test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very disappointed with new character models.

azraelcalesazraelcales Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Not sure if this has been posted before so I apologize if it has. I recently started playing again and wanted to change the appearance of my HR who is a wood elf and liked the result. Later I decided to change my TR who is a half elf and come to find out they look exactly the same. I logged in and out several times thinking it may be a bug to no avail. I decided to look around the site and found this in the notes.

Character Creation update
There are new character creation options for all races including new hair, beards, eyebrows, Tiefling horns and more.
The preset and scaling options have been adjusted for most races especially Elves and Halflings.
This won’t change the appearance of existing characters unless they visit the Tower of Alteration. Some of the old appearances are now gone, but replaced by newer options.

It looks like all the old appearances for male elves are gone and they all just get stuck with the same one. So very disappointed in this :mad:. Guess I need to check on what else has changed before wasting more zen.
Post edited by azraelcales on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My elf didn't change his looks untill I changed it personally. :/
    but that was like 1 week ago.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's been posted about 112 times, but it's cool. Doesn't seem to matter how many people express displeasure with this.. it's still here.

I am glad I got 12 chars created before this.. because if I was new and saw this, I don't know if I'd make it through character creation to try the game out. Seriously, I find it a little bit insulting.

Just my view on it. I mean it in a constructive way.. It's not too late to change it. But to me, it just seems unreal that it hasn't been changed back yet.

At least now I guess I know why a lot of the gear sets come with masks... Always was I puzzled by that... and not one of my chars has the head piece visuals enabled.

Edit: Add options; don't force them!
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • azraelcalesazraelcales Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah I've decided not to change my TR as the look he has is rugged like I want, just wanted to change his eye color and see if the new beards were any good really. I just think it's silly that if you really want to look different as an elf now you have to wear a mask/helmet.
    edited May 2014
    Completely agree with you about it being insulting chaos. I as well have never had any of the head piece visuals enabled and probably never will if I can help it lol. I guess since I've figured out which helm is a bandit mask type for the TR then I can change him later when I put on my lvl 60 set.
  • isoplethisopleth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm glad I have a couple of old style characters. Everything I make now has a big weird baby head.
    edited May 2014
    Glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that lol. Also seems the "heavy" body type for at least half elves is a bit too heavy.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't like the loss of claws/nails.
  • prancerhoodprancerhood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Idk, I re-created my Clark as a GWF and I managed to make him look quite decent. I think it's mostly the girls who got messed up, as you can still somewhat prolong the men's face to make it look not tiny.

I have a question tho, is my memory fading, or did the colour for face paint get changed?
    My TR Clark has those fading marks around mouth and eyes, and it looks white.
    When i wanted to give the same paint to my GWF Clark, it looked grossly yellow/orange-ish so I had to set for a different paint.
    it's pretty annoying that I can't have white paint on black skin idk if that's a thing now or if the red environment of the character creator reflected on it tho
    edited May 2014
    Your sexy-funny-golden-pantalooned Clark was redone? I hope you'll keep the golden pantaloons, they're your signature XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (Clark is the bestest. If new-Clark needs pantaloons, I would even be willing to donate some.)

I haven't tried white on very black skin, but I can take my drow girl into the Tower later to fiddle with it and see how it looks on my system.

Actually, I guess I do have a free character slot now for appearance fiddling from scratch.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Your sexy-funny-golden-pantalooned Clark was redone? I hope you'll keep the golden pantaloons, they're your signature XD

Oh the O.G. Clark will NEVER be re-done lmao

I just made another one as a GWF for ****s and giggles because it's a well known fact i suck at everything else but TR, but i want that GWF artifact from IWD lmao
    It didn't make me feel quite comfortable to play as a new character because i like to stay in-character in NW, and my common character is obviously Clark, so, i just made another clark :P

I should really buy golden pantaloons for him too they go for a few k in AH i think right? it would be hella weird to play a heavily armoured clark, i can't have this
    edited May 2014
    (Clark is the bestest. If new-Clark needs pantaloons, I would even be willing to donate some.)

I haven't tried white on very black skin, but I can take my drow girl into the Tower later to fiddle with it and see how it looks on my system.

Actually, I guess I do have a free character slot now for appearance fiddling from scratch.

lmao oh my gosh clark has fans in the forum i cannot believe this xD
    no need to donate tho i'll just buy me some, shouldn't be hard to find now that the event just ended (:

but yeah pure white looked like old mayonnaise on very black skin, i can't have that on my face
    edited May 2014
    but yeah pure white looked like old mayonnaise on very black skin, i can't have that on my face

It might be good as a facial mask but I think you're supposed to wash that stuff off after like ten minutes.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited May 2014
    I am a fan of the new face models, I think they are much improved and I applaud them for it. I prefer them much more over the wonky bug-eyed versions of the previous faces.

That being said, I still support those who want the option of keeping the old style faces during character creation. I don't like forcing one choice only down people's throats, let them have options instead.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2014

*gets a napkin* You have a little something... there.
  • toxicknight799toxicknight799 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    what they did to halfings is just ,, ugly ,,,,,, they need to be reverted back, seriously i mean awful looking ,,,, if the devs or someone who talks to devs ,,, do something to fix it ,, they are horrid looking lol ,,,,i went to make a new charactor and just the mere sight of the halfling body and face model made me laugh my a... off. its terrible, I am emphasizing this ,,, in hopes maybe someone will listen and fix it , cause good god ,,,, you ruined them ,, lol
    edited May 2014
    The changes to the halflings go hand in hand with the new concept art for them in the new versions of DnD, so I think it's highly improbable the old models for them will be back.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I changed my halfling to the new look and now I think that I made a terrible mistake by doing so. Her new face is great, I love it. The hairstyle is gorgeous. But her new body is so... meh. If there was a change race token, I'd buy it, even if it costed me a monthly payment. :( As always, I provide screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about. She looks even worse when she wears golden pantaloons, her thighs and butt stand out so much, that I can't help but think about her as an obese person in a reflective tracksuit. I like big butts, but this is ridiculous. And her legs are very short, I'd love them to be as long as they were before. I wanted to play a character that looks better than me, not worse. I have enough complexes over my own looks in the real world.

xRTurDH.png

Sorry for complaining so much. If halflings looked this way from the beginning, I wouldn't say a word, I'd just pick a different race for my main character. But now it's like a downgrade in quality and I just can't stand a thing like this. I'm even more mad, because I was stupid enough to change how my character looks, and now I can't go back. She looked better in character creation, when she was standing still, when she's running or fighting it's pretty pathetic.

Does anyone know if the elves in 5th edition are supposed to be superhumans in terms of looks? Because they can still have lovely curves in this game, 90-60-90 or better - big <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, narrow waist, you know what I'm talking about. Like something between a real human and Jessica Rabbit. Wow, I haven't felt so envious in years and it's just a game. It's just not fair. Not fair at all. :(

But the faces are great, good job on that. Believe me or not, but the Devs actually listened to my complains regarding the eyes and jaws on the preview server. It was great, it means that they care what the community thinks. If they were able to change them, maybe they can do something about the bodies, too. :)
  • czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    Ok, I've got an idea. Maybe give us an option to choose the old body and tell Wizards of the Coast, that it's a bug? And after, let's say, a week, "fix" it (but let us keep the bodies)? I mean, there are a lot of bugs in this game (I'm not saying it's bad, every game has them), so it doesn't seem to me like a bad idea. Sorry for driling the topic, but it's really important to me. Every day I run to the Tower of Alteration in hopes that the old bodies return, on the normal and preview server.

Yeah, you can see that I'm getting desperate.
    edited June 2014

I tried this out and on my system the lightest "tattoo" colour against the blackest drow skin isn't yellowish but kind of pinky-beige. Still not a clean white.

Neverwinter Census 2017