test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there a dungeon still worth farming?

Comments

• pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's possible to make your own rank 7s and 8s over months if you save everything I guess and get lucky with greater mark of potency drops.

I'm wondering why you play at all though if you don't care to sell stuff to improve your enchancements? If you already have the best set gear and enchantments you're not going to upgrade, where's the opportunity for advancement?

And paying for rank 10s isn't really viable for almost anybody since it would cost about a thousand dollars.

I am improving my enchantments. Through PVE drops.

I'm using my AD for things that don't drop, like companions and (now) coalescent wards. Also for buying Greater Marks of Potency since they hardly ever drop either.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Again that is exactly the sort of price-fighting that an oversupply causes. It is not like the underbidding happened in a vacuum. It was caused by farmers flooding the market. Whether it came from a bug or exploit or it came from the poor class design that resulted in CWF parties does not much matter. Really the price drop is reasonable if there are rational actors in the market. The only toon I use the Never set on is my GF because the price got lower than the components to build one of the other 2. And even with the current market rate it is a little silly to complain about a 100k+ drop.

The thing is people pay for what is cheapest. Sometimes it doesn't really matter how much you undercut by, just being the lowest will cause you a sale and even if you don't get the sale, discounting it a lot doesn't save you from people undercutting you. I've seen stable markets fall in price just because a few people undercutting each other at one time and then because people are still farming or making those items, the market stabilises at that amount when really things would sell at pretty much the same rate if they had just undercut by a small amount. Also people are complaining because the old content is remaining the goto for farming while it would make the game less stale if the new content could be farmed in a similar fashion. I'd like to farm mc/vt for a change, but drop rates affect that, but so does half the drops being bop. I used to farm CN a lot. Now I'm stuck with using professions for ad generation instead of playing which kind of defeats the purpose of the game. CN is still somewhat farmable but the newer content should have somewhat taken it's place. Games are all about progression. Not getting any rewards for replaying a dungeon you're got your loot from means no progression and hence not really worth doing. CN is a dungeon people kept doing over and over in order to progress and earn more stuff. Should me being a leadership bot, spending my time crafting on 16 toons be more rewarding than actually playing the game? Old content obviously won't keep its value forever, atm there's nothing to take its place though and everything will be a waste of time unless they change things. I've invested my AD just in case though so that I can carry on getting an income. I just feel bad who haven't earnt as much as me already. They're gonna have a much harder time than me and I've put a lot of time in this game.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    You do realize pre-clearing was never intended nor were speed runs or boss skipping.

I didn't say anything about boss skipping. People are able to farm legit with speedruns

Also, preclearing is allowed. Hopefully a mod confirms this.
    edited May 2014
    I didn't say anything about boss skipping. People are able to farm legit with speedruns

Also, preclearing is allowed. Hopefully a mod confirms this.

What's to confirm? You now get the DD chest unlocked whilst you are inside the dungeon without the need to relog :P
    edited May 2014
    Also the prices have dropped because the dungeon is over a year old.

That's the main point the OP was making- the most lucrative dungeon is really old and there is no replacement coming in mod 3 either.

Also the fact that Valindra's Tower and Castle Malabog aren't exactly farmable
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just never understood the "if I don't get some sort of e-item out of the deal, the content isn't worth doing" mentality.

I run dungeons to kill things with people and have fun, the loot is a bonus at least or a means to an end at most.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I just never understood the "if I don't get some sort of e-item out of the deal, the content isn't worth doing" mentality.

I run dungeons to kill things with people and have fun, the loot is a bonus at least or a means to an end at most.

Eh, the mentality is the main reason people play MMOs- to watch their character grow in strength and progress.

Once the possibility for progression stops then most people stop playing.

Except you I guess.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
    edited May 2014

Which is great the first few times when it's fresh. But once you've done it a few times there's not really any reason to repeat it again. It's kind of like standalone games (talking about single player). You may have beat the game, but you may continue playing it for the achievements so that you continue to progress.Likewise you can sell extra gear you don't need in order to get better enchantments or even zen store items eventually. You can even help gear up another toon which isn't really something you can do when everything is bound to character.
    edited May 2014
    Eh, the mentality is the main reason people play MMOs- to watch their character grow in strength and progress.

Once the possibility for progression stops then most people stop playing.

Except you I guess.

You should add the word 'many' in front of 'people' in order to make that statement accurate. I am not new to MMOs (started in Ultima) and 'many' share my view. We are playing the content to play it or get a piece that will allow us to play the more difficult dungeon. Not to advance in a virtual economy or check items off a list. For 'many' the content is it's own reward.

P.S. Just because you share the same opinion as a forum thread does not make said opinion the majority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Which is great the first few times when it's fresh. But once you've done it a few times there's not really any reason to repeat it again. It's kind of like standalone games (talking about single player). You may have beat the game, but you may continue playing it for the achievements so that you continue to progress.Likewise you can sell extra gear you don't need in order to get better enchantments or even zen store items eventually. You can even help gear up another toon which isn't really something you can do when everything is bound to character.

There is a plethora of diverse content here to enjoy. Unless you are farming the same things over and over. Then I can see why you are bored. Perhaps adjust your goal to experiencing a variety of content and activities rather than farming would freshen things up a bit.

Foundry, Campaigns, PvP, Gauntlygrim, Dungeons, I do a little of each every time I play and It's still fresh and fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    You should add the word 'many' in front of 'people' in order to make that statement accurate. I am not new to MMOs (started in Ultima) and 'many' share my view. We are playing the content to play it or get a piece that will allow us to play the more difficult dungeon. Not to advance in a virtual economy or check items off a list. For 'many' the content is it's own reward.

P.S. Just because you share the same opinion as a forum thread does not make said opinion the majority.

So why do MMOs have people level up? Or get new equipment? Why not just give everyone the best stuff right off the bat and just fill a game with content just to do it?

Because nobody but you and 5 other people would play a themepark (not sandbox) MMO with no possibility of progression.

Progression is fundamental to all RPGs and it's not just thrown in for the hell of it. It's an enjoyable experience (except for you I guess, you just like doing stuff over and over for no reason at all).

What I'm saying here isn't controversial. Progression has been the backbone of RPGs since D&D first edition and the first time someone got enough experience points to level up and get a new spell.

I guess you would be satisfied with quests without a reason to even do them- Walk up to some NPC, he tells you to go kill 10 ghosts- why?- No reason at all, let alone a reward. Just kill them for the sake of killing them. What a great RPG that would be.
    edited May 2014
    There is a plethora of diverse content here to enjoy. Unless you are farming the same things over and over. Then I can see why you are bored. Perhaps adjust your goal to experiencing a variety of content and activities rather than farming would freshen things up a bit.

Foundry, Campaigns, PvP, Gauntlygrim, Dungeons, I do a little of each every time I play and It's still fresh and fun.

Eh, there's like 40 hours of content in this game lol...

I guess maybe double that if you count foundries.
    edited May 2014

The thing is I like earning. I managed to do hundreds of CN runs without getting burnt out. However I want to replace that experience with the newer dungeons but I can't because the fact they don't give me as much or anything at all hampers my enjoyment. CN guarentees you 1 expensive item at the end that we often split between the group and 3 other epics, some of which are worth a nice amount themselves. MC and vt drop rarely epics, half of which can only be salvaged which isn't too useful when you h ave 600k rough AD.

Foundries also aren't my thing, campaigns are horribly (read forced) and artificially repetitive, especially when you've gone through them on 6 toons :P, pvp I personally don't like since the imbalances annoy me, gauntlegrym isn't so bad so long as your team wins, although you need a good team to do multiple dk runs and then you can get bad luck and get nothing of worth. I do think that's in bad design as I'm sure dwarf king wasn't intended to have people run it multiple times in which case the drop rate would be abysmal. Generally what holds me back from doing that is not having a full guild group doing it and splitting the loot since otherwise you're unlikely to get anything of worth and I'm not really overly trusting on pugs. That leaves dungeons which is what we've been talking about. The old ones have served their purpose and continue to do so at a lesser extend, and I want the new ones to serve an equal purpose. I want to repeat them like I have the older ones but it's just frustrating getting little out of it. For lesser experienced pugs, they probably spend more on potions and injury kits than what they get out of it.

Module 3 will finally give us new content, and HEs are something new which are pretty awesome, although unsure how rewarding they wiill be when it's life. But I fear it will only keep me occupied for maybe ~7 weeks. I doin't think it's too much to ask for more boe stuff to add replay value. I don't particularly want to join the large group of people who have already got fed up of the game for similar reasons. I also don't want to wait months for more new content to come only for it to probably follow the same pattern :c

I've done a wide variety of things (and an unhealthy amount of hours put into this game :P), but the thing I like doing the most is repeating dungeons with similar decent players that we run with and progressing from using the rewards. However as people have left, dungeons have got less rewarding, and having done the older ones for so long, I've relied more and more on professions and less on playing.
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Really?, here's no High End PvE content like in others MMORPG that keep you pushing to have better and better equipment or lvling, I've played games in which you get to max lvl in months or others in which there isn't a max lvl, here you just reach the max lvl in 2 weeks, the quests are done in 15 min and all of them are the kind of: "(kill something/go somewhere) and press f, do that multiplies times and then comeback" and the reward is always ('x' amount of coins /and maybe uncommon equip), and all the events you mencioned are available every day multipies times, there aren't things like weekly raids, minibosses in random places or a plenty amount of diverse maps to explore, and stuff like that..., I don't see the plethora of diverse content here to enjoy.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm wondering why you play at all though if you don't care to sell stuff to improve your enchancements?

Gotta say, the whole auction house / Bloomberg Commodity Trader 2014™ thing has never interested me in the MMOs I've played. Have I periodically sold stuff to earn a bit more cash? Sure. But it's never been the focus - that kind of thing just doesn't interest me. (That's why I was always the guy undercutting like mad in WoW, for instance.)

So "there's got to be Something Good To Sell" has never really clicked for me. /shrug

Different people, different things they enjoy.
    edited May 2014

Most people do. They want progression, they want loot. Why do most RPGs have loot and progression? Why do most games have progression? Why do most MMOs even have a loot/reward system? Why do you think the diablo genre has been so popular? Reward system is intwined in the very fabric of this genre. If you don't care that's fine. But don't go around saying most people are like you because that just isn't true.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Most people do. They want progression, they want loot. Why do most RPGs have loot and progression? Why do most games have progression? Why do most MMOs even have a loot/reward system? Why do you think the diablo genre has been so popular? Reward system is intwined in the very fabric of this genre. If you don't care that's fine. But don't go around saying most people are like you because that just isn't true.

Which reminds me of the worst thing about original Diablo 3 - the auction house, and all the focus on it. I played D2 forever.... to find loot for myself. Not to buy & sell it. Changing the focus onto "farm gold so that you can buy your gear off the auction" was terrible. And it was great when they fixed that mistake.
    edited May 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Which reminds me of the worst thing about original Diablo 3 - the auction house, and all the focus on it. I played D2 forever.... to find loot for myself. Not to buy & sell it. Changing the focus onto "farm gold so that you can buy your gear off the auction" was terrible. And it was great when they fixed that mistake.

Well I don't want to get into a whole diablo discussion in a neverwinter forum....but you twisted my arm. A big thing about the auction house was that it was the scapegoat for a lot of other problems. Diablo 3 didn't have much of an item sink. It didn't have renewable seasons etc. It was too easy to get into the endgame and have little reason for progression apart from a few more stats here and there for 50mil gold.

Neverwinter is getting into the same problem. DD chests becoming BOP was implemented to blame the auction house prices dropping and "too easy to get gear". It is again a scapegoat for other problems.

So now, most people have a new problem: no dungeon worth farming.
    edited May 2014
    I don't quite understand the hate against people who enjoy the content of this game just for the sake of doing the content.

And there is a lot of content in this game, by the way, just not a lot of content that will give you Epic Loot. That's okay though.
    edited May 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the hate against people who enjoy the content of this game just for the sake of doing the content.

Nobody hates them. Why would they?

Its just that a certain poster heavily implied that most people don't really care about loot and do dungeons for the sake of doing dungeons.

They are attacking that notion, not people who enjoy content. Nobody has anything against those people
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dwarf's King is worth farming. The boss loot is T2 and is BOE.

It can be true, BUT the last 2 times I did it (getting 5 runs in each time) we ended up with crappy belts and worthless weapons.
    edited May 2014
    Nobody hates them. Why would they?

Its just that a certain poster heavily implied that most people don't really care about loot and do dungeons for the sake of doing dungeons.

They are attacking that notion, not people who enjoy content. Nobody has anything against those people

If you are referring to ricorosebud, he/she said "many people", not "most people", and you jumped down his/her throat over it. It's true, many people do enjoy the content just for the sake of content. Many people also couldn't care less about the content if it doesn't reward them with Epic Loot. That's fine, I suppose. What is the big deal?
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "Is there a dungeon still worth farming?"

Yes ... but not in this game, lol.
  • squidnuttssquidnutts Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yea if you like the POWER of the best class in the game, like the GWF!
    edited May 2014
    If you are referring to ricorosebud, he/she said "many people", not "most people", and you jumped down his/her throat over it. It's true, many people do enjoy the content just for the sake of content. Many people also couldn't care less about the content if it doesn't reward them with Epic Loot. That's fine, I suppose. What is the big deal?

The MMO community is big enough that a minority group can be described as "many people". The majority of players are exponentially "many people" than the minority who are also "many people" so he is right on a technicality but he was arguing against my stance of majority of players wanting loot so his intentions and his wording isn't exactly matching.

Like I said in the previous post, there is no big deal. If you enjoy content and don't care about loot that's fine.

Most players do care about loot and progression though.
    edited May 2014
    What I 'implied' is that a certain poster was wrong when they said 'people play MMOs because...' I am a people. I play with other people. We don't chase loot to sell on the auction house or purely to have our characters decked out in purple items to satisfy the need to swing our e-peen around.

Also, read again snarky posters. I am in fact telling you that I play for the progression. Getting better gear as a means to an end. The better items are a means to get to the more difficult content (the ends). I merely stated I don't understand farmer mentality.

Most players want loot and thats all they play for? Let's see some numbers or hard proof to back up that 'most'. I think the 'most' described here is actually just a vocal minority. Most of the people I play with share my view. In ANY MMO.

Thanks for the breakdown on what I said and what I actually meant as well as the technical breakdown on the word many. That was very helpful.

Smart-a$$ and snarky posters are very much a majority on forums, those who will admit when they were wrong and apologize for acting that way for no reason are a rarity. Which are you?

And thank you pointsman for understanding what I was saying and attempting a voice of reason.

P.S. To the poster who likes to say 'except for YOU. YOU like..' Such could be interpreted as personal attacks which are a forum no-no. Care to press your luck further? Seems someone has an inflated opinion of their....opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    What I 'implied' is that a certain poster was wrong when they said 'people play MMOs because...

Its a misunderstanding in semantics then. Many people play MMOs for your reasons, many more people play MMOs for progression/fun/loot/epeen etc. Both reasons are valid and fair.

Sure you get progressions from Malabog Castle, but after you get your weapons, there is little progression/loot to be gained after that.

People have been mainly farming Castle Never for more than a year now for a reason
    edited May 2014
    What I 'implied' is that a certain poster was wrong when they said 'people play MMOs because...' I am a people. I play with other people. We don't chase loot to sell on the auction house or purely to have our characters decked out in purple items to satisfy the need to swing our e-peen around.

Also, read again snarky posters. I am in fact telling you that I play for the progression. Getting better gear as a means to an end. The better items are a means to get to the more difficult content (the ends). I merely stated I don't understand farmer mentality.

Thanks for the breakdown on what I said and what I actually meant as well as the technical breakdown on the word many. That was very helpful.

Smart-a$$ and snarky posters are very much a majority on forums, those who will admit when they were wrong and apologize for acting that way for no reason are a rarity. Which are you?

And thank you pointsman for understanding what I was saying and attempting a voice of reason.

You're welcome :) To be honest I think the forums are filled with people from the hardcore-gamer crowd, but I think Neverwinter is designed with the more casual gamer in mind. The hardcore gamer seems to have the farming mentality, the rush to have the absolute best gear in the shortest amount of time possible. (And then complain that there's nothing to do!) Like when they complain about the enchantment refining UI. "Why are there only 5 slots for refining? Why can't I put in 99 stones at once, after all, I buy stacks and stacks of 99 stones at a time from the AH because I must have my rank 10 enchant NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!" Well, that is because in *casual PVE play*, stones don't drop in stacks of 99, they drop only a couple at a time, and if you refine as you go during the normal course of PVE play, the enchantment refining UI works just fine.
    edited May 2014
    The hardcore gamer seems to have the farming mentality, the rush to have the absolute best gear in the shortest amount of time possible.

Ehhhh not exactly. Sure some of them fall into that trap, but I like to have to work for things. I don't prefer that you can get BIS gear within a week of farming. I don't need my rank 10 enchantments the next day. Thats why I like the Leadership profession. It takes a while to get to 20, but it continually gives you sufficient reward (10k diamonds per day) that is appropriate for the amount of work you put in.

What I have in common with those stereotypes that you just created is that I want to be able to keep farming. I want to have something to work for. I don't want my time in dungeons being wasted with a joke of a reward. I don't want to have worked for my BIS gear, gathered my BIS team efficiently complete a dungeon only to be rewarded with pathetic seals.
    edited May 2014

The thing is, unlike most games, your power isn't mostly dependent on gear. It's mostly dependent on enchantments.

If you think of a rank 10 enchantment as a new piece of equipment, and at 300 stat points it comes close, then maybe you'll understand "the farmer mentality".

I don't think most people want to farm stuff just to accumulate wealth. They want better gear so they can perform better in theoretically more difficult dungeons.

The farming is the means to the means to the end.