test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beach Towels on the Windshield while driving . . . UI Help please

weatherskyweathersky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Driving down the highway at 60 mph becomes . . . unpleasant . . . when a towel flies onto the windshield right in front of the driver's face.

And so it is with the LOOT DIALOGS, particularly when in groups and 6 + dialogs paste themselves smack down the middle of the view screen, sometimes in the middle of a rowdy, rolling fight.

How do I change that, in total? All I've managed so far using the expected controls for UI element placement is move the secondary who won the item dialogs. Those moved. However, the initiating dialogs on item pickup didn't move, and I don't see a corresponding box-element control for those using the Options/UI placement mode.

??

Anyone? (I gotta be missing something obvious)
There is nothing impossible to him who will try - Alexander the Great
Post edited by weathersky on

Comments

• Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't loot till fight finished!!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    xxleyanxxxxleyanxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Press the esc button to close the secondary loot dialogs(who won and such)..
    Synnove ~ Full PvE CW
    Emeril ~ PvP HR
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    weathersky wrote: »
    Driving down the highway at 60 mph becomes . . . unpleasant . . . when a towel flies onto the windshield right in front of the driver's face.

And so it is with the LOOT DIALOGS, particularly when in groups and 6 + dialogs paste themselves smack down the middle of the view screen, sometimes in the middle of a rowdy, rolling fight.

How do I change that, in total? All I've managed so far using the expected controls for UI element placement is move the secondary who won the item dialogs. Those moved. However, the initiating dialogs on item pickup didn't move, and I don't see a corresponding box-element control for those using the Options/UI placement mode.

??

Anyone? (I gotta be missing something obvious)

Try playing a skirmish, where usually one player insists on picking up every single green item. To me it seems the pop ups aren't just annoying but also completely disable any form of character interaction such as skills or defensive maneuvers.

---

In my opinion, fixing this should be a top priority on cryptic's to do - list.

• Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This has been an issue since beta.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wuuuuuut?

Didn't everyone in PnP D&D stop all the combat and decide who got the rusty dagger the goblin minion, just felled by an arrow, was carrying while the goblin horde of 30 was attacking the outpost??
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    What issue? You can simply adjust the position of the loot windows to somewhere else. Like the bottom left corner of your screen. TS, you'll find it under options, re-arrange HUD.

No you can't unless they changed it over the past few months and didn't put it in patch notes , you can change where the roll results are displayed but you cannot alter where the loot pickups are displayed in the center of the screen , even worse than ever now with the new skirmish , loads of bad guys and ice giants running about attacking and some moron decides to pick up everything they possibly can.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    What issue? You can simply adjust the position of the loot windows to somewhere else. Like the bottom left corner of your screen. TS, you'll find it under options, re-arrange HUD.

Do it.
    Then provide a step-by-step HOW you did it.

We are talking about the initial pop-up that asks you to choose Need, Greed, or Pass. I keep my finger on the Shift-3 buttons just to pass so I can get those damnable things off my screen. The Roll Results pop ups can be moved, but not the initial Roll pop ups. It is irritating as hell and I agree: "don't bother looting until the fight is over" - but too many players don't know any better and they loot for fear someone else will loot first. I don't blame those players, I blame the developers for not providing a solution to the problem.

This is especially irritating during boss-fight in skirmishes.

-groan-

The problem is that the Loot-Roll pop up is a system message, which always appears in the middle of the screen. What is needed is a player preference (option) to ALWAY PASS or ALWAYS GREED - some way to just set a default selection so the pop up auto-dismisses as soon as it pops-up (or better yet: doesn't appear in the first place).
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The problem is that the Loot-Roll pop up is a system message, which always appears in the middle of the screen. What is needed is a player preference (option) to ALWAY PASS or ALWAYS GREED - some way to just set a default selection so the pop up auto-dismisses as soon as it pops-up (or better yet: doesn't appear in the first place).

Oh good grief, yes.. The ability to set a threshold as a bare minimum. The loot spam is horrid when you're grouped with people who get overexcited looting valueless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> while everyone else is trying to fight.
  • Options
    gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Do it.
    What is needed is a player preference (option) to ALWAY PASS or ALWAYS GREED
    This^^^^^^^
    Why the hell are we not funding this?
    Should be able to set that as the leader of the group so people can't need the good items at the end as well
    as set it on individual accts. to keep it from popping up.
    The need or greed system does NOT need to be verified at every item. It kills play and causes much rage when
    players 1) loot every green item during a fight and 2) vote Need on the items at the end.
  • Options
    weatherskyweathersky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Magenubbie,

Re read my post: I did.

The result was that the ONLY element that changed position was the secondary who-won listing. That moved.

The initial loot-pickup dialog positions did NOT change, and I don't see a matching box to move for that from the options / UI tool. Unless someone can confirm that exists and somehow I missed it. Thing is, I ended up moved like every box in that area trying to find it. Again, only thing moved was the secondary who-won listing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Do it.
    Then provide a step-by-step HOW you did it.

We are talking about the initial pop-up that asks you to choose Need, Greed, or Pass. I keep my finger on the Shift-3 buttons just to pass so I can get those damnable things off my screen. The Roll Results pop ups can be moved, but not the initial Roll pop ups. It is irritating as hell and I agree: "don't bother looting until the fight is over" - but too many players don't know any better and they loot for fear someone else will loot first. I don't blame those players, I blame the developers for not providing a solution to the problem.

This is especially irritating during boss-fight in skirmishes.

-groan-

Ok, I'mma take this as a confirm: There is NO WAY to use the re-arrange UI tool to pull those dang towels off my dang windshield when driving down the highway. Jumpin Jimminy.

This is . . . awful. I've been figuring they could be moved, I've been lazy, but
    > I recently started doing more grouping because I hit 60. You can't control the group, no matter how wild the fire-fight gets, whereever you are at, you get those dang things pasted smack in your face blotting out your view.

In the middle of a fight, of a group moving fast.

bleh.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I understand that the dominant style of play here in Neverwinter is "run from encounter to encounter as fast as you can". I understand that every other LFG message out there implies a desire for a "fast run" through this or that. I get it: The game is populated with FTP purists who will never spend a dime on extra storage space, to whom random green loot drops are "garbage", who have a specific item drop goal at the end of the dungeon and who apparently couldn't care less about every other thing that falls or is hidden along the way.

I get it.

This is why I dislike PUG situations, why I only rarely participate in dungeons or skirmishes. I'm a scavenger. Not an iota of treasure, not a single CP nor AD in value, has ever escaped from the reach of any of my toons. All four of 'em should have "I BRAKE FOR SKILL NODES" embroidered on their cloaks. Is there a connection between that and the seven-figure AD totals I see every time I log in? I'm gonna say "yes" to that most definitely.

I understand that the loot result window is a pain. I agree that it shouldn't exist; after all, we have the record in the chat window, right? My disagreement with many of the previous posts hinges on the contempt expressed above for those of us who actually play the whole game, the economic as well as well as the strategic.
  • Options
    texasgunmantexasgunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Should be able to set that as the leader of the group so people can't need the good items at the end as well
    as set it on individual accts. to keep it from popping up.
    The need or greed system does NOT need to be verified at every item. It kills play and causes much rage when
    players 1) loot every green item during a fight and 2) vote Need on the items at the end.

It is my prerogative as a fellow player when I am playing with you to have the ability to roll the way I wish to when I am placed with you in a PuG. How selfish it is of you to suggest the game be changed simply to suit your own needs. It's as if you cannot see past the end of your own nose.

If you wish not to see loot result windows, it's far too long a leap of logic to say that loot rolls should be done away with, in their current form. You only care about not seeing loot windows, and perhaps you'd like a system to consistently roll pass or greed on greens. Perhaps such a system would be beneficial to have as you could set your preferred roll and have done with the individual loot rolls. But I've never seen this happen in a game and I can imagine it could go wrong in several ways.

Scenario one:
    You are playing a Random Skirmish when the coveted item you've been farming for finally drops. Your auto-loot system rolls pass on it and you never see it again. Who's fault is this? Will you take the blame yourself, knowing you set your own auto-loot? Or will you blame Cryptic, for allowing you to forego rolling in the first place, even though it was your idea? It's ill-advised to think you will never want to vary your rolls in the least bit.

Scenario two:
    Perhaps instead of outright passing on your long-sought treasure, you are playing a dungeon that is current content and hoping for some good loot out of it. Some other player has their auto-loot system set up to roll Need on all items, at all times. You happen to lose a very valuable upgrade to them and you had hardly a say in it. But then again, neither did they. The game didn't make you roll, so you were content to give up your right to make that decision and it cost you dearly. Will you blame the opposing player in this situation?

All this is to say that even though you find it tedious to roll for every piece of loot, perhaps the best solution is not to remove that function in groups for you or anyone else.

Instead, a better-suited solution would be to allow you to simply ignore green items. They won't pop up on your screen. Ever. In addition, if you find yourself in such a fortunate place, you may even set the 'visible loot' threshold to rares as well and you'll only ever have to select a roll on epics.

This is just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt. I only encourage you to not give up your right to make that decision each and every time, however if you still feel the need, do not try to take away my right to roll the way I wish on each item. I find a not-insignificant amount of gold has been earned simply by being able to accept all the items no one else really cared about or needed.

Though my final suggestion does not differ very much in substance from your own, at first glance, notice it can only ever affect you and only at thresholds acceptable to you as ignorable. It also leaves me the same right and won't affect my playstyle in the least, except to give me one less competitor for every item drop that comes our way.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
    Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
    Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    myles08807 wrote: »
    This is why I dislike PUG situations, why I only rarely participate in dungeons or skirmishes. I'm a scavenger. Not an iota of treasure, not a single CP nor AD in value, has ever escaped from the reach of any of my toons. All four of 'em should have "I BRAKE FOR SKILL NODES" embroidered on their cloaks. Is there a connection between that and the seven-figure AD totals I see every time I log in? I'm gonna say "yes" to that most definitely.

When I am alone, nothing goes unlooted.

When I am running a dungeon, it's always with guild and not necessarily for speed (depends on the capability of the group). Nobody gets upset about looting greens, because those of us as don't want them can pass. We'd really just prefer people refrain from doing it in combat. In a dungeon, not potentially causing harm to the group trumps potentially missing out on 1.1 silver pieces. Battle looting is distracting, precisely because your screen can fill up with unmovable windows that demand your attention to clear them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    It is my prerogative as a fellow player when I am playing with you to have the ability to roll the way I wish to when I am placed with you in a PuG. How selfish it is of you to suggest the game be changed simply to suit your own needs. It's as if you cannot see past the end of your own nose.

If you wish not to see loot result windows, it's far too long a leap of logic to say that loot rolls should be done away with, in their current form. You only care about not seeing loot windows, and perhaps you'd like a system to consistently roll pass or greed on greens. Perhaps such a system would be beneficial to have as you could set your preferred roll and have done with the individual loot rolls. But I've never seen this happen in a game and I can imagine it could go wrong in several ways.

Scenario one:
    You are playing a Random Skirmish when the coveted item you've been farming for finally drops. Your auto-loot system rolls pass on it and you never see it again. Who's fault is this? Will you take the blame yourself, knowing you set your own auto-loot? Or will you blame Cryptic, for allowing you to forego rolling in the first place, even though it was your idea? It's ill-advised to think you will never want to vary your rolls in the least bit.

Scenario two:
    Perhaps instead of outright passing on your long-sought treasure, you are playing a dungeon that is current content and hoping for some good loot out of it. Some other player has their auto-loot system set up to roll Need on all items, at all times. You happen to lose a very valuable upgrade to them and you had hardly a say in it. But then again, neither did they. The game didn't make you roll, so you were content to give up your right to make that decision and it cost you dearly. Will you blame the opposing player in this situation?

All this is to say that even though you find it tedious to roll for every piece of loot, perhaps the best solution is not to remove that function in groups for you or anyone else.

Instead, a better-suited solution would be to allow you to simply ignore green items. They won't pop up on your screen. Ever. In addition, if you find yourself in such a fortunate place, you may even set the 'visible loot' threshold to rares as well and you'll only ever have to select a roll on epics.

This is just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt. I only encourage you to not give up your right to make that decision each and every time, however if you still feel the need, do not try to take away my right to roll the way I wish on each item. I find a not-insignificant amount of gold has been earned simply by being able to accept all the items no one else really cared about or needed.

Though my final suggestion does not differ very much in substance from your own, at first glance, notice it can only ever affect you and only at thresholds acceptable to you as ignorable. It also leaves me the same right and won't affect my playstyle in the least, except to give me one less competitor for every item drop that comes our way.

If you go on a greed run, you should hit greed every time, regardless of whether or not you don't get the one piece you want or not. Making it so the leader could put it all on greed would also keep the people from "autolooting" on need. Going on a greed run then selecting need just because you want that piece makes you one of those people that only care about themselves...which from the tone of your post is what you are accusing everyone else of.
  • Options
    texasgunmantexasgunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you go on a greed run, you should hit greed every time, regardless of whether or not you don't get the one piece you want or not. Making it so the leader could put it all on greed would also keep the people from "autolooting" on need. Going on a greed run then selecting need just because you want that piece makes you one of those people that only care about themselves...which from the tone of your post is what you are accusing everyone else of.

You make an interesting case for selecting a 'greed-mode' loot for greed runs. That has some promise. However, I have never been on a 'greed' run, and so have never been in the situation you describe. Therefore, I cannot be what you suggest I am. Thanks for replying anyway.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
    Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
    Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think some people allowed themselves to drift sideways into . . . The Twisted Nether. :D

Loot rules are irrelevant. PuGs vs Guild runs are irrelevant. Speed Runs or not is irrelevant.

The UI ELEMENT is, in my opinion, incorrectly implemented. It's not adjustable as it should be.

If it was, then everybodies loot / play preferences become satisfied. In other words: It's not looting or play style preferences that's causing the issue, it's the UI itself.

I am sort of stunned that every other element seems moveable, yet they left one as a "system message" (as one poster put it) that pastes itself smack over your eyeballs, requiring you to manhandle those dialogs . . . repeatedly . . . to clear your vision. Over and over.

This needs fixing in a bad way. It's just plain rude.

If I can move those bastitch dialogs to the side I could care less who decides to loot what, as often as they want. I'm free to ignore them should I so desire . . . because they aren't blocking my view.
  • Options
    crypticnotioncrypticnotion Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have a SIMPLE answer to most all this nonsense.....MAKE it Smaller and move it to the side then everyone can have it their way. IT is HUGE and it is right in the MIDDLE of the screen you can't see nothing in a fight when a clown picks up 6 or seven items and they do all the time! If I am being pounded on by a mob I really don't want to stop and CHOOSE,need,greed, or pass 6 or seven times. Everything about the way it is currently done is DUMB!!!!!!! Intelligent solution down size it and move it. Left, right, or just have a disable display so I can pass on all of it.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nice Necro, wonder if it will get closed since it's information is still very current and there is no more recent thread.