What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zoom ... goes the ZEN rocket!

Comments

• Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Zeb's right. I've been at this game as long as he has -- the market goes up (whoosh!) and down (wah wah) just like any economic trend. I don't recall it hitting 500 but one other time personally (which just means I only saw the one time), but I HAVE seen go above 490 a few times. I've also seen it massively depressed, and the people with Zen stockpiles were crying their eyes out that there wasn't a minimum of 350 instead of 50.

Chill. You don't have to buy Zen right now. Really. you don't. If you have $$ to invest in the future quality of the game, consider that now is a really good time to buy Zen and cash in. If you don't actually need the ADs, fine! Hold onto them in your AH account until the price of Zen drops back down south of 350 -- because it will eventually -- and then you buy back the Zen plus interest.

Don't come on here though and cry about the Zen price when it's a player driven market and already does have a completely reasonable cap. I repeat, just don't buy Zen if you feel it's too expensive because the price will go down eventually. If having X thing you want the AD for is *that* important to you.. well, that's the price of keeping up with the Joneses, as the say.
  • Options
    pyciorekpyciorek Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2014
    Of course many people know that it's going to bring them a lot of profit to save their zen for when a new lockbox replaces Unearthed boxes. Like it was a few months ago when the price for zen jumped up drastically when Unearthed boxes replaced Rusties. You can notice this if you take a glance at the AH prices. Not many people opening boxes because they keep their zen to either sell them next week or they bought keys to use on crystal boxes.

The drops from previous lockboxes are likely gonna double in price like it was with Owlbears, Araneas and nightmare mounts before.

Noticed that there's only a few Rust Monters on bid? I'm guessing a lot of people are keeping theirs instead of selling them. Next week people are gonna be opening crystal lockboxes and their competition won't be so numerous. Similar with Thayan Book artifacts - I'd bet they'll go up in price by at least half a mil AD. A few days ago you could get a Rust monster for a bit over 300k AD. ~400k AD today. I'm guessing that their price is going to be around 800k AD in 2 weeks. This might be a great moment to buy alchemy assets cheap because I doubt there's going to be a lot of people opening Unearthed lockboxes in large numbers, like they are doing now, after the crystal lockboxes replace Unearthed boxes. A shot at a purple Ioun Stone might become the newest fad for people who profit from opening boxes.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    Thank you.

I am familiar with economics. I was wondering what caused it to climb and why it is climbing rather sharply. 10% and more in increase is not little. It might be the game is lacking in players who "play" the markets, which not only makes one rich, but helps with regulating and stabilizing the market prices. I will make sure to invest some extra ZEN (more than usual) if it does hit the 500 cap. :cool:

Some players have hundreds of millions....and they might be bored/speculating.

Right now, there aren't a lot of players so it is easier for someone to manipulate it
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some players have hundreds of millions....and they might be bored/speculating.

Right now, there aren't a lot of players so it is easier for someone to manipulate it

Lol wat? there are plenty of players using the zen exchange , you only have to look at how fast zen is bought and how many trades are taking place to see a lot of players are using the zen exchange , nobody is manipulating anything , any real players in the zen market will have bought up zen weeks ago when it was around and below 400/1 , not be messing about with small trades when the market has almost capped out lol .
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Speculating the exchange is simply a matter of anticipating things. I usually post between 1000 and 2000 Zen at higher exchange rates than the current range then just sit on it. Now with the new Enchanted Keys sale the rate is going to skyrocket as more people will want Zen to buy those keys (I am predicting 480 by tonight sometime, or tomorrow morning). Sure, I could be wrong, but that's what this stuff is all about.

I'm mentioning this because you can also speculate on the lower-end; offer to buy Zen at 350/1 or even a little higher like 380/1 right now. Don't wait for it to hit that range. It will sell the moment the market dips to that level - even if it hits that level for no more than a few seconds. You do not have to buy or sell Zen at the prices that are listed (that is only a guide to show you the current trading range).

If, however, you are wanting that zen *now* - then it may be easier to just spend some legal tender to get it, rather than aching about the current exchange rate?

Because of the enchanted keys sale the cost of Zen is only going to go *up* over the weekend. However, many will buy these keys to resell on the AH, so AD will be in-demand and the cost of Zen will start dropping again. Once Mod 3 drops, a LOT of people will be wanting to hit-up the AH and need AD, that is when the price of Zen will start it's value to dropping back into the less-than-400's range.

EDIT: Holy crapola... it's already at 485 as I was writing this. 'nuff said. Gonna have to go for the big 490/1!
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Aaaaaand prices skyrocket following the announcement of the 15% discount on Keys. Get your Zen while it's under 500!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    orodalf wrote: »
    Aaaaaand prices skyrocket following the announcement of the 15% discount on Keys. Get your Zen while it's under 500!

Which is silly, since with the price boost they cost as much as they did a few days ago, without any discount.

Better invest in Rust Monsters and epic Alchemists - they might double your AD in a matter of days.
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pyciorek wrote: »
    Which is silly, since with the price boost they cost as much as they did a few days ago, without any discount.

Better invest in Rust Monsters and epic Alchemists - they might double your AD in a matter of days.

Why's that? Isn't the supply of Rust Monsters going to jump a bit?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    orodalf wrote: »
    Why's that? Isn't the supply of Rust Monsters going to jump a bit?

Because there's going to be a new lockbox = people profiting from Rusties and Unearthed lockboxes will likely switch to new boxes. Prices of drops from previous boxes are likely gonna jump up drastically. Happened with Owlbears, Nightmare mounts, Araneas, Pseudoragons...

Smaller competition = higher prices.
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    its amazing that even kids are crazy about gambling
    the highest increase I saw so far and its still going up
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, it's a Zen-seller's market right now; 498/1 as I write this. I cannot remember the last time I've made so much AD at the exchange and I've been here since *before* beta.

Finally: pay off! LOL
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yep yep! That key sale will do it! I fortunately picked up 3000 ZEN this week for 435 and 456. Whoo-hoo!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, it's a Zen-seller's market right now; 498/1 as I write this. I cannot remember the last time I've made so much AD at the exchange and I've been here since *before* beta.

Finally: pay off! LOL

It was solid 500 during the massive companion sale coupled with a lockbox sale a few months back.
  • Options
    seanna2000seanna2000 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2014
    The prices of Zen and Astral Diamonds is starting to become ridiculous. Neverwinter is become more and more pay-to-win each minute. I would suggest a limit to how much players can jack up AD or Zen prices. This way it will be fair to both free as well as paying players. Something should be done with the Auction House too. People keep jacking things higher and higher, and this becomes more and more painful for new players. You will lose your customer base if you allow this to continue unchecked. The Auction House should show the maximum you can auction any particular item for (as per its value as an item) and any higher prices shouldn't be accepted. This way, the economy won't go out of control, and free players will be able to afford things, while paying players will get their money's worth as well. Otherwise, say a player bought your Hero of the North pack, and got 2 million AD, but he wanted to trade it for Zen instead, he would find that in no time at all, his AD were worth only as much as toilet paper, which wouldn't be fair to someone who paid money for the stuff. You really need to address this issue ASAP for the sake of all the players as well as for the sake of this game's lifespan.
  • Options
    slaaneshihorrorslaaneshihorror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 88
    edited May 2014
    This isn't abnormal.
    Inflation of this scale happens every time new, important content is released.
    Prices inflate as people prepare for the upcoming changes.
    It's not an issue of any sort, given the approach of module 3's release.
    Greycloaks Bank Manager - Malanael Corventus.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I agree. I just posted a new thread on this issue, and some suggestions. Any other suggestions can be added there too.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yes, but it's too high, and many people don't have the time to wait that long for it to calm down, since many people also work.
  • Options
    xxleyanxxxxleyanxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is a cap for zen ad exchange, it's 50ad for minimum and 500ad for the max. Prices for zen goes crazy when there is new content coming out, don't freak out dude, your toon won't starve to death. It'll go back down after 1-2 months after the realease.
    Synnove ~ Full PvE CW
    Emeril ~ PvP HR
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    There needs to be a limit that isn't so high as 500 to these things, and the Auction House is starting to get ridiculous too. It's not unexpected, since it is human nature to follow and keep up with trends, not wanting to lose out. But I've seen this before in many other MMORPGs and it always kills the fun of things and ends up making everybody lose out and be unhappy with things. The cap for Zen and AD should be more like 450. That way, everybody wins, and the Auction House really needs to be tackled. it's shooting up along with the Zen and AD. I don't see how anybody benefits this way. It's all a loss if you ask me, and I love to auction stuff, but I still consider whether a price I put up is reasonable or not to both free and paying players.

Also, 1-2 months is a timeframe that only those still in school can keep up with.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It's hit 484 now...
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Not everybody loses out with these high AH prices. Sellers are making a pretty penny, if there weren't people willing to pay, the prices would not be that high. Even though I work, I am willing to wait a while for prices to come back to purchase those items I feel are overpriced. If others want to buy now at higher prices that is their prerogative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Changing the cap wouldn't change demand. Price is dictated by the demand of those items.

Fact is people want Zen more than AD atm. Changing the cap wouldn't change that.

We've seen the cap hit before. We will see it again.
    Regardless of what the cap is it will happen when large amounts of players want items that cost Zen without spending Zen.
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    seanna2000 wrote: »
    The prices of Zen and Astral Diamonds is starting to become ridiculous. Neverwinter is become more and more pay-to-win each minute. I would suggest a limit to how much players can jack up AD or Zen prices. This way it will be fair to both free as well as paying players. Something should be done with the Auction House too. People keep jacking things higher and higher, and this becomes more and more painful for new players. You will lose your customer base if you allow this to continue unchecked. The Auction House should show the maximum you can auction any particular item for (as per its value as an item) and any higher prices shouldn't be accepted. This way, the economy won't go out of control, and free players will be able to afford things, while paying players will get their money's worth as well. Otherwise, say a player bought your Hero of the North pack, and got 2 million AD, but he wanted to trade it for Zen instead, he would find that in no time at all, his AD were worth only as much as toilet paper, which wouldn't be fair to someone who paid money for the stuff. You really need to address this issue ASAP for the sake of all the players as well as for the sake of this game's lifespan.

I don't think you quite understand how this economy works. Right now is a great time to put real money into the game, because your exchange rate is so high. If people do this, then there is more money in the game. More AD in the game means higher prices in the Auction House. The items in the Auction house are priced at exactly what they are worth which is exactly what people are willing to pay. That's how a player driven market works. Let the market work out the price, that's how an economy thrives.

By the way, if the cap was 450, there'd be the same amount of people clamoring for a cap of 400.
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So what caused the first run on Zen yesterday. The run from 460 - 490~ was caused by the key sale, but the original run from 420 to 460 still mystifies me. I don't believe it was anticipation for Mod 3. The cap didn't hit at Mod 1 and the only reason you hit the cap for Mod 2 was that the Hunter Ranger pack was selling for Zen. There was no information about something worth spending Zen on in Mod 3. The info about the key sale and lockbox resurgence was still unknown. (but as you can see it skyrocketed once that information was released). It went up pretty fast for having no new information available. What is interesting is that at the last key sale, 24 hours before the announcement, the zen market also had a quick rise...almost as if some people have better information than others. Just my thoughts, I watch the zen market pretty close, and there wasn't a logical reason for that increase in so little time...IMHO .
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When I started out here AD to Zen was "very high" at 320 AD to 1 Zen.

I read on the Zen market that in order to sell Zen you have to list at a minimum of 50 AD per Zen.

Read that again - only fifty astral diamonds per singular zen. Let your mind boggle a moment at what you could afford at that rate.

Yes, zen is high atm. Save your AD. Save your RL money. It'll go down again.

Now, if somebody wants to be super duper nice and just drop the bottom out of the market to start listing 1000000 zen at say... only 200 AD per zen that might help the price go down quickly. Just place your listings for a lot lower request to buy X zen at Y AD.?

Don't panic just because an item is "on sale". It takes patience, but saving up your AD is worth it.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    tluceantlucean Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When I started out here AD to Zen was "very high" at 320 AD to 1 Zen.

I read on the Zen market that in order to sell Zen you have to list at a minimum of 50 AD per Zen.

Read that again - only fifty astral diamonds per singular zen. Let your mind boggle a moment at what you could afford at that rate.

Yes, zen is high atm. Save your AD. Save your RL money. It'll go down again.

Now, if somebody wants to be super duper nice and just drop the bottom out of the market to start listing 1000000 zen at say... only 200 AD per zen that might help the price go down quickly. Just place your listings for a lot lower request to buy X zen at Y AD.?

Don't panic just because an item is "on sale". It takes patience, but saving up your AD is worth it.

Wow, so much misinformation ...
    A high ZEN is the best time to trade real money for AD.
    Buying ZEN with real money to get something from the ZEN-store is completely unrelated to the ZAX, as no AD are involved.

And by super duper nice you mean super duper dumb?
    Why would someone voluntarily burn 250,000,000 to 280,000,000 AD, which is the amount you would lose with your proposal?

PS: Just because there is a very low minimum doesn't mean it is realistic to be ever reached. There would be no incentive to buy ZEN with real money anymore, which can't be something Cryptic is interested in. So there will be always something nice on sale to keep prices at least moderate.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Dragoness, I think you either misunderstand or at least didn't write down what you intended to.

PWE doesn't add Zen or AD to the Zen Exchange. It is all player controlled. All Zen purchased on the Zen Exchange is supplied by another player who put money into the game. It is quite literally an exchange.

The 500 max is to prevent AD from devaluing past a certain point. The 50 minimum is to prevent Zen from devaluing past a certain point. Two sides to the same coin.

Players who buy Zen now and trade it for AD are guaranteed to make a profit. Literally guaranteed.
    Buying Zen and trading it for AD right now is an excellent economic decision.
    And the same process applies the other way around. Zen costs are guaranteed to go down so don't trade AD for Zen.

Zen is always worth roughly one US cent. And fellow mods please don't give me the hullabaloo of not being redeemable for cash. It may not be redeemable for cash but it is still costs one cent per Zen. It is the AD value that fluctuates.

You guys can buy Zen and turn it into AD for a profit or you can buy whatever items you were interested in anyway. But to those upset about the value of AD, the choice is simple enough: spend money or be patient. That's the same choice as ever. The game is free to play but make no mistake being free will always be the harder of the two options.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    what rly annoys me is that some people know of the promotions ahead of time. I was wondering myself why the zen price went up so fast in so little time and as of yesterday i;ve understood.
    Players who buy Zen now and trade it for AD are guaranteed to make a profit. Literally guaranteed.

Trading something real for a fiction is hardly a profit for that trader as it cant be reversed.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Nobody knows ahead of time.
    Not even the mods are informed until the actual announcements.

And profit is not limited to physical cash. Value is value whether the currency is digital or physical.
    AD and Zen have value whether they can be redeemed for "real cash" or not. British Pounds are "real cash" so I hear but the value of a British Pound to me is worthless. All currency is subjective but just because a currency isn't widely accepted doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Any gain of value is profit by definition.
  • Options
    broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Nobody knows ahead of time.
    Not even the mods are informed until the actual announcements.

It's the same in the other people-driven market: Stock Exchanges

A good youtube video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmI867fAYU?t=1m47 Skip to 1 minute 47 seconds

Also known as: Trading Places material nonpublic info