test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

3rd Boon Requirement

morthos68morthos68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a thought here Arc, Cryptic, whoever... My kid and I both love this game. However, she didn't really care for the Dread Ring Areas or Sharandar, but IS looking forward to this new module. However, don't you think it would have been smart to let people know this requirement ahead of time????? She was freaking stoked and is now completely deflated and will have to wait to go through the motions, over and over and over just so she can play the lvl 60 content she wants.

For God's sake, next time do the right thing and communicate the requirements for playing the module long before it comes out.

--JD

Since it was pointed out below that I am silly for not knowing the requirements, here are the news posts that come through my client, that I read and take note of. Can anyone show me in any of these where it was mentioned the requirement? Honestly, I don't see it. I want to know what I missed and how. I don't come to the forums for good reason and I expect that the same info in the forums would be in these news posts.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5003503-module-3-preview%3A-heroic-encounters (5/12)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002793-module-3-preview%3A-new-artifacts (5/6)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5003313-preview%3A-black-ice-harvesting-and-shaping-profession (5/9)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002603-preview%3A-new-bosses-and-encounters (5/5)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002303-preview%3A-hunter-ranger-paragon-path (5/2)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002193-module-3-preview%3A-black-ice-gear (5/1)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002033-module-3-campaigns-and-pvp-leaderboards (4/30)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5001803-module-3-preview%3A-dungeon-delve-keys (4/28)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5001393-module-3-preview%3A-post-60-advancement (4/25)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3043243-mercenary-contracts-and-account-shared-bank (4/23)
http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3042373-curse-of-icewind-dale-live-on-may-13%2C-2014 (4/17)
Post edited by morthos68 on

Comments

• Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The requirements have been talked and screamed about for the last 2 months. Wake up!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "It is known" This has been discussed since the beginning for mod 3 in the forums as a requirement. As well as in the game news. Sorry you never saw it...but a bit late now.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I dont visit the forums, have no need to. And no, I never saw it in the game news releases anywhere. I even looked back through the posts before coming here and I never saw it then either. Guess being 46 makes you blind and ignorant.
  • Options
    tearsoffeartearsoffear Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    morthos68 wrote: »
    Guess being 46 makes you blind and ignorant.
    I am 42 and knew it.
    God, what is gonna happen to me in those 4 years to come? *fears the future*
  • Options
    sgtknoxvillesgtknoxville Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not a huge fan of it, I hate doing Dread Ring and Sharandar missions. I can't stand repetitiveness and these missions are very repetitive, and they're not fun to do. I knew about it ahead of time but still did not get my boons. I have 2 and about halfway to my 3rd and haven't done any dread ring stuff in about 3-4 days. I don't want to do it.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dont visit the forums, have no need to. And no, I never saw it in the game news releases anywhere. I even looked back through the posts before coming here and I never saw it then either. Guess being 46 makes you blind and ignorant.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3041903-module-3-preview_-caer_konig

A bit of advice on the easiest way: Dread Ring. All you have to do are the daily instances (1 daily) given by the first NPC you need to talk to walking in, which will take ~5min max per day. It takes either 13 or 14 days (don't remember which) which is about how long Sharandar takes as well, but its A LOT more bearable.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @ Midnight - thanks. I will pass it on to her.
    @sgtknoxville - I dont blame you. I only did it because I was bored.. I didn't much care for those modules either. I think if you attain lvl 60 you should be able to play whatever content comes after.
    @cayapp - have adjusted my original post to include news releases back to 4/17 - I still don't see it. Since you knew of this can you pint it out to me?
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @ Midnight - thanks. I will pass it on to her.
    @sgtknoxville - I dont blame you. I only did it because I was bored.. I didn't much care for those modules either. I think if you attain lvl 60 you should be able to play whatever content comes after.
    @cayapp - have adjusted my original post to include news releases back to 4/17 - I still don't see it. Since you knew of this can you pint it out to me?
    In the news post I linked (4/14/2014) is where I can find a mention of it.
    Since Black Ice is such a valuable and profitable resource, it has attracted the attention of many adventurers in Neverwinter. However, only the most experienced and battle-hardened adventurers will be able to contest for and profit from Black Ice. That is why players must have a gear score of at least 10,000 and unlocked a Rank 3 boon from Sharandar or Dread Ring Campaigns to be able to enter Caer-Konig.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Figures... one mention for a month, the only post I missed. I think it says though, if out of 12 posts it was mentioned in one, it wasn't being communicated clearly enough. Like I said, I never really have a reason to come to the forums as I rely on the news posts.

Thanks for telling me which article I missed, I didn't see that link a few moments ago.

--JD
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If ya want news about upcoming stuff and requirements.....it's all laid out in the Preview section.
  • Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2014
    I am 42 and knew it.
    God, what is gonna happen to me in those 4 years to come? *fears the future*
    I'm 48 and knew about it. Hell, I even had fun on the test server.

So, you either end up fine, or end up huffin' and puffin' over old news. :)
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    brazennl wrote: »

And I'm 50 and I knew about it too ;)

Seriously, though....even if you don't care about Sharandar or Dread Ring, it makes sense to get those first 3 boons anyhow...simply because they are useful and make the character stronger. Module 3 will be harder without them.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    valwryn wrote: »
    The requirements have been talked and screamed about for the last 2 months. Wake up!!! :rolleyes:

This right here ^^^
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Others have already mentioned, but I'll reiterate - If you have a level 60 character and 10k gear score all you need to do to unlock the first three boons is the quest Sgt. Knox gives you in the Dread Ring 14 times to get 14 Thayan Ciphers. That quest is either Phantasmal Fortress, Dread Spire, or Death Forge. Those can be completed solo and take ~10 minutes. You'll need some AD, Thayan Scrolls and Vanguard Scripts as well, but you get more than enough of those if you do just a handful of the other quests people in the dread ring give you.

This really is not a high hurdle to clear. It takes a small amount of effort and a small amount of time spread over two weeks and it's a great way to keep bots out of Icewind Dale. If your daughter has already done the dread ring quests enough times to get bored of them, then she likely isn't more than a week away from getting the third boon. Sharandar takes longer to get the third boon, so she can just ignore it all together if it bores her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The majority of people playing this game don't come waste time on the forums. I was merely pointed out that if the module was going to have certain requirements to play, it should have been communicated more in their news posts, than one time in 12. I don't go play on the test server, I don't come to the forums. That shouldn't limit me, you, or anyone else from knowing what is going on. It wouldn't have been a big deal to keep adding 3 lines to the news posts that this would require xxxx.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Others have already mentioned, but I'll reiterate - If you have a level 60 character and 10k gear score all you need to do to unlock the first three boons is the quest Sgt. Knox gives you in the Dread Ring 14 times to get 14 Thayan Ciphers. That quest is either Phantasmal Fortress, Dread Spire, or Death Forge. Those can be completed solo and take ~10 minutes. You'll need some AD, Thayan Scrolls and Vanguard Scripts as well, but you get more than enough of those if you do just a handful of the other quests people in the dread ring give you.

This really is not a high hurdle to clear. It takes a small amount of effort and a small amount of time spread over two weeks and it's a great way to keep bots out of Icewind Dale. If your daughter has already done the dread ring quests enough times to get bored of them, then she likely isn't more than a week away from getting the third boon. Sharandar takes longer to get the third boon, so she can just ignore it all together if it bores her.

I've seen the posts and I appreciate your response. I will let her know.
  • Options
    anjenoyranjenoyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    meh -_- I though it was 3 boons, not rank 3 boon...
  • Options
    tearsoffeartearsoffear Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    brazennl wrote: »
    adinosii wrote: »
    And I'm 50 and I knew about it too ;)
    Seems there is a chance! Thank you! *breath of relief*
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This right here ^^^
    I reached 60 on my TR and grinded for a while in both Dread Ring and Sharendar before I got bored. When I left, I had two boons in Sharendar and 9.7k GS. I did hear about Icewind Dale, but as no one said anything about any requirements (other than the obvious "it's lvl 60 only"), I figured I was more than well enough prepared for it. It wasn't until I returned a few days ago I learned about the stupid Boon 3 and 10k GS requirements. Now I play a lvl 38 GWF. The hell with module 3. I'm not grinding the boring Dread Ring and Sharenadar just for that.
  • Options
    cprncprn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This should have been put on the front page with red and caps lock text weeks ago not in some forgotten thread on the forums...
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wait, some of you are upset because you didnt want to grind two other mods before grinding the third one? Whats the difference? Also, boons are actually useful! In the end it comes down to the same thing, grinding another area for gear/boons.

(BTW dread ring is pretty darn easy, its sharander thats mind numbing because you have 18 boring days between boon 2 and 3, its a pain, then they make you pay a bazillion sparks for rank 4 and another bazillion for rank 5, but you actually do not need to do more then 6 days each of the 3 areas after rank 3 boon, so not quite a week, then you can just do arcane reservoir and get the day 6 sharandar chest and thats 70 a week divided by what I remember as 500 or so sparks needed and thats a little over 7 weeks. Total time doing sharander quests is like 30 days or so, you can speed up the time frame by doing a daily quest for 10 sparks instead of waiting on the 7 weeks of turn ins for the last two boons.

My cw hit 60 like 3 months ago and Im "almost done" with the last boon there , though its a sorry boon for a CW, its nice for other classes and dread rings boons are mostly useful all the way through (rank 4 boons are pretty bad on either side, as they both have like 60 second cooldowns, which in effect makes them pretty useless in the end. )

My GWF will be a bit on hold while I gear up my DC then CW.. I wouldve liked to get her to the third boons but its going to be a bit probably.

Overall now that there is a mod 3, I think realigning sharander to the same day schedule as dread ring would be warranted, as it really is painful between boon 2 and 3, those 18 days seem like forever.
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am happy I keep up on the news. Before that April 14th announcement I only had 1 toon done with all 10 boons. My other 5 toons only had 2 boons done each.

I upped my game playing time and busted out 8-10 boons for my 5 other level 60 toons over the last month.. Not to mention getting their GS's up so all my toons have a GS between 13k and 16k.

I am looking forward to unlocking all 6 class based artifacts too.

Icewind Dale, here I come!
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am confused as well. You do not want to grind for what amounts to free perma stats, but want to go into the new mod to grind for gear that has to be refreshed by even more grinding.
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Wait, some of you are upset because you didnt want to grind two other mods before grinding the third one? Whats the difference? Also, boons are actually useful! In the end it comes down to the same thing, grinding another area for gear/boons.
    No, I don't want to grind. Period. But I've been around since beta (had a long break now, though), and I've done my share of grinding in Sharandar and Dread Ring. I really, really don't want to go back there to grind again, no matter how useful those boons might be. All I wanted was to go to Icewind Dale and explore and have some fun again, and expected it to be open just like Sharendar and Dread Ring. Reached max level? Congrats, here's a new area for you. Buuuuut... no. Reached max level? Congrats, now you just have to grind a few weeks to be allowed into the new zone. Sigh...

And for that matter, why does every endgame area have to consist of endless grinding anyway? And while I'm not asking for an increased level cap, but better gear means we can go to higher level areas. So instead of the boring black ice grinding, they could simply hand out better gear and be done with it. That way each area (Sharenadar, Dread Ring, Icewind Dale) could have a GS recommendation only. Icewind Dale requires 10k GS. That should have been enough. If you have that much or more, you should have a challenge, but nothing you can handle in the early parts of the area. Later areas requires more GS, of course. But it would also mean that if you only have 7k GS, you can still go there. You will be in trouble if you go solo, but two or three people together could do just fine.

The point is I'm sick of grinding Dread Ring and Sharenadar, and there's no way I'm going back there to grind more. If that means I'll never get to explore Icewind Dale, then so be it. I have a character from every class, and I'll rather take all of them up to max level in the story and foundry rather than grinding a second more in "end game". I just hope the next area won't have a stupid requirement, or else I might as well stop playing right away.
  • Options
    kuskusgilakuskusgila Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2014
    ladymythos wrote: »
    No, I don't want to grind. Period. But I've been around since beta (had a long break now, though), and I've done my share of grinding in Sharandar and Dread Ring. I really, really don't want to go back there to grind again, no matter how useful those boons might be. All I wanted was to go to Icewind Dale and explore and have some fun again, and expected it to be open just like Sharendar and Dread Ring. Reached max level? Congrats, here's a new area for you. Buuuuut... no. Reached max level? Congrats, now you just have to grind a few weeks to be allowed into the new zone. Sigh...

And for that matter, why does every endgame area have to consist of endless grinding anyway? And while I'm not asking for an increased level cap, but better gear means we can go to higher level areas. So instead of the boring black ice grinding, they could simply hand out better gear and be done with it. That way each area (Sharenadar, Dread Ring, Icewind Dale) could have a GS recommendation only. Icewind Dale requires 10k GS. That should have been enough. If you have that much or more, you should have a challenge, but nothing you can handle in the early parts of the area. Later areas requires more GS, of course. But it would also mean that if you only have 7k GS, you can still go there. You will be in trouble if you go solo, but two or three people together could do just fine.

The point is I'm sick of grinding Dread Ring and Sharenadar, and there's no way I'm going back there to grind more. If that means I'll never get to explore Icewind Dale, then so be it. I have a character from every class, and I'll rather take all of them up to max level in the story and foundry rather than grinding a second more in "end game". I just hope the next area won't have a stupid requirement.
    My guildmates able to enter IWD in his main toon without having his second toon acquiring Sharandar / DR boons. You should try entering it now. Only if you want class artifacts that you are required to grind dailies on your second toon.

Since you have played since beta, Im pretty sure your main already have all the boons.
  • Options
    vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »

Sure that would make perfect sense IF the new mod was a PvE focused upgrade to the previous PvE grinds, but lets face it, its a PvP centric mod, and alot of people didn't focus 2 toons worth of PvE progression especially if they lived in PvP on their main.
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @morthos68: It will take 14 days exactly... As some have posted. It's not optimal for the situation you described, but it isn't too far away! Just saying, don't lose hope and information sometimes fall through the cracks so to speak. Good luck to the both of you, and keep on playing! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    watchingdwheelswatchingdwheels Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey Dad, Mort, I'm just guessing, you do log in with ARC? Some of the articles you see do mention these tidbits for information like this.

So, be a standup guy, candidate for "Dad of the Year" and get Her those boons. Play for her when she's at school, work, whatever.

I have 4 60s I want to take, made 9 boons in last 3 weeks. they're not all going opening day.

I don't like grinding either, but I knew about the requirement, and since we're throwing it out, I'm 63.
    "When You Attack, You Must Vanquish"
    "When You Defend, You Need Merely Survive"

Master Po to Kwai Chang Caine

Bonhomme Richard DC L 60 PVE Heal Build

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    segnbora33segnbora33 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I started out disappointed about the boon requirement - I didn't know about it either, and had only two in each - but I have to admit I'm grateful for it. Grinding these again brought me back to the game in new ways, and I understand the maps and rewards better than I did before. My character is barely 10k gs so it's helped me take it slow and remember I can always bulk up before rushing into a new mod where I'll probably get creamed right away :)
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @morthos68: It will take 14 days exactly... As some have posted. It's not optimal for the situation you described, but it isn't too far away! Just saying, don't lose hope and information sometimes fall through the cracks so to speak. Good luck to the both of you, and keep on playing! :cool:

Look on the bright side: By the time your boons are done they will have most of the glitches and hotfixes worked out.

As an added bonus you will get more for your grinding with the new xp over 60 system, than if you had grinded pre mod3. :)