What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Free Respec?

Comments

• Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Major class changes/updates require a free respec given by the devs. It matters not if this is how Deep Gash for example should have worked, what matters is that one feat goes from hero to zero so yeah dont play dumb Cryptic and grant those tokens to both HRs and GWFs already.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tornnomar wrote: »
    The good news is that I have had my quest to change between melee and ranged restarted on all of my characters, just not on the actual character that can change between melee and ranged!

I'm not the only one then
  • Options
    gwassalorgwassalor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    I think there are two reasons behind:

1. Devs think that introduced changes did not make any existing character significantly weaker, hence they do (edit) not (/edit) feel morally obliged to give free respec token to compensate

2. Because of the fact that GWFs have been OP so much for so long, they are probably by far the largest population of characters, especially in the top tier where players carefully mini-max their build. So they expect a business from these guys buying their respec tokens which they are not willing to write-off.
  • Options
    froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I've been itching to respec my HR for almost 2 weeks now. Each day thinking that I will get a free respec when module 3 hits so don't waste your AD!

Quite a surprise that we didn't get one. Not only did they nerf some things to death, they also buffed a few things that I didn't invest points into before. And of course, a new paragon path. I'll be damned if I fork up the money to respec. I've waited this long I will surely wait until they give me a free one.
  • Options
    masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All I wanted was a respec token, is that to much to ask for?
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    masizin777 wrote: »
    All I wanted was a respec token, is that to much to ask for?

Evidently it is as far as these cheapskates are concerned... :mad:
  • Options
    bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No courtesy to customers at all.
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A free respec is the minimum. Releasing a new mod without a free respec is like slapping the players in the face. The possibility that all the nerfs and changes are not completed yet and they srill wait before giving the free respec, is also puzzling. No ETA, nothing.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I agree it sets a really bad precedent. If they're going to change classes and then charge you to be effective, that's pretty bad.

These changes make sense (making GWF not be able to be super tank + super DPS, and adding a new paragon for a class is always welcome), but it's a fine line.

At this point though I just want my pack sent to my mail so I can get my respec done and properly try out the new paragon. I ended up forking over another 10 bucks (I swear I've spent more on this "free" MMO than I have on like 10 pay-to-play ones I've played lol...) because the pack is a good deal all told and zen is so high I can get good AD for it if I want, plus I probably just like this game way too much. And since there's a respec in the pack I can justify it to myself that I'm not paying for a respec, I'm paying for the zen to do what I want with and the respec is coming with it.

It's a shame they went this way though because it's really bringing a sour taste to what, to me, is a great mod, and bodes ill for things to come.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    froszzt wrote: »
    I've been itching to respec my HR for almost 2 weeks now. Each day thinking that I will get a free respec when module 3 hits so don't waste your AD!

Quite a surprise that we didn't get one. Not only did they nerf some things to death, they also buffed a few things that I didn't invest points into before. And of course, a new paragon path. I'll be damned if I fork up the money to respec. I've waited this long I will surely wait until they give me a free one.

The way they have it set up with this pack, it's "sort of free". If you pay 5 bucks, you get 500 zen. That's standard and everyone will agree is in no way a ripoff.

But you also get free a respec along with a bunch of other stuff (some of which is actually good like the companion- proning companion in pvp, yes please) and you can use the 500 zen for what you want or just turn it into ~250k AD (you'll literally NEVER get as much AD for selling zen as you can right now).

If it wasn't for the principle of changing a class then requiring you to pay to play it with the new stuff, then 5 bucks for all you get for it is actually an amazing deal.

A companion very similar to the one that comes in the pack (skeletal dog- rare drop from VT) goes for well over 400k AD in the AH- usually over a million AD actually but some people are probably trying to unload their's now that there's going to be this similar one available.

So, the way I'm approaching it is trying to ignore the respec aspect of it and think of it as just buying zen for the sake of buying zen, which I might've done anyway, and I'm getting some great free stuff with it which happens to include a respec.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    While some of this thread is the usual MMO rage hyperbole ("disgusting" etc.), I do agree with the general thrust of it.

So far, mod 3 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth- with the lack of respecs, the cash grab tool sales, the need for injury kits in world pvp (really?) last but not least the incredible amount of bugs which were reported repeatedly in preview which are still live.. see also the hunter stance quest spam, and numerous quest NPC bugs.

While it looks like there's some interesting new stuff there (and Yetis look surprisingly evil), the whole thing is buggy, unfinished and is screaming for your money in a much less attractive way than previously.

Neverwinter is far from the only game in town. Speaking as a heavy gamer, who spends money on the hobby, I like to have a main game "on the go", I am not averse to dropping some money to support it, and am by preference a long-term player. However, the other side of the deal is that the game has to not be shoddy, greedy and unpleasant in the way in which it comports itself.

It is written that you should "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". I am hoping that this is the case here. Maybe in a week or so, they will have emergency patched most of the new horrid bugs, added healer NPCs to Icewind Pass a la GG, and given out respecs. However, I would suggest that we don't hold our collective breath.
  • Options
    klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah 5 american dollars, because dollar its the coin we all use in all over the world and of course in every single part of the world the exchange is 1US = 1 x(local coin), and i being sarcastic about this, i got to pay 30$ (local currency) to get your awesome 5 US$, and we are missing the point here, as someone says here, what if the changes affect a lot of your characters...
    This is supossed to be a free game, and dont come to me with "You can still get zen with astral diamonds so is still free" because thas totally wrong, unless you think that my time is not worth anything by the way, and i remember how they give away free coins in many other lesser complicated and changing situations so, why not this time...?
    PD: Im forgetting the plus IVA we have to pay in other country's in addition to the the unfavorable exchange currency
    This is simply wrong, you can defend your thoughts all you want and this will still being wrong...
    Anyway its not the first time that "Buggers & Glitchers Neverworking Shadowmantle" pissed off the people with their actions

All I did was offer an alternative for people looking to get a retraining token for a cheaper price than USD $10. See, I put the "USD" there now. Happy now?

Geez..

I'm not American either. I'm Singaporean so it's SGD $6.24 (excluding transaction cost for conversion by Paypal or the bank) for me and I major in Economics so I seriously don't need someone telling me about exchange rate and transaction costs. If you can't afford or aren't willing to fork out USD $5 then don't buy it.

The only way any company will change their policy towards something is if it hurts their profits directly or indirectly. So, even if many people are not happy with the lack of free respec, as long as they are still earning (majority still buying ZEN), they wouldn't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Look at the ZEN/Astral Diamonds market. There's obviously a huge demand for ZEN.

I wasn't even defending the lack of a respec token. I main the GWF and I would be more than happy to get a free respec token for him too. I'm also fully aware of that this respec token being inside a "First Time Buyer"s Pack" along with a lack of free respec token post-mod 3 is a marketing strategy to extract profits.

A Free game doesn't run on players' time, in case you didn't know. So, yes, your time, my time and anybody's time spent on Neverwinter is worth NOTHING to PWE, unless they start putting (non-PWE) advertisements in the game. It is in fact a cost to them since they have to pay the bills to keep the game running. The game runs on money, money made from people BUYING ZEN, not trading ZEN.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "A Free game doesn't run on players' time, in case you didn't know. So, yes, your time, my time and anybody's time spent on Neverwinter is worth NOTHING to PWE, unless they start putting (non-PWE) advertisements in the game. It is in fact a cost to them since they have to pay the bills to keep the game running. The game runs on money, money made from people BUYING ZEN, not trading ZEN. "

Very true, the company has to make money, otherwise none of us will get to enjoy the game much longer. So, as a customer who has spent more than a 100 Euro on this game so far I want only whats right. And a free respec with major changes/updates is right.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The only way any company will change their policy towards something is if it hurts their profits directly or indirectly. So, even if many people are not happy with the lack of free respec, as long as they are still earning (majority still buying ZEN), they wouldn't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Look at the ZEN/Astral Diamonds market. There's obviously a huge demand for ZEN.

To an extent, a new content release brings a temporary population spike, so it'd be hard for them to see if it's hurting until that dies down and longer-term trends emerge. However, if these returning (and in some cases new, but they won't get to IWD for a while) players see a broken, hostile, grabby game, then they will probably be scared away again, which won't help.

Like I say, it might all just be a series of unfortunate mistakes. The opportunity exists for PWE and Cryptic to make this whole drama right, and it's possible they'll do so. We have a newish community manager too- who has been finding his feet and could well have a chance to earn his spurs. Let's see. If they screw it up, they will lose players, of course. That much is clear- it's a competitive market.
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited May 2014
    from what i see the Zen exchange has come to maximum 500 they are not giving anything free..... seems is a money hungry company isnt that much to give a free respec as the new module came....
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    i doubt we will get any reward for free unless u pay something
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    from what i see the Zen exchange has come to maximum 500 they are not giving anything free..... seems is a money hungry company isnt that much to give a free respec as the new module came....

The Zen exchange is player controlled; blame your fellow players for that.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The Zen exchange is player controlled; blame your fellow players for that.

i know that everyone does thats the reason they wont give anything for free too
  • Options
    larsalexander123larsalexander123 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We really need the free respec for F2P players we can't afford it because of the "massive sky rocketing" and no listings of ZAX for now. How are we gonna buy RT's if there's no listing in the ZAX?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A Free game doesn't run on players' time, in case you didn't know. So, yes, your time, my time and anybody's time spent on Neverwinter is worth NOTHING to PWE, unless they start putting (non-PWE) advertisements in the game. It is in fact a cost to them since they have to pay the bills to keep the game running. The game runs on money, money made from people BUYING ZEN, not trading ZEN.

That's true to an extent, however happy f2p players are also, as someone put it in another thread, "great marketing assets". They promote the game through social networks. This promotion in turn brings in people that may actually spend money.

For example, I was brought in by someone on an MMO message board mentioning some aspects of the game that seemed appealing, and I've bought over 100 dollars worth of zen so far. That guy on the message board worked as free advertisement that succeeded in securing (at least) 1 customer. What's probably more valuable than that, though, is that I too make positive posts and threads about the game on social networks and message boards, and might've in turn brought in more people. Meaning the value of the inadvertent marketing done by that original potentially completely free player is exponential.

So I have to disagree that they have no value, and very much disagree that they are a cost. Not to mention that these games aren't any fun without people to play them with. So not only are they marketing assets, but they're also part of the game itself.

It's a fine line between keeping f2p players happy enough to keep playing and enjoying the game, and actually finding ways to get people to fork over money without it seeming blatantly required.

These class changes without a free respec really skirt that line, especially because respecs were given out before for free. It's somewhat lessened by this perhaps ingenious promotion that includes a respec, meaning basically yes you can get a free respec, but you have to pay for it. LOL. The marketing department must've had a hell of a brainstorming session to come up with that one.
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We really need the free respec for F2P players we can't afford it because of the "massive sky rocketing" and no listings of ZAX for now. How are we gonna buy RT's if there's no listing in the ZAX?

Hmmm I thought I remembered someone saying you would always be able to buy at 500. But I guess not.
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just bought 1Z for 500AD with no listings available.
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    so what happens if I do not respec my GWF? I am a sent that has deep gash, but nothing else in the tree. My understand was deep gash (i have not had a chance to look what happened yet) was moved deeper into the tree to prevent my very build, i.e. I have to invest more points in destroyer tree to get deep gash.

So if i do nothing, I get to avoid this 'correction' they actively took to address my sent deep gash splash...

And as someone that has already dropped 500 in the game, i spend 20 a month as if i was subbing as i have for most other mmos i support, I still find the fact that they did not give the toons that 'deserve' a respec one for free. The negative impact it gives the player base far outweighs the few mirco trans this will cause. Force me to pay 5 for something i feel should have come from good business or to follow the previously set precedent and expectations, I may hesitate or stop the next time i reach for my wallet to 'pay my monthy sub'

Add in that this is the first mmo that required the cash based currency to do a respec, already a point of contention (it is a gold thing in both ddo and dcuo for example, where people sometimes respect for a run of a dungeon because the party need it)
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    First, drop the money ego. We're all equal here, and playing that card only ends in flaming.
    Second, I doubt you'll " avoid this 'correction' ". I'm not a GWF, but I'm pretty sure the spot that had deep gash, now contains something else. I'd check if I were you. If it doesn't now, it should soon.

Deep Gash is in the same spot. All the did was make it not crit and not base its damage off of what attack created it. So, now its a flat DoT that will not increase higher than the number it says.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think fair is fair, if all classes got a free respec when their new paragon path was aviable, then the same should happen for the hunter ranger now. Is that the case? I've both heard people saying they got their free respec and others that they didn't.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    magoguitarristamagoguitarrista Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 105
    edited May 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    "A Free game doesn't run on players' time, in case you didn't know. So, yes, your time, my time and anybody's time spent on Neverwinter is worth NOTHING to PWE, unless they start putting (non-PWE) advertisements in the game. It is in fact a cost to them since they have to pay the bills to keep the game running. The game runs on money, money made from people BUYING ZEN, not trading ZEN. "

Very true, the company has to make money, otherwise none of us will get to enjoy the game much longer. So, as a customer who has spent more than a 100 Euro on this game so far I want only whats right. And a free respec with major changes/updates is right.

Its is true game runs on money, but that money come from happy customers, not anger ones... thats all the science you need, there is the formula, Game+happy players = money, Game + people who pays to get a fair service + changes with no a min. consideration= NO MONEY, no money NO GAME, easy...
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I think fair is fair, if all classes got a free respec when their new paragon path was aviable, then the same should happen for the hunter ranger now. Is that the case? I've both heard people saying they got their free respec and others that they didn't.

At this time I do not have a respec on my HR. I checked yesterday after Mod 3 was released and checked again today after the update to Mod 3.

As for some saying they received a respec and some didn't, again this could be easily handled if PWE would just address it.
  • Options
    dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2014
    I completely agree.

First of all let me just state that it is Cryptic's decision and I always appreciate all the little freebies they give us. Now with that said I really like this game and I loved the fact that even though it had a cash shop they still allowed those of us with limited funds to eventually advance. I used to get one to two Coalescent Ward's each week from the wondrous coffer and then they added peridots and out of 10+ characters I have not gotten a single coalescent since then. On top of that I was really hoping for a respec token for my HR since they'd done it in the past with major changes. I work a lot, have a lot of bills, have been in the hospital, had a relative pass away, etc. Basically I have a lot more responsibilities in my life that come before a game. I've probably spent around 100 bucks total on Neverwinter, not a whole lot I know but I do like to support the games I play and if I had more money I'd support it even more. I decided to make my own HR instead of using a cookie cutter build and I totally screwed it up. He's completely ranged and completely useless in pvp which isn't Cryptic's fault.

Since we didn't get a respec token I doubt I'll ever buy one for that character now. I just won't pvp with him. Last time they gave the free respec I ended up buying some more tokens and zen just because those freebies showed me what I was missing out on and I wanted a bit more. Of course I can't always afford to do that but when I can I do and I spend more often after they do stuff like that. They obviously put a lot of hard work and effort into this game and I appreciate that and they deserve to make the money they want to make but I just think that showing your players that it's not always about profit helps to further earn their respect and I can't speak for everyone else but when I feel that a game company respects me then it makes me want to support them even more.

I'm not complaining and Cryptic owes us nothing but it would be really nice to give those players who just can't always afford zen more chances for a free respec (I mean it's not like they put out a major Module every month, once a year or twice a year is quite a while and a free respec after forcing major changes upon the players would be the nice thing to do. A lot of HR's were built around split shot, I'm sure gwf are having the same problem right now). I did really enjoy those free items they gave out that week from the store and thought it was a nice thing to do for everyone. I think things like that will bring in more money in the long run.

Regardless I'm enjoying the new mod. It has a lot of great ideas and some not so great ideas but I'm having fun so good job on that.
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That's true to an extent, however happy f2p players are also, as someone put it in another thread, "great marketing assets". They promote the game through social networks. This promotion in turn brings in people that may actually spend money.

For example, I was brought in by someone on an MMO message board mentioning some aspects of the game that seemed appealing, and I've bought over 100 dollars worth of zen so far. That guy on the message board worked as free advertisement that succeeded in securing (at least) 1 customer. What's probably more valuable than that, though, is that I too make positive posts and threads about the game on social networks and message boards, and might've in turn brought in more people. Meaning the value of the inadvertent marketing done by that original potentially completely free player is exponential.

So I have to disagree that they have no value, and very much disagree that they are a cost. Not to mention that these games aren't any fun without people to play them with. So not only are they marketing assets, but they're also part of the game itself.

It's a fine line between keeping f2p players happy enough to keep playing and enjoying the game, and actually finding ways to get people to fork over money without it seeming blatantly required.

These class changes without a free re-spec really skirt that line, especially because re-specs were given out before for free. It's somewhat lessened by this perhaps ingenious promotion that includes a re-spec, meaning basically yes you can get a free re-spec, but you have to pay for it. LOL. The marketing department must've had a hell of a brainstorming session to come up with that one.

Bravo Hamletswords, well said!

The problem I have is that I had my HR at level 30 when the new MOD 3 was announced. I used the double XP weekend to level him to 60. I leveled Combat to see what it would be like thinking if its not great then I will just re-spec him when the new IWD comes out.

Yes I could have used the preview server, however, I did not want to waste hours of playing time that would be lost actually leveling my HR (I do have a job). While leveling, I used the forums/mmominds, constantly reading up on HR class.

Now I am all Combat class. I WILL NOT BUY a token to re-spec my HR! Cryptic, offered free re-specs when they brought in the new DC tree. I don't know why this situation is any different. My HR is now nothing more than a mule.

You see why we are kind of PO'd at you Cryptic!?! Was there any reason anyone would NOT have thought a free token would be coming?
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain