test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

pvp full sets vs mix and match

2»

Comments

• hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    marnival wrote: »
    I have to agree with Overdrive here.
    I guess it depends a bit on other stats and how much hp you got.

If you run around with 22-28k hp and are fully crit/power/arpen build with fully feated range i cant imagine it does much difference with 2% hp gain on deflect even though 20% extra movement speed should make some difference.

But if you have 34k hp with a deflect 30%+ with reg 1600+ using nature 20% extra on heals gaining over 400+ on each deflect i can tell you that it makes a huge differance. Using melee stance am over 40% deflect and sometimes you can actually gain hp by being in meele.

Sure you die once you get cced hanging in the air with a gwf bullrushing in ya doing 3 cc chains in a row while the wiz ice nukes you but who doesent ).

If you actively try to stay at range not holding or standing on points am sure you can wear about anything that adds dps stats and do better but if you want to help points stay close to combat dodging in and out am all with Overdrive that all things that makes you stay alive helps (and gaining hp on all deflects sure is a nice way to stay alive a bit longer)..

Best

I think that's a false comparison that it's either all hp/deflect/regen or you might as well go all offense. Every player in pvp needs to build for both offense and defense.

Based on the chart in this thread http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?340162-GF-Statistical-Data-(Avoiding-Diminishing-Returns), it looks like going from 1k deflect from enchants only to 2.3k for enchants+combatantant gear, you're gaining about 5-7% deflection chance, mainly because diminishing returns starts to kick in around 1k for deflect.

So the question is, how much is 5-7% chance to deflect worth? You still can run in combat spec for the extra 10% gain. With full archer's, you may not get to over 40% deflection chance in melee stance, but you can get to like 35%.

Also, there's like 80% more defense on the archer's set, so there's still a defensive reason to use it. And defensive reduction works on all damage, it's not dependent on chance.

So basically it comes down to how really huge is that 5-7% chance to deflect? Is it, combined with extra power, comparable to the extra crit, armor penetration and defense you get from archer's?

In my mind, I think they are comparable and it comes down to how play your HR.

If you're almost always in melee stance, then I'd go with combatant's to add to the strength of that spec. If you spend more time in ranged stand split-shotting, I'd go with archer's.

Personally, I find the most effective thing I can contribute as an HR is spamming split-shot on a group of players. It's cheesy and not exactly skillful, but nothing in the game compares to the kind of AOE spammable damage it provides (and will still provide even after the nerf I believe), so most of my stats are going to favor that, meaning crit, arp and power.

In my view, some HR's really overdo the stance switching. Instead of spamming split shot and doing 20k damage each shot total to 4 opponents, they'll zoom in and do 20k damage to one opponent, put themselves in severe danger and have to reposition to do any more damage.

It's fun to boar rush melee-focused HR's who have zoomed in on your entire team on a node.

I also want to be able to stance switch and use melee abilities 1v1, so I will enchant for deflect, use the regen rings/boon, feat for HP, and take the incoming healing feat when possible (right now I have maximum cooldown which requires full archer and 2 in combat so I can't take it- I'll probably change that when respec comes with the new mod).
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    I love deflect when the enemy team is ignoring everyone else and focusing my toon, I am convinced it keeps her alive a lot longer.
    That's when I hit ME and get the heck out of dodge. :)

I really only use combat for hit-and-run kills - MR in, FS, SB and maybe AS. The rest of the time I leverage Lone Wolf and range where possible. I find if I'm properly focussed then even my full Combat HR with ~40% defelect died fast.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014
    Personally, I find the most effective thing I can contribute as an HR is spamming split-shot on a group of players. It's cheesy and not exactly skillful, but nothing in the game compares to the kind of AOE spammable damage it provides (and will still provide even after the nerf I believe), so most of my stats are going to favor that, meaning crit, arp and power.

In my view, some HR's really overdo the stance switching. Instead of spamming split shot and doing 20k damage each shot total to 4 opponents, they'll zoom in and do 20k damage to one opponent, put themselves in severe danger and have to reposition to do any more damage.

It's fun to boar rush melee-focused HR's who have zoomed in on your entire team on a node.

I also want to be able to stance switch and use melee abilities 1v1, so I will enchant for deflect, use the regen rings/boon, feat for HP, and take the incoming healing feat when possible (right now I have maximum cooldown which requires full archer and 2 in combat so I can't take it- I'll probably change that when respec comes with the new mod).
    This pretty much describes my playstyle also. I don't have the max cooldown build so I did put some points into the heal buff. Along with the regen rings I heal really fast between fights - I almost never have to go looking for a potion.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This pretty much describes my playstyle also. I don't have the max cooldown build so I did put some points into the heal buff. Along with the regen rings I heal really fast between fights - I almost never have to go looking for a potion.

Yeah max cooldown doesn't really make too much sense since I stay ranged pretty often and the cooldown from combat is procced by melee abilities. It is amazing in 1v1 though combined with stormstep action. Constricting arrow is basically available by the time the effect ends, which causes havoc on anybody not a GWF.

I think I'll wait though I've done like 5 respecs in the past couple weeks playing around with feats. I really should be spending the AD on rank 8s.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah max cooldown doesn't really make too much sense since I stay ranged pretty often and the cooldown from combat is procced by melee abilities. It is amazing in 1v1 though combined with stormstep action. Constricting arrow is basically available by the time the effect ends, which causes havoc on anybody not a GWF.

I think I'll wait though I've done like 5 respecs in the past couple weeks playing around with feats. I really should be spending the AD on rank 8s.
    I know what you mean. I've spent more on respecs for my HR than on all my other toons combined. :)

I'm waiting for the mod 3 free respec before I consider any more changes. I may be going Pathfinder since the only Stormwarden power I use is Stormstep and the nerf to that makes it a lot less attractive.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This is a good discussion and Im glad you guys are adding so much to it. All of it is situational. Sometimes node holding is required, sometimes ranged dps, sometimes shifting in and out. One thing for sure, a lack of tanks or a squishy tank and Im on 2 with the dc and I better be able to handle it well or risk making my team and guild look stupid. So it pays to keep different gear sets handy and be flexible. I definitely prefer a freewheeling fly around everywhere and flash in and out and kill kill kill. But thats not always what is required.

As far as spamming split shot, I cant see getting away with this at all unless it is a pug and the other team isnt very smart. Even if you wipe a node clean once with that, they will focus you next time. If I can get away with spamming at-wills it will be aimed shot and each 1-2 shots a different enemy team member will go down.

Marauders is awesome but too often it happens that thornward is really the better choice. It is a little bigger than astral shield so these two layered on top of each other with a hr and dc supporting each other can be a pretty effective combination. With a good dc you can go on forever and that alone makes the four-piece bonus kind of moot.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think that's a false comparison that it's either all hp/deflect/regen or you might as well go all offense. Every player in pvp needs to build for both offense and defense.
    Never said you should gimp yourself in either way its more a pick between armors and maxing offence. I am as i said 35k hp 30% deflect but i still have 2600+ arpen 29% crit and 3700 power.

I my view most HR's spam split shot and not much else. But if you stand a bit from point your team has 3-4 on it and other team has 3-4 on it doing so might be the best option.
    The problem with out being offencive is thats not the best way of making your team win when most of the time you have to contest points under different circomstances.

Most of the matches other team has at least 2 range and a tr(i leave perma redicules trs out from this atm) spamming you or your team members with ccs and dam. Being able to lock them down with constricted arrow or snare (whish i dont use myself) and move in for fast kills decimating their ability to both kite and do dam to your party and standing on points helping to score is imho way more productive to secure a team win then spamming split shot from distance.

Sure it comes down to play style and how your team is made up compared to the other but in pugs my experiernce is that having both options is more valid. Alot of HR's likes forrest up and aim shot at every opertunity, myself i find it alot more productive to use feats to speed up the use between encounters to be able to use constricted arrow/fox to lock down CW's and other HR's and prevent them from devastate my team.
    edited May 2014
    marnival wrote: »
    Never said you should gimp yourself in either way its more a pick between armors and maxing offence. I am as i said 35k hp 30% deflect but i still have 2600+ arpen 29% crit and 3700 power.

I my view most HR's spam split shot and not much else. But if you stand a bit from point your team has 3-4 on it and other team has 3-4 on it doing so might be the best option.
    The problem with out being offencive is thats not the best way of making your team win when most of the time you have to contest points under different circomstances.

Most of the matches other team has at least 2 range and a tr(i leave perma redicules trs out from this atm) spamming you or your team members with ccs and dam. Being able to lock them down with constricted arrow or snare (whish i dont use myself) and move in for fast kills decimating their ability to both kite and do dam to your party and standing on points helping to score is imho way more productive to secure a team win then spamming split shot from distance.

Sure it comes down to play style and how your team is made up compared to the other but in pugs my experiernce is that having both options is more valid. Alot of HR's likes forrest up and aim shot at every opertunity, myself i find it alot more productive to use feats to speed up the use between encounters to be able to use constricted arrow/fox to lock down CW's and other HR's and prevent them from devastate my team.

I think this is very well said and true. Whether to ghost + aimshot or constrict +foxshift is really situational imo. For 1v1s on home node, the fg+as quite often kills the enemy with one shot, and then you can rove off to where you are needed most. To me the best rotation is fg+as, and then as fg is in 'cooldown', go to the constricting/foxshift combo. Those moves are so lethal and fun.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • elgorrelgorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2014
    Glass cannons can't carry bad pugs.
    Often I have to do 1vsX for contest a node and hope your fellow 10k gs team mates clear other nodes(which is rare though) for carrying my team.
    In a winning lopsided games, your gears and build doesn't matter at all(unless you want to be nice and shinny in scoreboard).
    For me, tanky build with 4/4 combatant set bonus is essential.
    edited May 2014
    elgorr wrote: »
    Often I have to do 1vsX for contest a node and hope your fellow 10k gs team mates clear other nodes(which is rare though) for carrying my team.
    In a winning lopsided games, your gears and build doesn't matter at all(unless you want to be nice and shinny in scoreboard).

I just don't think 5% less deflect makes you a "glass cannon". If combatant's was the only way to get any deflect or something, I think yeah, it would be the only way to go. But you can pretty easily get to the 1k diminishing returns on deflect without it, and you get a decent amount from dexterity and the feat. And like I said it Archer's comes with more defense so that's not glass cannon.

Yeah I use constricting whenever it's off cooldown, trying to get a DC, CW or basically anyone that isn't a GWF with it. But mainly I'm spamming split shot.

Currently, I can't zoom in to secure kills because I'm not using maruader's. I'm finding boar rush just way too helpful in 1v1 situations, especially against GWFs and CWs and even other HRs, and I can't seem to get rid of constricting or fox shift because they're too good. Boar Rush is pretty addictive and I find it really hard to play without the short-distance prone anymore.

I do however spend much of the time pretty up close and personal mostly because Boar Rush is so good. Throwing on another prone against the enemy often seems like the difference between someone getting away and someone dying.

So, no, I'm not like a stereotypical HR that stands back and really just spams split shot or one that throws up ROA and hopes people will just stand in it. Split shot is however the main thing I use, so I use stats that favor it.

The main thing I just couldn't bear to see go is the 1k crit from archer's. Crits on split shot with g.vorpal are just so much better than non-crits. It's a little hypocritical because crit diminishing returns are even worse than deflect, but when it's a matter of of a few percent one way or the other, I'm going to favor crit over deflect.

This may change when the nerf comes to split shot, but for right now split shot is just too OP not to abuse the hell out of.
    edited May 2014
    I just don't think 5% less deflect makes you a "glass cannon". If combatant's was the only way to get any deflect or something, I think yeah, it would be the only way to go. But you can pretty easily get to the 1k diminishing returns on deflect without it, and you get a decent amount from dexterity and the feat. And like I said it Archer's comes with more defense so that's not glass cannon.
    Like someone said above, combined with Nature's Blessing, deflection + defection heal makes you very tanky. I have parsed both combatant and archer set in PvP. The result was very impressive for me. With combatant set, I healed myself by Rejuvenating Swiftness(4/4 set bonus) more than healing pots(which is I spam). So even in diminishing returns, 5% more deflection is useful.

In addition, 20% run speed helps me when I have to kite 2 GWFs and a TR. I feel their frustrations from missing IBS and DF without dodging.

As for defense, it's negligible unless you have 40%+ since GWFs and HRs have at least 30% ArP, CWs have almost 0%(bugged) and TR's SE ignores defense.
    edited May 2014
    Like someone said above, combined with Nature's Blessing, deflection + defection heal makes you very tanky. I have parsed both combatant and archer set in PvP. The result was very impressive for me. With combatant set, I healed myself by Rejuvenating Swiftness(4/4 set bonus) more than healing pots(which is I spam). So even in diminishing returns, 5% more deflection is useful.

In addition, 20% run speed helps me when I have to kite 2 GWFs and a TR. I feel their frustrations from missing IBS and DF without dodging.

As for defense, it's negligible unless you have 40%+ since GWFs and HRs have at least 30% ArP, CWs have almost 0%(bugged) and TR's SE ignores defense.
    If you parsed that healing on live then it's likely to take a nosedive in Mod 3. Rejuvenating Swiftness is bugged and triggering far too often. That's been fixed on Preview and the fix will roll out with Mod 3.

I'm not saying it will make the 4 set bonus useless (I have a 4 piece set myself at the moment) but it will reduce the impact as you'll be getting many fewer heals.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014
    I use the 4 piece Grim Archer set and I'm pretty tanky unless mobbed. Lone Wolf added to my high defence and ~30k HP means I can tank enough for most pug situations.

The big attraction of the HR for me is the flexibility. Even a mainly Archer build - if played right - can fill a number of roles by switching up encounters and changing playstyle to adapt to how the match is going.

My default for fights at Mid is to stand off point while spamming Split Shot to help clear it and using Contricting when off cooldown to lock down problem targets (TR and CW are priorities). I'm also looking for targets of opportunity to hit with FG+AS+MR+FS (or some combination of those). But if my team are really struggling then I switch in Split the Sky plus Thorn Ward and go heavy support/interference. If Mid is secure or my team are winning there easily I'll move to a roaming role and pop up where required. I can backcap pretty well solo and at the very least survive long enough to give my team a numerical advantage elsewhere.

I absolutely love that flexibility. I have an unusual TR build that comes close but otherwise the HR is king of multi-role in PvP.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014

How much did you heal yourself with the archer's set? You still get the same heals, you might just get 1 less deflection out of 20 hits than you would with archer's.
    edited May 2014
    About glass cannons not carrying pugs, well if you define a class cannon as any hr that is not in full combatants then I would have to seriously disagree. If "glass cannon" is anyones arbitrary definition, than ya, of course a glass cannon wont carry a pug. But a mix and match or even a full archer set will carry a pug.

In all brutal honesty the optimum pvp set up is ugly *** halfling and going full on tank. I like to compete but I dont want to play a halfling and I dont want to play a cookie-cutter build.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • myth8892myth8892 Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2014
    Im new to HR myself. Leveled up over the double xp weekend. Right now wearing brutal armor and play a halfling, my playstyle is similar to nightxwingz, in and oout of melee.
    Trying to grind for grim gear now. I used nights build but since not human i lacked the 3 xtra feats. Did not take the dex disciple by accident. Do i need this?
    If so what suggestions should i drop and get the dex feat. And keeping with the thread i am going combatant because i like to get in and out alot.
    edited May 2014
    How much did you heal yourself with the archer's set? You still get the same heals, you might just get 1 less deflection out of 20 hits than you would with archer's.
    I checked my parse data and it was Profound combatant vs Grim archer with different max HP and defection chance. So this comparison doesn't make sense. My bad. But from my calculation, if I lose 5% deflection chance, I lose around 4% in combat self healing. For me, this is big difference since I think extra 550 defense from Profound archer set gives me almost nothing like i said above. Again, my theme is how to survive 1vsX situations including geared opponents.

Anyway, things gonna change in a few days, the Mod3.
    edited May 2014
    I checked my parse data and it was Profound combatant vs Grim archer with different max HP and defection chance. So this comparison doesn't make sense. My bad. But from my calculation, if I lose 5% deflection chance, I lose around 4% in combat self healing. For me, this is big difference since I think extra 550 defense from Profound archer set gives me almost nothing like i said above. Again, my theme is how to survive 1vsX situations including geared opponents.

Anyway, things gonna change in a few days, the Mod3.

Yeah the regen on those looks pretty crazy. And throw on the nature feat and a 150% oakskin if you want to play defensive and that's a lot of self-healing.

The only thing is I think everyone is going to be getting tons of regen, so everyone might be pretty tough to take down.

I still think the profound set will be worth having for the speed mostly and the stats on either aren't bad.
    edited May 2014
    myth8892 wrote: »
    Im new to HR myself. Leveled up over the double xp weekend. Right now wearing brutal armor and play a halfling, my playstyle is similar to nightxwingz, in and oout of melee.
    Trying to grind for grim gear now. I used nights build but since not human i lacked the 3 xtra feats. Did not take the dex disciple by accident. Do i need this?
    If so what suggestions should i drop and get the dex feat. And keeping with the thread i am going combatant because i like to get in and out alot.

I don't think it's a significant damage boost. I'm unsure if it's a flat increase and if it is why they don't just say so, or if it's a percentage of the percentage dex gives you, which would be far less.

Either way it's not going to make or break you.
    edited May 2014
    Switched up gear sets, rings and enchants mainly and am ending up with over 1k regen, and 2k more hp then I had, no full set. Wow is it nice. Will probably try it with the full set but I am pretty happy with this as it is.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited May 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    Switched up gear sets, rings and enchants mainly and am ending up with over 1k regen, and 2k more hp then I had, no full set. Wow is it nice. Will probably try it with the full set but I am pretty happy with this as it is.

I'm loving the full profound set for the 20% speed. I swear I was kiting a GWF who had a DC with him on his node in a circle for well over a minute lol (also had the 10% bonus from melee stance). He tried a few different patterns but just could not lock me down.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm loving the full profound set for the 20% speed. I swear I was kiting a GWF who had a DC with him on his node in a circle for well over a minute lol (also had the 10% bonus from melee stance). He tried a few different patterns but just could not lock me down.

This.

The 20% movement increase has greatly added to my survivability. Kiting GWF and GF around the edge of a node made easy. Getting to kill targets that much quicker too when Marauder's is on CD, while escaping my foes when low on health by zipping away from danger. I'm loving it and cannot imagine playing wthout the 4-piece bonus.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited May 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    This.

The 20% movement increase has greatly added to my survivability. Kiting GWF and GF around the edge of a node made easy. Getting to kill targets that much quicker too when Marauder's is on CD, while escaping my foes when low on health by zipping away from danger. I'm loving it and cannot imagine playing wthout the 4-piece bonus.

Yeah, it's great. With some movement stat and either of the movement feats, you're basically running as fast as someone riding a basic mount.
    edited May 2014
    Switched to full combatants profound and yes it is much much better. The 2% heal is really nice and is actually a major noticeable difference from 1.5. Stacking deflect and regen, something needs to burst you down good and quick to kill you. It almost makes me feel bad for TR's who from stealth are hitting a million low damage attacks which almost fills your health meter while they are dealing with thornward and everything else.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF