test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Level 60 PVP build

bakaslambakaslam Member Posts: 139 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Wilds
Hello everyone!
So I'm about to reach level 60 with my Hunter Ranger, and I have just purchased a respec token.
So I wanted to know what could be the best build for him.
I'd like to focus on PVP or at least a good hybrid PVP/PVE.

My character is a HUMAN. What kind of build do you suggest?
Which ability points? (I am now STRENGHT 15 CON 11 DEX 23 INT 11 WIS 19 CHAR 11)
What about the powers, feets and paths?

I have seen lot of different builds on internet as well, but I don't know what could be the best for a level 60 who wants to focus more on PVP and since HR is the newest class I though I might ask to all of you in order to make the right choice!

Hope you'll help me, see ya!
» Hogs of War «

~ Adam | Trickster Rogue | Master Infiltrator Saboteur
~ Essence | Hunter Ranger | Pathfinder Trapper
~ Veyl | Scourge Warlock | Soulbinder Fury
~ Abel | Trickster Rogue | Master Infiltrator Executioner

Waiting for DRUID and MONK!
Post edited by bakaslam on

Comments

• Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Pathfinder and con needs to be a lot higher.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks overddrive.
    Do you have any link or something to a good guide I can follow?
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    myth8892myth8892 Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2014
    Nope, no links or guides
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    Pathfinder and con needs to be a lot higher.
    This. I'm running with a 16 con before campfire bonus and that's comfortable with the right gear (PvP full set, plenty of regen). I'd like more HP (I'm around 28k normally) but that will have to wait for gear/enchantment upgrades. I'm still pretty hard to kill.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    bakaslam wrote: »
    Thanks overddrive.
    Do you have any link or something to a good guide I can follow?
    There is a shortage of good guides but if you read through a few of the recent threads on here you'll pick up a bunch of good advice on building an effective PvP HR.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for your answer, twilightwatchman, but could you post few links?
    I'm pretty new at D&D system, so I could not recognize the good builds from the bad ones!
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm pretty new at D&D system, so I could not recognize the good builds from the bad ones!
    with 19 con (18+1) i m going to sit at around 39k hp with 1900 def 1900 deflect and 1800 regen when i will be able to craft the new set of weapon.
    no black ice set is involved in these numbers
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thank you ray.. But I should need to know all the build so I'll follow the tips and build my HR in the best way.
    I can worry later about the equipment.. I'm asking for just ability rolls, feats and powers that's basically what the respec token let me to change.
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited May 2014
    you have to take pathfinder actions and lonewolf as power.
    about feat im going combat for the free deflect in melee.
    con as high as possible.

the rest is optional.
    basically you dont want to do damage, you want to be a tank. eventually the enemy will die before you.
  • Options
    myth8892myth8892 Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2014

As i was saying, people will give you hints, but as far as getting anytype of build setup, showing feats,boons,powers,IWD boons...
    It probably won't happen, I think for the most part either people are still testing things out to their liking, or they found a great build but dont want to share it....
    I am still archery spec (stormwarden) but will be changing once i start testing things out over the weekend...
    there are alot of pvp people already running the PF builds, but not one of them, even from high end pvp guilds are willing to share..
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ok.. Thanks!
    If anyone else have other suggestions/guides/links, please feel free to reply!
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I have tried to create a build.. What do you think about that?

STR 15 | CON 16 | DEX 21 | INT 12 | WIS 18 | CHA 12

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=lvi:27bnwg:209rkc,1un3i0e:1zu051:150000:1u0000&h=1&p=swd

POWER in use

Daily: Distruptive Shot | Forest Medidation
    Encounter: Hindering Shot | Constricting Arrow | Thorn Ward
    At-a-will: Aimed Shot | Split Shot
    Class features: Aspect of the falcon OR Twin blade storm | Aspect of the Serpent

I tried to make a PVE/PVP Hybrid that switches a lot and so I tried to focus on switching stuff.. But as I was saying I'm pretty much a newbie, so I don't really know if I did a good job!

What would you change and why?

P.s. Does the respec token let you re-roll your stats again? Like actually throwing again dices?
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    you have to take pathfinder actions and lonewolf as power.
    about feat im going combat for the free deflect in melee.
    con as high as possible.

the rest is optional.
    basically you dont want to do damage, you want to be a tank. eventually the enemy will die before you.

Yeah, what this guy said.

I respecced into pathfinder, high con, defence around 34%, deflect 33% in melee with the combat feat, which is good enough as I spend only enough time in ranged to pop boarshide and lay down a thornward. Today I went up the leaderboard from pg 156 to 38. Don't think any of the pugs I was in lost. Did crazy well.

In retrospect, the nerf was the best thing to happen to my ranger. Also the leaderbord, and the fact I don't need to farm glory anymore makes me play a 100 times better, all for the win, and screw the selfish node cap fest.

One other plus of a high regen/survival build is that it allows you to slot an offensive artifact, rather than the common to the point of ubiquitous healing - waters or bloodcrystal - I use lantern, to the point where it's almost another encounter, albeit with a rather long cd.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I have tried to create a build.. What do you think about that?

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=lvi:27bnwg:209rkc,1un3i0e:1zu051:150000:1u0000&h=1&p=swd

POWER in use

Daily: Distruptive Shot | Forest Medidation
    Encounter: Hindering Shot | Constricting Arrow | Thorn Ward
    At-a-will: Aimed Shot | Split Shot
    Class features: Aspect of the falcon OR Twin blade storm | Aspect of the Serpent

I tried to make a PVE/PVP Hybrid that switches a lot and so I tried to focus on switching stuff.. But as I was saying I'm pretty much a newbie, so I don't really know if I did a good job!

What would you change and why?

P.s. Does the respec token let you re-roll your stats again? Like actually throwing again dices?

I would change Aimed with the Rapid. Reason: in Domination I RARELY had the possibility to shoot more than 10 times (avg) in a single game. You are interrupted e-a-s-i-l-y, if they Dot you it's the same, and most of time you have people dodging it for other reasons and/or just going out of your range (even with the +range power, trust this old me). Plus you're just asking to be choked while sitting like a duck. So, no for me.

Rapid Shot on the contrary, with a good ArP and Power, can do nice damage and put psychological pressure. Fun thing that, for how I am specced, the more they try to get out of range, the more dmg they get in the process (+20% at max) while I can be still very mobile.

The respec token as far as I know, doesn't let you change base roll stats. Could be wrong but I read it.
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Really need careful attack from pf, and a dot enchant like plague fire. It's not a straight up killer, but what it does do is tick to the point where your average gwf can't regain their hp as they are used to, especially if you can keep the bleed from aimed strike going. Couple that with their disdain for red zones and they are dead before they realize they should probably be thinking about running away.

It's also nice not to have to worry about Trs anymore, those guys are toast these days. Poor little tricksters.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I saw all feats and the melee ones didn't attract me at all. I saw that the archery ones are more balanced, even if you are going to use the blades.
    I saw even the Pathfinder powers and I don't see anyone that's really useful to the built.. While I see some of the Stormwarden powers that even if are not in my actual build I might decide to use in PVE or something (split the sky is very interesting).. Am I in wrong?
    Which kind of Powers do you suggest and why?

About the Rapid Shot, that's really a good suggestion.. I think I may go for it.
    I thought that having the Aimed Shot, even if is not really usable in domination, might be very letal if combinated with the Snaiper's Aim feat (+20% dmg at max distance).. But yeah.. Probably rapid shot may be a better choiche.
    But which point to which power should I sacrifice to reach level 3 in Rapid Shot? I don't really feel like to have a 2nd level Aimed shot and I would sacrifice a level in Seismic Shot, but I don't think the game will late me even if I'll use respec token.

Anyway.. What do you think about Nature path? I find it midly interesting but Idk how actually useful it may be. I feel like Nature's path is very complicated to use properly, because you need to be really timed with buffs and skills and satisfy certain standards in order to have the best from this path.
    Indeed, at the beginning I wanted to do a Stormwarden Master Nature but again it seems too difficult to manage as path.
    Any experiences and suggestions about that too maybe? Where can I find the exact kind and amount of bonus/effects of the buffs? Because in the description there are any numbers.. Or at least in most of them!

P.s. I'm going to ask again: Does the respec token let you re-roll dices again? Or just ridistribuite again the points in leveling?
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You asked for a pvp build and u went for a pve build with a very low stats roll :rolleyes:, did u even read the replies?
    And no u cant change stats roll, u should start a new hr from scratch and if u want to max out u should go for halfling race for pvp.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ratjam wrote: »
    You asked for a pvp build and u went for a pve build with a very low stats roll :rolleyes:, did u even read the replies?
    And no u cant change stats roll, u should start a new hr from scratch and if u want to max out u should go for halfling race for pvp.

No ratjam.. I believe you misunderstood something. :)
    In first place I asked either for a PVP Build or a PVP/PVE one.. But then anyway I was just talking about Pathfinder/Stormwarder skills and I just said that the powers of the Pathfinder don't "attract" me (and asked for more clarifications if I am in wrong) but that the StormWarder one may be at least used in PVE! :)

Anyway nobody told me about stat rolls, that's why I kept asking.. ! Indeed my initial rolling was very bad, but I did not know what I know now.. ! So I guess I'll keep it like that, at least someone doesn't have any suggestions.
    I have tried to put all points I could in CON as suggested.. But in the initial roll I got just 10 there and since it said that CON was not a main stat for HR I didn't worried.
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I saw all feats and the melee ones didn't attract me at all. I saw that the archery ones are more balanced, even if you are going to use the blades.
    I saw even the Pathfinder powers and I don't see anyone that's really useful to the built.. While I see some of the Stormwarden powers that even if are not in my actual build I might decide to use in PVE or something (split the sky is very interesting).. Am I in wrong?
    Which kind of Powers do you suggest and why?

About the Rapid Shot, that's really a good suggestion.. I think I may go for it.
    I thought that having the Aimed Shot, even if is not really usable in domination, might be very letal if combinated with the Snaiper's Aim feat (+20% dmg at max distance).. But yeah.. Probably rapid shot may be a better choiche.
    But which point to which power should I sacrifice to reach level 3 in Rapid Shot? I don't really feel like to have a 2nd level Aimed shot and I would sacrifice a level in Seismic Shot, but I don't think the game will late me even if I'll use respec token.

Anyway.. What do you think about Nature path? I find it midly interesting but Idk how actually useful it may be. I feel like Nature's path is very complicated to use properly, because you need to be really timed with buffs and skills and satisfy certain standards in order to have the best from this path.
    Indeed, at the beginning I wanted to do a Stormwarden Master Nature but again it seems too difficult to manage as path.
    Any experiences and suggestions about that too maybe? Where can I find the exact kind and amount of bonus/effects of the buffs? Because in the description there are any numbers.. Or at least in most of them!

P.s. I'm going to ask again: Does the respec token let you re-roll dices again? Or just ridistribuite again the points in leveling?

For the Powers, well it depends how you want to engage and maintain combat (range/mid or close), but given you don't like close, you could go with:
    -Constricting (nice stopper/cycle distruptor in pvp, not bad in pve when you want to manage an elite and thrash the adds)
    -Thorn Ward (a good-decent dmg + debuff on defense)
    -StS (for PvE, helps while the adds are rushing you and you're shifting around split shotting)
    -Boar (used as ranged gives more mitigation, that coupled with lone wolf goes to 35% at minimum 25ft range irrc; used as melee in pvp can stop an enemy in its tracks proning him and a nice reliable assist for a teammate being cycled, or a finisher)

Now for PvE I go with Aim / Split: I have a poor Man At Arms that gives me respite soaking dmg while I do my job.
    For PvP i go with Rapid/Split: only possibility that you will use Aim is in combination with Forest Ghost...pretty much meh in my book.

Dailies, I roll with Disruptive Shot and depending pve/pvp, Forest Medi /Forest Ghost. If only there was a ->GOOD<- daily to slot for sure...

"Class Features": Lone wolf & Stormstep Action. The latter because with Rapid Fire I build up AP easily and use very often Disruptive Shot

For the Nature Path I can only say I don't "know" much of it, in the sense that it's clearly useful but needs to be mixed with another Path imho. If you take Archer Path you won't have much points to use in Nature, to be effective.
    Guess the best choice is Combat/Nature with focus on regen/life steal and procs from armor sets
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Actually I like melee very much. I just noticed that the melee feats are not good for a hybrid (which is what I really prefer).
    I think that the perfect power combination for a HR should be one that let you buff yourself and in the same time give the chance to fight in melee and in distance.
    I do believe that a deep knowledge of this class may reach that result.
    It's not my case obv and that's why - for now at least - I'll leave the nature path to focus on an melee/archer hybrid.
    So, for now, I'll leave the buffs for a possibile future build, even though except for few of them, I don't know how much bonus they actually give you (Throw Caution, Oak Skin, Stag Heart and Fox Shift are not very clear.. I mean, where do I find the exact % or amout of bonus I get?).

Anyway, what do you mean for Sts?
    About the classe features. Lot of people suggested Lone Wolf. But why?
    I probably didn't get it, because I understood that you have the mitigation bonus just when there are (basically) no enemies around you. So, what is the mitigation for if there are no enemies around you?
    Same for Stormstep Action.. I don't get it why it should be a choiche.. I mean, it reduces by 3 secs the cooldown when using a Daily.. But actually HR has really a lot of skills.. So usually when you casted all the melee powers for example, you can go casting the archery ones and then come back on the melee and so on.. Usually you don't even need to wait too long!

Why don't you find the Aspect of the Falcon/Twin Blade Storm + Aspect of the Serpent a good choice? Am I missing something?
    Because to me they appear as a really good choiche.. I mean.. In a side you will either hit people very far (and combined with the Sniper's Aim you'll increase your damages) or either increas your damages if you'll hit more than 2 enemies (and either archery and melee has aoe powers)... While in the other side your damages basically will be increase as you keep fighting (and switching a lot).. I really want to get it because as I said i'm really new to this system so I may be calculating things in the wrong way! :)
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No ratjam.. I believe you misunderstood something.

yeah sorry i've read the first bold line of ur post but miss the the part about pve hybrid
    sadly though your CON roll is really low even for pve unless ur aiming to go full archery glass cannon :p
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Actually I like melee very much. I just noticed that the melee feats are not good for a hybrid (which is what I really prefer).
    I think that the perfect power combination for a HR should be one that let you buff yourself and in the same time give the chance to fight in melee and in distance.
    I do believe that a deep knowledge of this class may reach that result.
    It's not my case obv and that's why - for now at least - I'll leave the nature path to focus on an melee/archer hybrid.
    So, for now, I'll leave the buffs for a possibile future build, even though except for few of them, I don't know how much bonus they actually give you (Throw Caution, Oak Skin, Stag Heart and Fox Shift are not very clear.. I mean, where do I find the exact % or amout of bonus I get?).

Anyway, what do you mean for Sts?
    I probably didn't get it, because I understood that you have the mitigation bonus just when there are (basically) no enemies around you. So, what is the mitigation for if there are no enemies around you?
    Same for Stormstep Action.. I don't get it why it should be a choiche.. I mean, it reduces by 3 secs the cooldown when using a Daily.. But actually HR has really a lot of skills.. So usually when you casted all the melee powers for example, you can go casting the archery ones and then come back on the melee and so on.. Usually you don't even need to wait too long!

Why don't you find the Aspect of the Falcon/Twin Blade Storm + Aspect of the Serpent a good choice? Am I missing something?
    Because to me they appear as a really good choiche.. I mean.. In a side you will either hit people very far (and combined with the Sniper's Aim you'll increase your damages) or either increas your damages if you'll hit more than 2 enemies (and either archery and melee has aoe powers)... While in the other side your damages basically will be increase as you keep fighting (and switching a lot).. I really want to get it because as I said i'm really new to this system so I may be calculating things in the wrong way! :)

have you ever played an hr in pvp?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ratjam wrote: »
    yeah sorry i've read the first bold line of ur post but miss the the part about pve hybrid
    sadly though your CON roll is really low even for pve unless ur aiming to go full archery glass cannon :p

Yeah, I didn't know when I started and I tried to get the best Dex with all the other stats on 10 and the rest on 14.
    Too bad that the respec token doesn't let you re-roll your stats.
    have you ever played an hr in pvp?

Yeah of course, and that's why I'm here to try to UNDERSTAND why should I make certain choices instead of following advices without understanding the reasons.
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I lol'd.

If you play in a team that can keep the enemy off your back, then a hi power sniper ranger is okay. But you'd have to run premade teams. In pug matches, your build is asking to be slaughtered like a goat. And you can't hold or contend a node with that build either. You're a tower sitter. And they don't score points.

For example, I've just spent a half hour killing HRs with builds like yours in domination. Sorry, respec, rethink.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    I lol'd.

If you play in a team that can keep the enemy off your back, then a hi power sniper ranger is okay. But you'd have to run premade teams. In pug matches, your build is asking to be slaughtered like a goat. And you can't hold or contend a node with that build either. You're a tower sitter. And they don't score points.

For example, I've just spent a half hour killing HRs with builds like yours in domination. Sorry, respec, rethink.

If I knew what was the best for me, I would not be opening threads. :)
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Noone else knows right now either, a few more days or weeks and somone will post a pf build, but until then... its anyones guess.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »

Against ranged attacks, it gives you 25%. In a 1v1, it gives you 20% extra mitigation. That's roughly doubling the mitigation defense gives you.

In PVP, the only time it doesn't do something is when all 5 of the other team are right next to you, which is almost never.

Think of it this way- GWFs used to spec Sentinal (and some still do) mostly just so they could get about an extra 8% mitigation. You're getting 15-25% just for slotting a class trait.

Probably the single most powerful PVP trait in the game.

As far as the feats goes, a great feat is the nature feat that increases incoming healing for your regeneration 20%.

As far as the others, I've respecced a lot and basically the main choice to me is:

Archery- great cooldown reduction
    Combat- 10% deflect (great with your set bonus), some cooldown reduction

I'm currently running Archery because I just love the cooldown reduction. You may think you don't need any but we don't get alot of recovery and PVP is more than just cycling through all of your skills- you're going to want some of them as much as possible (thornward on a node, constricting arrow etc).
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Against ranged attacks, it gives you 25%. In a 1v1, it gives you 20% extra mitigation. That's roughly doubling the mitigation defense gives you.

In PVP, the only time it doesn't do something is when all 5 of the other team are right next to you, which is almost never.

Think of it this way- GWFs used to spec Sentinal (and some still do) mostly just so they could get about an extra 8% mitigation. You're getting 15-25% just for slotting a class trait.

Probably the single most powerful PVP trait in the game.

As far as the feats goes, a great feat is the nature feat that increases incoming healing for your regeneration 20%.

As far as the others, I've respecced a lot and basically the main choice to me is:

Archery- great cooldown reduction
    Combat- 10% deflect (great with your set bonus), some cooldown reduction

I'm currently running Archery because I just love the cooldown reduction. You may think you don't need any but we don't get alot of recovery and PVP is more than just cycling through all of your skills- you're going to want some of them as much as possible (thornward on a node, constricting arrow etc).

Wow, that's the kind of explanation I was looking for! Thanks a lot, that makes all very smart now.. I totally didn't get the power of that class trait!
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Ok so I tried to change my build basing on your suggestions..

What do you think?

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p8e:27sips:209rm4,1un3i0c:1zu051:100000:1u00u0&h=0&p=swd
    » Hogs of War «

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Ok so I tried to change my build basing on your suggestions..

What do you think?

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p8e:27sips:209rm4,1un3i0c:1zu051:100000:1u00u0&h=0&p=swd
    Stats are OK. Powers and feats are fairly horrible.

This is a close approximation to what I currently run with:

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=lzz:27sgts:1by9f7,13k3iii:15uz0v:100000:1u0000&h=0&p=pfr

It's probably not optimal but it gets the job done in PvP and IWD.

I use Lone Wolf and Cruel Recovery class features (may swap the latter for Serpent once I have enough post-60 power points)
    Dailes are Forest Ghost and Slasher's Mark.
    At-wills are Hunter's Teamwork and Aimed Shot
    Encounters are Thorn Ward/Strike, Boar Hide/Rush, Constricting Arrow/Steel Breeze

That's my standard load-out at the moment but I tend to swap things around a lot depending on opponents and how the match is going.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder