Shared Survival Drinking Healing Potions now has a chance to Heal nearby allies for 10% of that potions value.

rayrdan is right if this is what he is talking about -- many of these descriptions are incredibly vague to the point that most would dismiss some of them when choosing boons in favor of the ones that make a better indication of what they do.

This is exactly what drives me mad.
    When i will reach the fifth boon i can just close my eyes a put the point in one of them randomly. It makes no difference
  • Options
    sunnie2sunnie2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014

And you are......wrong.
    EverQuest 2 does just that on their procable equipment. They give a % and also list about how many times they proc per minute on average, on everything that has a chance effect.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    This is exactly what drives me mad

Lets not forget that the tier 5 boon will most likely have a 1min internal cooldown on the ones that sound nice.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Was referring to drops in that example. And yes EQ and EQ 2 does that equipment that procs. And there is a reason they did. I play both, it is the community extensively data collected and already knew.

As I said you have to parse and collect your data to figure these things out. Or rely on other people's data for the same results. Those games by the way are many many many many years old and plenty of data has been collected unlike NWO or any other MMO in the last year.

But most of this info is available in older posts, pretty much nothing new to find out about DR or Sharander. Yes it makes it harder to choose the "CORRECT" path unless you do research.

IMO there is no correct path but that is another topic.
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think everyone would agree that a little more detail/description on a few of these vague items/boons/powers would be great. You have to spend alot of time to get some of these things and not knowing how effective they are is frustrating. Especially for boons, you do weeks of dailies, pick one and if it is not working or garbage % procs then you have to pay to re-pick.

To be fair there is a special place in heaven for those of you that test these and post what you find. It is helpful for casual players.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    cerrillacerrilla Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, i understand the issue of not publishing exact numbers on these things because of proprietary reasons. It just seems that players do need a little more information in order to chose what works best on their build. In my case, when presented with two or more choices that both seemed advantageous, it took me more than two days to finally flip a coin over them. This sort of defeats the purpose of making intelligent choices and planning ahead. At least it does for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I agree on bugged things like this. It is significant for casual players to choose "wrong" Yes some are better then others and it also depends on your build and play style. And expensive for some if it does not work out the way you thought based on the description.

I am not going to say they need to give you percentages etc, but some of the description need more detail.