test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Based Foundry Contest

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Foundry
I was thinking it might be interesting to have a Community Based Foundry Contest.

Here's my rough concept at the moment...

_____'s brother has been kidnapped. You must investigate the trail, find the kidnappers, and rescue the brother.

Maximum number of entries: 8

Requirements:
  • Average time must be LESS than 14 minutes (so NOT daily eligible!)
  • Must include ___________ foundry map for basis
  • No enemy mobs may use their "default" costume
  • No existing quests eligible - must be created for contest

Winning Breakdown:
  • 100,000AD for Overall
  • 30,000AD for Visuals
  • 20,000AD for Lore/Story

I'd be willing to provide the 75,000AD for the prize money (unless others want to contribute as well).

Thoughts, suggestions, kibitzes, complaints, discussion, ideas, etc?

(I reached out to Akromatic to see if we can use a "known" PC's "brother")

Suggested Themes/Plots

(A Neverwinter NPC)'s brother has been kidnapped, find and rescue

Search and Rescue (more open theme)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    I was thinking it might be interesting to have a Community Based Foundry Contest.

Here's my rough concept at the moment...

_____'s brother has been kidnapped. You must investigate the trail, find the kidnappers, and rescue the brother.

Requirements:
    • Average time must be LESS than 14 minutes (so NOT daily eligible!)
    • Must include ___________ foundry map for basis
    • No enemy mobs may use their "default" costume

Winning Breakdown:
    • 50,000AD for overall highest review rating
    • 15,000AD for highest Eventful tag total
    • 10,000AD for highest Story Focus (or Lore?) tag total

I'd be willing to provide the 75,000AD for the prize money (unless others want to contribute as well).

Thoughts, suggestions, kibitzes, complaints, discussion, ideas, etc?

(I reached out to Akromatic to see if we can use a "known" PC's "brother")

I'd rather a minimum time, of say half-hour and I'm not so keen on on the theme, I would like a more general idea, I have another Dwarven quest I'd like to make. Also, in my mind the maps should all be custom built with a decent time frame. A month at least.
    I would suggest a judging panel rather than plays. perhaps even a vote system with each entry getting three votes. The reason being well known authors would have an advantage.

Whatever you decide I will give you all my AD as the prize money, last time I looked it was about 500k. I say this simply because I don't use them. I offer this whatever you decide for the entry requirements. My suggestions are just suggestions.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I like the idea of the contest, but why make it not eligible for the daily? I think a bit over 15 mins is a better time, unless there's a specific reason you don't want them to be eligible.
    Also, I'd like more general topics too, like drawven, forest related, must include a city from the DnD lore, etc.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    I would suggest a judging panel rather than plays. perhaps even a vote system with each entry getting three votes. The reason being well known authors would have an advantage.

This. We all know how fickle user reviews can be. You can make the most beautiful maps and interesting story and the regular players will downgrade you for "too much stuff to read".

I'm also voting for a themed quest instead of specific plot. Less then 15 minutes is fine with me, making a micro-quest also requires some skill.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    I'd rather a minimum time, of say half-hour and I'm not so keen on on the theme, I would like a more general idea, I have another Dwarven quest I'd like to make. Also, in my mind the maps should all be custom built with a decent time frame. A month at least.

Whatever you decide I will give you all my AD as the prize money, last time I looked it was about 500k. I say this simply because I don't use them. I offer this whatever you decide for the entry requirements. My suggestions are just suggestions.

I'm really partial to forcing it to NOT being "daily eligible" since that is one of the horrible things inflicted on the foundry. I think it accomplishes a few things...a three finger salute to the "daily" rubbish, and forces authors to really focus on a short, concise story, as well as making it easier to populate the environment, visuals, details, effects, etc. I know as an actual software developer I've seen some truly incredible programs that were contest limited to a certain size, etc.

With that in mind, I think a simple find the kidnappers, rescue the victim can be short, exciting and concise. But, I'm definitely open to other "time-limited" themes.

And thanks for the AD support -- I don't think we should go all out initially, maybe if you just match me, we bump it to say 100,000AD winner, 30,000AD Eventful winner, 20,000AD story/lore winner.

That opens up the question -- winners based on reviews by all reviewers, or do we form a panel of judges? If we were to do a panel of judges -- what's the maximum number of "entrants" to accept? Judges would have to commit to playing/voting on every entrant, right?
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    That opens up the question -- winners based on reviews by all reviewers, or do we form a panel of judges? If we were to do a panel of judges -- what's the maximum number of "entrants" to accept? Judges would have to commit to playing/voting on every entrant, right?
    I say judges, and yes, they should commit to playing all of them before voting. You can't judge them fairly if you haven't even seen some of the entries. The one you didn't play might have been the best one.

As far as who can vote, I'd say no maximum, but judges have to sign up first, which can be as simple as "I want to be a judge."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Am I allowed to be a judge and enter a quest to participate? If so, I'll be a judge, if not, I'll just get started with making my entry when the foundry comes back up.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Am I allowed to be a judge and enter a quest to participate? If so, I'll be a judge, if not, I'll just get started with making my entry when the foundry comes back up.

I don't think that would work - I'd say a judge would not be able to vote for their own quest, but that that would reduce the total votes for that judges entry. Perhaps if winners were based on average vote that would work okay? Being an avid foundry fanatic, I would probably want to enter and be a judge as well, so I can see the appeal.

Is average vote score enough to allow judge-entrants? Discuss. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2014

This is my thinking too. Why I mentioned the idea of an entry buys you three votes, one for 1st place, one for 2nd and one for 3rd. This makes it fair as obviously you can't vote for your own. It also keeps it within the community, but also allows for possibly new authors.

Edit: If there was a tie I'm sure we could ask someone to have the final say based on the tie.

I can't promise that I will finish every quest, but I would certainly try to do so.
    I'm really partial to forcing it to NOT being "daily eligible" since that is one of the horrible things inflicted on the foundry. I think it accomplishes a few things...a three finger salute to the "daily" rubbish, and forces authors to really focus on a short, concise story, as well as making it easier to populate the environment, visuals, details, effects, etc. I know as an actual software developer I've seen some truly incredible programs that were contest limited to a certain size, etc.

With that in mind, I think a simple find the kidnappers, rescue the victim can be short, exciting and concise. But, I'm definitely open to other "time-limited" themes.

And thanks for the AD support -- I don't think we should go all out initially, maybe if you just match me, we bump it to say 100,000AD winner, 30,000AD Eventful winner, 20,000AD story/lore winner.

I'm not to bothered about the time and it's your idea so I'm happy to go along with that. With the theme maybe just a simple 'Search & Rescue' then. It's almost what you have said, but a little more open to interpretation.

I'm happy to match you with the AD, like I said even when I was more active it was wasted and almost all of it is from tips anyway.
  • Options
    klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmm..this sounds interesting.

I'll participate if the foundry is accessible for me by then.

I would offer to help with the reward but I'm kinda new and I think I only got about 150k AD on me so all I can offer is participation.

EDIT: I think I can offer 30k AD. It's not a lot but I still need my AD to get some items I need.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hmm..this sounds interesting.

I'll participate if the foundry is accessible for me by then.

I would offer to help with the reward but I'm kinda new and I think I only got about 150k AD on me so all I can offer is participation.

EDIT: I think I can offer 30k AD. It's not a lot but I still need my AD to get some items I need.

If you win you will nearly be able to afford a bag :P

Don't worry about the accessibility, we are all in the same boat.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think if we keep the quests under 15 minutes then the judges MUST play all entries. Obviously, you can't enter your own quest.

I would love to take part in this and under 15 minutes would also work out well for me, personally.

It would be great if the entires were not judged by grammar/typos, as not everyone is a native English speaker - I know I might not be able to get a beta-tester in time (of course, I am not saying that it's okay if someone has a typo on top of a typo in every dialogue line)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I've updated the first post with a few changes...

Maximum quest entrants: 8

Requirements added

Winning Breakdown:
    • 100,000AD for Overall
    • 30,000AD for Visuals

Open Issues
    • Voting - can we make it so a judge can also enter?
    • More themes/plots
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Requirements added

Winning Breakdown:
    • 100,000AD for Overall
    • 30,000AD for Visuals

Open Issues
    • More themes/plots

Voting: I can't think of a way to do it fairly at the moment, but I would definitely like to allow this if possible.

More themes/plots: Lets keep the current one for the first event.

Now I just wish the foundry would come up so I could get started.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I'd say the contest doesn't have to specify who you are rescuing from what, but for the purposes of a contest, having "Search and Rescue" as the theme is a good framework. For purposes of being able to judge them, I like the idea of keeping them short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Why the limit? I know I'll want to take part in the contest, but I am not 100% sure I'll get my quest done before deadline (my real life is hectic like whoa), so I wouldn't want to reserve myself a spot and resign too late for someone else to jump in.
    Winning Breakdown:
    100,000AD for Overall
    30,000AD for Visuals
    20,000AD for Lore/Story
    I like the categories, but that means someone can win two prizes, if they make a good story with awesome visuals and it gets voted as the best overall?
    Open Issues
    This. I would love to both take part and be a judge. Maybe a public judging?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    eskarine wrote: »
    Why the limit? I know I'll want to take part in the contest, but I am not 100% sure I'll get my quest done before deadline (my real life is hectic like whoa), so I wouldn't want to reserve myself a spot and resign too late for someone else to jump in.

If we have a set of dedicated judges, they need to evaluate each entry - at 14min/entry x 8 is just under 2 hours of commitment.
    I think it would likely be the first 8 submitted before the deadline, not necessarily reserved. So, maybe on the deadline we open a topic for submissions - and the first "n" submissions are the entries.
    I like the categories, but that means someone can win two prizes, if they make a good story with awesome visuals and it gets voted as the best overall?

I think we rule that you can only win one category and we select overall, then visual, then story. That way we ensure we have 3 different winners. We could probably provide all 3 averages so people can see how well they did in the other categories as well.
    This. I would love to both take part and be a judge. Maybe a public judging?

I think a more formalized judging where we have some number of judges committed to evaluating ALL entries, as opposed to public where it'd be more hit or miss, and as someone mentioned, more popular authors might get more public votes/plays. So, I'm leaning towards a set panel of judges, with perhaps an alternate or two if any judge needs to drop out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If we have a set of dedicated judges, they need to evaluate each entry - at 14min/entry x 8 is just under 2 hours of commitment.
    I think it would likely be the first 8 submitted before the deadline, not necessarily reserved. So, maybe on the deadline we open a topic for submissions - and the first "n" submissions are the entries.
    I'm sorry, I'm just not sure that's a good idea. In theory, that works fine, but that can actually mean that someone who worked hard on their quest can be screwed because they are posting too late for a good reason - work, time zone difference, etc.

Either way, I just think it shouldn't matter how many entries there are - if you give judges enough time they can evaluate everything. I know I'm always taking way longer then estimated time when I am testing foundries - running around, looking at everything, testing for map breaks and taking notes. I think we should all agree that if someone wants to be a judge, then they need to commit their time to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm sorry, I'm just not sure that's a good idea. In theory, that works fine, but that can actually mean that someone who worked hard on their quest can be screwed because they are posting too late for a good reason - work, time zone difference, etc.

Either way, I just think it shouldn't matter how many entries there are - if you give judges enough time they can evaluate everything. I know I'm always taking way longer then estimated time when I am testing foundries - running around, looking at everything, testing for map breaks and taking notes. I think we should all agree that if someone wants to be a judge, then they need to commit their time to it.

Yeah, you're probably right. Thinking back to the "official" foundry contests there wasn't huge number of entries. I guess if we just have a deadline for submissions, that should be good enough. If we were to get some enormous number of submissions, we can figure out what to do in that case. I'm probably overthinking it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, you're probably right. Thinking back to the "official" foundry contests there wasn't huge number of entries. I guess if we just have a deadline for submissions, that should be good enough. If we were to get some enormous number of submissions, we can figure out what to do in that case. I'm probably overthinking it.

Indeed, I think you will be lucky to get 8, but you never know. What time limit are you thinking? I think 4 weeks to create and 4 weeks to judge. It gives plenty of time and it may build up momentum. I do think maybe there should be a limit though based on a first come, first serve basis. Just in case.

Another idea instead of judges is to just let anyone and everyone vote by rating every quest. The idea being that to vote you must rate all of the quests with a 1-5 star rating and write it in the form of a list with your top three in the forum competition thread. Only votes that rate every quest will be counted. The advantage of this would be that players could become involved if they do so choose which would be nice if they did.

If you have a panel then realistically they shouldn't enter, any volunteers? I know I want to enter so that counts me out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yep - I'm leaning towards starting June 1st and submissions required by July 1st. That gives four solid weekends. Then Judging July 1st through August 1st.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Judging for an entire month? That seems like a bit much.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    4 weeks to create is enough, I think, but 4 weeks to judge might be too much. I would say a week or two max, with possibility of extension if there are a lot of entries (which I don't think will happen).

It would be cool if we could get contests like this every 2-3 months or so. Maybe it would motivate people to play/create more. If the idea kicks off, maybe there could be a 'best new' category, for people who would be creating their first quest ever? We all know how hard it is to start out, and newbies verus pros... well, those are a bit uneven odds.

Either way, even without AD incentive this is a very cool idea. The winners will get bragging rights :D And maybe, just maybe, it would be a slightly better chance to be featured later on (that is, assuming, that the contest will become a 'thing' that happens every now and then).
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    4 weeks to create for me would not be enough time :( I'm too busy at my normal job to be able to participate in something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    4 weeks to create for me would not be enough time :( I'm too busy at my normal job to be able to participate in something like that.

Remember, it would be for a LESS than 15 minute quest. But, if four weeks is too short, what is too long? If I recall the Tower District contest, I thought it was four weeks, and then got bumped an additional two due to a couple of days downtime.
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    6 Weeks to build, 2 Weeks to judge?
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    6 weeks should be sufficient I would think, it takes that long just to make sure it's quality (conceptually, story, and environment wise), even if it's for only for 15 min.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's nice to see the NW Foundry community organizing to do something positive and fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    6 weeks should be sufficient I would think, it takes that long just to make sure it's quality (conceptually, story, and environment wise), even if it's for only for 15 min.

Oh no, we don't stand a chance if apocrs1980 is entering :p

Six and Two weeks is fine by me and if it means more people entering then all the better. I'm working on the assumption that it can be any length so longs as it is less than 15 mins, to avoid the daily.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am in favor of making it between 15 and 30 minutes to qualify for daily to help eliminate all those "grind for review/ tips and XP/ gold" quickie Foundries that really no effort was put into in thought or time creation.

Making a foundry "click on chest go to next quest" could CLAIM to have the theme of this contest the same as a "mass grind" Foundry could. If it's going to be a real contest it should require effort.

My second point I might make is make the maximum number of entries be TWO. This will help judges ( or reviewers, or whatever) cut down on time of the entries to go through, and will make the Foundry Authors really think about what they want to do for the contest.

I totally agree no previous Foundries should be eligible for contest. They should be published after start of contest.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I am in favor of making it between 15 and 30 minutes to qualify for daily to help eliminate all those "grind for review/ tips and XP/ gold" quickie Foundries that really no effort was put into in thought or time creation.

Making a foundry "click on chest go to next quest" could CLAIM to have the theme of this contest the same as a "mass grind" Foundry could. If it's going to be a real contest it should require effort.

My second point I might make is make the maximum number of entries be TWO. This will help judges ( or reviewers, or whatever) cut down on time of the entries to go through, and will make the Foundry Authors really think about what they want to do for the contest.

I totally agree no previous Foundries should be eligible for contest. They should be published after start of contest.

Definitely going to be LESS than 15 minutes specifically to prevent dailies.
    (Although, nothing preventing the author from extending the quest after the contest)

Maximum entries is 1 entry per author. I was contemplating a maximum total number of entries, but I don't think we need to -- we probably won't get too many entries for the judges to go through.
This discussion has been closed.