test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it just me or does this game have very unresponsive controls?

khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I've played Neverwinter on 2 PCs so far, and I both of them I've had the same issue - controls are unresponsive, and sometimes even glitchy. This gets me killed sometimes, so it can get very frustrating. This game has some pretty fast paced combat, and obviously needs sharp controls. The way it's working for me, Nevewinter does not have the sharp controls it should have - not always, anyway.
What am I talking about? For example: I try to dodge an AoE, and my character only teleports half way and then gets pulled back inside the AoE (I'm not talking about rubberbanding here, as the game works fine otherwise). Sometimes my characters takes a few steps in the direction I'm trying to dodge, then the teleport goes off. I have enough Stamina, but the teleport just doesn't go off right away. For some reason this happens only on my Wizard and (I think) Cleric.
Another example: I try to use potions in the middle of a fight, and it just doesn't work. I have to press the button many times before it decides to work. This can get very annoying. Other times, when the Soulforge enchantment procs, and I try to heal, the potion is consumed and goes on cooldown, but I get no healing from it.
It's the same thing with powers. Sometimes they just don't go off when I press the button. AoE powers especially.

Now, I know I'm that that bad of a gamer, I can tell when it's my fault, and when the game is unresponsive. I have pretty good reflexes and I've been playing Neverwinter from the beginning. I'm playing mostly DPS characters and I usually am the top DPS in the party. I'm not bragging, just saying I don't suck at the game. I'm not having a beetching fit either. I just wanna know I can make the game work better for me.

Am I the only one that has these problems? Do I have a delay because I live in Europe? Can anyone, please, give me an idea how to make it better?
I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
Post edited by khimera906 on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Drop the fourth paragraph entirely and you have a compelling argument (top dog DPS scores do not validate a "great player" any more than any other statistic). Seriously, other than the entirely redundant and unnecessary fourth paragraph, I agree completely. And it is on my Wizard that I notice how dodging sometimes just doesn't work.

I have no doubt it is "game-lag" - not that it does actually work as intended. Their seems to always have been a slight delay (like a quarter-second or so) between giving the command and something actually happening. There are two way to invoke the dodge: double-tap a direction key or shift-arrow direction key. I seem to get the "failed" dodge more often with the double-tap method.

as for using powers of (name any class you choose) - any delay is animation and likely intended. As for potions firing but not healing: yeah, I've had that happen, too. But I've also noticed at time that what appear to be not working actually is: the potion is taken and heals the very moment I receive a nasty clobber, knocking the health right back down again. if I weren't paying attention I'd proclaim the potion didn't work. I'm not saying this is always the case, it could be intermittently broken, but sometimes it's just *not*.

The biggest thing you bring up is the dodge aspect. I genuinely believe it's a timing issue. And sometimes the timing is off just the right amount that a clobber cancels things. As for the walk two-steps-but-not-dodge thing: that's definitely timing/keyboard failure (not physically, but properly invoking the controls). As for moving and bouncing back: likely a ping-lag issue (the client-server is a predictive thing: the server predicts where you'll be and pings often to confirm. But if client get's out of whack from server then server overrides client).

Just my own insight/hypothesis/guestimated feedback on the subject.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »
    I try to dodge an AoE, and my character only teleports half way and then gets pulled back inside the AoE (I'm not talking about rubberbanding here, as the game works fine otherwise).
    Yup, happens all the time on my HR, she dodges, is a mile away from the red AoE and then she still gets hit with it.
    Another example: I try to use potions in the middle of a fight, and it just doesn't work. I have to press the button many times before it decides to work.
    Have noticed that too.

Also, sometimes the movement keys doesn't seem to work, I press the W and she just stands there and does nothing. This I have mostly noticed on my TR when I try to chase some mob who's running away from me and she refuses to move. I thought it was my old keyboard at first but then I bought a new one and it's still happening. Very frustrating.
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Am I the only one that has these problems? Do I have a delay because I live in Europe? Can anyone, please, give me an idea how to make it better?

you are not the only one having these problems, however I do live in Europe, which doesn't narrow it down any further.

One guy I was chatting with told me "It's all javascript anyways" that's when I fell into the trap of knowing how such bugs occur without having any proof that the bugs were caused by the same method.

For example, in theory, when you go for the potion, if you send information through the regular exchanges and at some point a packet is lost, the server doesn't recognise the item ID for the potion, and can't consume it.

However the chance of that happening is so remote as to favour the notion that community sites align ping tests to the players client making it review information, rather than send information on the Front Side Bus.

It's the above that leads some to the conclusion of 'l337h4x' and will oftentimes describe the situation.

Although not unlike DDoS, it's the same as a mailbomb, where people all send friends requests to the same person hoping they DCon.

Definitely more plausible than "Server could not authenticate command for potion, please re-roll". Only an Analyst would have the right answer.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Rubberbanding back into a splat is as said above, caused by latency. It's weird because it doesn't always move you back to where you dodged from, but often puts you just on the inside of the red. The kick is that it doesn't give you immunity frames, as when everything is working correctly, you can dodge and stay in the red and still be immune.

One thing about potions and a fair number of beneficial effects from both the player and other party members (ITC, healing etc...) is that they are subject to the immunity frames from dodging as well. You can dodge healing and/or pots if the timing is just right(wrong).
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm in Canada and have recently started to have problems with unresponsive controls.

Potions going on cooldown without healing you might come from a longstanding issue where if you dodge at the same time as hitting the potion, you can actually dodge the effect of the potion.

But things like movement keys and encounters not going off when you tell them to has been a problem. Sometimes I know it's because a control effect interfered, but sometimes you're just... trying to walk, and not getting anywhere.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lag/latency is what you are describing.

Has occured to me a lot more the last two days, or so, although generally, it's fairly rare in my case.

Did have an odd one, yesterday. Was changing out an enchantment just before a boss and didn't catch that we were going in. Pulled us in and I was stuck with a discard-confirm/cancel screen in the middle of my hud, keyboard dissabled (none of the keys would work) so I couldn't change anything. Mouse buttons still worked but, could not select cancel or discard to clear it. Luckily, it was my guardian fighter and the right button was the short distance shield bash...only way I could move. Got killed trying to fight that way but, couldn't just stand there. Luckily we had two GWFs in the group that were more than a match for the boss. Party realised I was having serious issues and waited for me to ctrl-alt-del out and relog to get my purple bracers.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
    edited May 2014
    I'm in Canada and have recently started to have problems with unresponsive controls.

Potions going on cooldown without healing you might come from a longstanding issue where if you dodge at the same time as hitting the potion, you can actually dodge the effect of the potion.

But things like movement keys and encounters not going off when you tell them to has been a problem. Sometimes I know it's because a control effect interfered, but sometimes you're just... trying to walk, and not getting anywhere.

Have had that happen, didn't realise it was common. Problem is, when I need to heal, I'm usually trying to break contact at the same time. LOL Guess I need to work on that, a bit. Only been playing Neverwinter for a month and a half, or so.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

• vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's just you.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for the reply.

I never use double tap, just shift. Double tap is very unreliable.
    For me the potion is consumed, but fails to heal, just after the Soulforge enchantment procs. That may be a timing thing, like the potion is used just before I die, then Soulforge resurrects me with the potion still on cooldown. What's more annoying is when I'm taking damage like crazy and I'm frantically trying to heal my self and the potion is consumed after the 5th tap of the key.
    The powers that fail to go off are AoEs that you cast at target location, like Chains of Blazing Light (Cleric). I press the key and get the circle that indicates where the AoE will be cast, but when I press the key again the power doesn't go off. It's not the animation, the powers is just not cast at all. This happens especially when I double tap the key fast, but sometimes it fail when I click the target location, or tap the key slower, as well.
    Dodging works perfectly on my Rogue, but on the Wizard the teleport works strange even out of combat sometimes. I mentioned combat because that's where it's the most frustrating.

Yes, DPS scores do not show much. I did mentioned the DPS scores, however, because I mostly play DPS orientated characters. If I told you I'm a Rogue on the bottom of the DPS charts, you would think that I'm doing something wrong, right? I just wanted to point out that I'm not a frustrated, new player, but yes, it is a bit redundant :)
    edited May 2014
    vortican wrote: »
    It's just you.
    Thank you for the insightful response :D
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When you are taking on the dragon in MC and you are clearly in the white zone during his strafing runs, but still take full red damage. That is what happened to me yesterday. So I have felt your pain!

I think it is lag issue. As it does not happen all the time. Unable to really determine if it is game lag or ISP lag. I know my connection to my ISP is fast, but not sure how fast my ISP's interconnections are on the internet when people start their Netflix and Youtube HD frenzy every night.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Constant and alll the time and I attribute it to latency. Happens a lot in pvp. Hit 7 for the mount and three seconds later I am on the mount. Keep tapping 7 instead of just hitting it once and my character is mounted then unmounted then mounted and unmounted again. Or going onto an enemy occupied node, my encounter powers all open and I am clicking on them and nothing is happening then two seconds later they are locked then my character is dead.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Did have an odd one, yesterday. Was changing out an enchantment just before a boss and didn't catch that we were going in. Pulled us in and I was stuck with a discard-confirm/cancel screen in the middle of my hud, keyboard dissabled (none of the keys would work) so I couldn't change anything. Mouse buttons still worked but, could not select cancel or discard to clear it. Luckily, it was my guardian fighter and the right button was the short distance shield bash...only way I could move. Got killed trying to fight that way but, couldn't just stand there. Luckily we had two GWFs in the group that were more than a match for the boss. Party realised I was having serious issues and waited for me to ctrl-alt-del out and relog to get my purple bracers.

I've gotten stuck in a door because I had my inventory open to switch my consumables and got pulled into the boss fight while I was still fiddling. Only dying and having Soulforged pop me back up enabled me to participate. I couldn't even use chat while I was stuck to let my guildies know why I was just standing there (though they could obviously tell something was wrong).

I think the next time something similar happened, I discovered that hitting Esc to bring up the menu and then closing it restored normalcy.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2014
    onodrain wrote: »
    When you are taking on the dragon in MC and you are clearly in the white zone during his strafing runs, but still take full red damage. That is what happened to me yesterday. So I have felt your pain!

I think it is lag issue. As it does not happen all the time. Unable to really determine if it is game lag or ISP lag. I know my connection to my ISP is fast, but not sure how fast my ISP's interconnections are on the internet when people start their Netflix and Youtube HD frenzy every night.

Indicative of server side calculations. Your computer shows you what you are doing but, the server still thinks that you're somewhere else. Latency/lag.

• korpiperkelekorpiperkele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yea - double tapping fails quite often. Rather annoying in pvp where if you don't dodge that first prone you're dead :P
    edited May 2014
    Yes, sometimes is latency, but I'm not sure that is the case all the time. Sometimes everything works fine except for one aspect like pots, or dodging, or whatever. I think trying to do many actions really fast is what cancels some of the actions you are doing.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some damage immunity abilities, in particular dodging, can cause healing potions not to work but still get consumed. I'm guessing that's what you're seeing as far as the potions goes. Cryptic listed that bug as fixed a loooong time ago, but it never was. The only workaround is to make sure not to use them immediately after/during dodging.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • hetz000hetz000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes, sometimes is latency, but I'm not sure that is the case all the time. Sometimes everything works fine except for one aspect like pots, or dodging, or whatever. I think trying to do many actions really fast is what cancels some of the actions you are doing.

I have had this kind of problems with my GF`s block, if i press shift and immediatly after click attack my block drops, same with pots.
  • silverson13silverson13 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Exactly the same problems with my CW. Recently these are so frequent, the game is unplayable ...
  • serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sounds like latency issues.
    That's what happens when designers design fights based on their 0ms latency and not 300ms connections around the world.
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    IDK if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but getting hit by powerful interrupt abilities such as the TR's Dazing Strike, HR's Disruptive Shot, and more importantly, the most troublesome interrupt in the game, the GWF's Roar, can cause VERY serious latency issues. Sometimes your client thinks that you issued a command, but it ends up getting overridden.

If you get hit by Roar, or any of the aforementioned interrupt skills, it'll take 3 - 5 presses of a skill for it to register to NW's battle server. That is if you're lucky enough that you haven't been CC'd to death during that time.
  • taercennxtaercennx Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It is a programmer error, not a player error. The fact that people all over the world are logging onto one server, creates lag/latency issues. Adding some non-us servers would be one solution. Honestly though, the controls for this game are just plain slow.
  • packetjpacketj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    One of the reason's why I can't enjoy pvp much. I feel like I'm always "handicapped" versus those players without latency issues. :D