test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open WOrld PvP - Players Log Out to Avoid Combat

beastiegboysbeastiegboys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
I don't have any option to post so I'll write it here. Players who quit on purpose the game while being on ice wind pvp should be banned or have penalties for that kind of dishonoured behaviour. And I'm not talking about 30minutes penalty but some serious one 2mln ad, lost all arden and cerlestial coins lost some equipmnet they wear or something similiar. Because if 3 people are chasing one guy it's ok but if anyone from them is gonna be killed it never happen cause they quit the game. Please, do something with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by beastiegboys on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Please do not hijack threads. If you are having problems posting then contact the moderation team.

I have not experienced this issue myself but I can certainly see it happening. However I am thinking the reason for this happening is more likely because of the injury costs or because they are facing an impossible fight.

I can't promise changes to any of those three but I can promise the devs are keen on looking into feedback about the Open World PvP in general. Hopefully we will see some changes soon to address any less than desirable behavior but more importantly any causes for less than desirable behavior.
  • janus408janus408 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2014
    I can't promise changes to any of those three but I can promise the devs are keen on looking into feedback about the Open World PvP in general.

It is completely dead?

No one does it?

There is no benefit to doing it?

Player run to the campfire or log out to avoid deaths?

Deaths from players cost you repair kits, which is ridiculous?

If you wanted it to be a real thing you should be able to enter IWP instances where the whole thing is PVP flagged, not just a small area? Make them have higher spawn rates of heroic encounters, 10% more black ice from black ice veins, a higher chance at scrimshaw tokens, etc. to incentivize people participating.

Currently there is no reason to do openworld pvp, which doesn't even qualify as pvp, especially since the encounter there is completely broken.
    image.php?u=98731135&type=sigpic&dateline=1402362156
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The pvp area should have a zone that people stand in like a dungeon, when both sides have the same or close to the same amount of players it opens up. As of right now its usually me trying to get my Dwarven runes or Kill adventurers against 4-5 of the opposing faction.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Open PvP zones are dead. Usually nobody in, rarely get into some combat. TRs and GWFs have the ability to run to "town" and unflag, so it's kinda useless. Gratz to those that spent millions on companions preparing for this miracle zone. I'm happy I was smarter this time.
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I was in a queue for a dungeon in openworld PvP, charged a GF... the queue popped. I accepted. I entered the dungeon, the other team quit except for the TR, I left too. I appeared behind the GF who was still mining Black Ice.

I figured the above was exploiting to the Nth degree, so I haven't done it since. However logging off from the game client until the fight is over, listening to your friends on VoIP for when the target is another 30 feet away is the same level of shenanigans. More so as they can log off in a group of 2 v 1, with one at 10% the target at 50% and the other at 60% then log back in with time to potion.

If there was a log out timer that guaranteed you stayed inside the game at your location for a couple of seconds it would remove the notion of logging off to save on injury kits. It wouldn't counter the dungeon joining tactic.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I fought a GWF for about 10 minutes with my CW in IWD yesterday, back pedaling and teleporting all over the map while he sprinted at me, across bridges, jumping off of cliffs, climbing hills and using the knock back from my CW artifact to knock him off multiple times. It was an epic battle and a lot of fun, and when I finally got him down I stopped to type "good game" in the say chat before stomping on his body, only he rage logged after he was dead so I didn't get to execute him and didn't get my kill credit or scrimshaw.

Other games don't let your character log out in combat even if you quit the game, this should have been anticipated and needs to be fixed.
  • pompalompapompalompa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    using the knock back from my CW artifact to knock him off multiple times.

if you don't mind me asking, what are your 3 preferred artifacts for CW open world pvp?
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh boo-hoo. Some folks aren't going to be happy until the entire world is open PvP 24/7. It's not going to happen. The carrot to get people into open PvP area is the dailies and the motherlode. Whining because you didn't get to kill an opposing player is pretty silly. This game doesn't lock you into content anywhere else just to appease other players, so why would PvP be any different? The fact that you get flagged and have to run away or logout to leave (or else consume an injury kit) is already a penalty.

Nothing else needs to be done to appease glory hound PvPers.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pompalompa wrote: »
    if you don't mind me asking, what are your 3 preferred artifacts for CW open world pvp?

I'm using the sigil of the controller, the blood crystal raven skull and the lantern of revelation, using the sigil as my primary in both open world and domination. There are probably better ones stat wise but that's what I have available to me other than the whole realms catalog that switch to when I need to buy potions or clear inventory.
  • kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think when people do this there should be an Admin message letting everyone know.

- RandomGuy Battleheart has dishonored his name by fleeing from combat! -

Throw it on for people who quit Domination matches, too. :D
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I get my butt handed to my all the time in PvP (still learning and gearing up) but I have never wanted to logout just to avoid it. I get frustrated because the animations on my HR or GF seem "slow" when trying to cycle thru my powers but I stick with it. If you don't want to die, don't PvP. Just like life, there's always someone better than you ;)
    I aim to misbehave
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    vortican wrote: »
    It's not going to happen.

Perhaps, if full loot was recommended? (Joking, this isn't the game for that. Also, not enough respect is typed out on the forums for the original Dungeons and Dragons lot for getting such a compelling genre into the mainstream same with the developers. Kudos!)

On another topic, people are still in the openworld pvp domination areas, and also flagged for pvp all over the map. It shouldn't be mandatory everywhere 24/7, but the relog or instance queue does clear the pvp flag outside of the pvp area, and lets face it, running around the pvp area when no one else is there is likely to net a 1v1 fight, and if the domination match starts the purple crafting material for first place is worth fighting for (15-40k)
  • relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd love to PvP more there. Problem is, whenever I'm facing more then 5 people, what gets me killed is lag more then the enemy players. So I'm mostly doing dailies and only occasionally PvP for sport. After some 15 minutes though game leaks so much memory, that it becomes impossible to play without re-launching client.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • lcwwpyjhjslcwwpyjhjs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    relativity wrote: »
    I'd love to PvP more there. Problem is, whenever I'm facing more then 5 people, what gets me killed is lag more then the enemy players. So I'm mostly doing dailies and only occasionally PvP for sport. After some 15 minutes though game leaks so much memory, that it becomes impossible to play without re-launching client.

Try switching ur graphic into directx 9ex. It solved my memory leaking problem as i had the same problem in directx11.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's Open World PvP. It's just how it is. No way to stop it. I've seen players bail by logging out from PvP zones since 1996, when some people desperately used to "pull the plug" to avoid getting the death (and looted) in Ultima Online.

...so ...erm.. nice weather today..?

(ps) Here's a tip for those relatively inexperienced in PvP.

Open World PvP, in whatever game, is not the rosy pink, fun and immersive PvP combat zone you might think it is. As a matter of fact OPvP is THE integrated result of every existing cheese and exploit and griefing and lameness ever possible in a PvP environment. It always has been that way. So don't get your hopes up.

It is not that Cryptic's done a bad job. The reality is, nobody does a good job in OPvP. It is impossible.

For one thing, the most basic, fundamental, No.1 requirement for a fun PvP is "roughly even numbers". In OPvP, there is nothing that guarantees even numbers, Even the very first element of fun and fair PvP is something that cannot be guaranteed.

Hence, OPvP is a hellhole of the survival of the fittest. Anything goes. Every dirty, cheap, not-fun, griefing, exploiting tactic is justified. So don't expect "FUN" from OPvP unless you're the type that finds masochistic thrill from extreme disadvantageous conditions, or sociopathic sadistic pleasure by griefing someone over and over. ( ← the reason why stealthed classes thrive in OPvP in any game :p )
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Many players in the open world zone are simply not interested in fighting, they wanna run their dailies and get out of there asap.

Take my DC. He's tough with the right gear and can challenge points 1v1 in a Domination match quite successfully, but what should I do with him in open world? He can survive a long time against anybody, but the best he can manage is a stall. So what's the point in a setting where only kills count? Running my dailies, whenever I get approached, I mount up or run. That's not exactly logging off, but it's also not exactly pvping. Most opponents will let go eventually so I am able to either return to the zone or change the instance.

I myself don't hunt players in the open world if I get the feeling they don't want to fight, because it only leads to frustration on both sides. If they don't want to get killed, they won't get killed, so searching for players with similar interests makes more sense. Example: Had two really fun Domination matches today that went back and forth, giant involved and all that.

And please stop it already with that honor <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Most people playing that card want easy kills. See spawn camping penalty.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The logging out to avoid dying is a bit sad only because you lose literally nothing from dying, but what are you gunna do. It's technically a pve/pvp zone so you dont really get much for killing them aswell.
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • greygusgreygus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I miss daoc and warhammer online.... opvp was pretty fun it sounds like this game peeps dont wish to fight. Was really lookin farward to trying opvp out too... :(
  • rubixman3rubixman3 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Hence, OPvP is a hellhole of the survival of the fittest. Anything goes. Every dirty, cheap, not-fun, griefing, exploiting tactic is justified.
    And this is why Cryptic confined it to only 20% of the map. If you don't like the danger, stay out. There is plenty of room elsewhere on the map for you to be death free and happy, so don't complain. Also, their is a good reason for coming to the pvp zone(which is normally abandoned, and is therefore safe). The reason is to mine the massive black ice deposits around there, which grant like 180-300 black ice per node. This is faster than encounters by a moderate amount, and in my opinions if you have the means to use up that much ice, then it is by far the best way to obtain it.
    This it not to mention that EVERY class except maybe the cleric has some means to put distance between them and an attacker. GWF=sprint tr=stealth cw=control powers hr=various encounters AND control powers gf=chain prones, it just a pain to hunt them.
    That said, no one wants to run around the map for ten minutes to kill 1 guy for a chance at a scrimshaw, so run and live so you can get back to mining. If you don't want to run OR fight, then why are you even in the pvp area?
    If you fight and lose then that's your problem, not everyone else's.
    As far as injuries go, remember the quote at the beginning of this post. Does that sound like a nice world to you? A world where you might find a wonderful little campfire to sit and heal your injuries by? no. So if you're mad because you can't win and can't get away, then and are in turn getting loads of injuries, then don't pvp with that toon. Simple solutions.

As to the affect of the logging out when enemies are coming, i agree with former posts in that could be aided by putting a MANDATORY 15 second wait on logging out. I wouldn't be concerned with getting out of opvp with ques, because ques are not consistent with the times they take to give a group the opportunity to enter whatever they qued for.

As for getting nuked by groups, well that just sucks that that happens to you. Deal with it, they were more organized than you so you died. And again, its just as easy to run from five guys than one if you are equipped for getting around places quickly.
  • harrivengerharrivenger Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It is not that Cryptic's done a bad job. The reality is, nobody does a good job in OPvP. It is impossible.

Actually, Dark Ages of Camelot (DAoC) did quite well in their OPvP. Having been playing a few MMORPG (DAoC, Warhammer) with PvP features and I believe a "balance" PvP should have odd number of factions, instead of even number of factions.
    Harrivenger (Master Infiltrator)
    Ebony (Whisperknife)

• kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Actually, Dark Ages of Camelot (DAoC) did quite well in their OPvP. Having been playing a few MMORPG (DAoC, Warhammer) with PvP features and I believe a "balance" PvP should have odd number of factions, instead of even number of factions.

Different times, different people, different way of thinking. If they remake DAoC and bring in the generation of gamers who never played DAoC, I guarantee things are going to be very different.

That, and the rosy pink (and warped) memories of DAoC. DAoC wasn't exactly free from balance busting, grueling problems.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I for one like Open World PVP. It's the only place where I can test certain combat conditions I won't be able to in PVP Domination or Gauntlgrym (because that place is more like a horse race, and it'd be better if we got a real mount racing mini-game here in NW), such as being able to try and fight more than 10 people at once. I like the challenge until my PC starts giving up on me and lags out. But in the end I still get to benefit from the experience.

But I have to say that OW-PVP favors defensive melee builds heavily. I personally would like to see more obstacles and structures we can use in order to confuse and elude enemies. This should allow offensively-built classes such as CWs, HRs, and possibly DPS DC's, to take advantage of their surroundings and use these obstacles as their defense. Some neat defensive structures would be a watch tower, one with a single entrance and getting to the top would require players to actually climb the tower. This should give solo CW's some better support and offense capabilities, and they would also be able to knock melees off the tower when they get the opportunity to do so. That is until a rogue infiltrates the tower undetected and harasses the CW on top, forcing him to either jump or battle for the tower. Another advantage that watchtowers can provide ranged classes is that it will increase the range of all the ranged abilities by 30', allowing players to hit much further than they should be able to.

Some other possible structures would be bunkers, and these structures would favor melee classes. The bunker I'm imagining would be an enclosed space, around 45m in diameter, and this will give ranged classes inside this place a significant disadvantage because their range will be effectively cut in half, while melee classes will be able to reach ranged classes much faster. The advantage of being inside a bunker will be increased Tenacity and Regeneration by 10% each, allowing players to recuperate while inside the structure, and there will also be a switch inside a bunker that will close the structure for 15 seconds. Until that time is over, there will be no one getting out.

It would also be great if we could somehow prepare traps such as landslides, spiked pitfalls, etc. Or even just the regular traps we see in dungeons such as floor spikes.

Anyway, this is just me fantasizing about an Open World PVP which I think would be a whole lot funner than what we have right now.
    edited May 2014
    Different times, different people, different way of thinking. If they remake DAoC and bring in the generation of gamers who never played DAoC, I guarantee things are going to be very different.

That, and the rosy pink (and warped) memories of DAoC. DAoC wasn't exactly free from balance busting, grueling problems.

Agreed, when comes to PvP, there is always a huge challenge for the Dev to balance the classes. Have to give the credit to DAoC Dev that they did quite well in balancing the classes as compare to other MMORPG. Warhammer was a failure in balancing the class between Orders and Chaos factions and the PvP have the same issue with what Neverwinter GG PvP is facing now. That is, one faction totally dominated the other faction. In DAoC, which has 3 factions, allow the 2 weaker factions are able to form temp alliance to fight against the Strongest faction.
    Ebony (Whisperknife)

• qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't have any option to post so I'll write it here. Players who quit on purpose the game while being on ice wind pvp should be banned or have penalties for that kind of dishonoured behaviour. And I'm not talking about 30minutes penalty but some serious one 2mln ad, lost all arden and cerlestial coins lost some equipmnet they wear or something similiar. Because if 3 people are chasing one guy it's ok but if anyone from them is gonna be killed it never happen cause they quit the game. Please, do something with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do you even care if the chicken logs out? You won!
    Is that not the purpose of PvP?
    edited May 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    Why do you even care if the chicken logs out? You won!
    Is that not the purpose of PvP?

Well, with Mod3 PvP Campaign, the actual "killing" is one of the goal objectives. And just like PvE Boons, we need to complete a certain PvP objectives to earn those PvP rewards like Boons and PvP rings etc.
    Ebony (Whisperknife)

edited May 2014
    Well, with Mod3 PvP Campaign, the actual "killing" is one of the goal objectives. And just like PvE Boons, we need to complete a certain PvP objectives to earn those PvP rewards like Boons and PvP rings etc.

Well if they ever run into me in the PvP section mining black ice, they'll be able to get their kills pretty easily, but I love to try and respawn before they can kick, depriving them of their execution ahahah.
  • norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2014

GW2 had a similar problem and what Anet did to fix it was, if a player logged off during WvW (open world pvp) combat then the other person received the normal rewards for a pvp combat victory, and the person who logged off received the loss penalty, in this case, armor repair costs.

So do the same to neverwinter. The winner gets their kill credit and the loser logs back in having to use an injury kit.

Of course with the way things are going, the real problem is that we seem to have a vast vast majority of people in this game who don't want pvp to be pvp. They want to wander in a pvp zone, collect their quest and profession items unmolested. Strange folk.
    edited May 2014
    norsemanx wrote: »
    Of course with the way things are going, the real problem is that we seem to have a vast vast majority of people in this game who don't want pvp to be pvp. They want to wander in a pvp zone, collect their quest and profession items unmolested. Strange folk.

Why is this a problem and/or strange? I'll be the first to admit not being very keen on PvP, mostly because I'm not very good at it nor do I want to take the time to learn PvP strategy. However, I accept the risk to get the rewards of the PvP quests. If I get murdered while mining some sweet black ice in PvP zone, that's just how it works. The risk is kinda cool too and I get away with something if I manage to make it out without dying. There's nothing that is preventing people from engaging in PvP at any time; obviously there isn't enough interest there most of the time to actually trigger the PvP domination match, but whose fault is that? Where are all the PvPers then? Probably farming Heroic Encounters to get their Black Ice gear. That's just the way the cookie crumbles but this isn't a problem that needs fixing by the developers.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    I fought a GWF for about 10 minutes with my CW in IWD yesterday, back pedaling and teleporting all over the map while he sprinted at me, across bridges, jumping off of cliffs, climbing hills and using the knock back from my CW artifact to knock him off multiple times. It was an epic battle

Ranged mage vs Melee warrior, an epic 1v1 ?
    Wurtne, Wurtne, come back and show them.
  • thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I still have to hit IWD, but from what I read, people are allowed to log out in a OPVP area? Lol, even in Ultima Online you couldn't insta log off...on Warhammer Online (RIP) you had to wait 15 secs, iirc. Major blunder on game designers, if this is true.
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)