What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

afk in domination matches

Comments

• Options
    slintashslintash Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    It's funny how most complaints always result in penalties against the losing team.

You're losing against a premade with a huge gear advantage? Well we ban you if you leave the match.
    Instead you go and afk at the campfire. Well, that isn't any fun, let's ban them for not coming down and playing.

Seriously what are you going to do next? Ban people for losing?

You can't force people to play if they arn't having fun, unless you want people to hate the game, then feel free.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i played WoW for 6 years...i never did rbgs or premades unless i queued with a few friends but it was never fully a 10m premade. this coming from someone who has pvp'd in games for a very long time. when you enter a battleground/domination...people expect others to do their job and help. they expect the healer to heal or if u have heals throw one out once in a while when someone needs it. they expect people to help, but when people dont it gets very frustrating. and when people afk it leaves a disadvantage to the whole team. in wow, people were able to say "report (name) afk" and if enough people did it they would get a debuff. the debuff lasted for 1 min. if they didnt enter combat after that 1 min, they they would get another debuff. after another minute they were forcefully ejected from the match and another person would join the queue. ive seen this many times over the years and it always ends up with the ones who give up not rezzing while others who still want to try still fighting to win.

i didn't go all the way to 60 in wow, but the game was far more balanced pre-60. here, gwf's are king even b4 lvl 60 and definitely after 60
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    slintash wrote: »
    It's funny how most complaints always result in penalties against the losing team.

You're losing against a premade with a huge gear advantage? Well we ban you if you leave the match.
    Instead you go and afk at the campfire. Well, that isn't any fun, let's ban them for not coming down and playing.

You can't force people to play if they arn't having fun, unless you want people to hate the game, then feel free.

What frustrates me, is that the losers get less exp. You both pump in equal time, but they can grind up twice as fast. Not fair at all.
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do not care for pvp. I only do pvp for daily quests, and now the pvp campaign. The reason I do not like PVP is the fanatics that worship pvp. I get screamed at for not using the right spell (regardless of the fact it has zero affect since tenacity. I get screamed at because 2 of my team dropped out and I decide to just afk, or I decide that we are down 200 points to ten, and any one of their five can kill our entire team solo. Every now and then, (about as common as hens teeth) I get a pretty balanced and the pvp match is fun. And no I do not like where my team roflstomps the other team either. An afk penalty that is automated can be evaded. One that can be voted on WILL be abused. Basically I see the ones who want it are the ones who want some outclassed chump to keep running up to them and sacrificing themselves so they can gain more glory or stats on the leader board.
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    truckula wrote: »
    I do not care for pvp. I only do pvp for daily quests, and now the pvp campaign. The reason I do not like PVP is the fanatics that worship pvp. I get screamed at for not using the right spell (regardless of the fact it has zero affect since tenacity. I get screamed at because 2 of my team dropped out and I decide to just afk, or I decide that we are down 200 points to ten, and any one of their five can kill our entire team solo. Every now and then, (about as common as hens teeth) I get a pretty balanced and the pvp match is fun. And no I do not like where my team roflstomps the other team either. An afk penalty that is automated can be evaded. One that can be voted on WILL be abused. Basically I see the ones who want it are the ones who want some outclassed chump to keep running up to them and sacrificing themselves so they can gain more glory or stats on the leader board.

I I I (full of "Is" here)

THIS POST is a symbol of someone that is doing something that he doesn't care of, ruining the experience for the people that ACTUALLY ENJOY that particular game content. Selfish and obnoxious (I do pve/rp so pvprs are the SCUM of the earth)

Nice one: now we have an example of "how NOT to play a pve/pvp game"
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited May 2014

THIS POST is a symbol of someone that is doing something that he doesn't care of, ruining the experience for the people that ACTUALLY ENJOY that particular game content. Selfish and obnoxious (I do pve/rp so pvprs are the SCUM of the earth)

Nice ad hominem, but do you have anything that actually counters a point truckula was making?
  • Options
    unbahunbah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Some ppl enjoy pvp but don't enjoy broken matchmaking, OP specs and the fact that you either follow one particular build or get roflstomped. Give us some more "fixes" like tenacity, "working" matchmaking, recent GWF "fix" or the afk penatly some people keep talking about, and even more people won't give a flying F about pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

it is the truth though

i got screamed at because my team had 2 inactives who let themselves be free kills and logged out after a few minutes. i was surprised i was the one to blame when there are 2 people who didn't help at all and even logged out. i mean 2 people standing perfectly still for like 3-5 mins as free kills and logging out later did not even concern that person at all.

the only ones who benefit from further penalties are the winning team. you can be as much of a die-hard as you want, once the match is settled.....it's settled. no ifs, ands, or buts will change a 10 sec roflstomp into an actual fight. everyone died in 10 seconds for a reason >.>.

pretty much this. the extent people go to secure their free kills is amazing. if these penalties are implemented, then i guess cryptic will never separate premades from pugs and y would they? the premades get more ranks from constantly killing pugs that must jump down to avoid a ban rather than an actual fight.

but really guys, u WON. take that to heart and go on to fight stronger opponents.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Please do something to pikers. After they think the enemy team "might" be more powerful, they just pike at campfire and do nothing.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    truckula wrote: »

If you don't like it then DON'T DO IT! The PVP campaign boons are only active when you are flagged for PVP, if you don't like PVP then why bother trying to do the PVP campaign? I don't really like doing dungeons, does that mean I should queue for them anyways and just half *** is and try and get my team to carry me to free rewards? No, people would get mad and I would get kicked, so I don't run dungeons. You are not entitled to rewards from content that you don't intend to fully participate in.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    Nice ad hominem, but do you have anything that actually counters a point truckula was making?

I thought it was ridiculously easy to understand but...

"I get screamed at because 2 of my team dropped out and I decide to just afk, or I decide that we are down 200 points to ten, and any one of their five can kill our entire team solo"(Courtesy of Trucula)

^ THIS attitude is demeaning of the effort of the others that are trying to do something, and mmm maybe learning something more about their toon, their abilities, positioning etc. Just deciding to afk "because we are losing bad" it's LUDICROUS.

Strange that in PVE, due to parties, one can get BOOTED if afk/non collaborative, while (oh god spare us!) something along the lines CANNOT be implemented for PvP, and for major reasons.

If you are wondering "ok dude but what about you and pvp? Guess you roflstomp peeps eh? Minmax much eh?"". Guess again: I am a poor lowly guildless puggy ->HR<- and wether I am in a bad bad situation in pvp (one time my team lost 1000-20, Trucula, take THIS) or pvE (like you are surrounded by uber-leet CW/GWF), I will always do my best. And doing things against all odds simply taught me how to play better (than before).
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    If you don't like it then DON'T DO IT! The PVP campaign boons are only active when you are flagged for PVP, if you don't like PVP then why bother trying to do the PVP campaign? I don't really like doing dungeons, does that mean I should queue for them anyways and just half *** is and try and get my team to carry me to free rewards? No, people would get mad and I would get kicked, so I don't run dungeons. You are not entitled to rewards from content that you don't intend to fully participate in.

Some people are just completists or want the unique rewards (Banner artifacts most namely) or whatever. And they will take the fastest route. Nothing wrong with it really, this is happening in every other area of the game as well.

The PVP campaign has worsened the problem. Before Mod3, as long as you didn't step on points and lengthen the match, you could keep on fighting without downside. Now with the campaign and leaderboard, this is no longer the case. Every death in a lopsided match helps the opposition and hurts yourself.
  • Options
    dllindsey12dllindsey12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    you guys dont understand....when people are still fighting trying to win...and that one person...or two perhaps just afks at the campfire..nothing said..no "brb a sec" nothing absolutely said it hurts the team badly. people expect others to help but then they are no where to be found and it results in a lose. ive experienced this all too many times and its bull.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    you guys dont understand....when people are still fighting trying to win...and that one person...or two perhaps just afks at the campfire..nothing said..no "brb a sec" nothing absolutely said it hurts the team badly. people expect others to help but then they are no where to be found and it results in a lose. ive experienced this all too many times and its bull.

yet people still get upset at an afker when there are 1-2 leavers.

to me it sounds like some people just don't want to die alone
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »

Never mind what people enjoy, this game turns into farming for rough ad pretty quickly. It just so happens that queuing for a pvp match while painful is still easier to do than dungeons which can be a huge waste of time just trying to organize. Skirmishes would obviously be the equal effort avenue that should grant an equal amount of ad, but it doesn't, so people might end up wasting your time while they troll your pvp match. Even if you barely tried in pve, you could still win, as there is no equivalent in pve to a decked out gwf powered by mastercard kicking your head in effortlessly, and not just you, but your entire time.

I’ve had fun with pvp in other games, in fact I’ve taken them seriously in other games, but neverwinter is not one of them.
    Strange that in PVE, due to parties, one can get BOOTED if afk/non collaborative, while (oh god spare us!) something along the lines CANNOT be implemented for PvP, and for major reasons.

You cannot get around the fact that literally the worst people on the planet focus on pvp, these hateful try-hards that turn chat toxic the minute they start to lose. Hell, I was on the winning team once, obviously we had them 3 capped the entire match, and my team was yelling at the losing team for being scrubs, it was beyond stupid. They had zero chance from the minute the match started and yet people on my team still felt the need to taunt. Don’t get me wrong, I do agree that it’s not especially fair to disallow kicking in pvp, but there is no evidence that it wouldn't be abused massively. People would end up getting kicked just for having a lower gear score, or because some try-hard was mad about losing.

If only knowing your class was all that was required to do well in this game.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You cannot get around the fact that literally the worst people on the planet focus on pvp, these hateful try-hards that turn chat toxic the minute they start to lose. Hell, I was on the winning team once, obviously we had them 3 capped the entire match, and my team was yelling at the losing team for being scrubs, it was beyond stupid. They had zero chance from the minute the match started and yet people on my team still felt the need to taunt. Don’t get me wrong, I do agree that it’s not especially fair to disallow kicking in pvp, but there is no evidence that it wouldn't be abused massively. People would end up getting kicked just for having a lower gear score, or because some try-hard was mad about losing.

If only knowing your class was all that was required to do well in this game.

If you read my post in the previous page you'd know my answer to afkers :D
    Summng it up: 1-2 mins afk ->kick-> bonus at the team to close the gap of the loss of a team mate (still to be defined of course, wether it could be raising defences or attack or both)

I agree on the fact that kickvoting in pvp is not something anyone should want, for their own sake.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    what if they had to go take a peew

That's irrelevant. I think the OP is talking about people who just refuse to play, for childish, immature, juvenile and stupid reasons.

I completely agree with him. I noted the names and handles of four of these idiots in two days and was going to post them on this Forum, to warn every one else, but we are not allowed to NAME AND SHAME other members.

I figured the best punishment would be if everyone blocked and ignored them, they'd have to try their hand at playing PvP solo - that is assuming that IGNORED players NEVER get teamed with you EVER again.

One particular jerk CW just decided to play air guitar for the whole match because someone disobeyed his command to stay off 1. He was not even the Party Leader, he had the lowest GS and the REALLY ANNOYING thing was that we were WINNING - because a stealthed TR stood on 1 a few times to stop the red team scoring.

And even though this complete buffon played air guitar throughout the last 80% of the match, we STILL almost won.

But we did not win. We lost, because we had a juvenile CW with no CC or self-control who deliberately threw the match away.

That is the worst kind of troll in a game like this.

Other times our time has just been wasted because a player or two got killed quickly, so they retired from the match and refused to continue.

PvP is a nasty, hostile enough environment as it is. I certainly do not want these tools in my team EVER again.

So, ALL ignored players NEVER get teamed with you for ANYTHING, and if someone is AFK for most of the match, they cannot join ANY queue for TEN DAYS. This should be account-wide, not character.

That'll stop the little wasters. >:

And if anyone disconnects, we can all quit without penalty and re-queue for a full team. That is allowed already if a glitch means we enter the arena with only four layers.

~
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    What you want is that everyone not rising to your very personal unwritten undocumented rules of engagement having his or her account banned.
    And all that just because there are people out there that can not find other to join them in a team to enter PvP, that have the same high or low level of "morality"?

i don't believe i ever said i want people banned. if you're going to enter a pvp match, commit to it. you can't expect to win every match and you can't expect to be grouped with great players all the time. all you can do is do your best. if you're not going to do that, then don't ruin it for other people that want to play.

as for there being an afk penalty, can you point to the announcement stating that implementation?
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Today, I had three matches where one or two players were artificially lengthen the match although everyone else had stopped fighting and 1v1'd here and there because it made sense for various reasons.

These players were in the minority and indeed ruining it for everyone else who wanted to get through with the encounter asap. To pick up your flawed logic, I guess there should be a penalty for needlessly keep on fighting I assume?

Commit to a match means different things to different people. You're trying to impose your definition of commitment on other players. That's selfish. You're right with one point though: You can't expect to be grouped with equally minded players all the time. Getting five players that just want to PVP, win or lose, is extremely rare in a PUG setting. I know it because I have chars with which I queue up to simple fight a bit.

But then I have chars that want max glory rewards. So I know the other side and wouldn't blame anyone even if I have other intentions with the toon I'm currently on.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    when a match is broken because either someone quits or someone afks or if one group gives up and wants to 1v1, this is not what is intended. afk penalties are only part of the solution. providing custom matches could alleviate some of the problems but just like there are still leavers despite the implementation of a leaver penalty, there will always be afkers. but implementing a penalty would reduce the number of times it happens in normal matches.

if your group has to manipulate the game to play the way you want to play, then you're still ruining it for other people that expect to play the way the game was designed.
  • Options
    dllindsey12dllindsey12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Today, I had three matches where one or two players were artificially lengthen the match although everyone else had stopped fighting and 1v1'd here and there because it made sense for various reasons.

These players were in the minority and indeed ruining it for everyone else who wanted to get through with the encounter asap. To pick up your flawed logic, I guess there should be a penalty for needlessly keep on fighting I assume?

Commit to a match means different things to different people. You're trying to impose your definition of commitment on other players. That's selfish. You're right with one point though: You can't expect to be grouped with equally minded players all the time. Getting five players that just want to PVP, win or lose, is extremely rare in a PUG setting. I know it because I have chars with which I queue up to simple fight a bit.

But then I have chars that want max glory rewards. So I know the other side and wouldn't blame anyone even if I have other intentions with the toon I'm currently on.

you do realize that to get any type of reward for a domination match it means you actually have to try? otherwise you get no exp or glory period.
  • Options
    slintashslintash Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    when a match is broken because either someone quits or someone afks or if one group gives up and wants to 1v1, this is not what is intended. afk penalties are only part of the solution. providing custom matches could alleviate some of the problems but just like there are still leavers despite the implementation of a leaver penalty, there will always be afkers. but implementing a penalty would reduce the number of times it happens in normal matches.

Except you're looking at the effect, not the cause, of games being "ruined". You're not addressing why people leave, just that they do and that it ruins the game for you.

People leave because they're premades that faceroll pugs.
    People leave because they have to fight a 18k GS player when they're 9k GS.
    People leave because they end up in a team that doesn't listen and mindlessly dies.
    People leave because they just feel like it.

People afk because they get an important call, the door, need to run to the toliet, or other life events.
    People afk because of the leaver rule, so instead they sit around and wait instead of losing 30 minutes of game time.
    People afk so they can just get the basic glory and farm glory faster.
    People afk because you either mistreated them as your teammate, or they just feel like trolling you.

How do the punishments both implemented and suggested address why people leave/afk in the slightest? Anyone that wants to leave in a negative fashion is still going to leave regardless of what punishment you put in place, where as someone that wants to leave because their team has lost and they're no longer having fun is forced to sit for the rest of the match for something they never did wrong in the first place.
    if your group has to manipulate the game to play the way you want to play, then you're still ruining it for other people that expect to play the way the game was designed.

Except you do not get to dictate how the game is played. The only rules for PvP Domination is a team of 5 vs a team of 5, you capture points until one team gets to 1000. That's about it, the rest is up to the players within the game itself. If the group wants to 1v1, they can 1v1. Some people hate fighting permas, some people hate fighting GWFs, but that doesn't mean they'll just magically disappear from the game. Not ever player is going to want to play the exact same way with the exact same classes with the exact same ethics and with the exact same goals, so stop trying to force players to all follow one line of thinking.
    you do realize that to get any type of reward for a domination match it means you actually have to try? otherwise you get no exp or glory period.

You only need to cap 2 nodes (600 points) to get bare minimum rewards, win or loss. Sometimes people will do this and then afk to farm glory, or just to turn in the daily faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Except you do not get to dictate how the game is played. The only rules for PvP Domination is a team of 5 vs a team of 5, you capture points until one team gets to 1000. That's about it, the rest is up to the players within the game itself. If the group wants to 1v1, they can 1v1. Some people hate fighting permas, some people hate fighting GWFs, but that doesn't mean they'll just magically disappear from the game. Not ever player is going to want to play the exact same way with the exact same classes with the exact same ethics and with the exact same goals, so stop trying to force players to all follow one line of thinking.

You only need to cap 2 nodes (600 points) to get bare minimum rewards, win or loss. Sometimes people will do this and then afk to farm glory, or just to turn in the daily faster.

^this.....so much

there are no written rules and all everyone does is press queue

if pressing queue means a commitment must be made then you might want to look at castle never exploits and dungeon hijacking 1st.
  • Options
    qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i don't believe i ever said i want people banned. if you're going to enter a pvp match, commit to it. you can't expect to win every match and you can't expect to be grouped with great players all the time. all you can do is do your best. if you're not going to do that, then don't ruin it for other people that want to play.

as for there being an afk penalty, can you point to the announcement stating that implementation?
    No, you did not explicitly say that you want people banned. But your posts suggest that you prefer other people being penalized over making your own team or supporting the idea of forming a team.

Your continuous fighting a lost match ruins the game for me. It's just opinions. Your preference is not equal to mine. But you seem to have a problem with the grasp of other persons having opinions that do not match yours. No problem! Just do not expect everyone else to have the same commitment rules you apply to yourself, except if you like wallowing in disappointment.

If you AFK for 1 or 2 minutes you get kicked from the current match in progress and the leaver penalty is applied. Happened to me in GG PvP a few weeks ago when I had to answer the door. The system seems to treat the AFK kicking in the same way that the "leave party" button pushers are treated.

Now I know that I should just have closed the client, and logged back in after 3 minutes.
    Not only would I have received the glory&coins, but also no leaver penalty.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    No, you did not explicitly say that you want people banned. But your posts suggest that you prefer other people being penalized over making your own team or supporting the idea of forming a team.

Your continuous fighting a lost match ruins the game for me. It's just opinions. Your preference is not equal to mine. But you seem to have a problem with the grasp of other persons having opinions that do not match yours. No problem! Just do not expect everyone else to have the same commitment rules you apply to yourself, except if you like wallowing in disappointment.

If you AFK for 1 or 2 minutes you get kicked from the current match in progress and the leaver penalty is applied. Happened to me in GG PvP a few weeks ago when I had to answer the door. The system seems to treat the AFK kicking in the same way that the "leave party" button pushers are treated.

Now I know that I should just have closed the client, and logged back in after 3 minutes.
    Not only would I have received the glory&coins, but also no leaver penalty.

Or you want to say that "their continued effort to finish the dungeon ruins your experience"? eh buddy?

The only thing I read here is "I want whatever I want, who cares if I ruin the game experience for others, MY PERSONAL FUN comes first and there are NO SPECIFIC RULES".
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The only thing I read here is "I want whatever I want, who cares if I ruin the game experience for others, MY PERSONAL FUN comes first and there are NO SPECIFIC RULES
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    Now, if you would be so nice and try to apply this utterance to yourself you might find out that not YOUR RULEZ are the ONLY AND BEST AND ABSULUTE ones.

You say "I want a good PvP experience. If you do not have 13k+ GS, you destroy my experience. If you don't go to middle, you destroy my experience. If you fight off node, you destroy my experience. If you don't jump from spawn to let yourself be slaughtered by <insert PvP guild name> you destroy my experience. If you don't keep fighting at 600:10 you destroy my experience. If you are not as I like you to be, you destroy my experience"
    Have you ever considered that this attitude might offend others who do not share it?
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014

So I'm in a match and we get one DC, at which point three other people decide to sit at the campfire. I am now left with the choice of either fighting 1v5, leaving and eating the leavers penalty, or sitting at the campfire and eating the new AFK penalty.

How is that fair? How will that keep people playing PvP. And BTW I have had many similar such situations in PuG PvP.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You only need to cap 2 nodes (600 points) to get bare minimum rewards

That may seem low but with the current queue system the proportion of 1000 to less-than-50 results is not marginal at all. The pairings are so unbalanced that we've all seen 5 ppl immediately going b1 in the hope that having the advantage of numbers they would at least secure 300 points and get all-killed by one who rushes to b3 after noticing that no opposition is coming at b2.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And again I am amazed why so many players complain.
    They are experienced, they know what can happen and they remember what has happened,
    yet they press the "queue for PvP Domination" button again while being solo.

What keeps you from going to PE and asking in the LFG channel
    lf4m PvP

EVERYTHING you can get there is better than the players assigned by random to you.
    I just don't get it why you can not learn from past experiences.

Yes, it is possible to queue solo.
    Yes, it is possible to sit at the campfire after 600 points and still get 125 glory.

Are you forced to either of it?
    No.
    Could you prevent this experience but still play PvP domination?
    Yes.

What might it need to experience a satisfactory PvP that is to your liking?
    Maybe YOU can find out what YOU can do to have the experience from this game that YOU want, not
    * all other players have to adapt to your morale
    * the dev's by programming a campfiresitterpushmechanism which you soooooo much desire
    * the software architects by inventing new algorithms that gives no points to all who do not go to middle first
    * the n**b that enters PvP without all R7 and all purple

You have to tools available, you would just have to use them.
This discussion has been closed.