test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to get Coal Wards (After 29 May 2014) - With no realmoney

almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey everyone,

It seems our kind Developers have been forced by the finantial department to no longer offer us any margin of escape in purchasing Coalescent Wards. There is nothing they could have done, the one who payed for the game is the one who has the power to destroy/milk it. We should just adapt or..you know the answer.

I want to leave a quick advice for the NEW players to how get some coalescent wards without spending ZEN/Real Money.

If you are new to Neverwinter and you have reached level 11 or 12, you will have a quest with will allow you to Invocate.
During a week, if you Invocate at least 1 time per 28-30 hours, you will get 1 Celestial Coin per day and at the end of the week, you will have 7/7 Celestial Coins.
Use this 7 Celestial Coins to buy a "Wondrous Coffer of Augumentation". Open it and you will have 3% (more or less) chance to receive a Coalescent Ward bound to your account.

-3% is a very low drop rate! Indeed it is, but this is a Free to Play game. You can make several other accounts, level your characters to level 12 (2 per account), and keep invocating to increase the number of Coffers you get each week.
It might be teadious, bit it's free.

-But the Wards are bound to account! Yes, that true, but you can do a small trick. Imagine you have a level 60 GWF on your main account with 4 Shards of Vorpal Enchantment. At your other account, a Coalescent Ward dropped.
You can send the 4 shards from your main account, to your "farm account" and refine the 4 Shards into a Lesser Vorpal Enchantment.

The more accounts you have, the bigger character number you will posses, the bigger ammount of Coffers you will receive at the end of the week and finally the bigger chance you shall have to get a Coal. Ward.

(Another option for you is to keep playing the same account and try to make small ammounts of ZEN and purchase additional Character slots (you can have up to 50 characters at just 1 account). This option makes the "Invocation Farm" much easier and less teadious, but it takes time to open new characters slots.) - I recommend this option as it also will help you later in the game, like the possibility of having alot of unlocked artifacts!

This might be teadous to do everyday...but it is the only way now. You can combine this with the Leadership leveling at your farming accounts for small Astral Diamond income (here another problem rises as you will lose 10% of AD you made when transferring it to your main account via Auction House).

Another option for you is to keep playing the same account and try to make small ammounts of ZEN and purchase additional Character slots (you can have up to 50 characters at just 1 account). This option makes the "Invocation Farm" much easier and less teadious, but it takes time to open new characters slots.

I hope this helped and don't give up just yet, let's just see what's coming at August. Maybe the situation will improve and remember, it's not the Dev's fault...it's the guys who only look at graphics which show what items give the most money and what items cause the most "potential losses"..those guys don't event read this forums :) .

Have fun everyone.

Almondum.
Post edited by almondum on

Comments

• doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not a bad suggestion and probably informative to new players if they read the thread. I have done this myself, but I have gotten only 1 ward so far from doing it and 1 week of praying seem a bit harsh to have no chance at getting what you need. Frankly i'm about to go back to getting sharrandar treasures or something than spending a whole week praying for coal wards. I have multiple toons by the way so I get a few coffers per week and my chances seem to slim at getting the desired ward.

I will keep echoing everyone's plight which is to make wards slightly cheaper if they are not selling like they want, basic business practices, i'm starting to wonder where people are getting their business/marketing degrees ... online??
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still cryptic allowing to change AD for Z, we can get them for free, it's just a lot of invested time to get one.
    I think the % of succes when making enchants should be much higher. I agree that for a perfect or greater enchant 1% is ok, but 1% to get a lesser or normal enchant is way too low.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's a lot faster for new players/non-spenders to farm Astral Diamonds, then convert to Zen, then just buy it in the Zen market. Granted the exchange rate is crazy right now - but that will change. and either way, it will still be *faster* than the invoking method, etc.
    edited May 2014
    the echange rate is now 500. Coal Wards are 1000z I think? (not sure) if that's correct it means we need 500.000 AD for 2 ward. that's just for a lesser enchant. so we need another one for normal, another one for greater and another one for perfect, so that's 2 million AD to get a perfect enchant, just on coal. wards. That's crazy! O.o
    Also enchant prices on the AH will go through the roof now :S
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    the echange rate is now 500. Coal Wards are 1000z I think? (not sure) if that's correct it means we need 500.000 AD for 2 ward. that's just for a lesser enchant. so we need another one for normal, another one for greater and another one for perfect, so that's 2 million AD to get a perfect enchant, just on coal. wards. That's crazy! O.o
    Also enchant prices on the AH will go through the roof now :S

Its 1000 zen for 1 ward. You need a total of 15 Coalescent wards to make a perfect. So, 500,000 AD * 15 = 7.5mil AD.

That is if you go from shards to perfect. Now, add in the cost for Refining and upgrading materials to that 7.5mil.
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'll note that this game might have overhead but its being made up for in lockboxes it seems. If they want more minor transactions then price appropriately. Also in game items don't cost anything to produce they are digital items created at game conception and not physical real world objects and as such don't have a "manufacturer" cost or a distribution or packaging cost. I can buy novels for less than I can buy an in game item here.

Not to be overly sarcastic but I can probably pay for a semester of college for one class with the money that probably gets spent on this game by some people. In fact the top spenders in this game probably could fund a full semester of college .... unless of course the actual income being produced from real money is not there (not sure if PWE is a publicly traded company so I don't think I can just look at their financials) and people are really and truly buying everything with in game AD currency. In which case the whole games economy needs to be re-evaluated because having 17 types of in-game currency isn't exactly beneficial to anyone. If the focus is for zen then it should be strongly suggested that they focus on more small transactions and not fixated on gauging the highest possible price of something just because the 100 people who are top spenders would pay 50 dollars just to have something that looks cool.

Your base customers are free to play, then your job should be to find out how you get money out of them. Obviously you feel that not enough people are buying the things you want them to buy, then maybe you should take a poll and see what price point people will open their wallets up to cause right now its just robbery making the one thing in the end game so expensive.

I guess the alternative is to boycott everything totally and just accept that Neverwinter has peaked and will probably go by the way side by MOD4 due to epic fail in pricing things to meet the needs of the majority base of players.

On a side note, it seems everything in life is this way at least here in America. Why provide a service for a reasonable fee to many when you can provide the same service for an outrageous fee to the few? Anyone seen that designer water that costs like 50 bucks a bottle just because its marketed that way and there are people that 50 dollars doesn't mean anything too?

I enjoy playing Neverwinter but the end game is just a price that is too high and I don't think the powers that be seem to be listening to that. I will miss Neverwinter should it stop getting supported and would happily embrace it should the pleas of the players for more affordable pricing tiers be made available.

There isn't enough ways to make AD in this game that is long term interesting, I enjoyed foundry's but trying to grind out 4 a day or even one a day while having to grind out 4 pvp matches, 3 skirmishes a daily dungeon and all 3 aspects of the GG, I mean really doing all those every day on top of daily quests in sharrandar dread ring and IWD is beyond time consuming, pvp matches at 4 a day can easily take an hour if not more due to the matching system, foundrys at 15 min minimum is going to take an hour, GG is something like an hour and a half of time, doing 3 skirmishes can typically be done pretty easy in 30 minutes, and the daily dungeon well talking at least a half hour if not more depending on group. So lets say all that is about 4 1/2 hours of playing not to mention probably about another 30 minutes for dailies in IWD and assuming you have other dailies that could adjust that up to another hour and more if you have multiple characters. So at 4 1/2 hours a day of game playing (no including trying to do dungeons) you are getting probably 17000 AD which isnt enough to hit your cap of 24k unless you have all the Lord dailies to boot which you can't get all of them on a single day only ones offered on that day so some days you won't get his some you will and that will double the AD of whatever you did get if for ... so conceivably you can hit the 24k cap (if you are in a guild and run dungeons that helps a lot).

What kind of time does PWE/Cryptic think people should be playing games? Realistically speaking it is recommended that you only play about 1 - 2 hours of games a day and then stop to rest your eyes and get psychical exercise by doing other things. Physically sitting in a chair for more than 1 and 2 hours a time can seriously impact your health, it can (not always of course) lead to blood clots that cause death and lead to other physical complications. However most MMO's are set up so that to get anywhere in the game you really should be playing for multiple hours in a day.

I so miss the days of solo RPG where game content was set at about 40 - 60 hours of game play, that you could expereince everything in the game for a set reasonable price. But MMO's like to say not every player should have something cause the players that play day in and day out should "feel" superior to those who don't cause they spend so much time playing they should have all the items the game as to offer, which is of course now supplemented by the fact that to get high end items or to really stand out amongst the masses those that play all the time and spend money that others don't should be the only ones that get to experience all a game as to offer.

Is it just me or does that seem like trying to replace life with an MMO and almost effectively paying an employer to work a part time job instead of working a part time job and getting paid?
    edited May 2014
    wow, I've never tried to get a perfect but it's crazy now! :S
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    almondum wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

It seems our kind Developers have been forced by the finantial department to no longer offer us any margin of escape in purchasing Coalescent Wards. There is nothing they could have done, the one who payed for the game is the one who has the power to destroy/milk it. We should just adapt or..you know the answer.

I want to leave a quick advice for the NEW players to how get some coalescent wards without spending ZEN/Real Money.

If you are new to Neverwinter and you have reached level 11 or 12, you will have a quest with will allow you to Invocate.
    During a week, if you Invocate at least 1 time per 28-30 hours, you will get 1 Celestial Coin per day and at the end of the week, you will have 7/7 Celestial Coins.
    Use this 7 Celestial Coins to buy a "Wondrous Coffer of Augumentation". Open it and you will have 3% (more or less) chance to receive a Coalescent Ward bound to your account.

-3% is a very low drop rate! Indeed it is, but this is a Free to Play game. You can make several other accounts, level your characters to level 12 (2 per account), and keep invocating to increase the number of Coffers you get each week.
    It might be teadious, bit it's free.

-But the Wards are bound to account! Yes, that true, but you can do a small trick. Imagine you have a level 60 GWF on your main account with 4 Shards of Vorpal Enchantment. At your other account, a Coalescent Ward dropped.
    You can send the 4 shards from your main account, to your "farm account" and refine the 4 Shards into a Lesser Vorpal Enchantment.

The more accounts you have, the bigger character number you will posses, the bigger ammount of Coffers you will receive at the end of the week and finally the bigger chance you shall have to get a Coal. Ward.

(Another option for you is to keep playing the same account and try to make small ammounts of ZEN and purchase additional Character slots (you can have up to 50 characters at just 1 account). This option makes the "Invocation Farm" much easier and less teadious, but it takes time to open new characters slots.) - I recommend this option as it also will help you later in the game, like the possibility of having alot of unlocked artifacts!

This might be teadous to do everyday...but it is the only way now. You can combine this with the Leadership leveling at your farming accounts for small Astral Diamond income (here another problem rises as you will lose 10% of AD you made when transferring it to your main account via Auction House).

Another option for you is to keep playing the same account and try to make small ammounts of ZEN and purchase additional Character slots (you can have up to 50 characters at just 1 account). This option makes the "Invocation Farm" much easier and less teadious, but it takes time to open new characters slots.

I hope this helped and don't give up just yet, let's just see what's coming at August. Maybe the situation will improve and remember, it's not the Dev's fault...it's the guys who only look at graphics which show what items give the most money and what items cause the most "potential losses"..those guys don't event read this forums :) .

Have fun everyone.

Almondum.

This is not working i have 10 chars after mod 3 i dont even get 1 CW prayed every day total i think near to 171 opens .
    Lets say this y must make 100 accounts to get 1 CW the total log in log out pray time is too much lets say y can do it in reasonable time 8 min 1 and almost half hour wasted from y gameplay . The question is are y robot or player?If i had to log out log in change chars for one and half hour i dont think i want to play the game my rest time this sound me like work"robot work".
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Allow me to point this out once again:

Whether you agree with the change or not, or your feelings towards said change, rule 3.08 prohibiting Pay to Win discussions or allusions is still in force. Therefore, please construct your feedback to avoid discussion of the topic (or similar allusions thereto). Thank you.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Prices go up, wages (and drops) go down. This is the inherent nature of F2P gaming (and most games in general).
    I aim to misbehave
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    snip - about daily quests for ADs

Anyone who looks at these as a long-term form of game income, especially as something where all of them must be done every single day, is severely facing burnout.

Leaving aside whatever there is to be said about selling stuff for AD that doesn't have to be refined, anyone's primary source of rough AD in the long run should be the Leadership profession. It takes some time to level it up, takes time or initial investment to build up sufficient workers, and takes time to unlock as many slots as possible. How to do all this has been covered on these forums many times.

If you can change out professions twice a day, Leadership and invokes at 60 should be able to get you 14k RAD per day, without using any consumable materials or needing more than 6 profession slots. You can increase this very easily if you can also use your Leadership to keep yourself supplied with district maps and mining claims to use in tasks that give greater amounts of RAD. Have more slots available? Using Gateway to change shorter tasks more often? More income.

If you change professions once a day and invoke once, that is still a guarantee of 7k RAD per level 60 character with Leadership at 20, no materials consumed. Leadership also generates gold and boxes of stuff you can then use or sell.

Dailies from Rhix and Lord Neverember can then be viewed as an extra on top of stuff you were maybe going to do anyway. Some people want to do Foundry. Some people want to PvP. Or you run some skirmishes during bonus time and then get to turn in the daily as well. But you add these to what you get from Leadership, rather than viewing them as all mandatory all the time.

Refinement is still not the fast way to spendable riches, but it doesn't take a lot of time investment to generate rough AD if you're not completely ignoring the easiest way to do it.

"Daily" is simply the reset timer on a repeatable quest, not how often it must be completed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • kalyuxakalyuxa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I always buy the extra character slot when it is on discount. I have 10 characters in this account and 4 in another one. Last week I got 2 coals but before that I got 0 for 2 weeks.

Oh, Tymora...
  • beech75beech75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another tip to help increase chances of getting a c-ward is to stock pile your coffers. Instead of opening 1 per character each week try stacking for a month then have 1 character open them all in one hit. Finally got one last week after opening 16.